• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   3 years 5 months ago

The cocktail "Reckless Abandom" was merged into "The Art of Choke." While they were created by entirely different people, they have nearly the same ingredients and have the same overall idea.

Reckless Abandon was created by Justin James Noel, Empire Rooftop Lounge & Contemporary Cocktails Inc., NYC and was posted by user endless_optimism. Reference: http://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2010/08/cynar-cocktail-cont....

It contained
    1oz Rhum Agricole (Clement Premier Canne)
    1oz Cynar
    1/4 oz Lime juice
    1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup
    1/4oz Green Chartreuse
    1spg mint as garnish

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   3 years 5 months ago

My to-try list keeps growing :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have always skipped over recipes that list pineapple juice, figuring they would be too sweet, but I sure did like the muddled pineapple, so I will keep an open mind.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   3 years 5 months ago

I think it would make sense to merge them with the quantity differences given as options, and a couple rum suggestions with notes on the different flavors they would contribute. In any case, that would help a rum newbie like myself. I need to check out this Rhum JM I keep seeing noted around here...

• Reply to: Liberation   by   3 years 5 months ago

I like it with about .1oz creme de violette and a touch more lemon.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   3 years 5 months ago

This cocktail is so similar to the Art of Choke that I wonder if we need both. I tried it with Clement VSOP and like it, but found it too sweet as written. I have not tried Clement Premier Canne, but I wonder if an agricole with more hogo, like Rhum JM might give it added character.

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   3 years 5 months ago

Christina, Glad you like it - gin, Campari and pineapple seem to be perfect matches for each other (in the way that dark rum, Cynar and lime are), but I struggle with both of those combinations - see The Riviera. It's also a great example of detailed commentary being useful.

Since you like this, you might also try the Broken Shoe Shiner, from Beta Cocktails.

Zachary

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   3 years 5 months ago

This drink has such a unique flavor, and is 5 stars for me. The fruit and floral notes are nicely balanced by the Campari and lemon; each delicious ingredient contributes to an even greater final product. The end result is nuanced, layered, and harmonious. I used Voyager gin.

• Reply to: Colchique   by   3 years 5 months ago

This sounded so good, but just tasted flat. Maybe eliminating the orange juice would help.

• Reply to: Verde Temprano   by   3 years 5 months ago

Kiwi shrub, like any culinary shrub, is really easy to make when the fruit is in season. I encourage you to try it!

• Reply to: Verde Temprano   by   3 years 5 months ago

I almost passed this one by as I didn't have kiwi shrub, then I noticed that no one does except the drink's creator!

• Reply to: Rubicon   by   3 years 5 months ago

Updated to authentic recipe: removed Angostura Orange bitters and added instructions to ignite Green Chartreuse.

• Reply to: Dernier Mot   by   3 years 5 months ago

This rummy variation is so good. I used the Clement VSOP ( I am no rum expert, but really love this stuff) . Seems the chartreuse/maraschino/citrus combo is good to a variety of spirits.

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   3 years 5 months ago

I made this without the Champagne, don't like bubbles. It was a little sweet, so subbed half Campari the next time and it was great. (As an aside, I made the Bitter Elder and it was a bit too bitter, so I subbed half Aperol...). For me, this is really perfect when adjusted as described.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   3 years 5 months ago

I like this. I made it side by side with the Art of Choke since they look pretty similar and I wanted to compare. I prefer this rum choice ( I did sub Clement VSOP since I don't have- and have not tried- the Canne), and the slightly larger quantity of lime and syrup balances the bitterness of the Cynar more to my taste.

• Reply to: Harlan County   by   3 years 5 months ago

No, I believe that I imported this from another user's database. I cannot find a good on-line reference for the quantities, although the ingredients seem correct. I don't find the syrup mentioned. I updated the attribution. If anyone can confirm the ingredients and quantities, I'd love to update the recipe and mark it as authentic.

• Reply to: Pisco Flower   by   3 years 5 months ago

Thank you, that is great.

• Reply to: Harlan County   by   3 years 5 months ago

Is this your own creation Dan?

• Reply to: Pisco Flower   by   3 years 5 months ago

Your answer for spirit recommendations is at your fingertips, RESOURCES > RECOMMENDED BRANDS.
    www.kindredcocktails.com/info/recommended-brands

There was also a thread about Pisco on Chowhound in the Spirits board. Alas, I did not recognize many of the recommended brands from my visits to the local liquor store in Boston.

• Reply to: Metamorphosis   by   3 years 5 months ago

Yes, it's good stuff. I sometimes use it as a sub for Cinnamon Syrup in recipes, perhaps adjusting the acid a bit. Becherovka is also a nice surprising ingredient -- fun to spring on guests.

• Reply to: Sloppy Possum   by   3 years 5 months ago

Yes. Lord Hobo came up with a great intro to Fernet. It's fabulous (if you like Fernet, which I do).

• Reply to: Celery Sour   by   3 years 5 months ago

Christina,

Nah, it's great. Herbsaint is one of those things that will last forever, but is indispensable to a small handful of cocktails, the best well known of which, of course, is the Sazerac. I like the Original (100 proof, orange label) version of the stuff, if you can find it.

Zachary

• Reply to: Pisco Flower   by   3 years 5 months ago

If you try the Tempus Fugit instead of the Rothman & Winter, I think that will eliminate the desire to use less of the Violette. In fact, I doubled it, and it was still pretty gentle on the floral notes.

I don't know much about Pisco, other than to look for a Peruvian brand. I have Guacamayo, and I haven't been crazy about any of the Pisco drinks I have tried. Would anyone recommend another brand, or am I just not a Pisco girl? (I did like it in Peru a few years ago, but sometimes context is everything).

• Reply to: Celery Sour   by   3 years 5 months ago

Thanks Zachary,

I added the Herbsaint and the Angostura orange bitters to my (ever-growing) list. I am glad you guys didn't feel spammed with my cocktail additions to your database:) I was really happy to find a place to 1) consolidate my bookmarks, and 2) share with the hope that I could make a like-minded soul happy. I'll report back after trying this again with the specified ingredients.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   3 years 5 months ago

I will try that and post back. I do like my Campari, but in small doses, so this may work nicely.

• Reply to: Yellow Parrot   by   3 years 5 months ago

I used Obsello Absinthe Verte. All I taste in this cocktail is anise, and I am not sure if this is due to the brand I have (I haven't tried others to compare) or if I just prefer smaller quantities of this ingredient (I use it in corpse reviver #2 and love it there).