Cherry syrup is cherry juice reduced into a syrup. It is sweet and tart at the same time, and fairly thick. Good quality cherry syrup should taste strongly of fresh cherries.
The liquid surrounding commercial maraschino cherries is not cherry syrup, but rather a blend of corn syrup and red dye.
Some popular cocktails containing Cherry syrup
- Everybody Loves Hugo — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Crème de Cacao, Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Cherry, Cherry syrup
- Christmas Cheer — Becherovka, Pomegranate Liqueur, Bitters, Cherry syrup
- The Book Deal — Bourbon, Campari, Cynar, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Cherry syrup
- Fino Swizzle — Fino sherry, Cognac, Ruby Port, Bitters, Cherry syrup, Lemon juice
- The Chocolate Rye — Rye, Oloroso sherry, Cherry, Meyer lemon juice, Cherry syrup