• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   5 months 3 days ago

<br />The Duplex is an enjoyable drink, and its wonderful taste is in the simplicity of the drink itself. There are only two major ingredients, the Lillet Blanc and the Punt e Mes. Period. The other two ingredients may seem to play a somewhat minor role, but they are essential to the drink's pleasantness. The orange bitters (I used Fee Bros West Indies Orange Bitters, which has a somewhat more distinctive taste than the usual Regan's or Angostura Orange Bitters) and the lemon peel add additional flavors and more complexity to this drink. The Duplex can, in my opinion, be imbibed in a hot afternoon, or before dinner, or after dinner. It is a light, somewhat complex tasting, yet versatile drink.

• Reply to: Ashby Swizzle   by   5 months 4 days ago

This has pretty much replaced the Last  Word as my go-to cocktail when I have mint in my garden.  I don't have tobacco bitters so I don't use them.

• Reply to: A Monkey In Winter   by   5 months 4 days ago

Left off the syrup. Found it plenty sweet with Tempis Fugit cacao .  Otherwise delicious!!

• Reply to: La Merced   by   5 months 5 days ago

Lovely drink. Was a bit too sweet for my taste so added a dash of Boker's bitters.

• Reply to: Love Is Like A Bottle Of Gin   by   5 months 1 week ago

agreed on the luxardo, dialed it back a bit and subbed falernum for cinnamon syrup

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   5 months 1 week ago
  • Reply to: Antihero   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Fantastic. Cut the lime juice down to 3/4.

• Reply to: Teresa 2   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Quite nice. My cassis was rather oxidized and that came through under the Campari. I think it would be better with fresh vibrant cassis or some other berry-family liqueur. Stone fruit -- maybe apricot -- might work too. Without the gin, I think it would be cloying.

• Reply to: South of No North   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Corrected from chocolate bitters to coffee.

• Reply to: Casino   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Do yourself a favor and drop the amount of maraschino to a scant 1/4 oz. Add a bar spoon of simple to sweeten it up slightly.

• Reply to: South of No North   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

The reference states 1 oz cold-brew coffee where this one states 1 oz bitters.

• Reply to: Early Dismissal   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Made an approximation of this with spiced rum and hibiscus cardamom syrup from Portland Soda Works, but the result was great! A bit tart.

• Reply to: Tarleton's Resurrection   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

a tad sweet/heavy for me as is, would up the lemon juice I think if I make again

• Reply to: Raton Canyon Cocktail   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

I can sum it up in three words: A FANTASTIC DRINK! I rated this drink as a five, something I raarely do. I rate a drink as a five when: the drink is relatively easy to fix, and does not take much time to prepare. Also, the ingredients are easy to obtain, and they can be used in a variety of drinks (I hate to buy an ingredient that is somewhat pricey--say $30 on up--and is used only for that drink); in short the ingredients are versatile, and a will not lanquish on the shelf for years, seldom used. Also, the drink is inherently tasty, it's not one that you have to "aquire" a taste for. Finally, it's a drink that is popular with the general public and has been popular for several decades--in short, not a fad.

Drinks like the martini, or the old fashioned, or the Rob Roy are examples of drinks that I would rate a five, even though I, personally don't care for dry martinis. In my opinion, it's easy to justify a five rating for The Raton Canyon Cocktail: Only a few ingredients are needed, all of the ingredients are easy to find and buy; individually they aren't real expensive, and each ingredient is versatile, i.e. each one can be used in a variety of different cocktails In short, it's a very tasty drink, with only a few ingredients that blend together simply marverously into what I describe as a truly unforgettable.cocktail. Yes, with no doubt, the Raton Canyon Cocktail truly deserves a five rating. Bottoms up, but slowly, so you can enjoy a truly unforgettable drink.

• Reply to: Bartlett Tartlet   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Made with St George Pear Brandy, Pierre Ferrand 1840 and Combier Triple Sec. Divine. Like rich pear drops with a satisfying alcoholic warmth that lingers. Perfect accentuation of a beautiful pear note.

