• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   6 months 20 hours ago

I tweaked this by using a little less than 1/4 oz of green chartreuse in place of the yellow chartreuse and enjoyed the heck out of this drink. It's definitely for those who love bitter drinks with a whisper of smoke and herbs.

• Reply to: Kirsch Cosmo   by   6 months 1 day ago

Curated this per a curation request: Fixed the link (which was broken).

• Reply to: Black Flip   by   6 months 2 days ago

Tried this with 1/2 ounce of Wondermint substituted for 1/2 ounce of the rum.  Very tasty!

• Reply to: 1794   by   6 months 4 days ago

Highly recommend the 1796 with Santa Teresa rum mentioned in the comments at the link.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   6 months 5 days ago

I curated this slightly to bring it into line with the cited link (which is Wondrich's Esquire article).

• Reply to: Ginger Grant   by   6 months 5 days ago

Curated this slightly - added new ingredient Vanilla liqueur, Giffard.

• Reply to: Gypsy   by   6 months 5 days ago

Due to a curation request, I merged two cocktails called "Gypsy" - the one with a better source citation is the one I kept.

• Reply to: Anastasia   by   6 months 5 days ago

Cut all volumes in half, used unflavored vodka and added 1/4 oz ginger liqueur for 3 oz pre-shake volume.

• Reply to: Midnight Stinger   by   6 months 6 days ago

Thought the Fernet might be overpowering, but it's not. A tad sweet for my taste; will reduce syrup to 1/2 next time.

• Reply to: Big Ship   by   6 months 1 week ago

Tasty, and despite appearing to be a winter-spiced drink, it would work wonderfully as a light summertime sour.  I subbed in my regular homemade orgeat because I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference at 1/4 oz.  I also served it up in a chilled coupe because it really seemed like more appropriate glassware.  It's already well-diluted and is a somewhat small drink, so pouring it over ice seems like a recipe for quick over-dilution.

• Reply to: Curbside Cider   by   6 months 1 week ago

Not bad, but the Fernet is pretty strong.  There are better cider recipes out there.

• Reply to: New Amsterdam Winter Fix   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

The linked recipe adds superfine sugar or simple syrup to the muddle. I made it without and thought it very nice and balanced without the additional sweetener.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I curated this per the link, which has Sam Ross making the drink and explaining the ingredients. There are a lot recipes floating around the internet for this, most of which simplify the ginger part of the sweetener, or sub different Scotches, but I figure that if we have a video of the creator of the drink, that should be the canonical recipe.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I second the comments stated by, "Fransos".

3/8 oz. Honey Syrup

3/8 oz Sweetened Ginger Juice

(not 3/4 oz Ginger-Honey Syrup)

Created, 2005

(As per Sam's, "Bartender's Choice" App.)

*this needs curation*

• Reply to: Arrack Swizzle (Cienfuegos)   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

There was a curation request to change the volume of rum and sweet vermouth to 3/4 oz from 1/2 oz. Done. If there's a link to cite, please include it.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Clever clever clever. The Chartreuse fits in perfectly.

• Reply to: Orange Union   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - simplified the note on the Bourbon -  all OGD variants are high-rye, edited to "bonded".  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Slow Decay   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I thought I was over IPAs. I may be back on board.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

This cocktail is shockingly well-balanced. A work of genius.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I wonder if this might be a good use for Cynar 70.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Not too sweet at all with Combier kümmel, but your mileage may vary.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Hmmm. Aquavit isn't sweetened. I'm skeptical of the sugar balance in this one....

• Reply to: Scarlet Knight   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Based on ingredients on hand, omitted the eau de vie spritzed mint sprig, but substituted St. George Terroir gin to add some fir/forest essence.  Also substituted a few dashes of rhubarb bitters for the Zucca.  Fantastic holiday cocktail.

• Reply to: Williamsburg   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Deliciously smoky. A perfect aperitif for potato-apple-cheddar soup on a cold day.

• Reply to: The Secret Is in the Telling   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

That must be what the secret is.