• Beuser & Angus Special   3 years 5 weeks ago

Yes, a typo, thanks for catching that.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

And the creator should be correctly attributed to Butters, who is a member here (a.k.a. PB & Foie).

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

Dan,

If you dissolved pink Peeps in Creme de Violette, you might have Creme Yvette... you will now have nightmares.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

Name changed from Hoskins Cocktail (Amer Picon-less version) to The Mexican Hoskins Cocktails.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

Actually, I've never tried Creme Yvette because I have a 267-year supply of Creme de Violette to use up first. ;)

• Clermeil   3 years 6 weeks ago

Half Myers's and half Smith & Cross sounds like it would be good. I love (love, love) Smith & Cross, so I'd be happy with all Smith & Cross, but it sure would be resplendent with rum hogo!

• Beuser & Angus Special   3 years 6 weeks ago

I removed 1 3/4oz of Yellow Chartreuse, which doesn't appear in the original cocktail and I suspect was a typo. If this was intended, then you might indicate it in the Your Comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• The Voyager   3 years 6 weeks ago

Added attribution, garnish, history, and instructions. Changed rum ingredient to "gold rum"

• The Asterisk   3 years 6 weeks ago

Fixed the missing Chartreuse quantity and added the attribution.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

You know who would really like this? Dan. He loves Creme Yvette... the more the better.

• Hancock   3 years 6 weeks ago

Are the cucumber and rosewater mentioned in the notes part of the flavor profile of the drink, or should they be in the ingredients?

• Clermeil   3 years 6 weeks ago

I had Meyer's, Smith and Cross, and regular old Bacardi on hand. I went with the Smith & Cross and I don't know if 1.5 oz of this rum was the best choice for this cocktail. Next time I'll try a more neutral, lower proofed rum or some of each.

• Flor Delice   3 years 6 weeks ago

sounded good, but too dry and boozy for me. I will keep trying these ingredients in different proportions

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

As the creator of the Hoskins cocktail, may I suggest that if you're going to change the base spirit and the primary modifier you might as well rename it and make it your own. :) Looks good -- I'll give it a try.

• Arrack Attack   3 years 6 weeks ago

I enjoyed this drink very much, after adding an extra splash of Canton.

• Vesper   3 years 6 weeks ago

Right you are. Fixed.

• Vesper   3 years 6 weeks ago

I would think that Cocchi Americano would be a much better substitution for the (not made anymore) Kina Lillet. Bonal is very sweet vermouth meets Oloroso Sherry, and not only would you lose the color of the drink, but the flavors might be too heavy.

• Vesper   3 years 6 weeks ago

I like to use a 1:1:1 ratio

• Clermeil   3 years 6 weeks ago

perfectly balanced- love the allspice dram and chartreuse combo. I used the low end maple syrup measure and it was plenty.

• In a Pickle   3 years 6 weeks ago

Delicious, thanks. I love the st germain/falernum combo in the ninth ward, so this was a must try. I used Hendrick's and velvet falernum. 5/5

• Water Lily   3 years 6 weeks ago

too sweet as written

• Bitter Elder   3 years 6 weeks ago

I like it with half aperol, half campari; with this change it is 5/5 stars for me

• Perfect Summit Manhattan   3 years 6 weeks ago

I'm wondering which Chambers Muscat this cocktail calls for - the Rutherglen would be the most likely choice, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

• Gunshop Fizz   3 years 7 weeks ago

I've made this drink both ways, and it's actually a pretty different drink with the sanbitter, which has less bitterness up front and more of a kind of weird bubblegum taste.

However, I agree with your basic assessment - this is a must try drink, but once you've had it I don't know how many times you'll go back to it. There are probably 10-15 drinks in Rogue and/or Beta that I would pick over this one for my go to drink.

Also, while I generally love drinks with a ton of bitters, I'm a bit wary of drinking 2 whole ounces of peychaud's at once, as it kind of seems like the most processed (i.e. least potable) of the major bitters.

• Golden Gate Swizzle   3 years 7 weeks ago

This is a fabulous drink, and a great introduction to Fernet. I removed club soda, which is not in the authentic recipe. If one desires club soda, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.