• Reply to: Negroni   by   4 years 2 months ago

I think that is going to be a tough call- many of these variations/derivatives are delicious, but they are completely different drinks, despite their names. Even substitutions that seem more minor, such as Gran Classico for Campari, create entirely different drinks- and that is even more true for the Cynar/Sherry/Rum etc. substitutions. I'm not a fan of clutter, but I think it makes the most sense to only collapse the more minor tweaks, such as the Perfect Negroni.

• Reply to: Dutch Tulip   by   4 years 2 months ago

Dropped the "fresh squeezed" note because, ya know, all juices are assumed to be fresh squeezed in the land of Kindred Cocktails.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'd really like people's thoughts here - we have 14 things called a Negroni in the database, and fully half of them are calls for the gin and Sweet vermouth. Some are not Negronis at all (those that sub Sherry, sub Aperol for Campari, have Cynar or other things in them). Are there any variants people are particularly attached to that should not be collapsed?

Zachary

• Reply to: Negroni   by   4 years 2 months ago

Kindred Cocktails has accumulated a huge number of nearly-identical Negroni variations. We plan to consolidate these, adding comments for various variations.

• Reply to: Expat   by   4 years 2 months ago

It's outstanding with a dash! 5/5.

• Reply to: Expat   by   4 years 2 months ago

Done. Thanks for the catch.

• Reply to: Expat   by   4 years 2 months ago

FYI, this one needs curating to change 1 oz Peychaud's to 1 dash.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   4 years 2 months ago

If I was on a deserted island with one drink available, this would be it. I also love a number of variations of this drink, but the original, with the classic 1:1:1 proportions, is my favorite (thought I like it best over crushed ice with a lime wedge)

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   4 years 2 months ago

My friend Hugh summed it up, "This is everything a Cosmopolitan wants to be and everything it isn't."

• Reply to: Greenwich Sour   by   4 years 2 months ago

My favorite local bar has a version of this on their happy hour menu called the Hilltop New Yorker- no egg white or fruity garnish but they add rhubarb bitters. It is such a good, simple cocktail, and the rhubarb bitters make all the difference.

• Reply to: Ames Addiction   by   4 years 2 months ago

Just mixed this with 1/2 oz Cocchi and 1/4 oz Punt e Mes in place of the 3/4 oz Carpano and it smacked of Christmas with the extra spice. Very delightful. 4.5.

• Reply to: East Side Elder   by   4 years 2 months ago

Made this with St. George "Botanivore" and lemon juice. Excellent.
    I used two full mint leaves but the cucumber overpowers the mint a bit.
    Next time, I'll use only one cucumber slice.

• Reply to: Cuatro Naranjas   by   4 years 2 months ago

Not "amariphobic", but this sure is a fantastic way to drink tequila :)

• Reply to: Black Hawk Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

Quite tart, but really good. 4.5 as it is, but I have to believe 1 tsp of rich syrup would make it a 5.

• Reply to: Anastasia   by   4 years 2 months ago

We made an almost identical drink at the restaurant and subbed cucumber syrup instead and called it a Snap Dragon.....but the proportions on this drink make for one heck of a large cocktail! Obviously aimed at the Cosmo crowd.

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   4 years 2 months ago

jamaican rum should be appleton v/x
    rhum agricole should be Clement VSOP
    other than that it is good to go - personally i prefer juice of half a lime, but if using key lime i would use 3/4 oz

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 2 months ago

Christina,

Glad you like it - this was one of those "I'm staring at the liquor cabinet and I have no idea what to make" drinks that turns out to be a happy accident. It's definitely session-y: low alcohol, and bitter enough to force sipping. I think the important thing is not to stir it too long, and if you can, serve it in a small wineglass. I have a set of spirits tasting glasses from Pier One that are sharply tapered at the top and hold about 7 oz total.

Zachary

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 2 months ago

This is so, so good.

• Reply to: Andean Exposition   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'm enjoying this a lot, Rob. Nice and grapey, light and refreshing.

• Reply to: Oh Noni No   by   4 years 2 months ago

This is becoming a staple, as it is simple, and cuts the sweetness of the Nonino without covering any of the flavors. I've used other amari with success as well. Thanks for this.

• Reply to: Chrysanthemum   by   4 years 2 months ago

This and a duplex are both great ways to use up dry vermouth. Other herbal liqueurs work as well as benedictine, and you can easily adjust proportions to taste. I'm not a big absinthe fan so I usually just add whatever bitters I'm in the mood for instead.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   4 years 2 months ago

Hi VM, try this with Heering if you can't find Combier Rouge but turn up the Dolin a little to keep the brightness of this drink. And lobby your packie for the Combier Rouge! I'm a true fan of the stuff.

• Reply to: Beta Cocktails by Maks Pazuniak and Kirk Estopinal   by   4 years 2 months ago
  • Reply to: Aperol '86   by   4 years 2 months ago

1.5 ounces strawberry juce, 1/2oz Cinzano Bianco, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/2oz lime juice, 1/2oz Cointreau. Still foul. In a girly vacation sort of way. Needs an umbrella, a whiff of Coppertone and a topless beach.

• Reply to: The Missus   by   4 years 2 months ago

I really like this drink- the cynar/sherry combination is one of my favorites. I subbed a bit with what I had on hand; Lustau East India Sherry, Clement Rhum Agricole, and Adam Elmegirab's Spanish bitters. I'll make this again, thank you!