• Reply to: Broken Shoe Shiner   by   3 years 3 months ago

This exact recipe is posted on About.com and is called "Rimbaud's Left Hand." Any background on which name is more authentic?

• Reply to: Airmail   by   3 years 3 months ago

Made with El Dorado 12 year rum, this is one of my favorite drinks of all time. I made this at my brother-in-law's wedding reception, and it was a huge hit.

• Reply to: Violet Hour   by   3 years 3 months ago

Curated to provide another instruction, detail on bitters, and another source reference.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 3 months ago

Really a dessert drink. Too sweet as written for before dinner. I don't know how much 3 dashes of cocoa powder is, so I used 1/2 tsp. The drink has an interesting balance between the herbal, bitter, mint/menthol, and chocolate.

• Reply to: Twentieth Century Cocktail   by   3 years 3 months ago

Curated to spell out name and merge into this cocktail the variations of the existing "modern" variation.

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 3 months ago

Happy Day! Bittermen's Amere Nouvelle is now being distributed. I haven't seen it yet in the Boston area, but DrinkUpNY has it for NYC and mail order (into those states that can). Also, if you click the Amer Picon link in the recipe, you'll find similar information to these comments.

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   3 years 3 months ago

The cocktail was updated to reflect the authoritative recipe in the PDT cocktail book. The previous (very similar) recipe was for a smaller less boozy drink: 1:2/3:1/2

• Reply to: Marais   by   3 years 3 months ago

Hi Rob,

Amer Picon is not currently imported into the States and is therefore tough to find. Two good substitutes are Torani Amer and CioCiaro.

• Reply to: Dirt in my Drink   by   3 years 3 months ago

Just made it again tonight for the first time in a long time. Those little cans of prune juice have been littering up the refrigerator long enough. I tried it with both 1/2 and 1 full oz of prune juice and was happy with it as written. My wife didn't like it when I made it last time, but came around this time.

You are right prunes. A favorite ice cream of mine is "dried plum armagnac" from Lizzy's in Waltham, MA. Do you think it would sell as well a "prune brandy ice cream?"

• Reply to: Dirt in my Drink   by   3 years 3 months ago

Dan, actually this sounds pretty yummy! Prunes have a bad rap, they are only dried plums and delicious properly dried. The Cynar and lime juice read like they hit the right notes, and I like the arrack and rye backbone. I'm gonna try this!

• Reply to: Bitter Spring   by   3 years 3 months ago

Out of curiosity I made toasted hazlenut orgeat, though I don't think it is really necessary. This is similar to (but not quite as good as) the Golden Gate Swizzle. I used Canton in place of ginger syrup, Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr rum, and strained it as I wasn't wanting the slushy preparation.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 3 months ago

Thanks for the attribution info. Updated. Also tweaked the ingredients to correspond to the instructions.

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 3 months ago

This is Chris Kiel's cocktail, in case anyone wants to update the reference. He has not made me a cocktail that I haven't loved...

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   3 years 3 months ago

I was afraid this would be a horrific experience that might forever repel me from two of my best loves, fernet and Chartreuse. To the contrary, it was an astonishing delight! Not one of the greatest cocktails I've ever had, but definitely "damn tasty." I dare say the cocoa-fernet-Chartreuse combination is ingenious, and the egg white gives it great body. Thanks for posting!

• Reply to: Americano   by   3 years 3 months ago

Improved recipe to specify the amount of soda (equal parts of all ingredients). Added a reference to the Campari website.

• Reply to: Americano   by   3 years 3 months ago

I love this made with Gran Classico and Carpano Antica

• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   3 years 4 months ago

I'm not sure where I got this. I probably was from an online forum.

• Reply to: Dernier Mot   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated to improve attribution and clarify authentic ingredients.

• Reply to: Fernet Sling   by   3 years 4 months ago

The Carpano and lemon soften the edges of this drink but the Fernet Branca definitely dominates. Really nice.

• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   3 years 4 months ago

This is very nice. Is it your creation?

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated (can you curate yourself?) to remove my demented substitution of Meletti for Amer Picon. They are nothing alike. If you want to substitute, use Amaro CioCiaro or Amaro Lucano for the Amer Picon. Absent that, use Amaro Ramazzotti and a dash or two of Angostura Orange bitters. I would like to say I loved this drink given its great history and NYC borough name. I can't. With less Maraschino and more Amer Picon, I might enjoy it. It would also benefit from a bitter bone-dry vermouth, like Sutton Cellars Brown label.

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 4 months ago

Yikes! Thanks for pointing this out. I've written Toby for verification since I've seen it on the web otherwise. Sometimes cocktails evolve over time. I'll have to make one with both amari to compare. Sounds like fun.

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   3 years 4 months ago

Curated to standardize formatting and to refer to the improved 1494.

• Reply to: Paper Airplane   by   3 years 4 months ago

The Paper Airplane uses Amaro Nonino, not Ramazzotti. Toby specifies <a href="http://egullet.org/p1581127">here</a>. The key differences between the Paper Plane and Paper Airplane are a switch from Elijah Craig to Buffalo Trace and Aperol to Campari. The Nonino stays the same. Personally, I prefer Campari and Elijah Craig (which would be a hybrid of the two recipes). Tonight I made a version with George T. Stagg (calling it the Lead Balloon), which is rather nice in its own right.

ETA: Both drinks are also served up.

• Reply to: Margara   by   3 years 4 months ago

Tried this as above and liked it. Creole Shrubb works really well with the tequila and Cynar. But on my second try I made a small modification using Bittermans Xocolatl mole bitters in place of the Angostura orange. For me that made it even better!