|1 1⁄2||oz||Aperol (or Campari, plus)|
|1⁄2||oz||Lime juice (frozen into a cube)|
|1 1⁄2||oz||Tonic water (chilled)|
In advance, freeze Aperol and 1/2oz lime juice. Shake gin and 1/4oz lime juice, strain into lowball glass, add tonic, stir gently, add cube, serve with straw or spoon for imbiber to use to break up cube.
Beautiful, especially before it the cube melts much. It is the reverse of the usual cocktail -- a clear drink with a colored cube. The drink evolves nicely, and maintains a good sugar balance.
Created before I realized Todd Maul of Clio, Boston, MA was doing the same thing. http://www.improper.com/going-out/melt-down/. Posted on Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night, 6/9/2011.
From other users
- Starts as a straightforward Gin and Tonic, but the bitter orange flavor evolves. Sunny and fun.
- Better in theory than in practice in my experience. Due to the alcohol content my ice didn't freeze very solid, so it clouded up the drink as soon as added. Tasty enough but not pretty.
- All Hail to the Arsenal — Gin, Campari, Triple sec, Bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice
- The Lady Gin Fizz — Gin, Aperol, Rose Geranium Liqueur, Bitters, Soda water, Grapefruit juice, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Egg white
- Singapore Punch (Shelter) — Gin, Aperol, Cherry Liqueur, Bénédictine, Soda water, Lime juice
- Gin Hopper — Gin, Door County Hop Bitters, Tonic water, Grapefruit juice, Tangerine peel, Tangerine
- Lowcountry — Old Tom Gin, Fernet Branca, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Nice (by Way of Antibes) — Gin, Bénédictine, Sparkling water, Grapefruit juice, Lime peel
- Spider — Gin, Acqua di Cedro, Absinthe, Mace tincture, Soda water, Lemon juice, Lemon cordial, Nutmeg
- Sumo Cucumber Collins — Gin, Club soda, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Cucumber, Mint
- Cucumber Lime Swizzle — Gin, Aromatized wine, Elderflower liqueur, Lime juice, Soda water, Simple syrup, Cucumber
- Silver Gin Fizz — Gin, Egg white, Lemon juice, Soda water, Sugar