"How High the Moon" Manhattan
This manhattan goes with Les Paul's classic like his guitar did with Mary Ford.
Combine in mixing glass over ice, stir for 30 secs, strain into coupe.
Nice showcase for the Bulleit, which is wonderfully green and grassy for a rye. The cherry shrub gives sharp top notes along with cherry umami to moderate the bitter Punt e Mes. Did your Dad ever add juice from the the jar of "maraschino" cherries to his manhattan? This cocktail mimics that but in a much more satisfactory way. If this drink evokes anything, perhaps it would be the guileless cocktail culture of the 50's when my Dad learned to mix drinks.
As this was being fused into being à la minute 6/25/11, "How High the Moon" by Les Paul and Mary Ford came onto the iPod. To me it was a happy coincidence.
|Created & posted by||Rob Marais on 06/25/2011|
- Greenpoint — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Herbal liqueur
- Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Cherry Liqueur, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- Black Rose — Bourbon, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon peel, Grenadine
- Historic Core Cocktail — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Apple brandy, Bitters, Herbal liqueur
- Tipperary Cocktail #3 — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Herbal liqueur
- Sioux City Slugger — Whiskey, Peychaud's Bitters, Demerara syrup
- The Jamaican Black Strap — Jamaican rum, Bitters, Water, Blackstrap molasses, Orange bitters
- Blue Christmas — Bourbon, Cognac, Bitters, Maple syrup
- On the Night You Were Born — Rye, Absinthe, Bitters, Pedro Ximinez Sherry
- Myrtle — Tennessee whiskey, Allspice Dram, Peychaud's Bitters, Aromatized wine