• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   4 years 2 months ago

I adjusted the pineapple juice down to 2 oz and got rid of the simple syrup (my pineapple juice is sweet enough as is). With that mix there is a fine balance between the Campari, the lime juice, and the rum. I have also sucessfully substituted Lemon Hart 151 for the Blackstrap. (You need a strong flavored rum for a good balance). Wray & Nephew and Cruzan 151 are not optimal choices for this drink.

• Reply to: Jardin Féerique   by   4 years 2 months ago

Since the recipe has very specific ingredients, I have tried variations to see if the recipe can 'opened' up. I have tried both Ransom Old Tom and
    Plymouth for the gin; they both work but the Death's Door gives you a better flavor. With the tonic water, I have tried brands with and without corn syrup sweetener. It turns out, the corn syrup sweetener works better.

• Reply to: Basin Street Blues   by   4 years 2 months ago

Curated slightly - Kindred Cocktails assumes you're using fresh juices, etc...

• Reply to: The Grasshopper Lies Heavy   by   4 years 2 months ago

Made it without the soda. A lovely Friday nightcap! Nice treat, thanks

• Reply to: Czech it at the Door   by   4 years 2 months ago

Finally tried this one. Yup, delicious...Made it "Dan's way," except I split the difference on the syrup at around 1/3 oz. Used the new Dickel Rye, which worked great... First drink I've tried using a "tiny" amount of Fernet where the flavors mingled so perfectly that if I didn't <em>know</em> it was there, I might not have guessed it.

• Reply to: Czech it at the Door   by   4 years 2 months ago

Nice. Good call re Regan's bitters . Used Rittenhouse Rye, which stands up well. Thanks!

• Reply to: The Crafty and Elusive Elk   by   4 years 2 months ago

Just made this with all Del Maguey mezcal, and even at that the maraschino tamed the smoke nicely and that maraschino funk came through. This is a noble sippah.

• Reply to: Ramona Flowers   by   4 years 2 months ago

Made with Templeton Rye and Rothman & Winter Creme De Violette. Subbed lemon for lime juice, and added 1dsh Miracle Mile Yuzu Bitters. Really enjoying this a lot. Going to try 2oz rye next time. A cocktail I will definitely make again. Love the Scott Pilgrim reference too.

• Reply to: Bad Reputation   by   4 years 2 months ago

Sara-nice job; like the flavors. I ended up adding a bar spoon of rich simple syrup which helped soften the drink. I also tried it with 1 3/4 bourbon and 1 grapefruit which was nice. Also, only 1 dash of Whiskey Barrel for me; it's pretty potent stuff. Thanks for adding it.

• Reply to: A Well Earned Reprieve   by   4 years 2 months ago

Good catch, fixed. I know that some people put garnishes in instructions and some put them in the body of the drink marked "as garnish". I tend to prefer putting them in the ingredient list.

• Reply to: A Well Earned Reprieve   by   4 years 2 months ago

It seems like Angostura and egg white are in this drink, but neither make the ingredient list. Am I missing something?

• Reply to: the Fitty Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I was reluctant to try this because 1/2 oz of ginger liqueur scared me a bit, but I decided to go for it as I love the other 3 ingredients. I really enjoyed this very herbaceous, bitter and somewhat spicy cocktail, however it needs a better name. Unless you have an extreme sentimental attachment to the name (and listening to music while making it doesn't count), I propose the name Gasparro, named after the designer of the Kennedy half dollar.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   4 years 2 months ago

More sour/less sweet than I expected. Planning to try with less lemon juice, maybe some simple syrup.

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I think the Sweet & Floral entries, as well as the Flyboy could/should definitely be folded into this one. Is the Aviatrix on the chopping block? I think the proportions and flavor profile are just different enough to warrant its own entry. I'm on the fence about the Aggravation, mostly because its name & history make me chuckle every time I see it. :)

• Reply to: R & B   by   4 years 2 months ago

Hmmm, It won't take it in the Ingredient field, Aromatic Bitters is in brackets so that means it is a forced Brand choice? The Brand field only has Scrappy's other versions. So i am adding that Brand rather than notes.

• Reply to: R & B   by   4 years 2 months ago

Doh, yes, Aromatic. I had that in there then corrected a typo in the name and I think the field(s)(') logic flipped it to drop the Aromatic which I failed to catch. Correcting now, thanks for the heads up.

• Reply to: R & B   by   4 years 2 months ago

I might guess this is Scrappy's Aromatic, or maybe chocolate?

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'm going to clean up this cocktail and its five variations tonight. If you think one of them is worth saving - other than the Aviation Cocktail #1, which I think we should rename Aviation (Jacques Straub), please let me know.

Zachary

• Reply to: Aviation #1   by   4 years 2 months ago

I'm thinking this might be the Aviation Cocktail in Jacques Straub's 1914 "Drinks". If it is, it's 1 1/8 oz Applejack (3/4 jigger), 3/4 lime (1/2 jigger), dash Absinthe, barspoon grenadine... which seems very close to this. If you'd like, I can change the drink, but I'll at least cite the author and book now.

• Reply to: Scofflaw   by   4 years 2 months ago

Just tried this last night and really loved it. The light spices of the dry vermouth play off the other ingredients in wonderful ways. I made it with Rittenhouse 100 which seemed to have the perfect heft to set off the other ingredients but also made the drink pretty kick-ass strong. I think this will be in my regular rotation for a while.

• Reply to: The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   by   4 years 2 months ago

It's good, but has an insane amount of maraschino. I'd like to try it again but with the original Hoskins level of 1/2 oz.

• Reply to: Little Italy   by   4 years 2 months ago

Added missing Maraschino syrup, and tweaked up attribution.

• Reply to: Stop Signal   by   4 years 2 months ago

I was initially afraid of all that lemon juice but my fears were unfounded, turns out. Very nice and well-balanced. I decided to forgo the layering nonsense and opted to shake and strain.

• Reply to: Negroni (Aperol Variant)   by   4 years 2 months ago

I know this variant (substituting Aperol for Campari) as a Contessa.

• Reply to: The Half Windsor   by   4 years 2 months ago

I made this up with a laphroaig rinse, 1.5 oz cocchi, 1 oz cognac, and 1/2 oz grapefruit. A different drink, but really delicious.