• Combier Rouge   3 years 9 weeks ago

Quick question though... did you comment in the article page or hit the button for moderation? I'm trying to figure out how it works ;)

• Combier Rouge   3 years 9 weeks ago

yes, the ingredient list on the bottle reads cherry infusion, sugar, alcohol, elderberry juice. I have read in multiple places that there was no added sugar. I don't even care. It's delicious. the new maurin le puy and combier rouge are making me happy!

• Combier Rouge   3 years 9 weeks ago

I think I found the 'no sugar added' from Drinkhacker. Is there an actual ingredient list on the back of the bottle?

• Combier Rouge   3 years 9 weeks ago

I just purchased a bottle of this cherry liqueur and I can say that it is absolutely delicious. That being said, the ingredient list includes sugar. I keep reading (online sources) that there is no added sugar and that it is sweetened from the cherries themselves. Obviously the ingredient list on the bottle wouldn't lie. But really who gives a shit as it is a welcome addition to my liquor collection.

• Torres del Paine   3 years 9 weeks ago

Mixology Monday is a global cocktail smack-down, where bloggers and other writers are encouraged to create a cocktail around a common theme. For June, 2011, Adventures in Cocktails (www.adventuresincocktails.com) is hosting MxMo LVIII, challenging us to create a cocktail using an uncommon base spirit. Bourbon, gin, tequila, rum, and the like -- nope. Reaching deeper into the cabinet I find a neglected bottle of Pisco. That'll work.

I was first introduced to Pisco during a family trip to Patagonia -- hiking, rafting, and sea travel. The sea leg of the trip featured a "motor yacht." That's Chilean for fishing boat. Our Captain taught us the essential toast to Jacquot-- the spirit of safe passage. Standing on the bobbing deck, we held small glasses of Pisco to the sky, spilled a bit for Jacquot, and swallowed the remainder. Facing the bitter sea spray, the fierce Chilean brandy generated a warm ember in our cold bodies. Heartburn, no doubt. The rite worked, as we arrived safe and, but for our queasy stomachs, sound.

Years passed before Pisco became readily available in the US. Whether through a rise in quality or ebb in memory, the brandy is much smoother than my first experience, with a lovely fruit and depth. As a lover of all things bitter, I thought to combine the newly-available Gran Classico's vibrant flavors with Cynar's dark savory flavors -- a contract in bitter. The lemon provides acid to moderate the bitter and tame the sweet. Muddle the citrus peels for a bit more bitter depth and interest.

This is a slow sipping cocktail for lovers of amari. Think of the beautiful towers in Torres del Paine National Park, of adventure shared with family, and of Jacquot, stealing Pisco from every passing vessel.

• Mother's Ruin Punch   3 years 9 weeks ago

Updated the yield to 12 (small) drinks. This makes the units come out fairly even for making 1 or a few drinks.

• Village Green   3 years 10 weeks ago

Nice use of oregano in a drink!

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 10 weeks ago

Updated with the corrected authentic recipe. The previous recipe was guesswork and had too much lemon, not enough orgeat, not enough orange bitters, and included club soda. The drink should be built and swizzled to create dilution. I do think a bit of seltzer was nice, but I shook the drink to prevent excess dilution from melting.

• French 75   3 years 11 weeks ago

Interesting. Among my friends, I call the Cognac version a French French 75. I made these for a friend's 50's birthday party, which was catered. Big hit. It is one of those cocktails that appeals to a wide variety of imbibers.

• French 75   3 years 11 weeks ago

I've always been told that if it's gin, it's an English 75, and that Cognac is the way to go here.

• French 75   3 years 11 weeks ago

I prefer this with cognac. It is a very good, classic cocktail. The Elderflower version (French 77) is a nice variation, particularly if you haven't been overexposed to St Germain.

• French 75   3 years 11 weeks ago

For brunch survival purposes I go with 1 oz gin instead of 2. Also I go more toward cava or prosecco. I haven't taken up Todd Maul's suggestion that this apéro requires cognac rather than gin - with the lemon/bubbly combo I'd think that gin would be a no-brainer.

• Gilroy Cocktail (Rum variation)   3 years 11 weeks ago

Sub'd left over rye/cherry juice / spices liquid used for making cocktail cherries for the Cherry Heering. Too strongly spiced. Added 1 oz of Zucca. Yummy.

• The Riviera   3 years 11 weeks ago

Fresh pineapple on hand. Time for another batch of pineapple-infused Gin + Campari + Maraschino. I just recently discovered that the authentic recipe uses simple syrup and an egg white. This sounds too sweet to me, as I usually omit both and use 2-1/2 oz of the mixture. I also swap the Maraschino and Campari for a more bitter drink.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 11 weeks ago

Dan, frankly I'm glad you incorporated the Campari - as you know I have a bitter bell that loves to be rung, even better when it's bitter with fruits. It's a good thing that this is a gin cocktail, the botanicals with lime keep the drink in these specs from being cloying in any way. Next time I might add a touch more R&W!

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 11 weeks ago

Rob, I fear that the recipe when you made this was tinkered by me. The original from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is 2 gin, 1 apricot or peach brandy, 2-3 dashes Peychaud's, and 3/4oz lime juice. The Campari addition was mine and I have no idea why the lime was halved.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 11 weeks ago

Made this tonight, with Rothman & Winter apricot liqueur, 1/2 oz of lime juice and a double dose of cranberry bitters (because I'm out of Peychaud right now). Tasted balanced to me, not too sweet at all, and I think using the R&W and upping the lime juice helped. As the French say, Chacun à son gout (Each to his own gout, heh). Girlie drink? Nah!

• Nomayo   3 years 11 weeks ago

Sounds tasty. I improved the reference and made the float, garnish, and instructions match the St Germain website's recipe a bit closer.

• Daisy If You Do   3 years 11 weeks ago

Subbed out a few things - got good results: used B&B rather than Benedictine and Agave. Swapped the Whiskey Bitters for Grapefruit bitters, and used Averna as the amaro of choice. Sipping delight.

• Nomayo   3 years 11 weeks ago

Nice balance. Use Hendricks for a less ginny taste. And a sweeter sparkling wine.

• Thanksgiving Apéro   3 years 11 weeks ago

Lillet asked for a photo, so I obliged.

• Son of a Preacher Man   3 years 11 weeks ago

The Pernod rinse might overpower the nose a bit on this one, but over nice balance and good flavor.

• 17th Century Cocktail   3 years 12 weeks ago

So weirdly enough, this works. It definitely gets enough orange into the drink, and the Manzanilla + Arrack give almost a smoky, Mezcal accord. This is definitely dry, but interesting.

• Thanksgiving Apéro   3 years 12 weeks ago

Dan, thanks for the nice picture! As for the prosecco in the shot the Mionetto secco was a great call, just what I used last Thanksgiving!

• Diamondback (Green)   3 years 12 weeks ago

I merged the Green Rose posted by Kenny into this recipe. The only difference is that Kenny's Green Rose calls for 1/2 oz of Green Chartreuse, rather than 3/4 oz. If this difference is meaningful to you, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry. It's my hope that keeping the recipes in Kindred Cocktail distinct helps you find good recipes that are interesting to you.