Root is a brand of liqueur made by Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, a Philadelphia-based artist collective. Root is meant to mimic the flavor profile of pre-Prohibition root teas, which were the forerunner to today's root beer.
Root is organic and made from a distilled cane sugar base, flavored with birch bark, smoked black tea, orange and lemon peels, "sassafras essence" (as the FDA has banned the use of sassafras root of which the active chemical, safrole, may be a liver carcinogen), allspice, anise, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
Root is amber-brown in color and clear. It smells and tastes strongly of root beer, and is only moderately sweet. Root is 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Root liqueur
- Allen & Wright — Rye, Root liqueur, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup, Orange peel, Lemon peel
- Señor Staypuff — Root liqueur, Demerara Rum, Jamaican #1 bitters, Allspice Dram, Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters, Half-and-half, Crystal Rum, Club soda, Coffee syrup, Marshmallow
- Root Beer Barrel — Vanilla liqueur, Root liqueur, Triple sec, Jägermeister, Lemon juice
- Dr. Hadley's Root Restorative — Apple brandy, Root liqueur, Bénédictine, Brandy, Bitters, Chocolate bitters, Demerara syrup, Lime juice, Mint
- Black Scott — Scotch, Root liqueur, Blackstrap Bitters, Club soda, Grade A dark amber maple syrup, Cinnamon stick