• Reply to: Georgita   by   4 years 2 months ago

Yum yum. Hitting the spot after a run.

• Reply to: Walking Spanish   by   4 years 2 months ago

I second the orgeat suggestion. Very tasty! To be fair, I haven't tried it with St. Germain yet, but I will!

• Reply to: Vienna in Ashes   by   4 years 2 months ago

love it.

• Reply to: Portland Pick Me Up   by   4 years 2 months ago

1/2 oz Acid phosphate?! I'm puckered.

• Reply to: Tequila Amargo   by   4 years 2 months ago

Oustanding. Super-tasty, unique. Reposado never went down so smoothly.

• Reply to: Big Apple   by   4 years 2 months ago

I have a bottle of Perucchi (blanc) but I've not yet opened it as I had to go to some effort to find it- glad to hear it's good. Now I need to check out Lacuesta; haven't heard of it before, but I love sherry so I bet I'd like it. Hopefully it isn't too hard to source.

• Reply to: Paper Jetplane   by   4 years 2 months ago

Liked.
    Did Woodford Reserve and Amaro Averna. I might reduce the simple sugar a bit next time. The Averna is on the sweet side already.

• Reply to: Worth The Wait   by   4 years 2 months ago

Curated slightly - moved spiced from the ingredient field to the comment field. Can you share the recipe for the simple syrup?

• Reply to: Benton's Old Fashioned   by   4 years 2 months ago

Moderated slightly to add instructions and to conform to PDT cocktail book, which specifies Four Roses, rather than the poster's Woodruff Reserve. Any bourbon would do, I'm sure.

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

Picked up some Cara Caras today, so I had to try this again... Wow! Almost a completely different drink. The citrus has a completely different character, and is much more grapefruit-like, reminding me of the Jasmine. The Fernet stays a little more in the background too... I'm honestly not sure which I like more (though the blood orange version had a much more pleasing color). Fortunately, it's not a very boozy drink, so I suppose I'll have to make 1 or 2 more each way to decide. ;)

• Reply to: Big Apple   by   4 years 2 months ago

I came across this tonight and think it's outstanding. For the vermouth I used Perucchi (Spanish vermouth) and it smoothed out the Laird's nicely. Speaking of Spanish vermouth, the Lacuesta rojo is so sherry-like I could leave out the amontillado!

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

Well, by my math, the pre-diluted spirits already add up to 1 1/4 oz (1/2 + 1/2 + 1/4), so that's why I interpreted it as 1 ounce of dilution. He said "dilute TO 1 ounce," but what he probably meant was "dilute BY 1 ounce." The omission of the non-alcoholic ingredients is rather puzzling, though... But unless told to do something specific with an ingredient (float, rinse, etc.), I tend to assume it all goes into the mixing glass.

I made 2 of these last night (couldn't let that other half orange go to waste!) and found it truly fascinating. The blood orange and lemon combine nicely, and the 3 amari play so well together that I couldn't pick any of them out until the finish, when the Fernet finally peeked out to say hello ('cause, y'know, it's Fernet).

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

What's weird to me is that they're so specific calling for the 3/4 oz (!?) of spirits to be diluted to 1 oz. What are you supposed to do with the juices and simple, put them in a glass and dump it down the sink?

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

Yeah, I suppose I didn't read it that closely before pasting it in... I assume he meant "liquids" rather than "spirits," and I'm guessing he meant "adding 1 ounce of dilution". The original source for The Getaway had a similar (odd) dilution instruction... I've tweaked the instructions to be more clear.

• Reply to: Maharaja's Revenge   by   4 years 2 months ago

Old Monk is almost always at Martignetti's and Liquor World in Porter.

I think mezcal would work, but it doesn't have the same vanilla notes that Old Monk has, so it would probably need another ingredient to mellow out the bite.

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

Hmm.... an interesting drink here. Two questions: (1) Can you paraphrase the instruction in your own words please? (2) I'm wondering why the source says "shake the (3/4 oz) spirits with ice to make 1 oz", then neglects to tell you what to do with the juice and simple.

• Reply to: Three Bitters   by   4 years 2 months ago

I found this drink linked to the same article as The Getaway and was excited to try it, because I thought I had Cara Cara oranges. But when I sliced one open, I was quickly reminded that I'd sprung for the Moro blood oranges instead. No matter; they gave this drink a gorgeous hue. Also, it seemed like it might be a touch sweet, so I dropped the simple (I had Demerara, not Turbinado) to 3/4 ounce... Sadly, my chocolate mint died a couple months ago, so I skipped it. And I wasn't about to fire up a grill for one slice of orange, so I subbed a flamed Seville orange peel... I love the bittersweet-sour genre of drinks, and this is a great example.

• Reply to: Flue-cured   by   4 years 2 months ago

good point, when i am fiddling i keep it small for a few reasons, i doubled the proportions now as i have tweaked it to no longer be a work in progress

• Reply to: Maharaja's Revenge   by   4 years 2 months ago

• Reply to: Maharaja's Revenge   by   4 years 2 months ago

Looks awesome, though Old Monk is increasingly hard to find around Boston (at least it is at my usual packies). I wonder how mezcal would do in this, I bet mezcal as base spirit would be tasty with some tweaks.

• Reply to: Flue-cured   by   4 years 2 months ago

I guess my issue isn't that the measurements look weird, it's that the drink is just over an ounce in size.

• Reply to: Flue-cured   by   4 years 2 months ago

they are if you are seeing them in metric, when i log in i get metric as is my preference but otherwise they are Imperial and look untidy

• Reply to: Dreaming of Oaxaca   by   4 years 2 months ago

wow tried this with Maguey single village vida this morning, yes that's right morning. :)

really tasty!

• Reply to: Egg Nog   by   4 years 2 months ago

For the 'rum' I used 1.5 oz Lemon Hart 151, 0.5 oz Allspice Dram. For the 'brandy' I used 1.0 oz Cruzan 151, 1.0 oz Benedictine. I also switched and used 6oz/4oz heavy (40%) cream/milk. "No Open Flames within 25 Feet" signs are optional. :)

• Reply to: Greenhouse Gimlet   by   4 years 2 months ago

I love that the source says to "measure responsibly", then proceeds to give part units ;) Setting a part = 1 oz. gives you a large drink, but makes the 2:1 sour:sweet ratio make sense. A part = 3/4 oz. means 2 1/4 SAGE, a shade more than 1/2 oz simple, and a bit more than an ounce of lime juice, which I think makes a lot more sense.