Amaro CioCiaro is a digestif amaro named after an old term for the central region of Italy. Invented in 1873, the recipe is a secret, but is based on bitter orange. It is dark brown in color, moderately sweet, and 60 proof.
CioCiaro can be used as a close substitute to the not yet imported Amer Picon. With a bit of tweaking, a very close approximation can be made.
Some popular cocktails containing CioCiaro
- Winter Soldier — Vodka, Bitters, CioCiaro, Half-and-half
- Pear Collins — Bourbon, Falernum, Bitters, Pear juice, Simple syrup, Lemon juice, CioCiaro
- Blue Collar Cocktail — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Orange bitters, CioCiaro, Lemon peel
- Daisy If You Do — Bourbon, Bénédictine, Bitters, CioCiaro, Agave syrup, Grapefruit juice, Lemon
- No Sleep 'Til... — Rye, Dry vermouth, Curaçao, Bitters, CioCiaro, Orange peel