Dewar's is a brand of blended Scotch whisky owned by Bacardi and made in Aberfeldy, Scotland. The Dewar's company was founded in 1846 by wine and spirits merchant John Dewar. At the time of his death in 1880, he had seven children, two of whom (John Alexander and Thomas) went on to manage the company.
In order to stabilize production, John built the Aberfeldy distillery in 1898 to supply a single malt Scotch as the heart of Dewar's. Thomas (usually called Tommy) became a world traveller, eventually writing a book about the places he had visited in order to sell his Scotch.
In 1925, Dewar's joined a conglomerate of Scotch distilleries known as the the Distillers Company. In 1986, Distillers Company was bought by Guinness, which merged with Grand Metropolitan in 1997 to form Diageo. In 1998, Dewar's was sold to Bacardi.
Dewar's has had seven Master Distillers in its history, with the first being A.J. Cameron, who came up with White Label in 1899, and also introduced the marrying process, where casks of single malt Scotch from the same distillery are blended together to harmonize flavors and to cut down on variance between barrels. More recently, Tom Aitken and now Stephanie Macleod have introduced a new range of age statements: Dewar's 12, Dewar's 18 and Dewar's Signature, which is meant to compete with Johnnie Walker Blue Label and other high-end blended Scotch whiskies.
The heart of Dewar's is Aberfeldy, but other Highland and Speyside single malts such as Royal Brackla, Craigellachie, Aultmore, and Macduff find their way into the blend.
Some popular cocktails containing Dewar's
- Xocolatl Talisman — Blended Scotch, Drambuie, Bitters, Coffee bean, Espresso, Agave syrup, Cayenne pepper
- Bitter Mac — Blended Scotch, Dry vermouth, Elderflower liqueur, Cynar, Lemon peel
- Tetanus — Drambuie, Scotch, Herbal liqueur, Triple sec, Orange bitters, Bitters, Celery bitters
- Let Me Draw You — Blended Scotch, Aromatized wine, Bénédictine, Pear liqueur, Bitters, Acid phosphate
- Under The Kilt — Blended Scotch, Applejack, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Pastis