• Reply to: Root of All Evil   by   4 years 6 months ago

This really is great, but I thought the non-bourbon ingredients were all a bit too much. I prefer 1/2 oz Cointreau, 3/8 oz Fernet, 1/4 oz Maraschino. You still hit all the notes, but it's a little less sweet and the Fernet stays behaved. Also prefer a higher proof bourbon here, such as Knob, but in truth that's almost always what I prefer in Manhattan variants like this.

• Reply to: Pimm's Italiano   by   4 years 6 months ago

Instead of ginger ale, I tried this with 0.5oz canton and a small splash of soda. That is my favorite version so far, and about the only compelling Pimm's cocktail I've tried, but I'd like more ginger flavor. Might try muddling a little fresh ginger with the lemon and mint next time.

• Reply to: La Paloma (Mezcal)   by   4 years 6 months ago

I changed the name to match the attribution and the variation, added attribution, soda water, and instructions.

• Reply to: Expatriate   by   4 years 6 months ago

This looks really good. The sherry should be Lustau Amontillado per the link.

• Reply to: The Riviera   by   4 years 6 months ago

I started my gin, without the Campari and Maraschino. I'm trying a batch of pineapple-infused white rum as well. The swapped Campari and Maraschino ratio sounds much more appealing, so I'll definitely start there, thanks.

• Reply to: The Riviera   by   4 years 6 months ago

My guess is that pineapple-infused gin would work. I have made it with pineapple juice (fresh), but it wasn't the same -- still good, though. I do recommend swapping the ratios of the Campari and Maraschino, at least if you like Campari (which I think you do). I also don't bother with the egg white. It could be that with an egg white, you might need the simple syrup. I've found the egg white + acid = puckery astringent alum-like flavor, which sugar cures.

• Reply to: The Riviera   by   4 years 6 months ago

For anyone who has tried this- is there really a benefit to adding the campari and maraschino to the gin when you start the pineapple infusion? I'd like to try this, but my concern is that if the spirit balance doesn't end up where I'd want it, it will be hard to adjust. I'm leaning towards just doing a pineapple-infused gin (or white rum) and adding the campari and maraschino to individual cocktails, unless the 4 ingredients infusing together really makes a difference. I'm thinking 4:2:1 gin:campari:maraschino if I do them all together, but I'm worried that still might be too much maraschino.

• Reply to: Peg Leg Punch   by   4 years 6 months ago

While not seeking to create clear punch, I also strain the juice as well to remove big pulp chunks and seeds - personally I don't like the hard bits of almond (or anything that feels that gritty and looks like sand / dirt) in my cocktails - I actually prefer the strongly flavored almond extract-based syrup (but find Fee's too much in this direction) to the subtle, slightly more than simple syrup flavor of the Reynolds for this recipe where the citrus is so forward / bitter. If you don't like that almond extract flavoring, the Reynold is probably a better choice, but a different profile altogether from my perspective.

• Reply to: Peg Leg Punch   by   4 years 6 months ago

Why do you feel the need to filter BG Reynolds? Is the punch that clear with the grapefruit and all? I have not sample Monin, but I understand it to have a strong almond extract flavor, as opposed to the BG Reynolds true almond meat flavor.

• Reply to: Bumblebee   by   4 years 6 months ago

Thanks. Fixed oz -> tsp.

• Reply to: Bumblebee   by   4 years 6 months ago

The linked recipe calls for 1.5 t honey, not 1.5 oz.

• Reply to: Dark and Orangey   by   4 years 6 months ago

Significantly revised to be less orange, more ginger-forward, spicier, and less sweet.

• Reply to: Peg Leg Punch   by   4 years 6 months ago

I cleaned this up a bit - changed Almond syrup, Monin orgeat to Orgeat, Monin. Removed references to fresh juices and mint - KC assumes this already.

• Reply to: Lost Cause   by   4 years 6 months ago

This does sound crazy, but plausible. Call Mythbusters.

Re the <a href="http://stvincentsyrups.com/products.php">St. Vincent Syrups Coconut "cream"</a>. From the website, it sounds closer to a syrup, and it does not sound like Coco Lopez would be an adequate substitute. Or maybe Coco Lopez plus some Velvet Falernum?

<cite>This is beautiful collaboration of ginger, clove, and cardamom infused into a mixture of water, coconut cream, and cane sugar. Great for creating lighter style mocktails and cocktails with some strong flavor and a nice creamy texture.</cite>

• Reply to: Lost Cause   by   4 years 6 months ago

This sounds weird as shit but I love the crafty and elusive elk so I'll have to try it. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

• Reply to: Dirt 'n Diesel   by   4 years 6 months ago

I saw a rendition of this at a local favorite bar of mine using Pyrat XO Reserve. As I love that rum I tried my hand at it at home. One of the best rum cocktails I've had in a long time.

• Reply to: Weeski   by   4 years 6 months ago

Adjusted the Cointreau quantity down from 3/4oz to 1tsp after thirtyoneknots noticed that the original used a lot less. This sounds like a much better drink to me

• Reply to: Hastings Sunrise   by   4 years 6 months ago

I think that sugar would reduce proof, tie things together, and help the texture of the drink. Perhaps muddling a sugar cube with the lemon peel, then adding lemon juice and bitters and swirling to dissolve, then the alcohol, ice and shake, strain, up.

Zachary

• Reply to: Hastings Sunrise   by   4 years 6 months ago

I'm still really playing around with this one, but so far, it's been about an inch wide by about 3 long. I'm trying to come up with something that takes the Kirsch for what it is, but lightens its heavy alcohol nose and the burn... Trying to take it and turn it into a nice, cool sipper, I guess. Riffing on this general idea, I found that adding a small dash of Campari went well with it too.

Definitely something still in the works. I will tame this Kirsch. I will do it.

• Reply to: Hastings Sunrise   by   4 years 6 months ago

How much lemon zest in the muddling step?

Zachary

• Reply to: Amaretto Sour (Jeffrey Morgenthaller)   by   4 years 6 months ago

I tried this (although without the simple). I guess the "world's best Amaretto Sour" is like the world's best Appletini. It was enjoyable, and the Booker's definitely helps. I used Luxardo Amaretto, perhaps the best available. I tried it and then doubled the Booker's. I would make this for someone looking for an accessible cocktail. The egg white makes a very nice foam, although without the added simple, it was a bit alum-like.

• Reply to: Mah Nà Mah Nà   by   4 years 6 months ago

My childhood is now ruined ;)

• Reply to: Mah Nà Mah Nà   by   4 years 6 months ago
  • Reply to: Mah Nà Mah Nà   by   4 years 6 months ago

I'll give that a try. The Martinez is one of my favorite drinks, and I've tried making it with a few gins (Genever being my favorite actually)- I never thought to try the Ransom, which is silly since it is an Old Tom Gin and all...

• Reply to: Mah Nà Mah Nà   by   4 years 6 months ago

imho, while it is great in other things, Ransom was made for one drink and one drink alone: the Martinez. Made with Carpano and Boker's, it's one of my all-time favs. I wouldn't put Ransom in many other drinks except those that specifically call for it (similar to Smith and Cross).