• Reply to: The Four Humours   by   4 years 4 months ago

I have a bottle of Santa Maria, and I think Nardini is significantly sweeter. I'd say Fernet Branca is closer, though it is heavier so I'd probably use a little less. I love Santa Maria.

• Reply to: The Four Humours   by   4 years 4 months ago

Dan,

I don't know - Brandon was pretty specific about the Santa Maria, to the point that I'm going to order some soon. I'm going to make this tonight subbing El Dorado 5 for the Cruzan and Luxardo Fernet for the Santa Maria, and we'll see. My guess is the amaro is the key to the drink.

Zach

• Reply to: The Four Humours   by   4 years 4 months ago

Sub Amaro Nardini for Santa Maria al Monte? I have seen Santa Maria around Boston, but haven't picked up a bottle yet.

• Reply to: Ticket to Paradise   by   4 years 4 months ago

Fixed. Thanks!

• Reply to: Ticket to Paradise   by   4 years 4 months ago

Note that the recipe on the original web page calls for sloe gin.

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   4 years 4 months ago

Glad you like this. It is a favorite of mine for when I have a bottle of St Germaine open. You might also try a touch of Campari added to a Pegu Club. This was a drink that got my wife to like Campari.

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   4 years 4 months ago

I have finally found something nice with Campari in! Really like this drink and the flavour pairing in it. Delightful!

• Reply to: Village Green   by   4 years 4 months ago

What do you mean by lemon oil in the garnish?

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   4 years 5 months ago

The Balsa Airplane variation is still one of my favorite cocktails- though I tend to use grapefruit juice in place of some of the lemon juice when I have it around. Reminds me of the Peralta, which I also really like.

• Reply to: Impromptu Sling   by   4 years 5 months ago

Just made this with Apricot Liqueur in place of the cherry. Impromptu and delicious!

• Reply to: Jasmine   by   4 years 5 months ago

I like 1 3/4 oz gin, 3/4 oz cointreau, 1/2 oz campari, 1/4 oz lemon juice with a twist .

• Reply to: Widow's Kiss   by   4 years 5 months ago

This one of those classic cocktails that requires some refinement for modern tastes. PDT version of 2oz, 1/4 oz, 1/4 oz is a fine ratio. While a decent 3 stars I like Christina's addition of lemon juice. I used about a tsp of lemon juice and used a 1/2 oz Benedictine based off the PDT version. It helped bridge the herbacous apple profile.

• Reply to: Between the Sheets   by   4 years 5 months ago

This came up on the homepage and I noticed your note about it being unremarkable. I couldn't agree more, and I never understood the appeal of mixing brandy and light rum. It seems like a waste of both.

I've seen a number of other drinks called a "Between the Sheets" in various old books, I think it was just a popular name a la the Corpse Reviver and the Aviation.

• Reply to: Contest now over. 7 copies of Bitter Drink by F. G. Haghenbeck were won!   by   4 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   4 years 5 months ago

Tried this tonight, and really liked it. I'd agree that it's unbalanced toward the sweet side (Campari + orgeat + curacao is a lot of sweet!) - I think that the next try will be with 1/4 curacao and 1/4 Ango orange to cut the sweetness, which should also enhance the bitter of the Campari somewhat.

Zachary

• Reply to: Marquee Cocktail   by   4 years 5 months ago

This looks and tastes like Tang. Weirdly I mean this in a good way.

• Reply to: New York Sour   by   4 years 5 months ago

Feel free to sub Byrrh for red wine -- works great, except that it sinks rather than floats.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   4 years 5 months ago

I have committed sacrilege. Out of a combination of laziness and curiosity, I used 2 spoons of raspberry syrup in place of the simple... I know, I know: the cocktail gods are frowning on me. But they can keep on frowning, because it turned out delicious! The raspberry plays with the Herbsaint, Peychaud's and lemon beautifully!...

I've made it twice now, first with Rittenhouse, and 1 dash Ango & 2 or 3 Peychaud's. But the second time, I used Wiser's Legacy (a new-ish high-rye Canadian), and in place of the Ango, I subbed Bitters, Old Men's limited edition Raspberry Chamomile Bitters. Neither version were overly sweet; the main differences (naturally) being spicier on the first vs. more floral on the second... While this won't be my go-to Saz, it's definitely a fun change of pace!

• Reply to: 1794   by   4 years 5 months ago

A malty alternative to my favorite Negroni.

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   4 years 5 months ago

Agree. It's my wife's absolute fave; I have to make it at least three times a week. Five stars all the way.

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   4 years 5 months ago

This is a fabulous cocktail -- a modern Hall of Fame contender. You have to get your head around the Italian amaro + tropical flavors juxtaposition. Once your mind settles down, it's a wonderful combination of flavors. The Smith & Cross is essential to have enough funk (and alcohol heat) to pull it off. It is a touch sweet, but even I (the hater of all overly-sweet drinks) love is as written. You could up the lime a bit, or scale back the Curacao, if desired.