• Reply to: Litigious Rock   by   4 years 1 month ago

Interesting drink--I added a dash of Peychaud's and garnished with a thin slice of cucumber .

• Reply to: Pear Dauphine   by   4 years 1 month ago

If this looks sweet but good otherwise, you might try what I did tonight- 1 oz each pear eau de vie and gin (I used Clear Creek and Voyager), .25 each St. Germain and lemon juice, and a bar spoon Clear Creek pear liqueur. Next time, I'll probably take the St. Germain down to a bar spoon, but otherwise I prefer this version as it lets the pear flavor through without getting too cloying.

• Reply to: Metropole   by   4 years 1 month ago

I tried this without the simple (sweetness without flavor just isn't that appealing) and it was a little flat. I added a bar spoon each of Benedictine and Luxardo maraschino liqueur, and liked it a lot more. I used Dandelion and Burdock bitters instead of Peychaud's and orange, and garnished with an orange twist instead of lemon or a cherry.

• Reply to: Armistice   by   4 years 1 month ago

This is a great cocktail if you can't decide if you want a Manhattan or a Final Ward. I anticipated my preferences and modified the proportions a bit, decreasing the liqueurs to 1/8 oz each and increasing the vermouth to 3/4 oz, and I added a lemon twist.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   4 years 1 month ago

Irish-Scots Manhattan variation: Use Irish whiskey (Jameson) and a heavy rinse (small puddle) of Islay Scotch (Lagavulin 16), plus a 3rd dash of Angostura. (Editor's note: posted on behalf of jughead to consolidate Manhattan recipes.)

• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   4 years 1 month ago

This is a fantastic cocktail. What's wonderful is how all the elements shine---it's like a controlled forrest fire where the sap of the pines gives off a scent of sweetness. Extraordinary.

• Reply to: Suze   by   4 years 1 month ago

Huzzah! Suze is finally available Stateside!... I just picked up a bottle at my local liquor mega-store. 1 liter set me back just under $30.

Apparently, this is not the standard Suze, either. What I found is "Suze Saveur d'autrefois" (or "old flavor"). It's 20% ABV, and the label says it "takes its inspiration from the original recipe for Suze".

Tried a little bit straight... Funky-earthy-vegetal on the nose, powerful but delightful bitterness on the sip coupled with, to me, distinct honey and saffron notes (along with the aforementioned funkiness). I can't wait to mix with it!

• Reply to: Cobble Hill   by   4 years 1 month ago

I love meletti, but that would be a very different drink. Can you get cora, vecchio del capo, or bittermen's amere nouvelle? Or maybe ciociaro? Those would all be in the right neighborhood I think...

• Reply to: Carroll Gardens   by   4 years 1 month ago

I really like the punt e mes and nardini together- a spicy and rich cocktail. Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply to: Cobble Hill   by   4 years 1 month ago

Thanks! I had to make it with Meletti, actually, which didn't seem right at all. Glad it works!

• Reply to: Cobble Hill   by   4 years 1 month ago

I'm pretty excited about all of these brooklyn variations- thanks for rounding them up! I started with this one, using imbue bittersweet vermouth in place of dry since it was open, and bulleit rye. Really delicious, and a great use for montenegro- though I'm sure any of the lighter amari would work well if one didn't have it. I wasn't sure about the cucumber slices, but they work well with the herbaceousness of the rye and vermouth.

• Reply to: Bad Word   by   4 years 1 month ago

I love the combination of gran classico and chartreuse- great idea. I like maraschino, but anymore I tend to only want a barspoon or so in a cocktail. I really like this drink and I prefer it to the last word, but I found myself thinking about using rye and lemon instead of gin and lime next time. And then I realized I was only an ingredient away from the balsa airplane, which is still an all-time favorite.

• Reply to: Bad Word   by   4 years 1 month ago

Created for Mixology Monday LXVI, "Green". MxMo is an quasi-monthly on-line cocktail creation event ... sponsored for October 2012 by Ed at Wordsmithing Pantagruel. Ed relaxed the challenge this month: create a cocktail incorporating green in some fashion: the color of an ingredient, a bottle's label, color of your socks while mixing. Almost anything.

The Last Word is certainly worthy of its status as a classic. Made as usual with Maraschino liqueur,  herbal Chartreuse is skewed towards the Maraschino's funkiness. In the Bad Word, it is instead skewed toward the bitter. Gran Classico is a Campari-like amaro, with a bright character and an amber color.

If Gran Classico is unavailable, substitute Campari, but the lovely yellow-green color will be lost. This is certainly one of my more successful uses of amari to elevate already great cocktails to the sublime. If you like that sort of thing.

• Reply to: Figgy Martin   by   4 years 2 months ago

Can you share the recipe for the fig syrup? I can add it to the notes.

Zachary

• Reply to: Royal Thorn   by   4 years 2 months ago

Curated this a bit - First, the Imbue things are tricky - they don't fall into categories very well. I moved Petal and Thorn into the ingredient box. I also removed the note from the sparkling wine (which for the most part was redundant). Finally, we're going to guess that 2 ounces of sparkling wine would almost fill the cocktail glass - it's better than having people who have very different sized glasses guess how much to float.

Zachary

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   4 years 2 months ago

The amount of Aperol and Cocchi Americano should have been 1 Tablespoon each, not 1 ounce. This could be two drinks or one long one.

• Reply to: The Deliverance   by   4 years 2 months ago

Can you tell us how you're infusing the cedar?

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   4 years 2 months ago

This isn't by chance 2 drinks, is it? If it's one, that's like a 7 1/2 ounce drink.

Zachary

• Reply to: The Scarecrow   by   4 years 2 months ago

Thanks!!

• Reply to: I Insist   by   4 years 2 months ago

Is the ratio on the infusion 750 ml mezcal to 1 medium cantaloupe?

• Reply to: Contest now over. 7 copies of Bitter Drink by F. G. Haghenbeck were won!   by   4 years 2 months ago
  • Reply to: MacKinnon   by   4 years 2 months ago

Thanks Dan, honestly, I don't remember where I first read this recipe that cited Michael Bowers to it.....I am usually careful before naming the creator. My apologies Michael.

• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   4 years 2 months ago

Read the comment too late to adjust tonight's cocktail. Yes, was too much pineapple. Simple probably not needed if pineapple isn't too tart.

• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   4 years 2 months ago

I think that this is plenty sweet without the simple, and I agree that there's too much pineapple in it. It might be interesting with much more lime, more Campari, and Smith & Cross.

Zachary

• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   4 years 2 months ago

I love this drink, but prefer it with 1 1/2 oz pineapple juice. Really nice with Smith&Cross as well. Sam Ross has a version with Blackstrap, but unfortunately that is not available here.