• Reply to: Vesper   by   3 years 4 months ago

I like to use a 1:1:1 ratio

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   3 years 4 months ago

perfectly balanced- love the allspice dram and chartreuse combo. I used the low end maple syrup measure and it was plenty.

• Reply to: In a Pickle   by   3 years 4 months ago

Delicious, thanks. I love the st germain/falernum combo in the ninth ward, so this was a must try. I used Hendrick's and velvet falernum. 5/5

• Reply to: Water Lily   by   3 years 4 months ago

too sweet as written

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   3 years 4 months ago

I like it with half aperol, half campari; with this change it is 5/5 stars for me

• Reply to: Perfect Summit Manhattan   by   3 years 4 months ago

I'm wondering which Chambers Muscat this cocktail calls for - the Rutherglen would be the most likely choice, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

• Reply to: Gunshop Fizz   by   3 years 5 months ago

I've made this drink both ways, and it's actually a pretty different drink with the sanbitter, which has less bitterness up front and more of a kind of weird bubblegum taste.

However, I agree with your basic assessment - this is a must try drink, but once you've had it I don't know how many times you'll go back to it. There are probably 10-15 drinks in Rogue and/or Beta that I would pick over this one for my go to drink.

Also, while I generally love drinks with a ton of bitters, I'm a bit wary of drinking 2 whole ounces of peychaud's at once, as it kind of seems like the most processed (i.e. least potable) of the major bitters.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   3 years 5 months ago

This is a fabulous drink, and a great introduction to Fernet. I removed club soda, which is not in the authentic recipe. If one desires club soda, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• Reply to: Trilby Cocktail #2   by   3 years 5 months ago

Dan,

Thanks for the edit on the absinthe ;) I'm not sure which brand of Parfait Amour they used at Teardrop, but there can't be that many available in the market. This had that weird 40's era balance (remember the Bengal?), but was complex and interesting.

• Reply to: Trilby Cocktail #2   by   3 years 5 months ago

What Parfait Amour do you use? I've found that whenever I try to use my Marie Brizzard, it simply ruins everything it touches. Should I solder bravely on and try this? I haven't tried Creme de Yvette, but maybe that would work?

I also moderated the 3 oz of absinthe to the intended 3 dashes. 3 oz would be quite a drink ;)

• Reply to: Alto Cucina   by   3 years 5 months ago

Made it with Deanston unfiltered 92 proof, beautifully balanced cocktail, this one goes into the rotation...

• Reply to: Wibble   by   3 years 5 months ago

Scott and Beth like, nice summer pre evening cocktail!

• Reply to: Gin Basil Smash   by   3 years 5 months ago

Moderated to provide method and reflect gin quantity from oh gosh video.

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   3 years 5 months ago

I updated the history, clarified the name and changed the ratio to 3:1. This is specified in metric: 6cl:2cl. Kindred Cocktails rounds the 2/3oz that is 2cl to 5/8oz, a more manageable amount for most bartenders to measure.

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   3 years 5 months ago

-edit- I was wrong :)

• Reply to: Gin Basil Smash   by   3 years 5 months ago

The Gin Basil Smash was created by Jörg Meyer (Le Lion, Hamburg - Germany) in 2008.

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   3 years 5 months ago

Dan,

The Difford's Guide says equal parts "Scotch" and St. Germain. The Ogho.sh article says use 3:1 Glenmorangie Signet (a Highland at $200 a bottle!). This is a little more than 2 1/2 :1, and is using Islay... does anyone have the Difford's Guide and can clarify the brand of Scotch?

Can we also move the 2 1/2:1 and 3:1 versions as variations in the notes?

Zach

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   3 years 5 months ago

Moderated to provide instructions and some reference / attribution. Actual creator currently unknown. I'm not sure I understand the odd 5/8 measurement. ohgo.sh used 1-1/2 and 1/2 oz.

• Reply to: Antihero   by   3 years 5 months ago

Delicious. Sub'd Punt e Mes + Martini & Rossi Bianco for Rosata. Might try with lemon next. The lime mates well with the spicy tequila, but the lemon would be nice with the vermouth and Cynar.

• Reply to: Margarita   by   3 years 5 months ago

I like 2 oz Siete Leguas Blanco (or Tequila Ocho), 1 oz lime, 3/4 Cointreau - I tend to be a minimalist... I want to taste the tequila, and it should be tart. I strongly prefer neutral-spirit based orange liqueurs over brandy based ones.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   3 years 6 months ago

Ah, well, it's been a educational experience--to say the least. I did a quick run of the new Trybox Series New Make Rye (from Heaven Hill) and another of Citadelle in separate 1L oak barrels for 1 week. I only did one week because these small barrels oak spirits EXTREMELY quickly.

The New Make is really a delicious spirit (without any help), but given its strength (62%) and earthy rye notes, I think it took to the barrel well, mellowing some of its ferocity with hints of vanilla to make for an interesting and more controllable mixer. I like to mix small amounts (~1/2 oz) to vermouth cocktails to give them an earthy kick.

The Citadelle is a strange beast. I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet because it came out of the barrel tasting unlike anything I'd had before: floral, but woody; and a bit more 'oaked' than 'aged'. All said, I think it tastes a little undefined and lost. Though, I think it worked well in this drink.

I think stickin with a bold, cask strength spirit works a little bit better, as a higher proof spirit pulls different compounds of the barrel (so I've read and so I think I've tasted). But, now I'm debating about throwing the Citadelle back in for a month or so just to see what happens.

My friend (username 'kambel') just put a couple bottles of Wray & Nephew Overproof rum into a 2L; can't wait to see how that turns out.

• Reply to: 1919   by   3 years 6 months ago

Recipes specifically calling for Old Monk are so few and far between, I had to give this one a spin. The full ounce of Punt e Mes beats back most of the rye nuances and even most of the endearing harshness of the Old Monk. Certainly the Bénédictine comes through loud and clear. Successive sips do reveal more of the base spirits' character, but they definitely play a backseat to the Punt e Mes and Bénédictine.

I might need to revisit this one with good old Noily Prat to try to strike a rum/rye/vermouth balance that is more to my liking, but this is one that is worth further reflection and experimentation.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   3 years 6 months ago

Thanks! I love the whole idea about barrel aging spirits and cocktails, but have yet to take the plunge... I'd love to hear about your results!

Zach

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   3 years 6 months ago

Hey Zach,

1) The mellowed in oak refers to my own personal attempts at aging spirits in oak barrels. I placed a bottle of normal Citadelle in a 1 liter new, toasted oak barrel for about a week. The idea was in fact inspired by Citadelle Reserve--which I've yet been able to acquire for comparison. But, I'm hesitant to call it aged as I think these small barrels produce a different product what I'd expect of aging.

2) I'm sure that any brand of pure maple syrup would work just fine. I was only so specific because I've been documenting my personal experiments with kc. I'll make sure to move these unnecessary details to notes or somewhere else.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   3 years 6 months ago

Good morning,

Two quick questions: (1) is the mellowed in oak note meant to reference Citadelle Reserve gin? If so, can you change the ingredient so it'll pop up on my list of articles to write? (2) Does it need to be Kirkland brand maple syrup, or would another brand work as well?

Zach