Overproof rum is any rum with more than about 80 proof. Unfortunately the term does not specify the flavor or origin of the rum desired. Overproof rum is usually used to raise the alcohol content in an otherwise low-alcohol drink.
Most overproof rums are 151 proof, which make them great extraction mediums for homemade liqueurs. Gosling's, Wray and Nephew, Bacardi, Coruba, and Lemon Hart all make overproof rums.
Some popular cocktails containing Overproof rum
- Hemingway Mocquiri — Light rum, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Overproof rum, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Rhubarb Jimjam — Rhubarb liqueur, Overproof rum, Averna, Lime juice, Orgeat
- French Connection — Light rum, Bianco Vermouth, Overproof rum, Luxardo Bitter, Grapes, Lime juice, Cane syrup
- The Burnt-Over District — Amer Picon, Apple brandy, Overproof rum, Bitters, Grapefruit juice, Cinnamon syrup, Grapefruit peel
- Coconut Water Highball — Overproof rum, Coconut Water, Pineapple, Orange