Cynar (CHEE-nar) is a digestif amaro invented in 1952. The brand is now owned by the Campari group. Cynar is flavored with thirteen different herbs and spices, but most prominently, artichoke.
Cynar is a medium brown color fading to golden yellow at the rim, fairly sweet, and low in alcohol — 33 proof. It smells and tastes like buttery honey, with prevalent tobacco notes, and an astringent, herbal finish.
Some popular cocktails containing Cynar
- Honeymusk — Jamaican rum, Cynar, Lemon juice, Pineapple syrup
- Avioncito — Zucca, Cynar, Tequila, Lime juice
- Sonic Titan — Islay Scotch, Cynar, Zwack Unicum, Wormwood bitters, Crème de Cacao, Sea salt
- The Getaway — Virgin Islands Rum, Cynar, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Teenage Riot — Rye, Cynar, Amontillado Sherry, Dry vermouth, Orange bitters