Rye, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lemon peel
Stir and strain down into a double-old fashioned glass. Express the lemon oil and wipe the peel along the glass rim before you drop it in.
This has been served to me with half as much Fernet and 1/4 oz more Rye which was also tasty, but the recipe here has more character and depth.
This may be based on Robert Vermeire's Fernet Cocktail in "Cocktails, How to Mix Them" (1922) - evidently, it was "much appreciated by the Canadians of Toronto."
|Created by||David Embury|
|Posted by||Ethan on 11/19/2010|
From other users
Had it at drink. Fernet is an acquired taste that I haven't yet acquired.
I like mine with 2/3 oz Fernet and 1/3 oz simple served up with orange or lemon twist.
- Nardini Mint Julep — Bourbon, Amaro, Simple syrup, Mint
- Fanciulli Manhattan — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Fernet Branca
- Ewing #33 — Jamaican rum, Fernet Branca, Pastis, Bitters, Spiced brown sugar syrup
- The Deliverance — Bourbon, Calvados, Fernet Branca, Maple syrup
- Scotland the Brave — Scotch, Sweet vermouth, Fernet Branca, Orange liqueur
- Cheeky Sazerac — Rye, Aperol, Peychaud's Bitters, Simple syrup, Herbal liqueur
- Patent Pending — Rye, Amaro, Sweet vermouth, Bitters
- Liberal — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Amer Picon, Orange bitters
- Dante's Requiem — Rye, Campari, Bénédictine, Fernet Branca, Herbal liqueur
- The Rebennack — Rye, Amaro, Orange liqueur