• Leopold Meeks   3 years 26 weeks ago

I agree. Give it a go.

• Leopold Meeks   3 years 26 weeks ago

Maybe Bluecoat (out of Philly) would work - it's citrus + earthy/juniper

• Leopold Meeks   3 years 26 weeks ago

Hey Dan,
    The drink is built around that specific gin, so I'm afraid it may not with anything else. I'm going to say experiment, though! The key would be to find a gin that has a similar flavor profile that will work with the Green Chartreuse and bitters well. Perhaps another american small batch is out there that will work. American gins tend to have citrus notes that english ones don't. The citrus components of the gin are what make it work here (orange and pummelo zest). As far as bitters go, the Fee bros are what I had in mind & used, but experimentation will tell if Bittermans works well too.
    It just doesn't work with london dry gin, plymouth or old tom gin, though. Do let me know what you find. I'll see if I can come up with an alternate too.
    -John

• Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   3 years 26 weeks ago

Well, it's supposed to be a sidecar riff -- get it ;-)

I'm not sure Averna has the orange to pull it off, but it might be worth trying. I think it's Montenegro that's very orange forward, but I don't intend to buy it as I've heard it described as a "creamsicle." The simple was there only because the kumquats were very sour. Sometimes they are almost sweet, though.

I'll try what you suggest. Since you have Amer Picon, you could take it in that direction. I do have a small amount of Amer Picon Biere. Maybe try that.

• Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   3 years 26 weeks ago

Dan,

From looking at it, maybe drop the simple and change the Cointreau for Averna?

• Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   3 years 26 weeks ago

May be better with cognac for more base-spirit flavor. Try skipping Cointreau. Promising.

• Leopold Meeks   3 years 26 weeks ago

I understand the preference for some brands, but Leopold Brothers Gin is not distributed everywhere. Could another mainstream gin be used? And could not Bittermen's grapefruit bitters be used?

• Diamondback (Green)   3 years 26 weeks ago

I merged two identical recipes for this cocktail. This is the Green Chartreuse version. The original with yellow is not made as often anymore. If the original is made, consider reducing the yellow chartreuse to 1/2 oz to avoid being overly sweet.

• Buah Arak   3 years 27 weeks ago

Rob,

Did I ever tell you that I think Batavia Arrack smells like buttered stripper pole?

• Buah Arak   3 years 27 weeks ago

So funny! This kinda Tiki-ish cocktail serves only if you're "one and done". I'd recoil in horror if I'd had more! Thank Lordy that moderation is a virtue.

• Buah Arak   3 years 27 weeks ago

Wow... a whole ounce of Batavia Arrack. That frightens me about as much as a 3 oz glass of Parfait Amour scares Dan ;)

• Monkey Gland   3 years 27 weeks ago

Two variants of the Monkey Gland were combined. The other variation called for only 1/2 tsp of Absinthe and Grenadine.

• Haut-Medoc   3 years 27 weeks ago

So I'm busy today. My likker store actually sourced a bottle of Maurin Quina for me, and I made the drink as written (the bitters are dropper instead of dash). I like this, if I do say so myself. It tastes like a good left bank Bordeaux in a weird way, with woody notes forward, cassis and red fruit in the midpalate, then the bitterness of the Maurin Quina mixed with the chile-accented bitters on the finish. I think a bit of extra shaking is a good thing as it brings out the brambly Cassis more.

• Honeymusk   3 years 27 weeks ago

The 3/4 oz of pineapple version is better than the 3/4 oz lemon version. More pineapple develops the musky aroma that accents the Bananas Foster/estery rum nicely, and gives the palate a sweet and sour thing.

• Honeymusk   3 years 27 weeks ago

Smells great. Too much lemon, it compresses the midpalate. Maybe either 3/4 oz of pineapple or 3/4 oz of lemon would work. Will report back.

• Bengal   3 years 27 weeks ago

So I made this... made pineapple syrup, used (very) good brandy (Germain-Robin single barrel Viognier). Yes, it's sweet. Surprisingly, the Maraschino is forward. It needed some acid, badly, so I added 1/4 oz lemon. Still not a Dan kind of cocktail, but this has nice texture, and corrected for the modern palate, it's got redeeming qualities.

• Bengal   3 years 27 weeks ago

Personally, I would drop the pineapple syrup to 1/4 oz and add 3/4 oz lime - it might be like a Pegu Club then.

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

Rob,

If you put your finger in the middle of a map of Texas, you'll be close to where I live. But I'm going to make an effort to track down that Combier.

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

As for the calvados, scare away! And I was lucky to have found the Combier Rouge here in Boston at Cirace in the North End. If you're elsewhere, I'd advise you to ask about it. I'm an avowed cherry fiend, love making cherry shrub at home in season. That fresh/umami cherry taste is hard to beat.

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

Rob,

Ah... ok. I've got the Germain Robin apple brandy and Familie Dupont 86 vintage Calvados, which might scare some of those other ingredients into submission ;) I wonder if I can convince my likker store to carry the Combier stuff?

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

Truth to tell, I used "Originel" brand calvados that I bought today from Bauer on Newbury St because the price was right. It is rather fruit-forward and a more complex (and pricier) calvados might be more pleasing. I bought the Dolin from Bauer today as well, and I made this cocktail with the Dolin in mind. I wouldn't use Noilly Prat for this. Using Lillet blanc would make the drink fruitier and perhaps a bit flaccid; I'd definitely recommend using Cocci Americano as an alternative. The balance to me comes more through the herbal mix than from any bitter aspect, though I might try this sometime with cranberry or Burlesque bitters for fun.

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

Thanks Dan! Seriously, when I first sampled the Combier Rouge at Cirace in the North End it struck me with its freshness along with good cherry umami. I was impressed.

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

Rob,

This looks interesting -- which Calvados do you recommend, and does it achieve balance through the bitterness of the Vermouth?

• Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   3 years 28 weeks ago

This sounds lovely. Finger Lakes Distilling Cherry Liqueur is also less complex / fresher than Cherry Heering, and less sweet too. Alas, I think it is only available in New York State at this point. I'm looking forward to trying this. It seems like a fruity Manhattan, in an circuitous sort of way. (I took the liberty of adding Combier Rouge as a bona fide ingredient.)

• Barbary Lights   3 years 28 weeks ago

Tasted before and after adding kirschwasser - really does make a difference - rounds out the edges of the drink. Added a dash of angostura too.