• Reply to: Poire liquide Hélène   by   4 years 5 months ago

Do you prefer aged or unaged Poire Williams in this drink? I wish I could find the Mozart Dry where I am, as this sounds rather interesting. Oh, and the twist in the drink as the garnish, correct?

Zachary

• Reply to: Summer Rye   by   4 years 5 months ago

Corrected to cider, improved attribution, added garnish, streamlined instructions.

• Reply to: Bitter Union   by   4 years 5 months ago

I had an orange to juice after stealing all the peel for garnishes, so I tried this... I really like this drink. It reminds me of a Hemingway Daiquiri, but richer and more interesting yet still light and refreshing Thanks.

• Reply to: Elder Fashion   by   4 years 5 months ago

Corrected recipe to authentic recipe as verified directly from Phil Ward. Changed St Germain from 2 oz to 1/2 and glass from up to OTR. Also, removed preferred brand of Regans' orange bitters because Phil didn't specify a brand.

• Reply to: Hemingway Daiquiri   by   4 years 5 months ago

Really great with a white agricole. You'd think that it would be too tart by looking at the recipe, but it isn't. It's just perfectly tart.

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

I've got to pick up raspberries, but I think I'll try it this weekend. Interestingly enough, I picked up Lactart this week because of your drink - it's interesting stuff.

Zachary

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

its a bit sweet.. also a bit bitter on the finish.... im not in love with peychauds for this but its more pleasing than my other on hand options. i actually literally ordered three more types of bitters yesterday just because of this beverage. but extremely sweet? no

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

red eyen is a synonym for alcohol or cock-tail. id like to hear what you think of it upon tasting. thanks again for the cocktail theory essay. making the lactart "agnostic monk" was a direct result of those readings. cheers

• Reply to: Bernet Frankenstein   by   4 years 5 months ago

Uncompromising, unforgiving, delightfully smooth. This one really speaks to the part of me that's a former cannabis user, which may or may not make you happy. 4.5/5

• Reply to: Oude Veer   by   4 years 5 months ago

Dan,

I have them both now - the Barrel Aged is new to Texas, and comes in a frosted bottle. It's less malty (which I think is the wood influence removing malt flavors like in Scotch), definitely spicy, but with my limited trials of the stuff, I think you need a lot of it to make an impact in a drink.

You could sub the regular Bols genever, but maybe add a barspoon of Bowmore to mimic the wood and spice.

Zachary

• Reply to: Oude Veer   by   4 years 5 months ago

How does the Bols aged genever differ from the regular one in the clear bottle? Would this recipe work with the regular one?

• Reply to: Don's Little Bitter   by   4 years 5 months ago

Finally got around to trying this. Excellent, although I think it can use more rum. I used 2 oz, unless I measured wrong (which is possible).

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

Cleaned up the syrup - I'm assuming you meant equal parts sugar, water and fruit. Moved instructions for the syrup to Notes. Oh, and should this be "Red Eye" instead of "Red Eyen"?

Zachary

• Reply to: Harlem Renaissance   by   4 years 5 months ago

Now <strong>that</strong> is a cocktail photo! Sounds good, although I'd be tempted to use dry vermouth or a mix.

• Reply to: Red Eyen   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated slightly to clean up the capitalization. I don't know what <1:1:1> means for the syrup. Do you mean 1:1:1 water, sugar, and fruit?

Also, this drink sounds extremely sweet, even for a dessert drink. Aperol by itself is quite sweet, and 1:1 with the rye, adding 1/3 oz of syrup seems like a lot, no?

• Reply to: Amer Picon "Pouffle" Fizz   by   4 years 5 months ago

Quite interesting because of its large amount of bitters. This is another of a small number of drinks from this era using it in more-than-a-dash quantities.

• Reply to: Antrim Cocktail   by   4 years 5 months ago

I wonder what sort of port was intended. I can't imagine the motivation for adding sugar to a drink that is already half port.

• Reply to: Athol Brose No. 1   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated slightly by changing to the Highland scotch ingredient. I removed (good) from the comments because all our ingredient are assumed to be good. I also changes parts to oz to size the drink reasonably.

That said, I question whether this would be drinkable with a 33% honey unless used to suppress a cough, which perhaps I feel coming on. ;)

• Reply to: Aunt Emily   by   4 years 5 months ago

Curated slightly. I removed dry from gin because gin is assumed to be dry (contrast to Genever or Old Tom Gin). I also removed dry from Apricot Liqueur" and replaced it with Dry Apricot Brandy. I think this is the ingredient that you mean -- aged distilled fermented apricot juice -- rather than a neutral spirit of some sort, flavored with apricot (apricot liqueur). I'm I'm in error, feel free to change it back.

• Reply to: Vanishing Act   by   4 years 5 months ago

Just made one up, delicious. A nice Aviation variation. I am a big fan of egg white and honey syrup, just provides nice body and natural sweetness to cocktails. 4 Stars.

• Reply to: Broken English   by   4 years 5 months ago

Love this!

• Reply to: Applecart   by   4 years 5 months ago

Yum! I agree with the previous comment... this is a smooth, delicious drink that doesn't not seem "strong" in its flavor despite the amount of high-proof alcohol included. I made a double in a Collins glass and while it was a little short for the glass, it saved me the inevitable task of making another!

• Reply to: Mexican Firing Squad   by   4 years 5 months ago

Which of course, I don't have yet ;) Is the cocktail correct as written here? Can you give the Baker recipe, and I'll change this to reflect the authoritative source.

Zachary

• Reply to: Daiquiri   by   4 years 5 months ago

According to The Gentleman's Companion vol. 2 by Charles H. Baker Jr. (1939)
    "Doctors still thought that a lot of yellow jacket malaria cases came from drinking water and swamp mists. The couldn't turn off the swamp water mists but they knew that diluted alcohol was a disinfectant agent against germs. So they put a little rum in their boiled drinking water. This tasted pretty bad so some bright citizen squeezed a lime into the thing, and added a little sugar to modify the acid. Ice made from distilled water took the topical heat off the thing. The 2 originators were my friends Harry E. Stout, now domiciled in Englewood, NJ and a mining engineer associate Mr. Jennings Cox. Time: Summer of 1898. Place: Daiquiri, a village near Santiago and the Bacardi plant, Cuba. Hence the name "Daiquiri."

• Reply to: Between the Sheets   by   4 years 5 months ago

Yes, I have got a copy of the Charles Baker book: Gentleman's Companion. BTW just a fascinating read.