Gin, Aperol, Tonic water, Lime juice
In advance, freeze Aperol and 1/2oz lime juice. Shake gin and 1/4oz lime juice, strain into lowball glass, add tonic, stir gently, add cube, serve with straw or spoon for imbiber to use to break up cube.
Beautiful, especially before it the cube melts much. It is the reverse of the usual cocktail -- a clear drink with a colored cube. The drink evolves nicely, and maintains a good sugar balance.
Created before I realized Todd Maul of Clio, Boston, MA was doing the same thing. http://www.improper.com/going-out/melt-down/. Posted on Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night, 6/9/2011.
|Created & posted by||Dan on 06/10/2011|
From other users
Better in theory than in practice in my experience. Due to the alcohol content my ice didn't freeze very solid, so it clouded up the drink as soon as added. Tasty enough but not pretty.
Starts as a straightforward Gin and Tonic, but the bitter orange flavor evolves. Sunny and fun.
- All Hail to the Arsenal — Gin, Campari, Triple sec, Bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice
- The Lady Gin Fizz — Gin, Aperol, Bitters, Soda water, Grapefruit juice, Simple syrup, Rose Geranium Liqueur, Egg white
- Singapore Punch (Shelter) — Gin, Aperol, Cherry Liqueur, Bénédictine, Soda water, Lime juice
- Gin Hopper — Gin, Tonic water, Rangpur Gin, Grapefruit juice, Door County Hop Bitters, Tangerine peel, Tangerine
- Gin-Gin Mule — Gin, Ginger liqueur, Seltzer water, Lime juice, Orange bitters, Mint
- Cucumber Lime Swizzle — Gin, Elderflower liqueur, Soda water, Lime juice, Aromatized wine, Simple syrup, Cucumber
- Sumo Cucumber Collins — Gin, Club soda, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Cucumber, Mint
- Silver Gin Fizz — Gin, Egg white, Lemon juice, Soda water, Sugar
- The Elegant Fizz — Light rum, Orange liqueur, Dry vermouth, Cardamom bitters, Grapefruit juice, Club soda, Lime juice, Lime
- Pompelmo — Pisco, Elderflower liqueur, Aperol, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit juice, Seltzer water, Orange peel