• Reply to: Manhattan   by   3 years 3 months ago

I had almost given up on Manhattans, until an awesome bartender made me one with Black Maple Hill Bourbon and Carpano Antica...

• Reply to: Apparent Sour   by   3 years 3 months ago

The rosemary garnish is delicious, but this drink is really sweet. I added 1.5 oz gin, which helped some. If I were to try again, I would probably just make a Bitter Elder with rosemary added...

• Reply to: The Shift Drink   by   3 years 3 months ago

Hard to go wrong with Fernet Branca and ginger- this drink is delicious.

• Reply to: Steve's Word   by   3 years 3 months ago

Added better attribution, instructions, and clarified brand preference. Seems like a bold and interesting drink. It's on my suggested list now.

• Reply to: Bengali Cider   by   3 years 3 months ago

I can't get over how well Old Monk pairs with apple cider.

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   3 years 3 months ago

Here's a vote for the RumDood method: 1 oz each light and dark rum, 3/4 lime, 1/2 oz each Clement Creole Shrubb and Orgeat, 1/4 oz simple, shake, strain over crushed ice, garnish with a spent lime shell and mint. I used Smith & Cross and St. James Hors d'Age.

I think the main problem with Tiki drinks is that they all serve as dump buckets for every crazy flavored syrup in the repertiore - falernum, orgeat, grenadine, curacao, Pimiento Dram... they all go in, and it ends up being a messy drink without discernable flavors.

Zachary

• Reply to: Laphroaig Project   by   3 years 3 months ago

Did this up last night with the cask strength 10 year old as that's what I had on hand. It's one of the few cocktails I've tried with this much green chartreuse where it didn't overwhelm the cocktail. Smoky, herbal, yet oddly refreshing.

• Reply to: Millionaire #4   by   3 years 3 months ago

I reduced the lime to 1 oz. Depending upon the size and juiciness of the lime, this might be what one lime yields. I wonder if the original was intended to use true dry apricot brandy, rather than apricot liqueur (which is often referred to as apricot brandy). I would be interested in trying the original, but I don't have apricot eau-de-vie or dry apricot brandy on hand.

Ted created this drink with Plymouth Sloe Gin in mind, and Marie Brizzard Apry for the apricot "brandy."

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 3 months ago

Made a variation of this with rye, Gran Classico, and Amaro CioCiaro. Excellent. Used it for Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night and called it a Balsa Airplane.

• Reply to: Butter, Lemon, Smoke   by   3 years 3 months ago

I get the smoke, obviously, but from whence the Butter and Lemon? Sounds interesting. Also sounds like the sort of thing I might prefer neat. If you like this, you might try the Bernet Frankenstein, a mixture of Islay Scotch, Punt e Mes, and Fernet Branca, served neat.

One question: is the garnish a lemon wedge, slice, or what. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture. It also looks like the coupe is rimmed with something, but it might just be the light hitting it oddly.

• Reply to: Eva Peron   by   3 years 3 months ago

I would say the ginger beer float is optional; I made this without and the drink was delicious.

• Reply to: Boston Cocktail   by   3 years 3 months ago

(Made with pomegranate molasses for grenadine)

hm. I liked what is going on here - I'll probably do some fussing with the proportions.

on second thought: I like it just the way it is. I'll make this again.

• Reply to: Millionaire #4   by   3 years 3 months ago

Made according to specifications (Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot) Lime overpowered the drink. I should have added gradually - 1.25 ounces seemed like a lot.

• Reply to: Jaded Gin Daiquiri   by   3 years 3 months ago

I like the way the Fernet Branca mixes with the grapefruit and Maraschino. I started with half the amount called for, thinking it might take over, but the full quantity makes for a much more interesting drink.

• Reply to: Lazy Bear   by   3 years 3 months ago

This is really good, thanks for posting. I didn't have the bitters- used Peychaud's, and Wild Turkey rye.

• Reply to: Cubed Old Fashioned   by   3 years 3 months ago

Curated to fix typo in cocktail name, clarify the syrup, and format the syrup to fit Kindred Cocktails. Thanks for posting.

• Reply to: Improved Holland Gin Cocktail   by   3 years 3 months ago

Corrected recipe from fancy (orange liqueur) to improved (maraschino and absinthe). Added references, improved details.

• Reply to: Rubicon   by   3 years 4 months ago

This seems to be a nice twist on the Last Word. Made a couple of last night and loved how the Chartreuse lights beautifully. I did feel the second sprig of Rosemary a bit overkill.

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 4 months ago

Sure, makes sense. I was copying it exactly as written...

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated to clarify rum as a light rum. While it is true that Flor de Caña light rum is aged 4 years and clear in color, I don't think most folks would describe it as other than as a light rum, rather than an añejo rum.

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   3 years 4 months ago

The float of bitters really makes this drink.

• Reply to: Mezcal Cafe su Da   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated to add quantity of condensed milk, remove coffee quantity from ingredient name, and add reference. Also removed Borden's since I bet any condensed milk will work fine and I don't really see the need for Kindred Cocktails to have to know about Borden's as a brand.

• Reply to: Post Road Punch   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated to remove "sour mix" as an ingredient. Added ingredient note about making sour mix as mise en place.

• Reply to: Conference   by   3 years 4 months ago

We really liked this cocktail. We used Rye and Bourbon - Bulleit, Prunier VS Cognac, Clear Creek Pomme, Bitter Truth Mole Bitters for the original and thought it was just damn delightful.
    Looking to do a punch version for possible fall menu consideration. Any thoughts or suggestions? Especially a beautiful garnish...would love to get our pastry chef involved.

• Reply to: Apple of My Rye   by   3 years 4 months ago

Sorry thanks for the correction! Yes this is dashes not ounces.