• Reply to: Rosita   by   4 years 3 months ago

Curated to move brands from notes to Brands (Fee's, Noilly Prat, Partida)

• Reply to: Royal Bermuda Yacht Club   by   4 years 3 months ago

Curated this to conform to the VS&FC recipe. Updated creator and source information.

• Reply to: Holland House   by   4 years 3 months ago

Cleaned up a little - moved Bols from the notes to the brand, removed fresh from the notes on the lemon juice. Added history section - this is a bizarre drink.

• Reply to: Brandy Crusta   by   4 years 3 months ago

Cleaned this up to reflect the Ted Haigh version and to bring it in line with the Jerry Thomas recipe. The original drink was much more like a Cognac sour (with 3/4 oz sweet and 1/2 oz sour in addition to the Cognac).

Like the Mint Julep, the allure of the Crusta is the forcible insertion of your nose into the towering lemon peel. There is enough lemon from the moistened rim and the aroma of the peel to balance this, and the sugar helps moderate the woodyness and proof of the Cognac (the drink pictured is 1 oz Louis Royer Force 53 and 1 oz Germain Robin Viognier Single Barrel).

Zachary

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   4 years 3 months ago

OK, I figured this out, and curated this somewhat. Naming convention within KC is to simply have the numerical year after the product, so El Dorado 5, Lagavulin 16. I changed the Whistlepig to Whistlepig 10 to reflect that.

Laird's makes an applejack (GNS + apple brandy) without an age statement. They also make a BIB apple brandy, a 7.5 year and a 12 year. So... either this is meant to be applejack without an age statement, or the ingredient should be changed to apple brandy. I chose to keep the applejack, and removed the age statement. By the way, Food Republic (the source) has it wrong, not the poster.

• Reply to: Andean Exposition   by   4 years 3 months ago

By the way, using tequila reposado instead of pisco in this drink is just as awesome and takes your sip in another interesting direction, as I'm finding out tonight.

• Reply to: Spanish Sigh   by   4 years 3 months ago

Christina,

Glad you like it - I can't recommend LH 151 enough. It gives you punch without much volume, and it's indispensable for infusions. If you can find the other Ed Hamilton rums (La Favorite, Duquesne, Neisson), you can find LH.

Zachary

• Reply to: Craft Cocktail Making: Theory and Structure of Acidity   by   4 years 3 months ago
  • Reply to: Spanish Sigh   by   4 years 3 months ago

Made it, and this is really good. I subbed smith and cross rum since I don't have the 151. I'm going to need more of the spanish bitters, as I fully intend to keep making this- thanks for sharing.

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   4 years 3 months ago

Laird's makes a 7 and 1/2 year apple brandy (not applejack - though I believe their bonded is also technically an apple brandy?). I assume that's what they are referring to here.

• Reply to: Spanish Sigh   by   4 years 3 months ago

Christina,

Yeah, East India Solera would be a fine sub for Lustau Cream.

Zachary

• Reply to: Drink Lab #16   by   4 years 3 months ago

Christina,

The Burlesque bitters are more hibiscus + sour red fruit, maybe a bit of grenadine would work.

• Reply to: Spanish Sigh   by   4 years 3 months ago

This looks really good. Do you think I it would be worth trying with lustau east india solera, or better to wait until I've found the specified cream sherry?

• Reply to: Drink Lab #16   by   4 years 3 months ago

I just made a batch of orgeat, and the cherry almond combination was calling to me. I had to do a lot of substituting: courvoisier cognac, clear creek cherry liqueur, and I used my spanish bitters since I don't have the burlesque. My approximation tastes pretty good, slightly bitter cherry with subtle almond in the background- though I'm curious to know if I'm even in the right flavor neighborhood at this point.

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   4 years 3 months ago

Quick question - what's the 7.5 mean with the Laird's?

Zachary

• Reply to: Tennessee   by   4 years 3 months ago

I revised this to the recipe that I found in CocktailDb. I'd love to have an authenticated reference, if anyone knows one.

• Reply to: Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder   by   4 years 3 months ago

Very nice, Scott, and I love the name. I used Obsello absinthe.

• Reply to: Freeman's Cocktail   by   4 years 3 months ago

Curated slightly - removed (fresh) in the note for the lemon juice - the Style Guidelines are pretty clear that we assume everything is fresh, etc...

• Reply to: Orange and Tamarind Elixer   by   4 years 3 months ago

Curated slightly - changed the unit on the cilantro to "leaf", and removed the note - we assume fresh ingredients already. Two quick questions: Is the tamarind paste added with the orange juice? It seems to be omitted from the instructions. Cocktails that are not your invention, but are taken from an authoritative source should be marked "Authentic" instead of "Original". I can go back and change these, if you'd like.

• Reply to: Ginger Apple Wassail   by   4 years 3 months ago

Dan may chime in here, but from my perspective, it means I get an article in a queue called Ingredients without Pages named "Ground cinnamon", which means I get to write something about how ground cinnamon is different from cinnamon, which doesn't make a lot of sense. It's the same thing that happens with a lot of homemade syrups - people enter them as ingredients instead of attaching a note to the bottom as to how to make their rosepetal and moondust infused jaggery syrup.

The Notes/Processing box is for just that - you're telling people that the cinnamon should be ground before using. I think, and I think Dan would agree with me, that we should have as few ingredients as we can get away with. But I'll talk to him, and we'll see.

Zachary

• Reply to: Ginger Apple Wassail   by   4 years 3 months ago

I went back and forth on that before I submitted. In the end I felt that ground cinnamon is different than cinnamon (stick). It's a different ingredient actually and if I was scanning the ingredient list and had to go shopping for the cinnamon I'd pick up sticks instead of a jar of ground cinnamon. The "ground" is not the preparation you do at home to the cinnamon (although you could), it's the ingredient itself... Ground Cinnamon.

I'm not going to change it back, but I do feel it should be listed as Ground Cinnamon to avoid confusion.

• Reply to: Bywater   by   4 years 3 months ago

Lime would definitely help; it needs acid and tartness. All I can really taste is the Chartreuse; the Averna is basically buried. I give it 4/5 mainly because I love Chartreuse to death.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   4 years 3 months ago

For our use: Maker's Mark bourbon, Carpano Antica sweet vermouth. Served on the rocks.

• Reply to: Ginger Apple Wassail   by   4 years 3 months ago

Curated slightly - changed ground cinnamon to cinnamon, with ground in the notes.

• Reply to: Maduro   by   4 years 3 months ago

This sounds interesting - rum-lime-Fernet makes me think of the rum-lime-Chartreuse combination that I love so much. I'm trying to think about the Luxardo in there - how does it work other than the sweetness?