• Reply to: The Music Orange   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Enjoyed this one much more than I expected to. I'm generally very wary of orange juice in cocktails, and 1.5 oz sounds like a LOT of OJ here, but the lemon and falernum provide enough oomph to keep it from falling flat. Used B.G. Reynolds' falernum and mandarin oranges because that's what I had on hand.

• Reply to: Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

The brovo liqueur is sweetened with agave syrup; the eau de vie is fully dry, so no, not entirely. They might have comparable flavor intensity, so the brovo product might work in some of these drinks if the specs are adjusted for sweetness, but experimentation is required. There's also the issue that the liqueur is distilled with GNS (high proof vodka), while Clear Creek distils with their own brandy, which presumably affects flavor and texture.

• Reply to: Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Brovo (http://brovospirits.com/products/liqueurs/douglas-fir/) also makes a Douglas Fir liqueur.

Are these essentially interchangeable?

• Reply to: The Corsican   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to conform to reference, reducing vermouth and falernum from 1 oz to 1/2 oz. Also removed excessive quote from source for copyright reasons. Added attribution details.

• Reply to: Black Negroni   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

This is fine, but the Averna doesn't add nearly as much to the drink as the vermouth usually does. Its subtler notes get hidden behind the Campari so that mostly it just reinforces the bitterness.

• Reply to: Cubed Old Fashioned   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with Smith & Cross, WT 101 Rye, and Salignac Cognac. Used 1/4 oz regular double simple syrup. Still a mighty fine drink.

• Reply to: Trafalgar   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Really enjoyed this cocktail. I used Apple jack in place of brandy. Cheers

• Reply to: Confused Limey   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

I used your recipe but altered it a bit and it turned out really good.  I didn't have grapefruit bitters but used rhubarb bitters instead and added grapefruit juice instead of lime juice. Really good. Thanks.

• Reply to: Cubed Old Fashioned   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

This is brilliant - so much flavour (Hennessey, Appleton 12, Rittenhouse).  Maybe a little sweet with the half of simple, but now I'm going to make the Old Fashioned syrup and try the drink in its full glory.

• Reply to: Kentucky Red Head   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

I liked this quite a bit, the bourbon and ginger are a natural combination. I found it a bit tart as written though, I might pull back on the lemon juice a bit next time.

• Reply to: Missouri Mule   by   7 months 1 day ago

Touché.  I have updated my previous error.  Cheers.

• Reply to: Missouri Mule   by   7 months 1 day ago

Tasty. I could see adapting this into a tall drink with rocks and soda.

However, the Democratic party symbol is a donkey not a mule.

• Reply to: Victorian   by   7 months 2 days ago

Nice catch and sorry for the confusion...The vodka is now added.  Cheers.

• Reply to: Victorian   by   7 months 2 days ago

Vodka?

• Reply to: Firetail   by   7 months 2 days ago

Made it with Sombra Mezcal and Mandarito (Mandarin Liqueur) and turned out quite nicely

• Reply to: After-Dinner Sazerac   by   7 months 4 days ago

That would be Nikka Coffey Grain, straight. ;) Thanks, Zach

• Reply to: Meatpacker   by   7 months 4 days ago

Got gifted a bottle of Limoncello so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's nicely balanced and I liked the addition of the chocolate bitters, but I'm just not a limoncello fan; if you are you'd probably love this.

• Reply to: After-Dinner Sazerac   by   7 months 6 days ago

Rafa, I think that's only a Sazerac in the way that you could use a Dali watch to tell time. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: After-Dinner Sazerac   by   7 months 6 days ago

Ha. I agree, but I don't like to rename other people's drinks as a rule, however inaccurate that name is. And this is a delicious drink regardless, though I don't know that it's better than Yamazaki straight.

• Reply to: Rhum with a Vieux   by   7 months 6 days ago

Love the name...

• Reply to: Hearts of Oak   by   7 months 1 week ago

I used Woodford's and Ardbeg, and it was fantastic!

• Reply to: Darkest Manhattan   by   7 months 1 week ago

Curated to remove unneeded ingredient notes and add brand of bitters. Your instructions imply a stir-and-dump into an OF glass. Do you mean this to be strained?

• Reply to: Caribbean Punch   by   7 months 1 week ago

KC still won't let me input "almond extract" as an ingredient--it automatically adds "syrup" after I type "almond."

• Reply to: Lady in Blue   by   7 months 1 week ago

Curated this. To avoid copyright issues, rewrote the instructions and removed edible flower garnish (which was in the instructions, but not in the recipe). Removed the teaser that it's a White Lady variation - it's not.

Zachary

• Reply to: Hazy Asset   by   7 months 1 week ago

Good call. The adjustment was made and it is much better.