|1||oz||Gin, Plymouth Navy Strength|
|1||oz||Lime cordial, Rose's (or homemade - see notes)|
Stir together. For an authentic shipboard Gimlet, do not add ice.
To make lime cordial, peel 4 limes, and juice 8 of them to make 1 cup of lime juice. Strain the juice and divide in half. Make a 2:1 simple syrup from half the lime juice, 1 tsp of citric acid and the peels, reducing the syrup slightly until thick. Remove from the heat, let cool, and add the remaining lime juice. Strain again and bottle. For a modern touch, a makrut (kaffir) lime leaf or two can be added to the syrup.
McElhone's book calls for equal parts, and I figure that this is a small drink.
- Old Vermont — Gin, Bitters, Lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup, Orange juice
- Bronx Bomber — Gin, Dry vermouth, Sweet vermouth, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Orange peel
- Brave Benbow — Gin, Old Tom Gin, Campari, Lime cordial, Kaffir lime leaf
- Bittered Gimlet — Gin, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Juliet & Romeo — Gin, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Mint, Rose water, Cucumber, Salt
- Just Let Me Sleep Here for a Few More Days — Gin, Allspice Dram, Sugar, Lime juice
- Annie Chambers — Gin, Blood Orange Liqueur, Grenadine, Lime juice
- Fig Bee's Knees — Gin, Bitters, Honey syrup, Lime juice
- Melon Stand — Gin, Aperol, Watermelon juice, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Rosemary Gimlet — Gin, Blood Orange Liqueur, Key lime, Simple syrup, Rosemary