• Reply to: Beta Cocktails by Maks Pazuniak and Kirk Estopinal   by   4 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: Aperol '86   by   4 years 5 months ago

1.5 ounces strawberry juce, 1/2oz Cinzano Bianco, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/2oz lime juice, 1/2oz Cointreau. Still foul. In a girly vacation sort of way. Needs an umbrella, a whiff of Coppertone and a topless beach.

• Reply to: The Missus   by   4 years 5 months ago

I really like this drink- the cynar/sherry combination is one of my favorites. I subbed a bit with what I had on hand; Lustau East India Sherry, Clement Rhum Agricole, and Adam Elmegirab's Spanish bitters. I'll make this again, thank you!

• Reply to: Ramos Gin Fizz   by   4 years 5 months ago

Zach, I thank you. I can't wait to make this "lazy man's" Ramos Gin Fizz in an ISI. Right now, I'm thinking Saturday morning at 10 a.m. might be optimal!

• Reply to: Ramos Gin Fizz   by   4 years 5 months ago

So per Rob Marais' request, I did something neat last night with the Ramos -- ran it through an ISI whipper. Here's how I did it. First, batch everything except the egg white, bitters and the soda (we're not using it) and put it in the refrigerator to get as cold as you can get it. When it's cold, in your shaker, add 2 teaspoons additional lemon juice, 1/4 oz water, the egg white, and the spring off a Hawthorne strainer and dry shake the egg white until it's foamy. The water aids in foaming, the acid stabilizes foam, and the spring acts like a whisk. Remove the spring, and add all the pre-batched stuff and another 1/2 oz water, fill the shaker with ice, and shake like hell for 30 seconds. Remember, you're adding all this extra water to make up for lack of melt and cooling! Strain this into an ISI whipper, charge with 1 charge of nitrous, and shake for 30 seconds. Dispense the foamed Ramos into a 10 oz. Collins glass (you should have some left over), and garnish with bitters. You're going to need a straw for this one -- as the liquid phase separates from the bubbles, it can be drunk off the bottom, but trying to drink this without a straw is asking for trouble, and a foam moustache.

• Reply to: Crazed Fruit   by   4 years 5 months ago

Hmm, that might be on the sweeter side, but I think as a separate drink it could work. Or maybe half bonal/half dry vermouth? Bianco is great for a handful of drinks (especially Eyeore's Requiem) but not as versatile as regular sweet/dry vermouths.

They have JM Blanc at liquor world in Porter. It's the best white rhum agricole for cocktails, I think, as it's assertive but not INSANE like some of the others I've had, like the Duquesne bottle I have that is awesome but completely overpowers any other ingredients.

• Reply to: Crazed Fruit   by   4 years 5 months ago

Dan,

Bonal isn't substitutable for any vermouth - it's more like Cocchi Americano + Oloroso sherry.

Zach

• Reply to: Crazed Fruit   by   4 years 5 months ago

Wow, that sounds like a nice cocktail. I finally finished my bottle of Bianco. I wonder if Bonal Gentiane-Quina could be substituted? I love JM Blanc. I need to find another bottle.

• Reply to: No Groaning   by   4 years 5 months ago

This is delicious, and also works well with rum. Thank you!

• Reply to: Teenage Riot   by   4 years 5 months ago

Delicious. The Amontillado I used was not particularly dry, and even then it wasn't too sweet. I used Regans' orange bitters since I think their function is to add depth and complexity, rather than just adding bright citrus notes. The bitters come through nicely on the nose. I used Wild Turkey 101 rye. A higher proof rye keeps counteract the other low-alcohol components. Thanks for pointing this one out.

• Reply to: Santucci   by   4 years 5 months ago

This drink is genius. I used Punt-e-Mes as the vermouth, Espolon as the reposado and Sombra as the Mezcal. DO NOT hesitate to try this. Also the cucumber slice is pretty important, don't know what it'd be like without it.

• Reply to: Rojo Bianco   by   4 years 5 months ago

A beatiful drink.
    I subbed Aperol for Camapri and reduced the maraschino to a dash.
    Tastes like spring

• Reply to: Variation on a Theme   by   4 years 5 months ago

Nice. I like that you can taste each component, although perhaps this makes for the slight disharmony I'm experiencing. 4.27.

• Reply to: Santucci   by   4 years 5 months ago

Thanks! gonna try it right away.

• Reply to: Apparent Sour   by   4 years 5 months ago

I made these last night using blood orange juice instead of lime juice. More intense color, different perfume. Altogether very interesting.

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 5 months ago

I'm looking forward to trying this one. I'd also love some more good recipes that include Maurin Quina, if anyone would like to share.

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 5 months ago

Dan,

I'm glad y'all liked it - I have a feeling this could be a long drink as well - strain into an ice-filled Collins and top with 3-4 oz of sparkling water.

Zachary

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 5 months ago

This was excellent. My wife took the glass from me and kept it. I suspect it would work well with white grapefruit juice, too -- maybe even better, depending upon the sweetness of the fruits. I was surprised at how floral it is. The combination really brings out the floral nature of Gran Classico, which Campari lacks. It is also useful as a low-alcohol cocktail. Between the alcohol and the bitterness, it is pleasantly slow-sipping -- perfect for a relaxing afternoon where you might have more than one drink. Yet it drinks like a cocktail, rather than a super-light aperitif.

• Reply to: Keyser Soze   by   4 years 5 months ago

How exactly do you make ghost pepper syrup. Done incorrectly this could be a dangerous concoction...

• Reply to: Kon-tini   by   4 years 5 months ago

I used Cruzan single barrel and Lemonhart 80 proof. This came out syrupy sweet, so I'd suggest starting with with half the falernum and ginger liqueur quantities and adjusting from there.

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 5 months ago

Thanks. I love Fino sherries - I mean, how can you not love a wine that grows in soil like this?

Zachary

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 5 months ago

Wow, "saline" is a good call, I believe.