• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   6 months 3 days ago

An excellent drink!  I've been making this with Rye instead of bourbon - Jim Beam's of late.  I also tried a variation using Jim Beam, Amaro Nonino, and (instead of Aperol) an aperitivo I found in Paris when I was (unsuccessfully) looking for a bottle of Select- Poli's "Airone Rosso."  It worked very well. (The Italian shopkeeper in Paris told me that Airone Rosso is very similar to Select.) I also sometimes add 1/8 to 1/4 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur. And I sometimes substitute Ramazotti for the Nonino. There you have it.

• Reply to: Nation Of Two   by   6 months 3 days ago

There is a lot going on, the pepper is nice as complexity. Used buffalo trace bourbon which is already a little peppery, so that add to it.

• Reply to: Apricot and Averna Bourbon Sour   by   6 months 4 days ago

Sort of an Averna Jimjam with a bourbon backbone.

• Reply to: Campfire Sling   by   6 months 5 days ago

Curated to correct syrup from 1oz to 1/4oz as per source recipe. No need for diabetes.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   6 months 6 days ago

This is the least good cocktail using elderflower I've had.  I love this stuff but this is a miss:  too much elderflower or maybe the interaction with orange is wrong.  The original Corpse Reviver #2 is better.

• Reply to: Water Lily   by   6 months 6 days ago

Despite a pleasing appearance and high expectations, I must conclude this to be one of the least flavorful, albeit balanced, cocktails I've ever had.

• Reply to: Leap Year   by   6 months 1 week ago

Subbed out Carpano formula antica for the vermouth.  Very subtle beginning, needs some time in the glass before the GM shows up.  Might try it with something other than Botanist next time.

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   6 months 1 week ago

Probably meant to be shaken, no?

• Reply to: November Witch   by   6 months 1 week ago

See sidebar for Bartender's Bain-Marie.

• Reply to: Meatpacker   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Just tried this. Was tasty but reminded me vaguely of a tootsie roll!

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Made with 1 1/2 oz Campari, 3/4 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz lime, 1/2 oz cranberry (2 tsp unsweetened cranberry juice and 1 tsp simple syrup) and the pinch of salt. Very good.

• Reply to: Infinite Jest   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I don't know how, but this is the most painfully sour cocktail I've ever had. My jaw cramped up.

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Very nice as written. I cross this with the Kingston negroni by substituting Smith & Cross for the bourbon. Call it a Chimpgroni. Even better in my opinion.

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

This is a really good drink.  Balance is right; it's one garnish or substitution or bitters away from being a classic.

• Reply to: Edgewood   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Good balance; of the 3 ingredients you'd expect to be able to taste, you can taste them all equally.  But could use another layer of flavor: herbal or fizzy, maybe?

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Looking forward to it!

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Leslie,

Thank you - there's more to come, including some pretty interesting detail about some legal aspects and brand information.

• Reply to: Black Walnut Old Fashioned   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this due to a curation request: Cleaned up instructions to avoid copyright issues. Added a link to the Robert Simonson book where it's quoted.

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Thanks for this, Zac.  I'm a relative newcomer to the world of American whiskeys and it's great to have a beginners' guide like this. You've even answered the question I'd begun to wonder about but hadn't got round to doing anything about: why bourbon is called bourbon.

Thanks again.

• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

It's that time again - we now have 36 variations of the Old Fashioned, and I'm going to thin them out (by hiding them) based on how many people have the drink in their cocktail book - I feel it's better than either deleting them or merging them into this drink and making a note. Just as a heads up, I'm also going to do this to the Negroni and the Martini - any new variations of these three drinks will need to come from a great bar or be so compelling it deserves to be seen by everyone.  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Unstrung Harp   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this: moved the ginger syrup instructions to the notes section - it breaks the line badly otherwise. As an aside, this seems like an unpalatable amount of lime here - even if you get an ounce of juice out of a lime, it's almost as much as the alcohol and sweetener combined.

• Reply to: Private Club Cocktail   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

There are some good flavors in it but it needs work. The lemon juice is over powering with both flavor and acidity. I can't give you a better substitution but maybe I'll work on it.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Yeah I wrote it how it was in the book. Although actually it was donkey milk in the book. He does specifically call for raw milk as a substitute but i don't intend to use that. I think it's more about historical accuracy. Creme de cacao makes sense, but I'm curious about the Mexican hot chocolate thing so I'm going with that.

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

I used Sipsmith Sloe Gin and cut back the apricot liquer to 1/2 ounce.  Loved it, my friend was "not as enamored with it" but i thought it was tart, sweet and delightful!

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

I think I'd take his advice on the creme de cacao (an addition of 6 oz), but I don't know that the raw milk is necessary (or safe) in this application.