• Reply to: Beta Cocktails by Maks Pazuniak and Kirk Estopinal   by   4 years 1 month ago
  • Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 1 month ago

Dan,

I'm glad y'all liked it - I have a feeling this could be a long drink as well - strain into an ice-filled Collins and top with 3-4 oz of sparkling water.

Zachary

• Reply to: It Only Hurts the First Time   by   4 years 1 month ago

This was excellent. My wife took the glass from me and kept it. I suspect it would work well with white grapefruit juice, too -- maybe even better, depending upon the sweetness of the fruits. I was surprised at how floral it is. The combination really brings out the floral nature of Gran Classico, which Campari lacks. It is also useful as a low-alcohol cocktail. Between the alcohol and the bitterness, it is pleasantly slow-sipping -- perfect for a relaxing afternoon where you might have more than one drink. Yet it drinks like a cocktail, rather than a super-light aperitif.

• Reply to: Keyser Soze   by   4 years 1 month ago

How exactly do you make ghost pepper syrup. Done incorrectly this could be a dangerous concoction...

• Reply to: Kon-tini   by   4 years 1 month ago

I used Cruzan single barrel and Lemonhart 80 proof. This came out syrupy sweet, so I'd suggest starting with with half the falernum and ginger liqueur quantities and adjusting from there.

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 1 month ago

Thanks. I love Fino sherries - I mean, how can you not love a wine that grows in soil like this?

Zachary

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 1 month ago

Wow, "saline" is a good call, I believe.

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 1 month ago

Mahastew,

Taking a guess here, it's that the Fino is too dry for the other ingredients - it 'leans out" the rich Bourbon, and adds saline/vinyl notes that are what you're finding odd. If you have some, try a dry Oloroso, which should be more rich and woody to pair with the Bourbon.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   4 years 1 month ago

Finally tried again, 1.5 Calvados and no gin which I think it is an improvement. Fruity but not cloying. Worth toying with, and if you don't have Creme Yvette (I have a huge bottle to use up) most any floral liqueur would work...

• Reply to: Aztec Conquest   by   4 years 1 month ago

I used a different fino and another, organic brand of chocolate bitters, otherwise all ingredients specified. It's tasty and interesting. There's something just a bit incongruous about the mix. The scent of orange and chocolate is delightful, however. 4/5.

• Reply to: Accoutrement   by   4 years 1 month ago

This had been on my to-try list for months, and I'm glad I finally did. A fruity-herbal sidecar of sorts. Great use for both Calvados and Strega, both of which I rarely reach for. I could see tinkering with the proportions a bit (Dan might think this is too sweet :) ), but the overall idea is a good one.

• Reply to: Santucci   by   4 years 1 month ago

How's that?

• Reply to: Santucci   by   4 years 1 month ago

Hi Dan. Can you be more specific with the instructions?
    cheers.

• Reply to: Dirt 'n Diesel   by   4 years 1 month ago

Made it half the sugar and it was still too sweet, so I doubled the lime. You had better love molasses if you want to like this drink. Personally, I think the Fernet overpowers the Cynar, but really, the molasses overpowers them both. Next time, I'd try my existing changes, plus inverting the Fernet / Cynar ratio and splitting the rum with a dry white rum without molasses -- maybe even an agricole. Or cachaca.

• Reply to: Poire Bomb   by   4 years 1 month ago

Yes, I would not substitute Pear Liqueur without re-designing the drink. It would be way too sweet for the amount of acid, and would overpower the other flavors, since Pear Eau-de-vie was a much more subtle flavor.

• Reply to: Poire Bomb   by   4 years 2 months ago

I used J pear liqueur (60 proof) and not true eau de vie. Quite tasty, indeed; the maraschino didn't have a chance to dominate. Powerful sweet. The only real drawback I can see is the risk of diabetes. 4/5.

• Reply to: Excellent Eyelashes   by   4 years 2 months ago

Pretty good, but not quite there for me; I think the lime juice and ginger beer are bringing me down. Lemon juice instead, no ginger beer? 3.8/5.

• Reply to: Nameless Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

Curated to estimate the volume of grapefruit soda used to top the drink.

• Reply to: Savory Pimm's Cup   by   4 years 2 months ago

Curated this - I know it's not easy, but we try to avoid "top with" amounts of ingredients due to different sized glassware. I'm assuming that 4 oz of birch beer would almost fill an ice-filled Collins that had 2 3/4 oz in it.

• Reply to: Bitter Spring   by   4 years 2 months ago

Love this beverage, Sother says you can use regular orgeat in place of the hazelnut and the drink won't suffer. It's really more of a float of Peychauds, the top sixth of the finalized drink should be red.

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   4 years 2 months ago

I have written the restaurant in the hopes of getting an authentic recipe. I did make this with, uh, liberal substitutions -- Punt e Mes for the Carpano Antica and Amaro Nardini for Creme de Cacao. I enjoyed the cocktail, although I would reduce the Mezcal to keep the smoke in balance, and I can see that more chocolate would be good. Still, a complex and entertaining drink, even with my approximation.

• Reply to: The Algonquin   by   4 years 2 months ago

I have had this a couple times and not very impressed with it. Strange enough I was looking through the Craft of the Cocktail and Dale DeGroff had a completely different version but stated it was served at the Algonquin Hotel....hmmm either way it sounded tastier then the original I've always known. 2oz light rum, 1/2oz blackberry brandy, 1/2oz Benedictine, 1/2 oz lime juice. Shaken, strained, cocktail, cherry garnish. Anyone else read anywhere to substantiate Mr DeGroffs claimed version?

• Reply to: The Powhatan   by   4 years 2 months ago

Cleaned this up a bit - removed "fresh" from the ginger - we assume all fresh ingredients are fresh. I also removed the "Any Call Brand" from the Rye - we also assume you're using high quality ingredients and that if you think any Rye will work, other people will use whatever Rye they have on hand.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lipspin   by   4 years 2 months ago

This sounded interesting, but I think it really needs some acid. May give it a try again next time I am stumped by what to do with my sloe gin; I used the Bitter Truth.