• Reply to: Apple Jack Rabbit   by   3 years 7 months ago

BTW, you made it before we corrected the recipe to include orange juice. I still think your absinthe garnish sounds nice. Anise and maple sounds unusual -- in a good way.

• Reply to: Apple Jack Rabbit   by   3 years 7 months ago

Curated with poster's permission/approval to include the missing orange juice and some history. This is rather a difficult drink to list because the original is undrinkable by today's standards and there seems to be no consensus about how that should be remedied.

• Reply to: Apple Jack Rabbit   by   3 years 8 months ago

Excellent with a few drops of absinthe to garnish.

• Reply to: Beuser & Angus Special   by   3 years 8 months ago

Divine nectar.

• Reply to: Culross   by   3 years 8 months ago

Curated to reflect authentic historic drink, with modern improvements moved to the notes.

• Reply to: Tantris Sidecar   by   3 years 8 months ago

REALLY good. Was tempted to dock half a star due to labor intensity, but couldn't do it. ✯✯✯✯✯

• Reply to: Broken Shoe Shiner   by   3 years 8 months ago

That is odd. The recipe came directly from the first edition of Rogue Cocktails -- now renamed Beta Cocktails. The blurb from the first edition is reproduced in this blog post by Fred Yarm on Cocktail Virgin Slut, along with some interesting backstory.

The only difference I see in the two recipes is that the one from Rogue Cocktails specifies merely "Pernod," but which we assume Stephen means Pernod brand pastis. Rimbaud's Left Hand on about.com specifies "Pernod Absinthe." This is a quite different from the sweet low-alcohol pastis of the Rogue Cocktails recipe. Interestingly, the photograph on the about.com page is copyright Pernod Absinthe.

I wonder if Pernod modified the recipe when it introduced its Absinthe. This is mere speculation, of course. I will see if I can contact Stephen Cole and find out.

• Reply to: Broken Shoe Shiner   by   3 years 8 months ago

This exact recipe is posted on About.com and is called "Rimbaud's Left Hand." Any background on which name is more authentic?

• Reply to: Airmail   by   3 years 8 months ago

Made with El Dorado 12 year rum, this is one of my favorite drinks of all time. I made this at my brother-in-law's wedding reception, and it was a huge hit.

• Reply to: Violet Hour   by   3 years 8 months ago

Curated to provide another instruction, detail on bitters, and another source reference.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 8 months ago

Really a dessert drink. Too sweet as written for before dinner. I don't know how much 3 dashes of cocoa powder is, so I used 1/2 tsp. The drink has an interesting balance between the herbal, bitter, mint/menthol, and chocolate.

• Reply to: Twentieth Century Cocktail   by   3 years 8 months ago

Curated to spell out name and merge into this cocktail the variations of the existing "modern" variation.

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 8 months ago

Happy Day! Bittermen's Amere Nouvelle is now being distributed. I haven't seen it yet in the Boston area, but DrinkUpNY has it for NYC and mail order (into those states that can). Also, if you click the Amer Picon link in the recipe, you'll find similar information to these comments.

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   3 years 8 months ago

The cocktail was updated to reflect the authoritative recipe in the PDT cocktail book. The previous (very similar) recipe was for a smaller less boozy drink: 1:2/3:1/2

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 8 months ago

Hi Rob,

Amer Picon is not currently imported into the States and is therefore tough to find. Two good substitutes are Torani Amer and CioCiaro.

• Reply to: Dirt in my Drink   by   3 years 8 months ago

Just made it again tonight for the first time in a long time. Those little cans of prune juice have been littering up the refrigerator long enough. I tried it with both 1/2 and 1 full oz of prune juice and was happy with it as written. My wife didn't like it when I made it last time, but came around this time.

You are right prunes. A favorite ice cream of mine is "dried plum armagnac" from Lizzy's in Waltham, MA. Do you think it would sell as well a "prune brandy ice cream?"

• Reply to: Dirt in my Drink   by   3 years 8 months ago

Dan, actually this sounds pretty yummy! Prunes have a bad rap, they are only dried plums and delicious properly dried. The Cynar and lime juice read like they hit the right notes, and I like the arrack and rye backbone. I'm gonna try this!

• Reply to: Bitter Spring   by   3 years 8 months ago

Out of curiosity I made toasted hazlenut orgeat, though I don't think it is really necessary. This is similar to (but not quite as good as) the Golden Gate Swizzle. I used Canton in place of ginger syrup, Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr rum, and strained it as I wasn't wanting the slushy preparation.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 8 months ago

Thanks for the attribution info. Updated. Also tweaked the ingredients to correspond to the instructions.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 8 months ago

This is Chris Kiel's cocktail, in case anyone wants to update the reference. He has not made me a cocktail that I haven't loved...

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 8 months ago

I was afraid this would be a horrific experience that might forever repel me from two of my best loves, fernet and Chartreuse. To the contrary, it was an astonishing delight! Not one of the greatest cocktails I've ever had, but definitely "damn tasty." I dare say the cocoa-fernet-Chartreuse combination is ingenious, and the egg white gives it great body. Thanks for posting!

• Reply to: Americano   by   3 years 8 months ago

Improved recipe to specify the amount of soda (equal parts of all ingredients). Added a reference to the Campari website.

• Reply to: Americano   by   3 years 8 months ago

I love this made with Gran Classico and Carpano Antica

• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   3 years 8 months ago

I'm not sure where I got this. I probably was from an online forum.

• Reply to: Dernier Mot   by   3 years 8 months ago

Curated to improve attribution and clarify authentic ingredients.