• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Challenging. I admit that I swapped the amounts of the Violette and Gran Classico. Austere and floral. The gin and Islay works better than it has any right to. Worth summoning the courage to try -- maybe even more than once.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This is an excellent and subtle cocktail that is still light and appealing to those often daunted by complex drinks. Personally, I prefer it with Creme Yvette as I find the Creme de Violette is a bit sweet for my tastes.

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

The variations(s) we like best are:

2 parts gin (London dry-ish)
    1 part Suze OR Aveze OR Salers
    1 part Kina l'Avignon d'Or OR Bianco vermouth OR Cocchi Americano OR Lillet Blanc

Stir with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with a lemon peel.
    The different aperitifs make for nice variations.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Dan, I've made one with Mezcal, I was thinking of putting it up but would take it down if it's too similar, is yours posted? If so, under what name, and if not, would you mind putting the build?

• Reply to: The Slope   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

A nice variation is the Sunset Park, with dry vermouth rather than Punt e Mes.

• Reply to: The Slope   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Since I use Punt e Mes as my house sweet vermouth, this isn't THAT different from a regular Manhattan. Still, the apricot notes are very nice, and the large amount of rye achieves a nice sugar balance with the added liqueur. A welcome addition to the family of rye / aromatized wine family. Large, and hence a bit powerful.

• Reply to: Vesper   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Our preferred variation is:
    21⁄4 oz Gin
    3⁄4 oz Vodka
    1⁄2 oz Kina L'Avion D'Or OR Cocchi Americano
    1 twst Lemon zest (as garnish)

The current Lillet doesn't have the amount of quinine that it used to in the 1960s. These two substitutes, we think, make a better drink. One of these, you want to go climb a tree; two, you couldn't climb a tree if you had to.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I use the same rum:lime juice:simple syrup ratio as a daiquiri (2oz:1oz:1/2oz) and (lightly) muddle about eight mint leaves. I use 1 to 1.5 ounces of club soda -- don't want to water it down too much.

• Reply to: Henry "Box" Brown   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Possibly my favorite cocktail. A well-aged rum is essential; others work, Appleton Estate 12, there's an El Dorado 12 I've found that works well too. Last time I was at Hop Sing I think they were using a Gosling Family reserve.

Finding nice grapes and juicing them is the only real reason I don't make this all the time.

• Reply to: Margarita   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

My preferred recipe
    2.0 oz Silver/blanco tequila (OR 1.5 oz tequila and 0.5 oz mezcal for a smokey variant)
    1.0 oz Citrus juice, freshly squeezed (1 ounce lime juice OR half ounce each of lime juice and lemon juice)
    0.75 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau, Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao, or Creole Shrub)
    0.25 oz Agave syrup (If omitting the agave syrup, bump up the triple sec to a full ounce)
    Half salted rim

• Reply to: North by Northwest   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

<p>Apple butter is apple sauce that is caramelized by long, slow cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter</p>

• Reply to: Black Scottish Cyclops   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

In addition to a straight-up peaty Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, or Ardbeg), I have found that Talisker 10 year works very well in this cocktail. Other, less powerful, whiskys would just be overpowered (in part because 4 dashes of Fee Whiskey Barrel bitters is very intense).

• Reply to: Widow's Kiss   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

It is a much better drink with Calvados, in my opinion. We always use Calvados -- with the same 2:1:1 ratios as the original recipe.

• Reply to: Martini   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

The 3-1 ratio of gin to dry vermouth along with orange bitters and a lemon peel is the recipe I use. I've seen this particular variant called the "Nick and Nora". Moving on to "which gins" and "which vermouths" could fill pages.

• Reply to: North by Northwest   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Apple butter?

• Reply to: Little Italy   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Made using homemade figs in syrup. Definitely not cherry, but worked nicely

• Reply to: Bella Luna   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Candylike.

• Reply to: Martineuse   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

This is essentially a Bijou, sans orange bitters. Try knocking back the Chartreuse to 1/4 oz if you feel it overpowers the drink. Maybe a london dry style gin will work wonders as well.

• Reply to: Ford Cocktail   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Nice. Not spectacular. This would be a good drink to introduce an assertive Old Tom (Ransoms, f'rinstance) to someone who "doesn't like gin". For me, who emphatically does like gin, it seems to play against the strengths of the spirit.

• Reply to: Martineuse   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Tastes like Chartreuse. But I did use Ransom's, which is halfway there to begin with. Thinking a lemon peel garnish would really add soemthing. Also, that a better vermouth (just killed my Carpano Antiqua on a Martinez this afternoon) and a less assertive gin, say Hayman's or Tanq OT might make a difference.

• Reply to: Noce Americana   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Tried this with Rittenhouse and ¼ ounce Russo Nocino replacing the bitters. Delicious and helped ease the difficult transition into autumn...

• Reply to: Shaddock   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

This is a great cocktail!! Reminds me of an Aviation a bit. The ingredients blend wonderfully together, without one overpowering the others. With Genevier, I find it hard to make the ingredient blend into a cocktail, but this does very well!

• Reply to: Growing Old Cocktail   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Smoked salt adds an interesting dimension to this.

• Reply to: Davy Jones' Locker   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Cinnamon syrup really didn't do much for me. Preferred with simple syrup and Demerara rum.

• Reply to: All Signs Point To Yes   by   5 months 1 day ago

Tried this drink at home, and then tried it again and added a egg white and some lime, it added some softness to it. Good idea!