• Bar Eats You   3 years 9 weeks ago

Is this some kind of Eastern thing?

• The Ninth Ward   3 years 9 weeks ago

The St. Germain and Falernum combo is really delicious (used Velvet Falernum)

• Averna Jimjam   3 years 9 weeks ago

This is a really nice drink, interesting and balanced. The apricot doesn't take over the way it seems to in some other drinks I've tried with it.

• Front Steps   3 years 9 weeks ago

Made two versions of this cocktail, and enjoyed the second one with 1/2 ounce lemon juice, rather than a full ounce.
    I found the lemon overwhelming in the recipe posted. Adjust to your taste.
    Used Michters US-1 Rye, Hiram Walker Kirshwasser, Taylor's Falernum, and Peychaud's.

• Arrack Attack   3 years 9 weeks ago

I increased the lime a bit, but otherwise I like this, though it took me a few minutes to settle into the bitterness...

• Amaro Sour   3 years 9 weeks ago

Very good, light and refreshing but still interesting. I'll try a little less St. Germain next time as this is a bit on the sweet side.

• Bywater   3 years 9 weeks ago

.25 oz lime made this more to my taste. I didn't have the suggested rum, used Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   3 years 9 weeks ago

Chowhound's StriperGuy recommends:

2 oz Mt Gay amber
    1 oz Cruzan blackstrap
    3/4 oz Triple Sec (Bols, or other orange liqueur
    1 oz lime (juice of one lime)
    1/2 oz Luxardo Amaretto
    1/2 oz Orgeat

Matt Robold (Rumdood) surveyed a number of combinations here: http://rumdood.com/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais/

• The Art of Choke   3 years 10 weeks ago

The cocktail "Reckless Abandom" was merged into "The Art of Choke." While they were created by entirely different people, they have nearly the same ingredients and have the same overall idea.

Reckless Abandon was created by Justin James Noel, Empire Rooftop Lounge & Contemporary Cocktails Inc., NYC and was posted by user endless_optimism. Reference: http://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2010/08/cynar-cocktail-cont....

It contained
    1oz Rhum Agricole (Clement Premier Canne)
    1oz Cynar
    1/4 oz Lime juice
    1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup
    1/4oz Green Chartreuse
    1spg mint as garnish

• Rose Window   3 years 10 weeks ago

My to-try list keeps growing :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have always skipped over recipes that list pineapple juice, figuring they would be too sweet, but I sure did like the muddled pineapple, so I will keep an open mind.

• The Art of Choke   3 years 10 weeks ago

I think it would make sense to merge them with the quantity differences given as options, and a couple rum suggestions with notes on the different flavors they would contribute. In any case, that would help a rum newbie like myself. I need to check out this Rhum JM I keep seeing noted around here...

• Liberation   3 years 10 weeks ago

I like it with about .1oz creme de violette and a touch more lemon.

• The Art of Choke   3 years 10 weeks ago

This cocktail is so similar to the Art of Choke that I wonder if we need both. I tried it with Clement VSOP and like it, but found it too sweet as written. I have not tried Clement Premier Canne, but I wonder if an agricole with more hogo, like Rhum JM might give it added character.

• Rose Window   3 years 10 weeks ago

Christina, Glad you like it - gin, Campari and pineapple seem to be perfect matches for each other (in the way that dark rum, Cynar and lime are), but I struggle with both of those combinations - see The Riviera. It's also a great example of detailed commentary being useful.

Since you like this, you might also try the Broken Shoe Shiner, from Beta Cocktails.

Zachary

• Rose Window   3 years 10 weeks ago

This drink has such a unique flavor, and is 5 stars for me. The fruit and floral notes are nicely balanced by the Campari and lemon; each delicious ingredient contributes to an even greater final product. The end result is nuanced, layered, and harmonious. I used Voyager gin.

• Colchique   3 years 10 weeks ago

This sounded so good, but just tasted flat. Maybe eliminating the orange juice would help.

• Verde Temprano   3 years 10 weeks ago

Kiwi shrub, like any culinary shrub, is really easy to make when the fruit is in season. I encourage you to try it!

• Verde Temprano   3 years 10 weeks ago

I almost passed this one by as I didn't have kiwi shrub, then I noticed that no one does except the drink's creator!

• Rubicon   3 years 10 weeks ago

Updated to authentic recipe: removed Angostura Orange bitters and added instructions to ignite Green Chartreuse.

• Dernier Mot   3 years 10 weeks ago

This rummy variation is so good. I used the Clement VSOP ( I am no rum expert, but really love this stuff) . Seems the chartreuse/maraschino/citrus combo is good to a variety of spirits.

• Nomayo   3 years 10 weeks ago

I made this without the Champagne, don't like bubbles. It was a little sweet, so subbed half Campari the next time and it was great. (As an aside, I made the Bitter Elder and it was a bit too bitter, so I subbed half Aperol...). For me, this is really perfect when adjusted as described.

• The Art of Choke   3 years 10 weeks ago

I like this. I made it side by side with the Art of Choke since they look pretty similar and I wanted to compare. I prefer this rum choice ( I did sub Clement VSOP since I don't have- and have not tried- the Canne), and the slightly larger quantity of lime and syrup balances the bitterness of the Cynar more to my taste.

• Harlan County   3 years 10 weeks ago

No, I believe that I imported this from another user's database. I cannot find a good on-line reference for the quantities, although the ingredients seem correct. I don't find the syrup mentioned. I updated the attribution. If anyone can confirm the ingredients and quantities, I'd love to update the recipe and mark it as authentic.

• Pisco Flower   3 years 10 weeks ago

Thank you, that is great.

• Harlan County   3 years 10 weeks ago

Is this your own creation Dan?