• Satan's Whiskers Cocktail   3 years 31 weeks ago

Corrected recipe. Increased first 3 ingredients from 1/2 to 3/4 oz, and added missing Grand Marnier. Added attribution.

• Rose Window   3 years 31 weeks ago

Dan,

Yeah, I think it needs 3/4 to an ounce of lemon. I also think the egg not only homogenizes the flavors, but interferes with your ability to taste sweet and sour flavors specifically. I do appreciate your trying the drink, especially considering your proclivities towards less sweet drinks.

• Rose Window   3 years 31 weeks ago

I tasted it warm with 1/4 oz Violette, prior to the egg and liked it. As written it is a bit flat. I think the egg white is homogenizing the flavors, which makes the 1 oz of Violette tolerable. Still, a sharper cocktail would be better, and I think acid fights an egg white's dampening effects. I might try skipping the egg white (although the texture is lovely) and scaling back the Violette, or really upping the lemon, or both. Note: I'm not a huge fan of Grandma's Perfume, so a little Violette goes a long way for me.

• Piña Ahumado   3 years 31 weeks ago

Good cocktail, but a rather sweet. Would benefit from more bite from acid and alcohol. Suggest flipping Cynar and Tequila ratios, adding more lemon, and perhaps reducing Cointreau or eliminating it add upping the orange bitters (maybe Angostura orange). Promising.

• Red Envelope   3 years 31 weeks ago

hi, zpearson! thanks for the question. since i helped create the cocktail, i thought i would help explain it. like most bartenders, i have a fondness for the negroni. our pairing of gin with amaro stems from the negroni's philosophy of pairing gin with bitter campari and vermouth. amari and gin achieve a similar bittersweetness. the addition of aperol broadens that, while a touch of benedictine adds a hint of honey. the bittermens burlesque bitters (floral and peppery) were used to tie all the flavors together. if you have any more questions, please write to us at info@fordmixologylab.com

cheers!

• Radical   3 years 31 weeks ago

Looks like a fizz riff on a Liberal... I'll have to try that. Two questions, though. First, if you've had Amer Picon (or a homemade version), could you sub it for the orange juice? Second, I've been looking at the Scrappy's Lime bitters... how are they?

• Rose Window   3 years 32 weeks ago

Dan,

You might need a full ounce of lemon, but I think it'd be more of a violet sour. CdV isn't that sweet, or at least the sweetness is rather transparent. I'd like your opinion of this and the Piña Ahumado as well.

• Rose Window   3 years 32 weeks ago

1 ounce of Violette. Not teaspoon, not dash, not drop... I'm scared.

• Rose Window   3 years 32 weeks ago

Lemon might need to be 3/4 oz - I'm fascinated by the way pineapple texturizes a drink... I also think you might be able to take this in a different direction subbing Peychauds for Regans' and a rinse of Pernod - think the whole faded violet/pastille accord.

• Linden Square   3 years 32 weeks ago

Maybe they're going for the citrus + spice thing?

• Guyana Flip   3 years 33 weeks ago

Made this tonight. Seems like a great idea - love Demerara rum, love Cynar, love the idea of flips. The rum is obviously present here - that burnt sugar smokyness comes through on the finish nicely. Smells nice, good texture, but the Cynar and Port are lost in the middle of the drink. I think the next go round will be without the Port and a full ounce of Cynar, and probably a dash of Angostura. Other than that, perhaps switching out the Port for something like Domaine Canton Ginger liqueur.

• Fumidus   3 years 33 weeks ago

So I made this again, with the sub of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, as Dan suggested. I still like the flamed orange peel, though. With the addition of the Mole Bitters, the drink is more cohesive.

I liked the sweetness of the Fee's Whiskey Barrel Aged 09, but the cocktail is now firmed on the back end by the bitters - it's citrus fruit up front, smoky/tobacco in the midpalate, then bitter and chocolatey that lingers. I like this. I'm changing the recipe entry to Xocolatl Mole Bitters... now for a name ;)

• Fumidus   3 years 33 weeks ago

Fascinating cocktail. I was initially skeptical about the Islay Scotch. I often find that Islay-heavy cocktails are good, but not as good as a nice Islay neat. I made it as stated (1:1:0.5:0.5), except with Bowmore Legend.

This drink however brings together the disparate flavors of the bitter, spicy Punt e Mes, the bitter, savory Cynar, and the smoky Scotch. I thought that maybe the Lemon would be the odd man out, and I tasted the drink at room temperature before adding the lemon. It was very good. I usually don't like sweeter drinks, but I found it very appealing without the lemon. The lemon does add both brightness and the actual lemon notes, which complements the Cynar. It reduces the bitterness a bit, but there is sufficient bitterness to retain interest. It also lends a nice transition, with the smoke and acid and lemon flavors giving way to the lingering bitterness. A good sipper.

I had two thoughts for other directions to try. The first would be substituting lemon bitters for the lemon, and garnishing with a huge expressed lemon peel. The second was to try Xocolatl Mole bitters becauese I think the bitter cacao flavor would go well with the peaty scotch and the Punt e Mes spice.

As written this is a very good cocktail, and a surprise as well.

• No Mint Bittered Cynar Julep   3 years 33 weeks ago

It's pleasant. I subbed Clement VSOP for the Matusalem. I think it lacks a bit of oomph in the midpalate, and nothing really stands in the forefront. Perhaps a rinse of Fernet Branca to punch up the bitter?

• Fernet Flip   3 years 33 weeks ago

Improved attribution; added garnish and glassware.

• Red Envelope   3 years 34 weeks ago

If you'd be so kind.... I'm fascinated by cocktail theory. Can you explain some of the thought process behind the drink? I've been struggling with the whole Gin + Amaro accord lately, so this is interesting. Thanks in advance.

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 34 weeks ago

Added garnishes, instructions, and attribution link.

• Volstead (revised)   3 years 34 weeks ago

Minor edit: Herbsaint is a type of Pastis, rather than Anisette. Thanks for the contribution.

• Monaco   3 years 35 weeks ago

Sounds lovely. I'm wondering if something like Clement Creole Shrubb's bitter orange notes would be welcome. (I have not tried Harlequin, however.) Thanks for the contribution.

• Periodista   3 years 36 weeks ago

Recipe revised from 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz each of triple sec and apricot liqueur.

• La Perla   3 years 38 weeks ago

Clarified that the sherry should be very dry, preferable a Manzanilla.

• Suffering Bastard   3 years 38 weeks ago

Someone's copy of The Atlantic Monthly came... ;-) The Hangover Cure, January/February 2011.

The Atlantic Monthly's Derek Brown wrote about this cocktail, and in his recipe allows for ginger beer, which I think would make a very interesting drink.

• Improvements: September 2010   3 years 39 weeks ago

Changing cocktails in bulk has been implemented. See the GOODIES menu, MARK COCKTAILS. Thanks for the idea.

• Colonel Carpano   3 years 39 weeks ago

Ooh, ooh, just got a bottle of Zucca. Good stuff. I've added it as an ingredient in Kindred Cocktails. And, yes, you do want a bottle of Cynar.

• Colonel Carpano   3 years 40 weeks ago

Had the guys at Anvil make this for me, subbing Rittenhouse 100 for Bourbon and Zucca Amaro (rhubarb based) for Cynar... It was all bitter chocolate and wintry spice and enough citrus for balance. Really really good, and makes me want a bottle of Cynar ;)