• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Good look! Search appears to be down, though. Cheers and happy holidays, -r.

ADMIN NOTE: The keyword search in the menu bar seems to be working. It took a while for the new site to re-index all the content, but it is complete now. The cocktail search seems to be working too. Let me know if you still see problems. -- cheers, Dan

OP FOLLOW-UP: Working now. Thanks!

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

the new look is great! One thing: on the front page now there's only 4 new cocktails listed whereas previously one could press "more" and get an entire list of all the newly submitted drinks - which, if like me one is not online that often due to living in a weird and not that internet-friendly place, was extremely useful if for no other reason than getting immediately inspired. So perhaps you could find a way to re-introduce that feature?

ADMIN NOTE: The "more" button has returned to the Recent Cocktails list. :)

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I like the new treatment for mobile! But now when I do a search across the entire database and check both 'browse by primay alcohol' and 'show ingredients' recipes show up categorized under *each* of their ingredients, so the list is extremely long.

ADMIN NOTE: Browse by Primary Alcohol is now fixed and works differently. Rather than grouping by the individual ingredient (e.g. Rum, Dark Rum, Light Rum, Barbados Rum, etc), cocktails are grouped by the overall category of ingredient (e.g. Rum & Cane Spirits for all those rums).

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Oooh, intriguing... I've had a bottle of the Burlesque forever, but never seem to use them. I'll have to try them next time... Glad you dig it!

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Unsurprisingly tasty. Apricot dominates, rounded out by the elderflower, and dried out in the finish by the bourbon and bitters. I used a dash of Bittermens Burlesque.

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

I was an idiot, but no longer. This is a fantastic drink. I use Bigallet 'China-China' Amer for the Amer Picon. Also wonderful is the substitution of 1/4 oz Islay Scotch (e.g. Laphroaig 10) for a bit of the rye. This is a world-class cocktail.

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

I'm liking the new look so far, merry Christmas!

• Reply to: Rhubarb Jimjam   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Yeah, Stew it was a tad tart, which is surprising. I revised the recipe to include a touch of orgeat, which adds nice depth and couterpoint to the rhubarb, while tilting the drink slightly sweeter.

• Reply to: Ford Cocktail   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

I agree that the gin is lost in this recipe. I bumped up the gin to 1.75 oz and it was much better.

• Reply to: Rhubarb Jimjam   by   5 months 1 day ago

Dan likes 'em tart! Tres bon!

• Reply to: Picket Fence   by   5 months 1 day ago

Great drink! We liked it a bit better with equal parts bourbon and apple cider.

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   5 months 2 days ago

There was no rhyme or reason to the naming of this drink. For some reason, while sipping on it and brainstorming cocktail names, this song popped into my head... Also, the (arguably) best R.E.M.-related cocktail name (and another favorite album) was already taken... ;)

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   5 months 2 days ago

A drink named (?) after a song from one of my favorite albums, featuring three or four of my favorite ingredients? Yeah. Definitely trying this.

• Reply to: Jardin Féerique   by   5 months 2 days ago

Always hate to be negative but not really a fan. In fairness, did not have Death's Door on hand so used Berkshire Mountain Greylock. Not surprisingly, the absinthe dominates. Couldn't see serving as an alternative to a G&T.

• Reply to: Beton   by   5 months 3 days ago

I like an ounce of vodka in there too, punches it up nicely.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   5 months 1 week ago

I don't have Yellow Chartreuse so I made it with Green. Does that make it an Extra Greenpoint? Also subbed VYA sweet for the Punt e Mes which strangely unavailable in PA. Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

• Reply to: Gotham Nights   by   5 months 1 week ago

Yeah, I'm gonna update the recipe. I think I meant for it to be 1/2 oz coffee & 1/4 oz walnut, instead of the other way around. I use Nocello in this too, and you're right: it's VERY sweet & powerful... Also, I use Luxardo Espresso Liqueur which is more "coffee-y" and less sweet than some others, helping punch through that wall of walnut.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• Reply to: The Coal Miner   by   5 months 1 week ago

excellent drink. I added 1/2 ounces of Fresh grapefruit juice but excellent.

• Reply to: Cocktail à la Louisiane   by   5 months 1 week ago

A favorite. I use a Herbsaint rinse and Punt e Mes vermouth.

• Reply to: Gotham Nights   by   5 months 1 week ago

I find that walnut liqueurs can be overpowering, to the point where you loose all other flavors. So, I reduced this to 1/4 oz. I love it! Not overly sweet, and actually the first walnut drink I will make again! Oh, and I used Nocello. Perhaps Nocello is a sweeter walnut liqueur.

• Reply to: À la Diable   by   5 months 1 week ago

Au diable! I knew I misremembered. Thanks Frog. I meant "a la," a phrase I think I got from Nabokov, but now I like au better.

• Reply to: À la Diable   by   5 months 1 week ago

Rafa - Depending on what you mean, it's going to be either "à la diable" (in haste) or "au diable" (to hell with).
    :-)

• Reply to: Norman Conquest   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

So it's like a Vieux Carre for the North Atlantic (smoky/peaty more than spicy). Lovely. I used Lagavulin 16, because it's what I had, + Peychaud's. The Drambuie would replace the Benedictine so sounds intriguing, but I don't have any on hand.

• Reply to: Karmic Sutures   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

I love this drink. The more sublime the tequila the better.

• Reply to: Coasta de Morte   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the Cocchi suggestions - was out of Lillet and Cocchi and used Campari instead. Used Kilchoman Islay whiskey and drink was awesome - nice and smokey with great complexity!