• Reply to: Apple of My Rye   by   3 years 6 months ago

Good point. Moderated to change orange bitters unit to dash, added garnished to ingredient list, and condensed instruction to standard format.

• Reply to: Negroni (Katie Loeb)   by   3 years 6 months ago

Renamed from "My Best Negroni" to "Negroni (Katie Loeb)"; with her consent via eGullet message. While Katie's name works well within the context of her bar, it doesn't work so well when published globally. She notes that she is a super-taster and finds the bitter elements in this version very much to her liking.

• Reply to: Maximillian's Downfall   by   3 years 6 months ago

Moderated to put into standard format and remove errant ingredient. The original calls for "Roasted Coconut Juice". How is this made or is it purchased? Seems like way too much volume for a cocktail glass. Perhaps it makes two drinks?

• Reply to: Apple of My Rye   by   3 years 6 months ago

I am assuming the 2 oz. of orange bitters is a typo, yes? I like my orange bitters as much as the next guy but. . .

• Reply to: Bison Drop   by   3 years 6 months ago

This sounds very nice and the name gave me a chuckle. I added the garnish to the ingredients and clarified the copyright on the image. Thanks!

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   3 years 6 months ago

I decided to try this since I have this newly found surplus of homemade orgeat... Absolutely delicious, 5/5. Orgeat finishes cocktails in the same way a nice Picada finishes a Spanish seafood stew.

• Reply to: 17th Century Cocktail   by   3 years 6 months ago

Well, I could tell by the description that this would probably be too dry for me, though the ingredients got my attention. I had a regular navel orange to work with. I liked it with .75 oz orgeat (the homemade stuff is just so good) and an equal measure of lime. Sorry for over-modifying....

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   3 years 6 months ago

I made this again with homemade orgeat, and it is just sublime. I rounded up a bit on the orgeat, and down on the angostura orange bitters, and it really was just perfect.

• Reply to: Ce Acatl   by   3 years 6 months ago

I was waiting to try this until I had homemade orgeat (thanks Zachary!). Orgeat and Sherry- this combination is new to me, but they seem made for each other. I also tried this with a dash of Luxardo Maraschino, which is really good if you like that funky note.

• Reply to: Life Sentence   by   3 years 6 months ago

We had a Life Sentence vs. Prosecutor Throwdown; these cocktails are rather similar (Benedictine vs. Yellow Chartreuse; bitters or not; slight differences in Rye: liqueur ratio). In these recipes, the Benedictine and Yellow Chartreuse are pretty interchangeable. While both were good, for us, the slight edge went to the Life Sentence; the bitters made the difference. Used Wild Turkey Rye.

• Reply to: Peralta   by   3 years 6 months ago

Apologies for the inaccuracies, now corrected. I'm not sure what Deep Elum's house aromatic bitters are like, but I think regular Angostura or similar would work well. Attribution corrected. Gratitude to Cocktail Virgin Slut's excellent blog.

• Reply to: Bumblebee   by   3 years 6 months ago

Updated to clarify ingredients, quantities, and method. Bitters corrected from Angostura Orange to regular Angostura.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   3 years 6 months ago

I think Bourbon here is the way to go - you need the sweetness to balance out the allspice and lime. I like something fairly high proof - Booker's, Rowan's Creek, Baker's.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   3 years 6 months ago

Would like to know which bourbons or whiskeys for that matter work best? We were playing around today and found not all bourbons are up to the task. Any favorites?

• Reply to: Autumn's Dawn   by   3 years 6 months ago

Used Clear Creek "Eau de Vie de Pomme" instead of Lairds. Absolutely amazing.

• Reply to: Pear Dauphine   by   3 years 6 months ago

St. Germain has a pear-like flavor, so this pairing makes sense; it brightens the pear brandy without overwhelming it.

• Reply to: Pimm's Italiano   by   3 years 6 months ago

I made this using ginger beer instead of ginger ale; I think this would taste better with more like 1 oz ginger ale (or beer), as it pretty much drowned out the Pimm's and Fernet Branca. But it is refreshing and a good idea otherwise.

• Reply to: Her Majesty's Pearl   by   3 years 6 months ago

This is good, but I think next time I'll skip the Cognac as I don't think I'll ever acquire a taste for it.

• Reply to: Second Squadron   by   3 years 6 months ago

I made this as written and it was quite good, very grapefruit-forward. Like a (much) improved Sea Breeze.... I liked it even better adjusting the proportions slightly to .3 oz each of the liqueurs and juices, with .3oz Campari added.

• Reply to: Widow's Kiss   by   3 years 6 months ago

I wasn't crazy about this as written; adding .75 oz lemon juice made it much better.

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   3 years 6 months ago

I really like the way the Calvados, Chartreuse, and Creme Yvette combine, but I'm not sure that I care for the gin flavor in the mix- I'll try with less next time, as this was a little boozy-tasting. I used Tanqueray which maybe wasn't the best choice...

• Reply to: Dirt 'n Diesel   by   3 years 6 months ago

I doubled the lime, subbed ginger syrup for the demerera and Pusser's British Navy for the Cruzan Blackstrap (not a fan of the Blackstrap). With these changes I thought this was pretty good.

• Reply to: Margara   by   3 years 6 months ago

A little bitter, a little spicy. I'll try a bit less orange next time. I used Don Julio Anejo.

• Reply to: Peralta   by   3 years 6 months ago

herbal, mildly bitter, and bright- like this a lot. Though the I didn't know what a dash of orange and grapefruit meant (bitters?), I assume a typo- so I had to skip that part.

• Reply to: Joe Riley   by   3 years 6 months ago

I did like this better with more lemon (but that is a common adjustment for me)- I increased it to 1/2 oz.