Gold rum is a type of rum that is typically colored with caramel to give it some richness, color and flavor. They typically lack the flavor and richness of rums aged in oak barrels.
Due to a lack of legal requirements for the different types of rum, the best rule of thumb is that if a rum is very inexpensive and says "Gold" on the label, it is most likely caramel colored.
The Brugal Gold Rum pictured is aged 1 year in a barrel.
Some popular cocktails containing Gold rum
- Gun Club Shrub — Gold rum, Triple sec, Pineapple juice, White balsamic vinegar, Orange oleo-saccharum
- Scorpion (Luau) — Gold rum, Gin, Brandy, Crushed ice, Orange juice, Lime juice, Orgeat, Simple syrup
- Rum Decker — Gold rum, Falernum, Virgin Islands Rum, Lime juice
- Dana Special — Gold rum, Campari, Passion fruit syrup, Lime juice
- Cosmic Charlie Swizzle — Gold rum, Cherry Liqueur, Galliano, Absinthe, Pineapple juice, Lime juice