• The Riviera   3 years 10 weeks ago

Updated notes to suggest reducing or omitting the simple and the suggestion to flip the Campari and Maraschino. This is one of those "interesting" recipes where the modified inauthentic recipe is probably better than the original for most peoples' taste.

• Plain shrub   3 years 10 weeks ago

Rob,

As you're the KC King of Shrubs, your advice, and any tips on hot vs cold methodology is greatly appreciated.

• Plain shrub   3 years 10 weeks ago

Dan, this is exactly my technique for making plain shrub, or shrub base. With enough shaking or stirring the demarara will dissolve into the vinegar(s) to make a fine juice extraction medium, or as in Ye Olde Quencher an interesting additive in itself. Using this in a week's extraction from chosen fruit in a sealed jar with ambient temp produces good results. Neyah White in San Francisco is my mentor re 'cold' macerated shrub, which method prevents a 'cooked' or caramelized taste from being part of the product.

The rice/cider vinegar combo works for me in most tries, but obviously can be changed up by the maker to suit individual taste. Playing with the vinegar(s) will produce nice variants with particular fruits.

• The Riviera   3 years 10 weeks ago

Drinking this now, with flipped Campari & Maraschino ratios, as suggested by Dan, and without the eggwhite. This smells nice due to the mint and orange bitters, and is pleasant enough, but I think it's a bit sweet, and not quite bitter enough to effect compexity in the drink. A pleasant harmony does arise from the pineapple, Campari and Maraschino, but I'd drop the simple to 1/2 oz or even 1/4, and I might either up the Campari in the drink (not the mix) or add more mint and muddle it first.

So here's the way I figure it. The infusion has a bit more than 1/2 oz of Maraschino in the 2 oz used, and coupled with 3/4 oz of simple, it's really sweet. If you count Maraschino effective as sweet as simple, 1/4 oz simple with the infusion gives you an equal parts sour.

• Buah Arak   3 years 11 weeks ago

Not sure how that lambanog will taste, actually. I've heard that Pinoys flavor lambanog with bubble gum flavoring and such, so I'll have to hunt down the real deal when I get there in November. Last trip there I tried the local rum Tanduay, and the gold stuff is passable in an Old Fashioned variant with calamansi and simple syrup.
    I'm thinking of a toddy (or more properly a skin) with batavia arrack...something with arrack, hot water, lemon peel and spiced butter. That will probably be your "Hot Buttered Stripper Pole" =) Stay tuned.

• Buah Arak   3 years 11 weeks ago

Rob,

Check out the 17th Century cocktail, which I made to get over my fear of Batavia Arrack. I bet that lambanog smells like suntan oil!

• Buah Arak   3 years 11 weeks ago

Depending on one's taste and mood, buttered stripper pole might be fun! You know Zach, one of these days I'm gonna make a batavia arrack cocktail called "Buttered Stripper Pole" just for you!
    Speaking of arrack, I hope to try its Pinoy relative lambanog in the Philippines later this year.

• Flowering Fields   3 years 11 weeks ago

Second go round - I updated the rye to Bulleit - it has a strong, piney/minty greenness that works with this cocktail. This smells rather cute and tropical. The lime and pineapple dominates. On the palate, though, this is fairly firm, with definite notes of the rye, mint, and licorice on a sweet-and-sour frame. The finish is where this shines, with the absinthe and Chartreuse working in harmony to develop minty-spicy flavors that linger.

• Torres del Paine   3 years 11 weeks ago

Dan, this looks lovely, I love the backstory as well. I was quite surprised by the Chilean Capel pisco, enjoy playing with it, and I'm glad you featured it for MixMo. And the choice of amari is lovely as well - I'm off to Cirace in the North End this weekend to get the Gran Classico! This drink will whet my appetite for complex bitter in a sipper.

• Combier Rouge   3 years 11 weeks ago

Quick question though... did you comment in the article page or hit the button for moderation? I'm trying to figure out how it works ;)

• Combier Rouge   3 years 11 weeks ago

yes, the ingredient list on the bottle reads cherry infusion, sugar, alcohol, elderberry juice. I have read in multiple places that there was no added sugar. I don't even care. It's delicious. the new maurin le puy and combier rouge are making me happy!

• Combier Rouge   3 years 11 weeks ago

I think I found the 'no sugar added' from Drinkhacker. Is there an actual ingredient list on the back of the bottle?

