Tonic water is a quinine-based bitter-sweet soft drink / mixer. Premium brands include Q Tonic and Fever Tree. Mainstream brands tend to be sweeter, although the Whole Foods 365 brand may than others.
A tonic syrup may be made and combined à la minute with seltzer or soda water, allowing control of the intensity and flavors of the tonic water, as well as the sweetness.
Tonic Syrup Recipes include:
Some popular cocktails containing Tonic water
- Omi and Opa — Gin, Campari, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Mr. Baily's Bender — Ginger liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Rhubarb bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Frosun — Gin, Aperol, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Cotton Sox — Gin, Herbal liqueur, Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Lime juice, Tonic water
- Slapping Incident — Rye, Fernet Branca, Faretti Biscotti, Lime juice, Sorghum Syrup, Tonic water, Black pepper, Sea salt