Cruzan is a distiller of rum on the island of St. Croix. It was founded by Danish settlers in the 18th century, and takes its name from the "Crucians", the inhabitants of St. Croix.
Cruzan makes rum from molasses using the column distillation method, with the addition of commercial yeast. This quick fermentation and column distillation means Cruzan is a clean, delicate style of rum. It is aged in oak barrels.
Cruzan makes a wide line of rums:
- An aged light rum.
- a dark rum.
- an overproof dark at 151 proof.
- a blackstrap rum, distilled from blackstrap molasses. It is rich, highly colored and has a strong molasses flavor.
- a flagship rum called "Single Barrel". It is molasses based, and aged in used Bourbon and other whiskey barrels for between five and twelve years. This rum is then filled into new, charred barrels for a further year of aging. This extra time in a new, charred barrel imparts smoky, Cognac-like flavors to the rum. 80 proof.
- a range of flavored light rums, including a spiced rum called "9".
Some popular cocktails containing Cruzan
- Green Havana — Licor 43, Herbal liqueur, Rum, Water
- Lemon Twist — Rum, Drambuie, Tonic water, Lemon juice
- Nui Nui — Virgin Islands Rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lime juice, Orange juice, Cinnamon syrup, Vanilla syrup, Orange peel
- brown is the new black — Stout, Virgin Islands Rum, Bénédictine, Dark rum, Averna, Bitters, Whole egg