• Reply to: Nameless Cocktail   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated to estimate the volume of grapefruit soda used to top the drink.

• Reply to: Savory Pimm's Cup   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated this - I know it's not easy, but we try to avoid "top with" amounts of ingredients due to different sized glassware. I'm assuming that 4 oz of birch beer would almost fill an ice-filled Collins that had 2 3/4 oz in it.

• Reply to: Bitter Spring   by   4 years 5 months ago

Love this beverage, Sother says you can use regular orgeat in place of the hazelnut and the drink won't suffer. It's really more of a float of Peychauds, the top sixth of the finalized drink should be red.

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   4 years 5 months ago

I have written the restaurant in the hopes of getting an authentic recipe. I did make this with, uh, liberal substitutions -- Punt e Mes for the Carpano Antica and Amaro Nardini for Creme de Cacao. I enjoyed the cocktail, although I would reduce the Mezcal to keep the smoke in balance, and I can see that more chocolate would be good. Still, a complex and entertaining drink, even with my approximation.

• Reply to: The Algonquin   by   4 years 5 months ago

I have had this a couple times and not very impressed with it. Strange enough I was looking through the Craft of the Cocktail and Dale DeGroff had a completely different version but stated it was served at the Algonquin Hotel....hmmm either way it sounded tastier then the original I've always known. 2oz light rum, 1/2oz blackberry brandy, 1/2oz Benedictine, 1/2 oz lime juice. Shaken, strained, cocktail, cherry garnish. Anyone else read anywhere to substantiate Mr DeGroffs claimed version?

• Reply to: The Powhatan   by   4 years 5 months ago

Cleaned this up a bit - removed "fresh" from the ginger - we assume all fresh ingredients are fresh. I also removed the "Any Call Brand" from the Rye - we also assume you're using high quality ingredients and that if you think any Rye will work, other people will use whatever Rye they have on hand.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lipspin   by   4 years 5 months ago

This sounded interesting, but I think it really needs some acid. May give it a try again next time I am stumped by what to do with my sloe gin; I used the Bitter Truth.

• Reply to: Summer Blush   by   4 years 5 months ago

I just made this for the first time in many months, and it really is good- the cucumber and St. Germain make for such a refreshing way to drink tequila (which I admittedly don't tend to gravitate towards, but tonight was Rick Bayless night....)

• Reply to: The Winchester   by   4 years 5 months ago

This is a ridiculous and wonderful cocktail. Nice and tart, great sweetness and color. A sneak attack. The St-G is under-pronounced; my only complaint. 4.5/5.

• Reply to: Steve's Word   by   4 years 5 months ago

Confirmed: bold and interesting. Very tasty, very successful. 4.5-5/5.

• Reply to: The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan   by   4 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan   by   4 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: Absinthe Suissesse   by   4 years 5 months ago

So my bottle of $30 Pernod absinthe was staring at me tonight, and I decided to make one. I decided to put half a dozen drops of orange flower water on top of the finished drink, which I think is a very nice touch. As I'm sitting here drinking it, I'm realizing that even though Pernod absinthe is 136 proof, there's 8 3/4 oz of other stuff to knock down the alcohol. There's something very nice about the absinthe + orgeat + OFW combination, and at the first sip, it hits me - the OFW brings out a lot of minty notes from the absinthe in the drink. I'm now beginning to suspect that the mid-30's Suissesse (from Arthur) was full of creme de menthe to add mint flavors back into a drink that had lost mint flavors when absinthe was banned in the US in 1915.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lua Bonita (Beautiful Moon)   by   4 years 5 months ago

I don't think I've ever had another drink that brought out the "grapey-ness" of sweet vermouth so amazingly. Insanely delicious against the bitter Campari. I'm guessing the cachaca is is doing something to showcase the other flavors. 5/5.

• Reply to: Cocktail à la Louisiane   by   4 years 5 months ago

Slight tweak to this cocktail to be published in Diffords #10 (see <a href="http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-09-13/pa...).

More rye, less benedictine and the balance of bitters/absinthe changed.

• Reply to: Loop Tonic   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated slightly - changed lemon juice to lime juice to bring the drink in line with the citation.

• Reply to: Seelbach   by   4 years 5 months ago

This is an excellent selection for brunch or a lighter cocktail in the afternoon -- much better than a Mimosa. Despite the heavy dose of bitters, it is not particularly bitter. The acidity of the wine balances the triple sec nicely; the result is still tart.

• Reply to: Fire Cherry Cocktail   by   4 years 5 months ago

Nice. Maybe less Maraschino and scale to a more manageable size? I split one, so it either makes one huge or two tiny drinks.

• Reply to: Bitter Blossom   by   4 years 5 months ago

Yup, work is how I make 90% of all the drinks I want to try or create, though my home bar has become pretty respectable over the years. It's far easier to do it that way, and you can transfer the costs to R&D if your accounting is set up that way. Dante's Requiem is definitely more adventurous of a cocktail. I love Yellow Chartruese but green is a bit more touchy, like when using absinthe and Branca....well, you have to like Branca, even a couple dashes is potent for most. ( I've found that a couple dashes is about an 1/8 tsp or so). as for Benedictine, it's well worth the cost for home, it's just wonderful stuff. We use it in or Manhattan here. By the way, way more fun than cooking, David, ha! Cheers!

• Reply to: Creep   by   4 years 5 months ago

Thanks for pointing out the lack of directions. I fixed that. Tremontis is the brand of mirto that I can get here in Boston.

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

the lactart is TONS of fun to play with, i am so glad you got it! i cant tell you how amused i was at first tasting the stuff..... i kept turning it over and over in my mind.... flavorless acidity... the possibilities! thank you again and again for your articles... honestly they were the direct inspiration for the drink i made with that substance. try it on a nice anejo margerita and watch how beautifully the flavor of the tequilla comes out without the lime. a half dash at a time and taste taste taste as you add. its so exciting to me watching flavors meld apart and back together when making drinks. its so much more fun than cooking! cheers!

• Reply to: Bitter Blossom   by   4 years 5 months ago

very nice, indeed, i am a big fan of the add more rye tweak, made it for my gf later that night and cut back the carpano for her taste.... benedictine, brilliant. ironically or not, i actually had benedictine on my list of things to buy next, literally.. next. i really appreciate the feedback.i was actually eyeballing "dante's requiem" a few nights ago..... that is actually one i would rather try at work.. i know a few people that would appreciate it... i will absolutely let you know. thanks again.

• Reply to: Eastern Exposure   by   4 years 5 months ago

Used Canton (because that's what I had) and Bulleit Rye (because I'm, well, me and will almost always go rye over bourbon). Very tasty cocktail, and perfect for, well, a night like tonight.

• Reply to: Creep   by   4 years 5 months ago

This sounds interesting. Have not seen Mirto over here so might take some online investigation. Also no directions but I'm assuming shaken over rocks given the amounts, correct?

• Reply to: The Bitter Philadelphian   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated this slightly. In a 9 oz glass full of ice, you're liable to get 5-6 oz of Chinotto in the glass. We try to be precise with volumes, avoiding "top with" as an instruction, as glass size varies pretty wildly.

Zachary