• Lion's Tail   3 years 12 weeks ago

I think Bourbon here is the way to go - you need the sweetness to balance out the allspice and lime. I like something fairly high proof - Booker's, Rowan's Creek, Baker's.

Zachary

• Lion's Tail   3 years 12 weeks ago

Would like to know which bourbons or whiskeys for that matter work best? We were playing around today and found not all bourbons are up to the task. Any favorites?

• Autumn's Dawn   3 years 12 weeks ago

Used Clear Creek "Eau de Vie de Pomme" instead of Lairds. Absolutely amazing.

• Pear Dauphine   3 years 12 weeks ago

St. Germain has a pear-like flavor, so this pairing makes sense; it brightens the pear brandy without overwhelming it.

• Pimm's Italiano   3 years 12 weeks ago

I made this using ginger beer instead of ginger ale; I think this would taste better with more like 1 oz ginger ale (or beer), as it pretty much drowned out the Pimm's and Fernet Branca. But it is refreshing and a good idea otherwise.

• Her Majesty's Pearl   3 years 12 weeks ago

This is good, but I think next time I'll skip the Cognac as I don't think I'll ever acquire a taste for it.

• Second Squadron   3 years 12 weeks ago

I made this as written and it was quite good, very grapefruit-forward. Like a (much) improved Sea Breeze.... I liked it even better adjusting the proportions slightly to .3 oz each of the liqueurs and juices, with .3oz Campari added.

• Widow's Kiss   3 years 12 weeks ago

I wasn't crazy about this as written; adding .75 oz lemon juice made it much better.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 12 weeks ago

I really like the way the Calvados, Chartreuse, and Creme Yvette combine, but I'm not sure that I care for the gin flavor in the mix- I'll try with less next time, as this was a little boozy-tasting. I used Tanqueray which maybe wasn't the best choice...

• Dirt 'n Diesel   3 years 13 weeks ago

I doubled the lime, subbed ginger syrup for the demerera and Pusser's British Navy for the Cruzan Blackstrap (not a fan of the Blackstrap). With these changes I thought this was pretty good.

• Margara   3 years 13 weeks ago

A little bitter, a little spicy. I'll try a bit less orange next time. I used Don Julio Anejo.

• Peralta   3 years 13 weeks ago

herbal, mildly bitter, and bright- like this a lot. Though the I didn't know what a dash of orange and grapefruit meant (bitters?), I assume a typo- so I had to skip that part.

• Joe Riley   3 years 13 weeks ago

I did like this better with more lemon (but that is a common adjustment for me)- I increased it to 1/2 oz.

• Bar Eats You   3 years 13 weeks ago

Is this some kind of Eastern thing?

• The Ninth Ward   3 years 13 weeks ago

The St. Germain and Falernum combo is really delicious (used Velvet Falernum)

• Averna Jimjam   3 years 13 weeks ago

This is a really nice drink, interesting and balanced. The apricot doesn't take over the way it seems to in some other drinks I've tried with it.

• Front Steps   3 years 13 weeks ago

Made two versions of this cocktail, and enjoyed the second one with 1/2 ounce lemon juice, rather than a full ounce.
    I found the lemon overwhelming in the recipe posted. Adjust to your taste.
    Used Michters US-1 Rye, Hiram Walker Kirshwasser, Taylor's Falernum, and Peychaud's.

• Arrack Attack   3 years 13 weeks ago

I increased the lime a bit, but otherwise I like this, though it took me a few minutes to settle into the bitterness...

• Amaro Sour   3 years 13 weeks ago

Very good, light and refreshing but still interesting. I'll try a little less St. Germain next time as this is a bit on the sweet side.

• Bywater   3 years 13 weeks ago

.25 oz lime made this more to my taste. I didn't have the suggested rum, used Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   3 years 13 weeks ago

Chowhound's StriperGuy recommends:

2 oz Mt Gay amber
    1 oz Cruzan blackstrap
    3/4 oz Triple Sec (Bols, or other orange liqueur
    1 oz lime (juice of one lime)
    1/2 oz Luxardo Amaretto
    1/2 oz Orgeat

Matt Robold (Rumdood) surveyed a number of combinations here: http://rumdood.com/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais/

• The Art of Choke   3 years 13 weeks ago

The cocktail "Reckless Abandom" was merged into "The Art of Choke." While they were created by entirely different people, they have nearly the same ingredients and have the same overall idea.

Reckless Abandon was created by Justin James Noel, Empire Rooftop Lounge & Contemporary Cocktails Inc., NYC and was posted by user endless_optimism. Reference: http://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2010/08/cynar-cocktail-cont....

It contained
    1oz Rhum Agricole (Clement Premier Canne)
    1oz Cynar
    1/4 oz Lime juice
    1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup
    1/4oz Green Chartreuse
    1spg mint as garnish

• Rose Window   3 years 13 weeks ago

My to-try list keeps growing :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have always skipped over recipes that list pineapple juice, figuring they would be too sweet, but I sure did like the muddled pineapple, so I will keep an open mind.

• The Art of Choke   3 years 13 weeks ago

I think it would make sense to merge them with the quantity differences given as options, and a couple rum suggestions with notes on the different flavors they would contribute. In any case, that would help a rum newbie like myself. I need to check out this Rhum JM I keep seeing noted around here...

• Liberation   3 years 13 weeks ago

I like it with about .1oz creme de violette and a touch more lemon.