• Reply to: Queen's Park Swizzle   by   4 years 1 month ago

Fine drink but I increased the lime juice to 1 oz and rich simple syrup to 3/4 oz. I often find that 1/2 oz of lime is too little when calling for 2 oz or more of spirit. Of course, this is a matter of preference much like in a Daiquri where some recipes call for around 1/2 oz of lime. A tastey swizzle.

• Reply to: Queen's Park Swizzle   by   4 years 2 months ago

I had a version of this from Mindy Kucan that was as follows: Crush 1 sugar cube in the bottom of a Collins glass. Add 15-20 leaves of mint and press lightly. Add 2 oz. Matusalem Platino, 1 oz lime juice and 3/4 oz Demerara syrup. Stir, then fill the glass with crushed ice. Swizzle and top with 6-8 dashes of Angostura bitters.

• Reply to: A Long Day   by   4 years 2 months ago

My sweet vermouth of choice is Cocchi. Dolin could be nice, too! Carpano Antica might add a bit too much bitterness to an already bitter drink.

• Reply to: A Long Day   by   4 years 2 months ago

Stew,

Love the thought of anejo tequila + Cynar playing together. What sweet vermouth do you recommend? Dolin might be nice...

• Reply to: Walking Spanish   by   4 years 2 months ago

Orgeat (1/4 oz is enough) in place of the St. Germain is a really nice sub in this drink

• Reply to: Jean Genie   by   4 years 2 months ago

Moderated slightly - we're assuming "top" means around 3 ounces in a single rocks glass.

• Reply to: New York Sour (Cognac)   by   4 years 2 months ago

Thanks to an observant user, we've noticed that David Wondrich in Imbibe has research this cocktail as being rye, not cognac, based. Accordingly I've changed the title and will add the original New York Sour as a distinct recipe. I've also removed the copyrighted image as I believe it was posted without permission and shrunk the instructions to conform to our style guidelines. Thanks for the submission.

• Reply to: 1022 Martini   by   4 years 2 months ago

How did you like it?
    Together with a local distiller, we're working on an Eau-de-vie of Spruce Buds, as soon as I have my bottle of Douglas Fir, I'll report back with the comparison ;)

• Reply to: Garden Fizz   by   4 years 2 months ago

Not too sure about this one, not at single person at my party liked it and it took me a couple minutes to put it together. Not my favorite

• Reply to: Gomme Syrup   by   4 years 2 months ago

How long does it last? Does it need to be refrigerated?

• Reply to: Bison Drop   by   4 years 2 months ago

It's a nice-sounding drink...not having a lemon handy, and the time or energy to make infused honey syrup, I substituted a half-oz of Limoncello (Pallini) and squeezed a wedge of lime for a bit of tartness. Worked pretty well, when I added another wedge (1/4 lime total) and another oz. of Zubrowka, it got even better. Served it in a chilled cocktail glass.

Went out and bought lemons, will make the honey syrup tonight and try out the original recipe...I'm doing the research for my mom's 80th birthday celebration cocktail (Zubrowka is her favorite "hard" liquor), and this appears to be a winner. Plus, it has St. Germain (my elderflower liqueur of choice)...how could it not be good?

• Reply to: Fort Point   by   4 years 2 months ago

Another Fort Point - and both with a rye base! How awkward, this is like the case of the multiple Autumn Sweaters...

• Reply to: The Duck Hunter   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'm not 100% sure where this cocktail was first made, but the earliest mention I can find on the internet is from Toby Maloney on eGullet: http://egullet.org/p1698334

I've been able to make something similar without Sweet Lucy by upping the bourbon to 1.25 ounces (I used Bulleit), using 3/4 ounce of an orange liqueur (Torres or Marie Brizard), and adding about 2-3 dashes of Fee's Peach bitters. It's definitely an imperfect substitute since there's brandy involved, but if I suddenly have a spare egg yolk it's what I make when I don't have Sweet Lucy.

• Reply to: Vancouver   by   4 years 2 months ago

Quite like this. I used Beefeater and Martini bianco. I wonder if Tanqueray would punch a bit harder against the Benedictine.

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   4 years 3 months ago

I haven't had Suze, but I'm enjoying it. Mixed it with gin and lemon tonight for a nice bitter-tinged cocktail.

• Reply to: Negroni (Aperol Variant)   by   4 years 3 months ago

My absolute favorite is the Unusual Negroni.

• Reply to: Caipirinha Pasión   by   4 years 3 months ago

I used Pitu, its a nice not too funky cachaca...cut back on the lime a bit, as I wanted it to be a tart undercurrent and not up front. Instead of Passion Fruit syrup I used Goya frozen passionfruit pulp and a 1/2 shot of simple syrup per drink. Tried it with Bittercube Bolivar bitters, not sure with all the other flavors if that made much of a difference.

I love this site...it could inspire me to drink Eight Days a Week, as the Beatles once sang...

• Reply to: Frézier   by   4 years 3 months ago

This is really good; funky, fruity, a little floral, not too sweet. I love this combination of spirits, and never would have thought to put them together on my own. I muddled a little fresh strawberry in place of the infusion. One of my favorite Pisco cocktails so far- thanks!

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   4 years 3 months ago

Is the salers worth getting? I saw Frederick said it was better than Suze, but I haven't had that yet so I'm unclear...

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   4 years 3 months ago

Make this with Hayman's Royal Dock Navy-strength Gin, Cocchi Americano, and Salers Aperitif Gentiane Liqueur in lieu of Suze. Quite nice, although a bit sweet, and much less bitter than a regular Negroni. I would reverse the Lillet / Suze ratio next time for a somewhat drier and more bitter balance, or consider splitting the Cocchi Americano with dry vermouth.

• Reply to: Two Blushing Pilgrims   by   4 years 3 months ago

Minor edit: changed Lillet Rose to a brand of Aromatized wine.

• Reply to: Summer Strychnine   by   4 years 3 months ago

What color Chartreuse do you prefer here?

• Reply to: Grapefruit Flower   by   4 years 3 months ago

Thanks Dan

• Reply to: Grapefruit Flower   by   4 years 3 months ago

Moderated slightly to change units to volume. Originally specified as 1/2 part (and I think you meant 1/2 each) lime. Limes are generally about 1 oz. Similarly I change 1/2 "part" grapefruit to 3 ounces, since a whole grapefruit yields about 6 oz of juice.

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   4 years 3 months ago

Made it with cynar substituting for the campari and got a seriously good drink. I used Berkeley Square as the gin, which is quite herbal, so between that and the cynar this probably ended up significantly more herbal than the original recipe intends but it worked really well.