• The Asterisk   3 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks for catching that

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

I had tweaked this cocktail with Campari, which I subsequently deleted since it isn't authentic. My tweak was to use Campari for half the fruit liqueur. Also see Zachary's note for what was probably originally intended.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

Since this originated in 1881 in the US, I'd be willing to bet that the gin called for would be Old Tom, which has some sweetness to it. I'd also bet that the "apricot brandy" is meant to be brandy rested on apricot (or peach) pits. Maybe equal parts fairly old Cognac and apricot eau de vie (Blume Marillen) would be an appropriate substitution.

• Pendennis Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

Has there been a change? I'm not seeing the campari.

• Beuser & Angus Special   3 years 6 weeks ago

Yes, a typo, thanks for catching that.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

And the creator should be correctly attributed to Butters, who is a member here (a.k.a. PB & Foie).

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

Dan,

If you dissolved pink Peeps in Creme de Violette, you might have Creme Yvette... you will now have nightmares.

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

Name changed from Hoskins Cocktail (Amer Picon-less version) to The Mexican Hoskins Cocktails.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

Actually, I've never tried Creme Yvette because I have a 267-year supply of Creme de Violette to use up first. ;)

• Clermeil   3 years 6 weeks ago

Half Myers's and half Smith & Cross sounds like it would be good. I love (love, love) Smith & Cross, so I'd be happy with all Smith & Cross, but it sure would be resplendent with rum hogo!

• Beuser & Angus Special   3 years 6 weeks ago

I removed 1 3/4oz of Yellow Chartreuse, which doesn't appear in the original cocktail and I suspect was a typo. If this was intended, then you might indicate it in the Your Comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• The Voyager   3 years 6 weeks ago

Added attribution, garnish, history, and instructions. Changed rum ingredient to "gold rum"

• The Asterisk   3 years 6 weeks ago

Fixed the missing Chartreuse quantity and added the attribution.

• Lilac Domino   3 years 6 weeks ago

You know who would really like this? Dan. He loves Creme Yvette... the more the better.

• Hancock   3 years 6 weeks ago

Are the cucumber and rosewater mentioned in the notes part of the flavor profile of the drink, or should they be in the ingredients?

• Clermeil   3 years 6 weeks ago

I had Meyer's, Smith and Cross, and regular old Bacardi on hand. I went with the Smith & Cross and I don't know if 1.5 oz of this rum was the best choice for this cocktail. Next time I'll try a more neutral, lower proofed rum or some of each.

• Flor Delice   3 years 6 weeks ago

sounded good, but too dry and boozy for me. I will keep trying these ingredients in different proportions

• The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   3 years 6 weeks ago

As the creator of the Hoskins cocktail, may I suggest that if you're going to change the base spirit and the primary modifier you might as well rename it and make it your own. :) Looks good -- I'll give it a try.

• Arrack Attack   3 years 7 weeks ago

I enjoyed this drink very much, after adding an extra splash of Canton.

• Vesper   3 years 7 weeks ago

Right you are. Fixed.

• Vesper   3 years 7 weeks ago

I would think that Cocchi Americano would be a much better substitution for the (not made anymore) Kina Lillet. Bonal is very sweet vermouth meets Oloroso Sherry, and not only would you lose the color of the drink, but the flavors might be too heavy.

• Vesper   3 years 7 weeks ago

I like to use a 1:1:1 ratio

• Clermeil   3 years 7 weeks ago

perfectly balanced- love the allspice dram and chartreuse combo. I used the low end maple syrup measure and it was plenty.

• In a Pickle   3 years 7 weeks ago

Delicious, thanks. I love the st germain/falernum combo in the ninth ward, so this was a must try. I used Hendrick's and velvet falernum. 5/5

• Water Lily   3 years 7 weeks ago