• 1794   22 weeks 3 days ago

This is a goddamn glorious drink.

• The Man Comes Around   22 weeks 3 days ago

Oh my. This was fantastic. I basically bought the Xocolatl bitters because I saw so many raves about this drink. I used Vida and Ferrand Ambre (did not have Spanish brandy or sherry).

My question is how many Bittermen's drops is a dash? I used the 15-18 suggested on the Kindred Bittermen's page, but that didn't correspond to the 1/4 length of the dropper that the page says.

Either way, this is great.

• Mount Vernon   22 weeks 5 days ago

Delicious. It tastes, unsurprisingly, like brandied cherries. The grapefruit juice adds a slight acidity and lightness.

• Chocolate Manhattan   23 weeks 22 hours ago

Nice desert cocktail, used Makers Mark bourbon

• Old Fashioned (Late 20th Century)   23 weeks 1 day ago

A few years ago we had a group from Wisconsin ask for "Korbel Old-Fashioneds Sour"; I had no idea what they meant but turns out this is exactly what they wanted. First time I had ever heard them called this.

• Fort Point   23 weeks 2 days ago

Stew,

Maybe not - I'd think there would be enough sweetness in the Chinato to balance 2.5 oz of spirit - it's 3:1, assuming it's apricot brandy.

bza,

Maybe we need to name these Fort Point (Boston) and Fort Point (San Francisco)?

Zachary

• Fort Point   23 weeks 2 days ago

Going to assume this one calls for apricot liqueur ala Rothman & Winter or Marie Brizard, rather than true apricot brandy as suggested by the Imbibe link.

• The Crippled Creek   23 weeks 2 days ago

Somehow along the way "cucumber" became "celery," I think.
    Terrific drink at the top of my "savory" list. Thanks for posting it.

• Mise en Abyme   23 weeks 2 days ago

I made a "garnish with a smaller version of itself" joke inside your "smaller version of itself" joke.

• Corpse Reviver #2   23 weeks 4 days ago

Kina L'avion D'or works as well instead of lillet blanc.

• Wheelwright Cocktail   23 weeks 4 days ago

Sometimes I see recipes that look exciting on paper but end up muddled or boring in the glass. Not so here. This is a great aperitif that straddles the line between wild and elegant flavors beautifully, with each ingredient playing off every other in turn. Don't skip the orange flower water float/garnish; it does a lot to tie the drink together. Recommended.

• Gin Basil Smash   23 weeks 6 days ago

Christian Dehm at http://barnotes.co/recipes/christian-s-basil-smash has a nice version that adds 1/2 oz. Aperol and 2oz tonic water.

• Old Fashioned (Late 20th Century)   23 weeks 6 days ago

This is well known in the Midwest as the Wisconsin Old Fashioned except use Korbel Brandy.

• Summer Hemingway   23 weeks 6 days ago

fantastic!

• Bitter Elder   24 weeks 1 hour ago

Here's my take on this drink using the Campari/Aperol combo..

Lovely rose pink color with a very, very light nose that is gin forward with a touch of fruit sweetness from the Campari and Aperol - I’m somewhat stunned to not smell any of the St. Germaine. Sip is sweet and St. Germaine dominant on the front of the tongue while the midpalate sees the gin and its juniper notes come out immediately followed by the grapefruit-like bitterness from the Campari and Aperol. The back of the tongue and the swallow see that grapefruit profile grow stronger as the tart lemon juice develops. Amidst all these flavors the St. Germaine still darts in and out providing consistent sweet honey and lychee notes. The finish is pretty bitter with the most immediate flavor comparison being grapefruit juice with a hint of juniper and a good deal of elderflower. All in all, the grapefruit juice comparison is the most telling. Let’s say you were serving a customer at a bar and were thinking of something interesting to do for them with St. Germaine, or even trying to guide someone into drinking gin, and you asked them if they liked grapefruit juice, and they said yes, then you would no doubt have great success with this drink, however, if they say they don’t like grapefruit juice, then the chances are they will hate this drink.

• Wander Back   24 weeks 3 hours ago

Wow. First time I've had the Mezcal and Cynar pairing and I can see why people say it's genius.

• Colonel Carpano   24 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah, I don't know why I had to ask. It was awesome with Punt e Mes. Less "chocolatey" than the original, but still outstanding.

• Hunting Rifle   24 weeks 1 day ago

I used ED15 because it's what I have right now, and a mix of Redbreast 12 and Tyrconnell (I'm down to the last ounce or so of Redbreast and guarding it jealously). Any ED 5 and up should do; they all have the banana note in common with the Irish (and, obviously, the liqueur).

• Hunting Rifle   24 weeks 1 day ago

What demarara do you use? I think I'll make this tonight.

• Romanoff's of Beverly Hills   24 weeks 1 day ago

Not a bad drink, I love the flavor. It is very simple, not much depth and is not very strong. Its more like drinking juice. I feel that it is missing something... I think next time I make it I'll add some cranberry juice for some bitter/sour to try and even things out. Overall, as it stands now, I would rate it a 3/5

• Colonel Carpano   24 weeks 2 days ago

Probably very good, though very different. Punt e Mes has a heavy gentian bitterness and very little of Antica Formula's strong vanilla.

• Colonel Carpano   24 weeks 2 days ago

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might be with Punt e Mes instead of Carpano Antica?

• Traidor   24 weeks 5 days ago

Curated this slightly: changed the bitters from "Aged" to "Aromatic" to reflect picture and avoid confusion with their Aged Citrus bitters.

Zachary

• Bert Cooper   24 weeks 5 days ago

Yeah, I say "float" but most times I can't get these heavy liqueurs to stay above the rest of the drink (pouring them slowly down a barspoon helps). It's more of a "sink" I guess. Thanks for trying it!

• Colonel Carpano   24 weeks 6 days ago

Definitely a good one for slowly sipping and appreciating. Maybe a touch on the sweet side for my palette, so may have to adjust the Cynar and Antica formula down a touch. Flavor combination is brilliant and lends itself well to experimentation with bitters and garnish.