• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 6 months ago

The Paper Airplane uses Amaro Nonino, not Ramazzotti. Toby specifies <a href="http://egullet.org/p1581127">here</a>. The key differences between the Paper Plane and Paper Airplane are a switch from Elijah Craig to Buffalo Trace and Aperol to Campari. The Nonino stays the same. Personally, I prefer Campari and Elijah Craig (which would be a hybrid of the two recipes). Tonight I made a version with George T. Stagg (calling it the Lead Balloon), which is rather nice in its own right.

ETA: Both drinks are also served up.

• Reply to: Margara   by   3 years 6 months ago

Tried this as above and liked it. Creole Shrubb works really well with the tequila and Cynar. But on my second try I made a small modification using Bittermans Xocolatl mole bitters in place of the Angostura orange. For me that made it even better!

• Reply to: Zummy   by   3 years 6 months ago

Was okay. A bit sweeter than expected. Apparently I didn't have lemon bitters at home (dozens at the store though... Ugh) so I subbed some Lemon Verbina bitters that I got from Josh @ Trina's. Not enough bite to offset the Benedictine. Will try again with Berg & Hauck/TBT Lemon Bitters which should round this out nicely.

• Reply to: Something Bitter This Way Comes   by   3 years 6 months ago

I had my bartender make this for me tonight since I don't have the vermouth (but will soon, since it is absolutely delicious!)- I enjoyed this quite a bit and will make it again. I think it might also be good with a bit less CioCiaro so that the vermouth has more of a presence.

• Reply to: Something Bitter This Way Comes   by   3 years 7 months ago

A bit sweeter than I prefer. I added 1/2 oz dry vermouth (and I used Punt e Mes). I think I'd try it with just the dry vermouth next time, or scale back the sweet quantities.

• Reply to: Choke Artist   by   3 years 7 months ago

tried this with Australian amontillado sherry (no orange peel). found I needed a touch more tequila and it was helped by a few drops of lemon juice. I'm thinking I'll try a hair less Cynar. Nice.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   3 years 7 months ago

So, this may be my favorite, most frequently made cocktail (at least in the top few). I think the best version increases the orgeat (homemade) to 1.5 oz and decreases the orange bitters to a few dashes.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   3 years 7 months ago

This drink grew on me. I did need more Carpano Antica- I ended up closer to 1:1:1. I used Black Maple Hill Bourbon.

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 7 months ago

Rob,

Either my house, or make Amer Boudreau or wait for the Bittermens version of Amer Picon, which ought to be close.

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 7 months ago

This sure looks good, even if it wasn't named after me =) But where does one find Amer Picon?

• Reply to: Work In Progress   by   3 years 7 months ago

This drink is good- St. Germain and Fernet Branca work well together (the Celery Sour is another great example). I like this better with a little citrus though; .5 oz grapefruit juice is a good addition.

• Reply to: 1794   by   3 years 7 months ago

Absolutely great. Really shows of the Mole bitters (be careful to go easy as they are very strong). I still don't see the point of flaming orange peels, though, besides looking cool.

• Reply to: Cocktail à la Louisiane   by   3 years 7 months ago

Improved attribution.

• Reply to: Arrack Sour   by   3 years 7 months ago

Funky, tart, tasty.

• Reply to: Rumbustion Flip   by   3 years 7 months ago

Delicious and attractive.

I used Young's Double Chocolate Stout and it came out great.

• Reply to: Solera   by   3 years 7 months ago

Improved attribution, provided instructions, added detail to recipe.

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 7 months ago

I agree that this is excellent- my favorite variation by far, thank you for this!

• Reply to: Wibble   by   3 years 7 months ago

I tried this with Bitter Truth Sloe gin, subbed Creme Yvette for the Blackberry liqueur, omitted the simple syrup, and added the Peychaud's and Lemon bitters. It is a nice drink, though I would try less grapefruit juice next time.

• Reply to: Réveillon Cocktail   by   3 years 7 months ago

I made this as written, using Clear Creek Pear Brandy and Carpano Antica. I would cut the Allspice Dram back by at least half next time, as it really takes over, and also increase the vermouth.

• Reply to: Czechers in Paradise   by   3 years 7 months ago

Like this drink a lot, thank you! I used Gosling's Black Seal Rum, and look forward to trying others. Great use for Becherovka.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   3 years 7 months ago

I had almost given up on Manhattans, until an awesome bartender made me one with Black Maple Hill Bourbon and Carpano Antica...

• Reply to: Apparent Sour   by   3 years 7 months ago

The rosemary garnish is delicious, but this drink is really sweet. I added 1.5 oz gin, which helped some. If I were to try again, I would probably just make a Bitter Elder with rosemary added...

• Reply to: The Shift Drink   by   3 years 7 months ago

Hard to go wrong with Fernet Branca and ginger- this drink is delicious.

• Reply to: Steve's Word   by   3 years 7 months ago

Added better attribution, instructions, and clarified brand preference. Seems like a bold and interesting drink. It's on my suggested list now.

• Reply to: Bengali Cider   by   3 years 7 months ago

I can't get over how well Old Monk pairs with apple cider.