• Spring Cleaning   20 weeks 5 days ago

good catch, yes, its effects were affecting me this morning

• Spring Cleaning   20 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this - changed 45 cl to 45 ml, unless 15 ounces of pisco is appropriate.

Zachary

• Heisenberg's Blue Sky   20 weeks 6 days ago

Looking forward to trying one (oh, who am I kidding, several) this summer...

• Wander Back   21 weeks 1 day ago

I was stunned by how good this was, used Martini and Rossi. Not an intuitive match to me but I'm an amateur.

• Fernet Me Not   21 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks. I submitted this on my phone so I was having some issues with the drag down bars.

• Shaka   21 weeks 3 days ago

Nice flavor and the Okolehao stands out on the finish. Used fresh limes of the tree and had some lilikoi on the vine for passion fruit juice.

• Fernet Me Not   21 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this - changed maraschino cherry syrup to Maraschino liqueur, as per the picture. Sangue Morlacco is their cherry liqueur. Removed "fresh juice" from the lime... we assume fresh juices, etc...

Zachary

• Death & Taxes   21 weeks 3 days ago

Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

• Stocking a Better Bar   21 weeks 5 days ago

I like your recommendations, especially the Weller 12. And while I agree that there are better things out there than Brizard's Apry and white creme de cacao, the TF is vanilla heavy and shows through in drinks, and I figure that it's probably easier to find Apry than Albicocca (I've never seen a bottle, but I'd love to try it) or R&W (which is good stuff).

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   21 weeks 5 days ago

I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and passed one tiny-town liquor store after another. I had to keep kicking myself for not scheduling enough time to stop and explore. Seeing this article made me kick myself again. ;)

And, since you kinda asked for it, my 2 cents on recommended ingredients: for a standard-proof bourbon, I tend to fall back on Evan Williams 1783 or (as a wheated option) W.L. Weller 12 Year (or Special Reserve)... Also, regarding apricot and chocolate liqueurs... The Brizard stuff is okay, but a few better options are now both reasonably priced and fairly widely available. Rothman & Winter Apricot (and Peach, for that matter) seems pretty ubiquitous in both bars and liquor stores these days; personally, I prefer Luxardo Albicocca. Both are made the "proper" way, with apricot pits/kernels, and are around the same price. For chocolate, I can't recommend Tempus Fugit's Creme de Caçao highly enough. Rich and decadent, with a touch of vanilla. Sooo good.

• Stocking a Better Bar   21 weeks 6 days ago

This is the advanced course to the beginner's steps that I wrote on my own site:

But that advice obviously isn't for anyone who frequents this site. It's sad how intimidated people are by putting together a decent home bar, so stuff like this is so helpful - I know I would have loved an article like this when I was beginning my own bar!

• Williwaw Swizzle   21 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks Zachary!

• Nerina   22 weeks 18 hours ago

Delicious. I added a dash of wormwood bitters to offset the sweet Meletti a bit. Really good.

• Williwaw Swizzle   22 weeks 19 hours ago

It does now!

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   22 weeks 1 day ago

I would add Calle 23 as a great 100% agave tequila at an excellent (~$20) price point. And a peaty Scotch (like Bowmore Legend or Black Bottle at the budget end or Aberlour 10 or Lagavulin 16 a few shelves up) has a lot of use in contemporary cocktails, while something like Glenmorangie 10 or Speyburn 10 is both cheaper and more reminiscent of a standard Scotch profile than the sherried (and excellent) Balvenie and Aberlour. But these are quibbles. I'll forward this series of articles to friends who are interested in building their own home bars.

• Cosmopolitan   22 weeks 1 day ago

The Cosmo was balanced around cranberry cocktail. I think pure cranberry juice is a good addition (and an excellent ingredient in its own right), but a vodka daisy bittered with cranberry is a different drink.

• Judgment Day   22 weeks 1 day ago

Kind of a pisco sour with elderflower instead of simple syrup... me likey.

• Cosmopolitan   22 weeks 1 day ago

Would use 1/2 oz of pure cranberry juice (like from Lakewood), for bitterness and red color, NOT the cranberry juice COCKTAIL from Ocean Spray et al. (Cranberry juice cocktail is mostly apple juice.)

• Corpse Reviver #2   22 weeks 1 day ago

Must use Cocchi Americano, not Lillet Blanc.

• The Art of Choke   22 weeks 1 day ago

Made this with Depaz Agricole before I learned not all rums are interchangeable and had to pour it down the sink.
    2 months later I made it with Wray and Nephew and it was lovely.

• East Coast Tommy Margarita   22 weeks 1 day ago

I agree. I'm all for Jackson Cannon and what he has done for cocktails in the Kendall Square area of Boston, but this steps far enough away from a Margarita as to be a different drink. I Margarita is about the interplay of the pepper of the blanco, the fruit of the triple sec, and the sweet/sour balance of the liqueur and lime. Plus salt of course.

• Amore Sporco   22 weeks 1 day ago

Dayri,

Can you tell us more about the tincture? Is it a rum base and bittered?

Zachary

• The Paul Clifford   22 weeks 2 days ago

Ginger what? Juice, syrup, liqueur ... ?

• East Coast Tommy Margarita   22 weeks 2 days ago

I was discussing this idea of subbing Cointreau for agave syrup with a friend the other night, and I just don't understand the appeal - it's a tequila sour, which is fine and all that, but it's not a Margarita.

Zachary

• Third Ward Zombie   22 weeks 3 days ago

Could you give us an idea of how to make the drink (and your other entry)?

Zachary