• Combier Rouge   3 years 11 weeks ago

I just purchased a bottle of this cherry liqueur and I can say that it is absolutely delicious. That being said, the ingredient list includes sugar. I keep reading (online sources) that there is no added sugar and that it is sweetened from the cherries themselves. Obviously the ingredient list on the bottle wouldn't lie. But really who gives a shit as it is a welcome addition to my liquor collection.

• Torres del Paine   3 years 11 weeks ago

Mixology Monday is a global cocktail smack-down, where bloggers and other writers are encouraged to create a cocktail around a common theme. For June, 2011, Adventures in Cocktails (www.adventuresincocktails.com) is hosting MxMo LVIII, challenging us to create a cocktail using an uncommon base spirit. Bourbon, gin, tequila, rum, and the like -- nope. Reaching deeper into the cabinet I find a neglected bottle of Pisco. That'll work.

I was first introduced to Pisco during a family trip to Patagonia -- hiking, rafting, and sea travel. The sea leg of the trip featured a "motor yacht." That's Chilean for fishing boat. Our Captain taught us the essential toast to Jacquot-- the spirit of safe passage. Standing on the bobbing deck, we held small glasses of Pisco to the sky, spilled a bit for Jacquot, and swallowed the remainder. Facing the bitter sea spray, the fierce Chilean brandy generated a warm ember in our cold bodies. Heartburn, no doubt. The rite worked, as we arrived safe and, but for our queasy stomachs, sound.

Years passed before Pisco became readily available in the US. Whether through a rise in quality or ebb in memory, the brandy is much smoother than my first experience, with a lovely fruit and depth. As a lover of all things bitter, I thought to combine the newly-available Gran Classico's vibrant flavors with Cynar's dark savory flavors -- a contract in bitter. The lemon provides acid to moderate the bitter and tame the sweet. Muddle the citrus peels for a bit more bitter depth and interest.

This is a slow sipping cocktail for lovers of amari. Think of the beautiful towers in Torres del Paine National Park, of adventure shared with family, and of Jacquot, stealing Pisco from every passing vessel.

• Mother's Ruin Punch   3 years 11 weeks ago

Updated the yield to 12 (small) drinks. This makes the units come out fairly even for making 1 or a few drinks.

• Village Green   3 years 12 weeks ago

Nice use of oregano in a drink!

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 12 weeks ago

Updated with the corrected authentic recipe. The previous recipe was guesswork and had too much lemon, not enough orgeat, not enough orange bitters, and included club soda. The drink should be built and swizzled to create dilution. I do think a bit of seltzer was nice, but I shook the drink to prevent excess dilution from melting.

• French 75   3 years 13 weeks ago

Interesting. Among my friends, I call the Cognac version a French French 75. I made these for a friend's 50's birthday party, which was catered. Big hit. It is one of those cocktails that appeals to a wide variety of imbibers.

• French 75   3 years 13 weeks ago

I've always been told that if it's gin, it's an English 75, and that Cognac is the way to go here.

• French 75   3 years 13 weeks ago

I prefer this with cognac. It is a very good, classic cocktail. The Elderflower version (French 77) is a nice variation, particularly if you haven't been overexposed to St Germain.

• French 75   3 years 13 weeks ago

For brunch survival purposes I go with 1 oz gin instead of 2. Also I go more toward cava or prosecco. I haven't taken up Todd Maul's suggestion that this apéro requires cognac rather than gin - with the lemon/bubbly combo I'd think that gin would be a no-brainer.

• Gilroy Cocktail (Rum variation)   3 years 13 weeks ago

Sub'd left over rye/cherry juice / spices liquid used for making cocktail cherries for the Cherry Heering. Too strongly spiced. Added 1 oz of Zucca. Yummy.

• The Riviera   3 years 13 weeks ago

Fresh pineapple on hand. Time for another batch of pineapple-infused Gin + Campari + Maraschino. I just recently discovered that the authentic recipe uses simple syrup and an egg white. This sounds too sweet to me, as I usually omit both and use 2-1/2 oz of the mixture. I also swap the Maraschino and Campari for a more bitter drink.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 13 weeks ago

Dan, frankly I'm glad you incorporated the Campari - as you know I have a bitter bell that loves to be rung, even better when it's bitter with fruits. It's a good thing that this is a gin cocktail, the botanicals with lime keep the drink in these specs from being cloying in any way. Next time I might add a touch more R&W!

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 13 weeks ago

Rob, I fear that the recipe when you made this was tinkered by me. The original from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is 2 gin, 1 apricot or peach brandy, 2-3 dashes Peychaud's, and 3/4oz lime juice. The Campari addition was mine and I have no idea why the lime was halved.