• Reply to: Martini de Hueso   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to move El Tesoro, R&W Apricot and Fee Bros. from Notes to Preferred Brands. Added instructions, treating this like a Martini.

• Reply to: Copper Swan   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to move Highland Park 12 from notes to Preferred brand.

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   3 years 5 months ago

Really good, and worth the effort of making the pineapple syrup. The rum shines, the pineapple complements from the background without taking over, and the cynar adds just enough bitterness. I love my Smith and Cross, and this cocktail is worthy:)

• Reply to: The Fleet Street   by   3 years 5 months ago

This is a winner! I used unmeasured agave since I didn't have simple on hand - hopefully I can replicate this, because it's tasty.

• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   3 years 5 months ago

I find Meletti has the gestalt of chocolate in it. This sounds very nice. Adding it to my suggested cocktails now...

• Reply to: Crux   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to add attribution and rewrite instructions in our own words (and more concisely).

I'm making this now, using Carpano Antica Forumla because, sadly no Dubonnet Rouge on hand. Very nice. I'm very fond of the word "crux." As a retired rock climber, the crux of a climb is its single most difficult move. Once you're past the crux, you know that you can make it. Fond memories.

• Reply to: Front Steps   by   3 years 5 months ago

This is good, but I agree that adjustments are better, I used:
    Jim Beam (finishing off the bottle), Clear Creek, Taylor's, and 1/2 oz.lemon with Peychaud's.

Close, but next time I'll probably reduce the Falernum to match the reduced lemon. And I'll have to try it with a true Black Forest kirsch like Schladerer. And another American kirsch like Aqua Perfecta. And other ryes, possibly increasing that to 1½. I think it'll be worth another few tries.

• Reply to: Tom and Jerry   by   3 years 5 months ago

So.... I think I like this best with 2 tablespoons of batter, 1 oz Smith&Cross, and filling the 8 ounce glass with hot milk. 2 ounces of alcohol per 8 ounce glass is overkill.

• Reply to: Alto Cucina #2   by   3 years 5 months ago

Previous commenter really missed a good experience by not using creme de fraise. 4.5 stars for me.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to spell out Colonel in the title to make it easier to find. Old URL's to cocktail/col-carpano will still work.

• Reply to: To Be Continued   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to change the Solerno liqueur to be a brand of Orange liqueur, rather than Blood orange juice.

• Reply to: To Be Continued   by   3 years 5 months ago

Mark,

I moderated this very slightly in three places: First, to move the instructions for making the cinnamon syrup into the Notes section - does this get heated, or does everything combine overnight? Second, I tweaked Angostura Bitters, Angostura to Bitters, Angostura, and finally, changed the cocktail to an Original Creation.

Can you clarify how the cinnamon syrup is made?

Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: 1794   by   3 years 5 months ago

Try straining over one big-ass cube, and then sprinkling a pinch of Maldon on its surface. A la the Little Giuseppe.

• Reply to: Industry Sour   by   3 years 5 months ago

Curated to fix all caps title and remove redundant notes. Sounds pretty interesting.

• Reply to: Vintage Spirts and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh   by   3 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: Pompadour   by   3 years 5 months ago

I tried this with Clement Rhum Agricole and Hardy Pineau des Charentes. It was good enough, but didn't wow me. I also tried cognac in place of the rhum agricole, and that was promising, a sidecar of sorts. Worth revisiting and tinkering a bit.

• Reply to: Curari Cocktail   by   3 years 5 months ago

I wish I could get both Cora and Meletti in Texas!

• Reply to: Curari Cocktail   by   3 years 5 months ago

I didn't have any port, so I subbed Bonal Gentiane-Quina for now. This made a nice drink, lots of dried fruit flavors, some sweetness but not too much. I'll try it again with port as soon as I have some. The Cora strikes me as somewhere between Becherovka (without the dominant allspice flavor) and Averna...

• Reply to: Kina Cocktail   by   3 years 5 months ago

Pretty good with both Carpano Antica and Punt e Mes; a couple dashes of Angostura orange bitters improved it for me. I think an orange or lime twist would also help.

• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   3 years 5 months ago

I don't know, but probably. I'll give DavisSqPro credit.

• Reply to: All The Gin Joints by Michael Turback   by   3 years 5 months ago
  • Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   3 years 5 months ago

It looks like this is a variation of a Duplex. I stumbled upon this- I wonder if this is where you saw it too: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/636481. In any case, it is a lovely drink that I keep coming back to with various modifications...

• Reply to: Windfall   by   3 years 5 months ago

This is a nice cocktail. The tropical flavors of the Bison Grass Vodka (I used Zu) melds with the apple of the Calvados. I found it a touch sweet, so I might scale back the simple syrup next time. I added a couple of dashes of Boker's Bitters, which added bitterness and depth. I'm wondering if something like Zucca might have a place in a variation of this cocktail.

• Reply to: Prizefighter   by   3 years 5 months ago

Has anyone actually made this? It looks like a heck of a lot of simple syrup, given the piddly amount of lemon and the other two sweet ingredients. Seems like it would be toothache sweet.

• Reply to: Black Scottish Cyclops   by   3 years 5 months ago

'They've got more *** ***** **** *** **** than the likes o' me!' Love the name. ^_^