• Fumidus   3 years 31 weeks ago

Fascinating cocktail. I was initially skeptical about the Islay Scotch. I often find that Islay-heavy cocktails are good, but not as good as a nice Islay neat. I made it as stated (1:1:0.5:0.5), except with Bowmore Legend.

This drink however brings together the disparate flavors of the bitter, spicy Punt e Mes, the bitter, savory Cynar, and the smoky Scotch. I thought that maybe the Lemon would be the odd man out, and I tasted the drink at room temperature before adding the lemon. It was very good. I usually don't like sweeter drinks, but I found it very appealing without the lemon. The lemon does add both brightness and the actual lemon notes, which complements the Cynar. It reduces the bitterness a bit, but there is sufficient bitterness to retain interest. It also lends a nice transition, with the smoke and acid and lemon flavors giving way to the lingering bitterness. A good sipper.

I had two thoughts for other directions to try. The first would be substituting lemon bitters for the lemon, and garnishing with a huge expressed lemon peel. The second was to try Xocolatl Mole bitters becauese I think the bitter cacao flavor would go well with the peaty scotch and the Punt e Mes spice.

As written this is a very good cocktail, and a surprise as well.

• No Mint Bittered Cynar Julep   3 years 32 weeks ago

It's pleasant. I subbed Clement VSOP for the Matusalem. I think it lacks a bit of oomph in the midpalate, and nothing really stands in the forefront. Perhaps a rinse of Fernet Branca to punch up the bitter?

• Fernet Flip   3 years 32 weeks ago

Improved attribution; added garnish and glassware.

• Red Envelope   3 years 32 weeks ago

If you'd be so kind.... I'm fascinated by cocktail theory. Can you explain some of the thought process behind the drink? I've been struggling with the whole Gin + Amaro accord lately, so this is interesting. Thanks in advance.

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 32 weeks ago

Added garnishes, instructions, and attribution link.

• Volstead (revised)   3 years 32 weeks ago

Minor edit: Herbsaint is a type of Pastis, rather than Anisette. Thanks for the contribution.

• Monaco   3 years 34 weeks ago

Sounds lovely. I'm wondering if something like Clement Creole Shrubb's bitter orange notes would be welcome. (I have not tried Harlequin, however.) Thanks for the contribution.

• Periodista   3 years 34 weeks ago

Recipe revised from 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz each of triple sec and apricot liqueur.

• La Perla   3 years 36 weeks ago

Clarified that the sherry should be very dry, preferable a Manzanilla.

• Suffering Bastard   3 years 36 weeks ago

Someone's copy of The Atlantic Monthly came... ;-) The Hangover Cure, January/February 2011.

The Atlantic Monthly's Derek Brown wrote about this cocktail, and in his recipe allows for ginger beer, which I think would make a very interesting drink.

• Improvements: September 2010   3 years 38 weeks ago

Changing cocktails in bulk has been implemented. See the GOODIES menu, MARK COCKTAILS. Thanks for the idea.

• Colonel Carpano   3 years 38 weeks ago

Ooh, ooh, just got a bottle of Zucca. Good stuff. I've added it as an ingredient in Kindred Cocktails. And, yes, you do want a bottle of Cynar.

• Colonel Carpano   3 years 38 weeks ago

Had the guys at Anvil make this for me, subbing Rittenhouse 100 for Bourbon and Zucca Amaro (rhubarb based) for Cynar... It was all bitter chocolate and wintry spice and enough citrus for balance. Really really good, and makes me want a bottle of Cynar ;)

• Falling Leaves   3 years 38 weeks ago

Clarified that an unsweeted pear brandy (eau-de-vie) is intended, not a liqueur. ("Pear brandy" is often used to mean a sweet liqueur, not an unsweetened brandy.)

• Applecart   3 years 38 weeks ago

Added suggestion for apple brandy / calvados and combined duplicate recipes.

• Lion's Tail   3 years 38 weeks ago

Corrected recipe and added attribution

• Drink Lab #1   3 years 39 weeks ago

I love the idea of a group cocktail-making experience. I don't have the Creme de Cacao and truthfully I don't want to buy a bottle unless it's good enough to use in larger quantities. I read about an unreleased cocoa nip liqueur from Bittercube, but I'm not sure it is available yet. I also read about Mozart dry chocolate spirit. This sounds like a really cool product -- unsweetened, bitter chocolate flavor. It could presumably be used with simple syrup as needed.

I have also substituted Meletti for creme de cacao, as I find it's flavor very reminiscent of chocolate. Maybe I could experiment with that.

• Negroni   3 years 39 weeks ago

Glad to hear it! I've been trying to track down Carpano Antica in Wisconsin. Might try a Lillet version in the meantime.

• Negroni   3 years 39 weeks ago

The blogger at cocktailchronicles.com has passed along the idea of making a Negroni Swizzle by adding a pinch of salt and an ounce of club soda. (Original credit goes to Giuseppe Gonzalez at Painkiller in NY.) Can't wait to try it.

• Improvements: December 2010   3 years 39 weeks ago

Great new feature. This way no one has to notice if, for example, I run out of Fernet Branca. God forbid. It's just off the menu until replaced.

Just wanted to let you know it was appreciated.

• Recommended Brands   3 years 39 weeks ago

svedka and pinnacle are both handy budget brands to have on hand. i think tito's is more everyday--you won't be hurting yourself by only adding a squeeze of lime and a splash of tonic. can't say i really go in for the premium vodkas, but grey goose is by far our best seller. hangar one if you want something more unique.

budget single malt can be hard to come by, but glenfarclas if fairly affordable. auchentoshen if you want something just a touch sweeter--their select is $30-$35.

• Recommended Brands   3 years 39 weeks ago

Here is a first-cut at some recommended brands. They may or not be the best, or the most suited to your taste, but they should all be solid choices that are unlikely to disappoint. Feedback welcomed.

• Colonel Carpano   3 years 39 weeks ago

I made it with Knob Creek. The Carpano Antica was readily apparent. Not overly sweet. A Manhattan for the adventurous. Beautiful lingering bitter tones in the finish.

• Cuatro Naranjas   3 years 40 weeks ago

Mixology Monday LIII, hosted by Chris Amirault on eGullet, poses a bit of a tough challenge: devise a craft cocktail that would appeal to someone without much exposure to craft cocktails.

I was asked to bring a cocktail to a Mexican-themed dinner party, one where I knew that some of the folks were, uh, not as adventurous as I. While I love a well-made Margarita, I played with the orange flavors to make something both innovative and delicious. The Cuatro Naranjas has strong, complex orange flavors from the Creole Shrubb, Aperol, and Angostura Orange bitters. The Campari deepens the flavors, adds a touch of bitterness, and when combined with Aperol create a grapefruit-like undertone. Looking at the ingredients, you might think that it is hopelessly challenging. No so. The lime balances the bitter.

Even the most "amariphobic" loved it.

• Chartreuse Swizzle   3 years 40 weeks ago

Marco contacted Kindred Cocktails with the history of his creation.