• Reply to: Negroni   by   3 years 9 months ago

I would say it's an impressive achievement to like a Negroni in any form if you don't like Campari and Sweet Vermouth! If it's the sweetness that you don't like, you can try a Perfect Negroni, splitting the vermouth 50:50 between sweet and dry.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   3 years 9 months ago

If you would say you normally don't like campari and/or sweet vermouth (like me) then double the gin quantity. Makes it stronger too! Just don't change the proportion of vermouth to campari.

• Reply to: Fire Cherry Cocktail   by   3 years 9 months ago

Sounds interesting. It's a bit of a big drink by current standards. It could be easily scaled back with 2oz : 2 tsp : 1 tsp : 1 tsp, for the so inclined.

• Reply to: The Fleet Street   by   3 years 9 months ago

Thanks for the tips, Dan.

• Reply to: Cooper Brothers Cocktail   by   3 years 9 months ago

Curated to correct Canton quantity, update attribution, and write concise instructions.

• Reply to: The Fleet Street   by   3 years 9 months ago

Thanks for posting. Curated to conform to our style guidelines -- mostly putting the right info into the right place, making instructions concise, adding garnish to ingredients, etc. The long description had to be removed for copyright reasons. If you make the drink and would like the describe it, I suggest you put your feedback in Notes (where tasting notes belong).

• Reply to: Cooper Brothers Cocktail   by   3 years 9 months ago

The recipe in the link calls for 1/4 oz Canton, not 1/2 oz- typo I suspect. Eric Felten's cocktail.

• Reply to: The Bonal Cabal   by   3 years 9 months ago

I have not had Hum, but from what I can find on the web, it is not bitter. If that is indeed the case, then I wouldn't call it an amaro, but rather a regular liqueur. It's odd that they call it both a spirit (in the name) and a liqueur (on the label).

• Reply to: Cul de Sac   by   3 years 9 months ago

Curated to add Chase as a preferred brand. It does not appear to be imported into the US.

• Reply to: MoJo Hannah   by   3 years 9 months ago

Curated to tweak ingredient list to correspond to instructions and notes.

• Reply to: Running Up That Hill   by   3 years 9 months ago

Ephemere is a white ale brewed with apples and spices, so I'd imagine it's important to the ultimate flavor profile of the drink. Substitutes might be really good apple cider (from Normandy, if possible).

• Reply to: Running Up That Hill   by   3 years 9 months ago

This is a really delicious fall drink, with sweet, bitter, spice, and tart flavors all mingling happily. My bartender made this for me, and he used either a red or rose Pineau des Charentes, though I'd think white would work as well. I'll clarify next time I go in. I'm not a beer drinker, so I'm not sure how essential the Ephemere is, but the apple flavors do complement the brandy nicely.

• Reply to: The French Connection   by   3 years 9 months ago

Just as fair warning -- tobacco is incredibly dangerous to use in an alcohol extraction, especially without being able to tell how much nicotine you're extracting, and the LD 50 for nicotine is very low. Giving tobacco infused alcohol to non-smokers can cause all sorts of problems, as people unaccustomed to nicotine can react very badly to the stuff.

• Reply to: Venetian   by   3 years 9 months ago

enjoyed, and as a Campari fan, i found this to be well balanced...

• Reply to: Hot Buttered Rum   by   3 years 9 months ago

Curated to make attribution more specific, elaborate on instructions, and add some spice options.

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

That's interesting about the Campari. I have the Bitter Truth Sloe Gin (I brought back a bottle from New York) and I find it to be less punchy than the Plymouth, both in sweetness and tartness - it's more floral and complex, but mild. This makes it great in drinks that have an ounce or two of sloe gin, but modern drinks where the sloe gin is used as an accent (like the Transatlantic Giant from Beta) tend to see the other ingredients overpower the sloe, since these drinks are almost always formulated with Plymouth.

It's kind of like the Cocchi/Lillet conundrum: the former is the better product and works great in vintage recipes, but almost everyone uses the latter in modern drinks, so the balance is frequently off when you use Cocchi.

