Pear liqueur is a type of liqueur either naturally or artificially flavored with pears. Some high quality pear liqueurs are made from a base of pear brandy that is macerated with pears, then sweetened. Others are simply a neutral spirit with pear flavorings and sugar added. Pear liqueur is typically clear and pale yellow in color, though having a wood-aged spirit as the base may change that.
There are many brands of pear liqueur available in most markets, with some of the better ones being Mathilde, Belle de Brillet (which has a Cognac base), Clear Creek (from Oregon), and J Winery (in Sonoma County, California).
Most high quality pear liqueurs are bottled around 70 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Pear liqueur
- Pear Sidecar — Pear liqueur, Bitters, Spanish Brandy, Lemon juice, Oleo-saccharum
- A Polite Discretion — Guatemalan rum, Pear liqueur, Gran Classico
- Fire in the Orchard — Apple brandy, Aromatized wine, Pear liqueur, Mezcal, Lime juice, Agave syrup
- Jalisco Pear — Pear liqueur, Blanco tequila, Allspice Dram, Lemon juice, Pear
- Cherry Herring No. 2 — Kirschwasser, Sweet vermouth, Prosecco, Pear liqueur, Bitters