• Reply to: Mother-In-Law   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

It's a nice drink and I'll make it again, but the quantities are odd. Halve it and you end up with (nearly) two proper drinks.

• Reply to: Bad Word   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

This is a drink about which I have mixed feelings. On my first sip, I found the drink to be intensely bitter, with my first impulse to be "throw the damn thing out!" However, after several more sips, I found the drink still to be bitter, like most Nargoni-like drinks, but I found myself rather liking the drink. For those of you who read the prior comments, let me clarify several points: one person said the drink was too "unctuous," which means greasy or fatty, which this drink is not. Another person said it was sublime, which means awe-inspring, This drink is not that, either.

How would I describe it? Here are three ways: (1) A drink needing to get used to, (2) one that's intense tasting, and (3) one that's bitter, sour, or tart--take your pick. Now, am I saying don't bother with this drink? No! Not by any means. But I am saying the following: First, be prepared for a bitter and/or tart tasting drink. After all, consider the ingredients: Chartruese, lime, and gran classico. All say bitter/sour/tart. Second, like me, you may be inclined to say, "Yuck! This drink is terrible. I say, take a few more sips; you'll probably, as I did, end up rather liking the drink. Now, you're probably wondering how I rated the drink; Well, I rated it a _____.

<br />
    An interesting drink, one that I would probably put into the "after dinner" category. A little on the sweet side, with what I would describe as having a somewhat "thick" feel in the mouth--but not unpleasant by any means. For the rye, I used top-shelf 6 year-old Sazerac rye. I agree with one person who thought that the person who posted this cocktail should have specified the bitters to be used. I used black walnut as suggested by another person, but I was not entirely satisfied with the outcome. While it was not a bad choice for a bitters with this cocktail, I think there's probably a better choice. I just don't know what it is!

Regardless, the basic drink is a good one, however I would not use an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse because such ryes can overwhelm the other ingredients. Some solid ryes in the 80 to 95 proof range to consider are Wild Turkey Rye (81 proof), Michter's (90 proof), and Bulleit Small Batch rye (95proof). Now to search for a bitters that will complement the flavors in this otherwise great cocktail!

• Reply to: Drink My Blood   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

A drier version with Solerno instead of syrup

• Reply to: Pear Collins   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Used rothmans pear liqueur instead of pear juice and skipped the syrup to makes a very delicate and dry cocktail.  Fabulous

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I know the comment is 2 1/2 years old but I was always befuddled but the person above bashing Smith & Cross, a highly regarded rum and one I find unique and interesting.  He evokes Ed Hamilton in his trash talk so I dug around Ed's Ministry of Rum web site looking for his scathing review and pretty much what I found was this...

"...this is not a sipping rum by contemporary standards but rather reflects the tastes and production of the 19th century.  Used sparingly in cocktails it adds a broad dimension to both the aroma and taste in cocktails".

Fair enough...  I'm not much of a rum sipper anyway but for me this is spot-on.

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Curated from 1 to 2 drinks as it seems plenty big enough for two. Also fixed capitalization and tweaked up instructions to conform to style guidelines.

• Reply to: Amer Picon Cocktail   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

This is the ideal cocktail for those who like a sweet but not too sweet drink, and those who like a chocolate-like taste. I suspect that's about 80% of adult Americans. I used Amer Picon and one of my favorite top-shelf Italian vermouths, Contratto Rosso. This is a drink that deserves a top-shelf vermouth, whatever that brand may be. And it's definitely an after-dinner drink, one to be lingered over and enjoyed. Simple to make, and easy to enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Just revisited this one using Bluecoat, Cocchi di Torino, and Cynar 70. Mixed it once as posted and it was very nice: the C70 intensified the bitterness and ABV and in so doing balanced nicely against the hefty maraschino. Mixed it again with 2 oz gin and reduced the maraschino to 1 tsp. Better? Maybe. YOU make the call. Glad you dug it, wthrift.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

A worthy addition to the range, I think. Used Bonal in place of Maurin.