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

I have not had The Bitter Truth Sloe Gin, but I've read that it is more bitter than Plymouth. There is a recipe which calls for adding a touch of Campari to Plymouth to simulate The Bitter Truth.

Maybe tequila will be my next try unless a better idea is suggested.

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

I gried eGullet's Dan Perrigan's New Red House (1:1:1:1/2 rye, Campari, CioCiaro, Lemon). Nice, but I prefer the tartness of the original 1:1:1:1 formula. I can see that those who like a touch of sweetness would like this. My recollection is that when I did this with Gran Classico for the Campari, it was magical. Alas, my bottle is gone so I'll have to try it again when I restock.

I then tried 1:1:1:1 rye, sloe gin, Ramazzotti, lemon. Meh. Ok, but not as good as the same drink with Campari instead of sloe gin.

Then I couldn't resist going back to the Last Word: 1:1:1:1 Tanqueray, sloe gin, Campari, lemon. (Ok, in truth some lime since I ran out of lemons). Enjoyable, but not as good as either the Last Word or the Paper Airplane.

Right now, my go-to drink of this sort is still the 1:1:1:1 rye, Campari, Ramazzotti, and lemon. I prefer it to both the Paper Plane (Nonino/Aperol) and Paper Airplane (Nonino/Campari). I think it is some sort of magical, synergistic combination. I also love it with Gran Classico and CioCiaro.

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

This looks delicious- can't resist playing along, so humor my novice musings please :)

I made a variation using Don Julio anejo and the orange peel instead of the Angostura bitters. It was quite good, maybe a tad bit astringent (and I do like tart flavors). I was intrigued by the CioCiaro suggestion as well, so I tried using rye, subbing half the Campari for CioCiaro. That didn't work as well- the CioCiaro dominated, delicious as it is. I could see going back to tequila and adding just a touch of CioCiaro.

My Sloe gin is from the Bitter Truth; I'm not sure how it differs from Plymouth.

I think this a great concept for a cocktail. And the missteps still taste pretty good. I wonder if Cachaca would work here?

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 9 months ago

I think Toby's probably right. He made me the drink before Sammy did, which I think muddied the causality waters in my mind. I somehow managed to internalize Sammy making it differently than Toby had as 'Toby must have tweaked Sammy's recipe' rather than thinking that Sammy would have evolved his own.

What I know from personally being served the drink by both men is that Toby's at The Violet Hour in the summer of '08 was called a Paper Airplane and included Buffalo Trace and Campari, and that when I ordered a "Paper Plane" from Sammy at M&H a couple years later, he made it with Elijah Craig and Aperol. We discussed the fact that he'd come up with it for the Violet Hour menu and even the Aperol/Campari variation, but my memory is very hazy of the timeline of the change(s) (if we discussed it at all)...based on the half-remembered conversation and Toby's claim, I'd be pretty confident saying the Campari version/Paper Airplane was Sammy's original recipe, but then he adjusted it to Aperol and changed the name slightly to reflect that. The switch in bourbons, and whether they're considered integral to one incarnation of the drink or the other, isn't something I feel I can comment on with any authority, beyond my personal experience above and stating that I prefer the drink with Elijah Craig.

• Reply to: Aperol '86   by   3 years 9 months ago

Touché!

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

I'm using Plymouth Sloe Gin. OK, someone try Tequila next. A blanco with peppery backbone, or something that's seen wood?

• Reply to: Aperol '86   by   3 years 9 months ago

I made this last night, but subbed out the aperol, cointreau, and dry vermouth for about 2oz of Willett Rye, and instead of a strawberry garnish, I used nothing.

It was awesome.

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

Hmm.... fun indeed. If you're aiming to keep the Campari-Sloe Gin accord, change out the Rye for Anejo Tequila. I think you want more woody, less spicy to help separate the two. And the question is whose Sloe Gin are you using here?

Thanks, Zach

• Reply to: Drink Lab 9 - Join the fun   by   3 years 9 months ago

First try. I think the drink is nice, but a little one-note. I think fresh expressed orange peel would be better than Ango Orange. The Campari and Sloe Gin go together nicely, but merge a bit more than I would like. I wonder if Amaro CioCiaro / Amer Picon / Amer Boudreau might have a role?