• Pisco Flower   3 years 7 weeks ago

If you try the Tempus Fugit instead of the Rothman & Winter, I think that will eliminate the desire to use less of the Violette. In fact, I doubled it, and it was still pretty gentle on the floral notes.

I don't know much about Pisco, other than to look for a Peruvian brand. I have Guacamayo, and I haven't been crazy about any of the Pisco drinks I have tried. Would anyone recommend another brand, or am I just not a Pisco girl? (I did like it in Peru a few years ago, but sometimes context is everything).

• Celery Sour   3 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Zachary,

I added the Herbsaint and the Angostura orange bitters to my (ever-growing) list. I am glad you guys didn't feel spammed with my cocktail additions to your database:) I was really happy to find a place to 1) consolidate my bookmarks, and 2) share with the hope that I could make a like-minded soul happy. I'll report back after trying this again with the specified ingredients.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

I will try that and post back. I do like my Campari, but in small doses, so this may work nicely.

• Yellow Parrot   3 years 7 weeks ago

I used Obsello Absinthe Verte. All I taste in this cocktail is anise, and I am not sure if this is due to the brand I have (I haven't tried others to compare) or if I just prefer smaller quantities of this ingredient (I use it in corpse reviver #2 and love it there).

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 7 weeks ago

First, the KC orgeat recipe is awesome (I should know... it's my take on fxcuisine's version). It's also a great way to meet cocktail-minded friends: the recipe makes 3 liters of orgeat, so you can make two other people insanely happy.

I think it's worth picking up both Regans' and Ango orange - Regans' is like orange breathmint - it has a lighter orange aroma and a green freshness to it. Ango orange is more juicy, like the peel of an incredibly beautiful orange.

You are right in saying this is an addicting drink, though!

Zachary

• Metamorphosis   3 years 7 weeks ago

I chose this as my first cocktail with which to sample my brand new bottle of Becherovka. Even if I only make this over and over again, I will be happy. Delicious, thank you.

• Celery Sour   3 years 7 weeks ago

Christina, Thank you for the kind comment and the new cocktails. My intent was to make a cocktail that smelled like celery without any celery in it, the way a Jasmine builds pink grapefruit flavors through lemon and Campari. It was completely accidental. I was playing around with St. Germain, and I love both Fernet and the sour family, and the St. Germain + Fernet was interestingly green. Herbsaint with the two of those brings it very very close to smelling like celery.

As for substitutions, Sapphire for Broker's should be fine. Herbsaint is probably more sweet than your absinthe. And while you can use BT Celery Bitters, I don't think they're necessary. I think the Herbsaint is the important thing for you to get.

Zachary

• Sloppy Possum   3 years 7 weeks ago

That is some sublime, gingery minty goodness. Disclaimer: I am hopelessly addicted to ginger and mint. Thank you for sharing!

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 7 weeks ago

I need to try this recipe again when I have the proper ingredients. I used Torani almond syrup, and the artificial almond extract flavor is getting in the way. Guess it is time to make my own. Also, I have Regan's orange bitters- I would love to know if they are similar to the Angostura Orange, or if it would be reasonable to have both. But even with the low quality orgeat, I find this strangely addicting.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

You can try my ploy of sub'ing half Campari for the fruit liqueur, or you could try Zach's historic interpretation, although it might require some more purchases. ;)

• Celery Sour   3 years 7 weeks ago

I really like this! Very refreshing. I had to make a couple of substitutions based on what I had: Obsello Absinthe Verte for the Herbsaint, and Bombay Sapphire for the Broker's. I had Bitter Truth Celery Bitters, and used those (is that what you intended?). I would love to know if this gets me in the right neighborhood... I like Fernet and anise flavors in small doses, and for me, this is a really good application. Thank you.

• Elder Monk   3 years 7 weeks ago

I really love this herbal, floral creation, thank you! I tried it with Yellow Chartreuse before I had Benedictine, which was also great. This is on my short list of absolute favorites.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

This is my first time using apricot liqueur (I have the Rothman and Winter). This is a little reminiscent of jolly rancher for me; I hope I can find a more subtle application for this ingredient.

• The Voyager   3 years 7 weeks ago

thanks, sorry I didn't catch more of that when I added the recipe

• The Voyager   3 years 7 weeks ago

thanks, sorry I didn't catch more of that when I added the recipe

• The Asterisk   3 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks for catching that

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

I had tweaked this cocktail with Campari, which I subsequently deleted since it isn't authentic. My tweak was to use Campari for half the fruit liqueur. Also see Zachary's note for what was probably originally intended.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

Since this originated in 1881 in the US, I'd be willing to bet that the gin called for would be Old Tom, which has some sweetness to it. I'd also bet that the "apricot brandy" is meant to be brandy rested on apricot (or peach) pits. Maybe equal parts fairly old Cognac and apricot eau de vie (Blume Marillen) would be an appropriate substitution.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

Has there been a change? I'm not seeing the campari.

• Beuser & Angus Special   3 years 7 weeks ago

Yes, a typo, thanks for catching that.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

And the creator should be correctly attributed to Butters, who is a member here (a.k.a. PB & Foie).

• Lilac Domino   3 years 7 weeks ago

Dan,

If you dissolved pink Peeps in Creme de Violette, you might have Creme Yvette... you will now have nightmares.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 7 weeks ago

Name changed from Hoskins Cocktail (Amer Picon-less version) to The Mexican Hoskins Cocktails.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 7 weeks ago

Actually, I've never tried Creme Yvette because I have a 267-year supply of Creme de Violette to use up first. ;)

• Clermeil   3 years 7 weeks ago

Half Myers's and half Smith & Cross sounds like it would be good. I love (love, love) Smith & Cross, so I'd be happy with all Smith & Cross, but it sure would be resplendent with rum hogo!