Overproof rum is any rum with more than about 80 proof. Unfortunately the term does not specify the flavor or origin of the rum desired. Overproof rum is usually used to raise the alcohol content in an otherwise low-alcohol drink.
Most overproof rums are 151 proof, which make them great extraction mediums for homemade liqueurs. Gosling's, Wray and Nephew, Bacardi, Coruba, and Lemon Hart all make overproof rums.
Some popular cocktails containing Overproof rum
- Rhubarb Jimjam — Rhubarb liqueur, Overproof rum, Averna, Lime juice, Orgeat
- Hemingway Mocquiri — Light rum, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Overproof rum, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Luau — Overproof rum, Demerara Rum, Jamaican rum, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Orgeat, Passion fruit puree
- Knuckleduster — Overproof rum, Sweet vermouth, Mezcal, Averna, Orange bitters
- Plato's cave — Overproof rum, Cynar, Licor 43, Coffee, Heavy cream