• Reply to: Butter, Lemon, Smoke   by   3 years 6 months ago

I get the smoke, obviously, but from whence the Butter and Lemon? Sounds interesting. Also sounds like the sort of thing I might prefer neat. If you like this, you might try the Bernet Frankenstein, a mixture of Islay Scotch, Punt e Mes, and Fernet Branca, served neat.

One question: is the garnish a lemon wedge, slice, or what. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture. It also looks like the coupe is rimmed with something, but it might just be the light hitting it oddly.

• Reply to: Eva Peron   by   3 years 6 months ago

I would say the ginger beer float is optional; I made this without and the drink was delicious.

• Reply to: Boston Cocktail   by   3 years 6 months ago

(Made with pomegranate molasses for grenadine)

hm. I liked what is going on here - I'll probably do some fussing with the proportions.

on second thought: I like it just the way it is. I'll make this again.

• Reply to: Millionaire #4   by   3 years 6 months ago

Made according to specifications (Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot) Lime overpowered the drink. I should have added gradually - 1.25 ounces seemed like a lot.

• Reply to: Jaded Gin Daiquiri   by   3 years 6 months ago

I like the way the Fernet Branca mixes with the grapefruit and Maraschino. I started with half the amount called for, thinking it might take over, but the full quantity makes for a much more interesting drink.

• Reply to: Lazy Bear   by   3 years 6 months ago

This is really good, thanks for posting. I didn't have the bitters- used Peychaud's, and Wild Turkey rye.

• Reply to: Cubed Old Fashioned   by   3 years 6 months ago

Curated to fix typo in cocktail name, clarify the syrup, and format the syrup to fit Kindred Cocktails. Thanks for posting.

• Reply to: Improved Holland Gin Cocktail   by   3 years 6 months ago

Corrected recipe from fancy (orange liqueur) to improved (maraschino and absinthe). Added references, improved details.

• Reply to: Rubicon   by   3 years 6 months ago

This seems to be a nice twist on the Last Word. Made a couple of last night and loved how the Chartreuse lights beautifully. I did feel the second sprig of Rosemary a bit overkill.

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 6 months ago

Sure, makes sense. I was copying it exactly as written...

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 6 months ago

Curated to clarify rum as a light rum. While it is true that Flor de Caña light rum is aged 4 years and clear in color, I don't think most folks would describe it as other than as a light rum, rather than an añejo rum.

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 6 months ago

The float of bitters really makes this drink.

• Reply to: Mezcal Cafe su Da   by   3 years 6 months ago

Curated to add quantity of condensed milk, remove coffee quantity from ingredient name, and add reference. Also removed Borden's since I bet any condensed milk will work fine and I don't really see the need for Kindred Cocktails to have to know about Borden's as a brand.

• Reply to: Post Road Punch   by   3 years 6 months ago

Curated to remove "sour mix" as an ingredient. Added ingredient note about making sour mix as mise en place.

• Reply to: Conference   by   3 years 6 months ago

We really liked this cocktail. We used Rye and Bourbon - Bulleit, Prunier VS Cognac, Clear Creek Pomme, Bitter Truth Mole Bitters for the original and thought it was just damn delightful.
    Looking to do a punch version for possible fall menu consideration. Any thoughts or suggestions? Especially a beautiful garnish...would love to get our pastry chef involved.

• Reply to: Apple of My Rye   by   3 years 6 months ago

Sorry thanks for the correction! Yes this is dashes not ounces.

• Reply to: Easy Out   by   3 years 6 months ago

The whole grapefruit + raspberry accord is like the Blinker, which is also a great drink. I wonder if Grenadine (homemade) + lemon might sub for raspberry syrup?

Zach

• Reply to: Easy Out   by   3 years 6 months ago

I'm thinking that a tsp or so of raspberry jam might work as a sub, although it would lack the vibrancy of fresh berries. You'd want to double-strain to remove the seeds, presumably. I have found that Aperol + Campari gives a grapefruit-like flavor, so the addition of real juice makes perfect sense. The raspberry is unexpected with the grapefruit; it uncharacteristically appeals to me. Thanks, Kyle!

• Reply to: Front Steps   by   3 years 7 months ago

I tried this with Bulleit Rye and Clear Creek Kirschwasser. I agree that it is pretty tart with the amount of lemon specified; I'll try .75 oz next time. I do like the drink overall though- the Kirschwasser and Falernum get along better than I would have guessed.

• Reply to: Easy Out   by   3 years 7 months ago

Thanks for sharing- this is a great drink, very refreshing. I will try the raspberry syrup, but for now I muddled a couple fresh berries in simple syrup which worked well. I think St. Germain might also be good here when fresh berries are harder to come by.

• Reply to: Army & Navy   by   3 years 7 months ago

These proportions make a pretty dry cocktail. I liked it better with 1.25 oz gin (I used Bombay Sapphire), and .5 oz each orgeat and lemon. 3 stars.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   3 years 7 months ago

Awesome Thanks!

• Reply to: Basil Lime Daiquiri   by   3 years 7 months ago

I edited the recipe to correspond to the one in the reference (Food & Wine). The reference's ingredient list neglects the second quantity of lime juice, which the instructions clearly require. I assume the intention is to make a quantity of syrup and store it in the refrigerator, using about 1oz (3 Tbsp) in each cocktail. I also rewrote the instructions to remove any question of copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Frisco Sour   by   3 years 7 months ago

I merged the cocktail "Frisco" into this "Frisco Sour", which I believe to be a better recipe. The Frisco that I posted used 3/4 oz each of Benedictine and lemon juice. I suspect that 1/2 oz gives a more subtle and balanced cocktail. CocktailDB lists a more complicated cocktail with a mix of lemon and lime juice, plus some sugar. See the NY Times reference (which I added).

The original Frisco simply called for whiskey and Bénédictine, without lemon. This seems to be an unpromising classic cocktail -- too sweet for modern taste. The choice of rye seems prudent, although bourbon could certainly be used too.

• Reply to: SunRye   by   3 years 7 months ago

Updated to correct an error in a quantity ("1 1/2", not "1 1/12"), plus improve reference. This is a very delicious drink.