• Reply to: Midnight Ruby   by   4 years 4 months ago

Had this again tonight. It's really a great cocktail. The Black Balsams adds quite a bit of complexity and depth and the grapefruit juice keeps it fresh and vibrant. Simply great. I can easily get Black Balsams in Boston. It's worth seeking out. My Latvian friend recommends aging it in the bottle for at least a year. Maybe I should put a few away for the future ;)

• Reply to: Celine Fizz   by   4 years 4 months ago

Deleted double post.

• Reply to: Celine Fizz   by   4 years 4 months ago

I made this with fresh egg-white, Tanqueray No. 10, Freshly squeezed Grapefruit juice, St. Germaine, and a couple drops of Angostura bitters, (because I didn't have any orange bitters)

I found it a little too sour, with the lemon a bit too forward. Next time I make it, I'll try it with a bit less lemon, and hopefully I'll get some orange bitters.

• Reply to: Dented Bentley   by   4 years 4 months ago

Thanks for putting me on to this. I made it with Punt e Mes and another 3/4 oz of dry vermouth. Next time, I'll split the vermouth, rather than add more. Very nice drink. I used Nux Alpina, which is pretty strong. 1/4oz was just the right amount. A very nice fall / winter cocktail. Of course it's always raining in Tacoma, so you can enjoy it year round. ;)

• Reply to: Dented Bentley   by   4 years 4 months ago

It was a bit sweet- not overwhelmingly so, but I would have been happy with less. Punt e Mes is probably a better idea, thanks for the suggestion

• Reply to: Dented Bentley   by   4 years 4 months ago

I have to admit that I've never tried this. I have never had Dubonnet. The Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is noticeably sweeter than other vermouths. How was the sweetness? I think I'll give this a try later tonight with Punt e Mes, which sounds pretty darn good.

• Reply to: Dented Bentley   by   4 years 4 months ago

I tried this looking for a good application for my walnut liqueur, and like this more than I thought I would. I used Cocchi vermouth, and the result is nutty, with just enough spice and bitterness. I've never tried Dubonnet Rouge, so I'm not sure how much of a departure my version is.

• Reply to: Sweet Moonlight   by   4 years 4 months ago

Love the idea, but quite imperfect. Too big to fit in a coupe and way too much violette. The drink ended up a murky grey with too much sweet from the cassis yet still tasting mostly like violet.

• Reply to: Dutch Tulip   by   4 years 4 months ago

I made this last night - there's something special about Genever + apricot which is worth exploring. Three suggestions for next time... the Punt e Mes was a bit much - I don't think it needs the extra bitterness, so maybe something like Dolin. It's a bit large at 4 oz (not that it stopped me from drinking it). I'm very interested in seeing how the Bols Barrel Aged Genever works here.

Zachary

• Reply to: Walking Spanish   by   4 years 4 months ago

This is such a nice drink if you like cocktails with sherry, which mixes very nicely with Cardamaro and Genever. I've subbed Farigoule thyme liqueur for the St. Germain, and Dimmi for the St. Germain when I had a sweeter sherry open (Lustau East India Solera). It is flexible and really delicious.

• Reply to: Central Park   by   4 years 4 months ago

1/2 oz. of Massenez Crème de Mûre was far too much fruit liqueur, I'll try 1/4 oz. next time. The Clear Creek is probably more subtle.

• Reply to: Dusty Road Chelada   by   4 years 4 months ago

Updated attribution per the link.

• Reply to: Choke Let Malt   by   4 years 4 months ago

This is fantastic. Simple to make and really wonderful! Thanks.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   4 years 4 months ago

Delicious. Exactly my preferred level of bitterness.

• Reply to: In a Pickle   by   4 years 4 months ago

Posted as a guess at the recipe. I transferred authorship to the creator for him to update with the authentic recipe. Originally posted as 2 oz gin, 1/2 each St Germain and Velvet Falernum, 3/4 lime juice, 3 sli cucumber, 2 spg dill, splash tonic.

• Reply to: El Maestro   by   4 years 4 months ago

Cleaned this up a little - changed gin to Old Tom and Sherry to Oloroso sherry to reflect notes.

• Reply to: Moonlight   by   4 years 4 months ago

I modified this with a 1/2 tsp of rich syrup and it was better, but still not great. 3/5.

• Reply to: Pimm's Plantation   by   4 years 4 months ago

Curated slightly to change grapefruit juice with a note of Izze Grapefruit soda into Grapefruit Soda, Izze, which reflects the cited blog post.

• Reply to: Pimm's Plantation   by   4 years 4 months ago

Final version. This is the one done for MxMo as this month it's Tiki's. Also slightly updated the Castaway for it as well.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   4 years 4 months ago

I was optimistic, but it came out too bitter for me, which is saying a lot, because I like Eeyore's Requiem, among others. So, I added 1/4 oz rich syrup, and then it was sweeter, but still too bitter. I give it 3/5.

• Reply to: Miel Picante Punch   by   4 years 4 months ago

Minor curate: removed fresh from notes - Kindred Cocktails always assumes fresh juices and other ingredients.

• Reply to: Mortal Sunset   by   4 years 4 months ago

Curated slightly - moved instructions from inline with the maple syrup to the Notes section.

• Reply to: Elder Fashion   by   4 years 4 months ago

Curated slightly to make instructions more concise in the Kindred Cocktails style. (We assume expertise on the part of the reader, so basic instructions aren't needed.)

• Reply to: The Half Windsor   by   4 years 4 months ago

Not bad, but I mostly taste grapefruit juice. I think this would be worth trying again with 1/2 oz grapefruit juice and a little club soda.

• Reply to: Nerina   by   4 years 4 months ago

I've tried this and I like it quite a bit, though I suspect you might find it too sweet as written. I'd say the sweetness is bit more than a Negroni made with Gran Classico and Cocchi vermouth di Torino, for example. The Meletti and Punt e Mes are delicious together. I tried this as a Boulevardier variation using Bulleit Rye, and it was good, but I prefer the more prominent amaro flavors in the gin version.