• Reply to: Greenhouse Gimlet   by   4 years 1 month ago

Moderated for style. 1-1/2 lime (juiced) was changed to 1-1/2 oz lime juice, since an average-sized lime yields about 1 oz. We prefer specific volume measurements whenever possible to make the recipe repeatable. Limes vary far too much in size and juiciness to specify them by each.

Also, Art in the Age Sage appears to be essentially a type of gin, so the ingredient was moderated to a brand of gin.

• Reply to: The Lemony Pabla   by   4 years 1 month ago

This is quite delicious... I like the way you think, Stew! Even when they're (occasionally) not to my palate, your drinks always intrigue me... I fully intended for this to be the first drink I tried with my new bottle of Galliano, but I got distracted/inspired and used most of it in developing a drink I recently posted called the Bech & Gall. But I'm glad I saved enough to finally try this. Yum... For me, the first few sips were mostly about the anise from the Galliano, with a nice oaky finish. But after that, the other fruitier flavors came more into focus, providing a great sweet-tart taste.

• Reply to: Scozesse   by   4 years 1 month ago

seriously yummy!

• Reply to: Therapeutic Agent   by   4 years 1 month ago

Moderated from 1 to 1/4 oz Fernet as per the notes. I'm assuming that 1 oz was a typo.

• Reply to: Bay Breeze   by   4 years 1 month ago

Made with sour cherry juice. Found the Rum too forward

• Reply to: Winter Sour   by   4 years 1 month ago

this is seriously yummy

• Reply to: Kashmiri Caipirinha   by   4 years 1 month ago

Cleaned up a little - fixed spelling of turmeric, moved serrano to notes, shortened syrup note to avoid line wrap.

• Reply to: SNAP Happy   by   4 years 1 month ago

I'm trying to figure out a way to normalize all the Art in the Age liqueurs, and I think it's best if we call them what they are in the ingredient box (e.g. Ginger liqueur) and use the specific name (e.g. Snap) for the brand. I think we all know (or can find out quickly) that Art in the Age makes these things, and it's not necessary to call them organic.

Zachary

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   4 years 2 months ago

This cocktail is a perfect example of the end result is dependent upon what brand you use, especially for the allspice dram. I usually give generic recipes so that way the "essence" of the cocktail is usually intact with most commonly found brands and ingredients. First time I made this I used Ted Haigh's ratio of 2oz bourbon, 3/4 oz allspice dram (yikes!!!!) 1/2 oz lime and 1/4 oz simple (dash of bitters too). Waaaayyy too much spice....but I used St. Elizabeths. I think Dan is right on with a tsp, in which that's the amount I use now with St. Elizabeth. the "or less" he stated after the allspice ratio is an understatment...Still, quite pleasing when done with minimal allspice and using rye vs bourbon.

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

We have this on our menu right now and we steer away from original ratios and go with 2 oz rye, 3/4 oz dry vermouth, tsp maraschino and a tsp amer picon. More of a current "Manhattan" ratio.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #3 (Robert Hess)   by   4 years 2 months ago

I've seen salt in recipes with Cynar before, and it's easy to imagine it working in lots of places where one wants to emphasize the savoriness of a cocktail. (Salt as cocktail umami?) Now, I've seen salt and citrus paired successfully (read: to the citrus's advantage) in cookery before, but never in mixology--not that my experience in either domain is expert-level. On the other hand, I've pinched salt straight into Cointreau, which, if done in a sufficiently restrained way, makes it interestingly more citrusy: the sweetness and bitterness recede, and the "flavor" presses forward--especially the flowery, nasal quality of the citrus.

I'm not familiar with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao. I can see why a bit of sugar might balance things the way you want. But why the brandy base?

• Reply to: Solstice   by   4 years 2 months ago

Mighty tasty! I added a couple dashes of grapefruit bitters to poke a little fun at the allspice, and added an amarena cherry for garnish because, well, why not?

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I discovered (and fell madly in love with) this drink at my favorite DC spot, where they make it with Old Overholt rye. Doesn't have to be expensive to be good! As for a clove-forward bitters--from a separate comment--The Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters might fit the bill, if you really want some extra spice.

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

Hmm, interesting. I make this (apparently historically inaccurate, but to my mind preferable) version: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/the-brooklyn-cocktail-rye-mar.... I guess it is 2:1, not 3:1.

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

The Staub recipe is 1/2 jigger French vermouth and 1/2 jigger "good rye whisky" - it's a small, weird drink.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #3 (Robert Hess)   by   4 years 2 months ago

Salt might work, although I tend to think of using it more with savory flavors like Cynar. I would like to re-try this with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao in lieu of triple sec. I think the brandy base and the modest sugar would both help.

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

Is this really supposed to be equal amounts of rye and dry vermouth? I like this drink with more of a 3:1 ratio

• Reply to: Liberal   by   4 years 2 months ago

Been meaning to try this for probably a yr- finally did, and not a fan as it is too sweet and the orange flavor is overwhelming. I did use Bittermens Amere Nouvelle so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. I'd much prefer a Brooklyn cocktail.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #3 (Robert Hess)   by   4 years 2 months ago

Salt can also cut bitterness. Would a tiny pinch of salt bring out the floweriness of the citrus?

• Reply to: Crazed Fruit   by   4 years 2 months ago

This is one of the few drinks I've made up that I go back to on a regular basis - basically whenever I have a bottle of bianco open. I'll have to try it with dry vermouth - actually, dry vermouth and rhum agricole makes a lot of sense to me, although that's a dry starting point for any cocktail.

• Reply to: Prospect Park   by   4 years 2 months ago

Hmm... I'm imagining a bar where you have to spell your drink in order to get served. As much as I abhor mangled English, I do not go there often. ;)

• Reply to: Crazed Fruit   by   4 years 2 months ago

Still no bianco, so I made this with dry vermout h. Very nice and not, to my taste, too dry. I'm not sure about the persimmon, but it's a fruity drink with no strong fruit ingredient.

• Reply to: Prospect Park   by   4 years 2 months ago

If you can't spell Nonino, you aren't allowed to drink it. Go directly to Jägermeister; do not pass Go.

• Reply to: Fig Bee's Knees   by   4 years 2 months ago

Sounds very good, and a reason to finally get some Fee Black Walnut Bitters. Republished as a Fig Bee's Knees, since it is not a Martini-style cocktail. The original poster is welcome to rename it so long as the name conforms to any well-established drinks referenced in the name.

• Reply to: Single Serving Egg Nog   by   4 years 2 months ago

Moderated slightly for style and to consolidate ginger snap liqueur into ginger liqueur. I presumed that the pinch of nutmeg was the garnish, and was not in the shaker.