|1⁄2||oz||Red wine (Claret, as float)|
Muddle sugar with water, add all but wine, shake, strain, cocktail glass, float wine.
Also see New York Sour (Cognac) variation.
Originally was 1 Tbsp of sugar, reduced to 1 tsp as suggested by David Wondrich
From other users
- Very good made with Byrrh instead of red wine. It does sink, though, rather than float. A gentle stir is needed.
- Berkshire Daiquiri — Gold rum, Orange liqueur, Dry vermouth, Ginger shrub, Lime juice
- Manly Pink Drink — Midwest Wheat White Whiskey, Dry vermouth, Crème Yvette, Lemon juice
- Baumé Squad — Bourbon, Red wine, Bitters, Lemon juice, Grenadine, Orange juice, Orange peel
- Scofflaw 2 — Rye, Dry vermouth, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Grenadine
- Savory Smash — Rye, Cynar, Honey syrup, Lemon juice, Basil, Red Bell Pepper
- Bourbon Cocktail — Bourbon, Triple sec, Bénédictine, Bitters, Lemon peel, Lemon juice
- Freeman's Cocktail — Rye, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Pomegranate molasses, Simple syrup, Orange peel
- Blind Lemon Jefferson — Bourbon, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- Zuccotti — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Lemon juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Rattle-Snake Cocktail. — Rye, Lemon juice, Egg white, Rich simple syrup 2:1, Absinthe