Ginger syrup is a type of simple syrup that has fresh ginger infused into it. Fresh ginger not only is much easier to strain from the syrup than powdered ginger, but it has a fresh, lemony heat that pairs well in cocktails. Ginger syrup can also be used as a base for homemade ginger beer.
To make ginger syrup, take 1 cup of sugar and half a cup of water and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until lightly syrupy. Remove from heat, and add 1/4 cup julienned fresh peeled ginger. Cover the saucepan and let steep for 20 minutes, then strain and bottle.
Some popular cocktails containing Ginger syrup
- Sabor de Soledad — Reposado Tequila, Herbal liqueur, Pear eau de vie, Soda water, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup, Ginger syrup
- Pressgang Swizzle — Old Tom Gin, Jamaican rum, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Orgeat, Ginger syrup
- summer with andy — Bourbon, Bitters, Lemon juice, Ginger, Demerara syrup, Ginger syrup
- Variable High Cloudiness and Gusty Winds — Dark rum, Cynar, Lime juice, Ginger syrup, Blackstrap molasses
- Powers of Peat — Highland Scotch, Sweet vermouth, Absinthe, Islay Scotch, Ginger syrup, Lemon juice