• Reply to: Pink Lady   by   4 years 1 month ago

delicious and deceptively mild in taste

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   4 years 1 month ago

Personally I am very pleased with the taste, but of course I created it so I am definitely biased. I find that the Jim Beam Black pairs very nicely with the honey, gentian and sage essence that I taste with Cynar (funny how you don't really taste artichoke) especially since there is a high amount of rye mashed and it's a fairly low alcohol bourbon. I love the Bittermans Mole Bitters and it is such a fantastic and complex blend of flavors that it doesn't really have a big "chocolate" profile but a little more spice, like nutmeg, cinnamon, cheyenne, etc. Fee Aztec Chocolate Bitters made the end result a bit too rich. Also, I now usually only put in about a tsp of simple syrup as apposed to the 1/2 oz I originally did. I have a bit of a sweet tooth when it comes to cocktails but the bourbon and Cynar are rich enough. Thanks again and I hope you like it.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   4 years 1 month ago

Recipe looks fantastic. How would you describe the result? Anything interesting to "listen" for with the palate (flavors that you notice when someone else tells you to look for them)?

• Reply to: Confused Limey   by   4 years 1 month ago

How about "Rhymes with Lime"?

• Reply to: Shaddock   by   4 years 1 month ago

This is wonderful!

• Reply to: Surfer Rosa Obscura   by   4 years 1 month ago

All I had was Cruzan Blackstrap, so I used half of the amount of rum, added two extra drops of rose water and two tsp. of an herbal infused simple syrup I had just made. Would like to try the original, but if you like the taste of a Jungle Bird or a Dirt and Diesel, this is a good alternative.

• Reply to: Metamorphosis   by   4 years 2 months ago

I came up with nearly the same recipe (exact proportions even!), though I used simple syrup instead of the honey syrup. (Named it the "Letoslav".) I'm going to bet that this version--with the honey--is better, though. Maybe using different honeys will prove interesting. Buckwheat, for example, seems promising. I used to get pine honey when I lived in France, but I've never seen it this side of the pond. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply to: Cranberry Brandy Sour   by   4 years 2 months ago

This is a great crowd-pleasing Thanksgiving cocktail. When you're making your cranberry relish, simply reserve some cranberry syrup for use later in cocktails. If you don't have cachaça (a Brazilian rum-like spirit made from sugar cane juice), you could substitute a light rum.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'd say that if you like bourbon equally well as rye, then use bourbon here. If you prefer rye to bourbon, rye works fine too.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I want to try rye in this. And actually, it's pretty potent due to the high quantity of spirit. Booker's would put you under the table.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   4 years 2 months ago

This cocktail is much nicer than I previously thought. I had substituted Nux Alpina Walnut Liqueur (Nocino) for the Allspice Dram and thought it was merely good. I think the trick is to balance the Allspice Dram with the bourbon. St Elizabeth is very potent. I suggest no more than 1/4 oz and maybe just 1 tsp (1/6 oz). To add a bit more depth, I added 1/4 oz of Becherovka, which has a compatible cinnamon spice and a touch of bitterness. Together with the Angostura, and in moderation, this combines with the bourbon and lime for an accessible and unusual cocktail. A clove-forward bitters would work well too, I suspect.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving 'Wine'   by   4 years 2 months ago

sounds close enough for comfort, enjoy!

ted

• Reply to: My Fair Gael   by   4 years 2 months ago

I up'd the whiskey to 2oz and decided to use a tsp of simple syrup. After trying this again today, I felt it needed a little more whiskey in sip as it was a bit too light. Given, Irish whiskeys are usually lighter in style this is still a great intro to whiskey cocktails. You could also use 1/2tsp of simple syrup if you like it a little less sweet, given the amounts of Chartreuse, but my sweet tooth likes a tsp just fine.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving 'Wine'   by   4 years 2 months ago

This is good. I used 1/4oz cynar, and I used plain old Jim Beam instead of an overproof bourbon. My cherries are Amarena Toschi, and I didn't add extra syrup. I'd probably just leave the cherry out next time and go with a lemon twist instead. I don't know that my version would pass for wine, but it is a good use for the Pimm's I'm trying to use up.

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

I do the same thing with Cynar- a spoonful often seems to finish a cocktail that is a little flat otherwise. I've had my eye on the Krakatoa cocktail- I think this weekend I'll give it a try

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'll keep an eye out for the Obstler- it sounds like something I would like. For now I improvised with a mix of apple brandy (I have clear creek) and pear eau-de-vie (I used clear creek but could try massenez next time). I agree, time for a new drink name/recipe- this is good stuff.

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

I guess I'm pretty terribly biased due to personal history. I love that sh*t!

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

OK, I ran out and got a bottle since it has recently appeared in my area of Boston without having to travel to the North End. I'm trying to imagine it as you described, but I get mostly orange, mildly bitter, fairly sweet, and upon the initial sip a brief moment where it comes together as artificial. That does dissipate. By contrast, del Capo was also orange and bitter, but with more alcohol to balance it, and less sweet. del Capo does have some caramel in it, which I would not necessarily say is a good thing, but overall I would rather sip del Capo. I suspect that Montenegro will work as a cocktail ingredient, and I look forward to trying it in this one. In this regard, it seems similar to Aperol; I like it as an ingredient, but not by itself.

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

For Sibilia, try Krakatoa, August 25th 1883 from the evil mind of Zachary. Also, I use it (Sibilia, not Zachary) in small amounts to perk up level of cocktails that aren't that interesting to me otherwise. Amazing with 1 tsp will do.

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   4 years 2 months ago

More success with this formula last night.1 oz bourbon, 2 oz Averna, 1 oz Obstler, 1/2 oz lemon juice. A bit on the big side, but very good. Bauer's Obstler is an Austrian 80 proof pot-distilled eau-de-vie with 70% apple and 30% pear. I found it in the NH state liquor store, thanks to my friend Ivars. It is quite affordable ($20-$25/liter). I think this drink template needs a new name and a prototype recipe. Its very good.

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   4 years 2 months ago

I really like that idea too. I paid $30 for my little bottle, and I had to send away for it. It is delicious stuff- good score!

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   4 years 2 months ago

Good call. I did the same thing in a different way: 1 oz bourbon, 1 oz Averna, 1 oz apricot eau-de-vie, 1/2 oz lemon. Very nice. Then I had a little 50:50 Averna and apricot eau-de-vie. Very nice too. I really wish I had bought more Blume Marillen when I found it for only $18/375ml!

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

I don't think creamsicle is very accurate. It is gently herbal and orange-flavored, but not one-note, and not very bitter. My best approximation would be half del Capo, half CioCiaro, though Montenegro isn't as spicy as that mix. It isn't on my list of 5 or 10 favorite amari, but do like it. Sibilla on the other hand, well, I just can't quite figure out what to do with that stuff...

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 years 2 months ago

Dan, I recommend getting your hands on the real deal asap. Calling it "creamsicle" is short-changing it drastically. Without getting too maudlin, I spent my honeymoon on a small island in the Maldives. They made their own essential oil there, which they perfumed the place with. The scent was other-worldly: tropical flowers, ylang ylang, bright sunlight, rainbow auras. Montenegro is the flavor transcription of that scent; it took me right back there. Amazing stuff.

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   4 years 2 months ago

I remembered liking this, but I wanted a less sweet version this time, so I tried 1.5 bourbon, .75 averna, and .25 each apricot liqueur and lemon juice. A very nice whiskey sour....