• Reply to: Miss Scarlet   by   5 months 2 days ago

Love love love this!!! Subbed cardamaro for cynar and lemon for lime (all we had), homemade grenadine (made with a touch of orange and rose water), cherry bitters, definitely putting this one in rotation!

• Reply to: Rob Roy   by   5 months 3 days ago

The Rob Roy tends to be made with an un-peated blended scotch. Most cocktails that don't specify are this way. The template for this particular cocktail's pretty forgiving & peat can be tasty here. But people who order this would be extremely unlikely to get it made with a peated scotch unless they asked for it.

• Reply to: Rob Roy   by   5 months 3 days ago

<br />It's really unfair to rate this drink. Use the same vermouth, but use an Islay vs a Highland scotch, and I guarantee you'll get two different rating scores. Likewise, you can use the same scotch but use two different high-quality vermouths and I guarantee you'll get two dififerent rating scores. There's no answer to the dilemma, I'm just bringing it to you're attention.

I suppose you can make the same comment about any drink, but the Rob Roy is particularly sensitive to this issue, simply because Islay scotches are so incredibly different in taste from the other Scotches, that it will profoundly affect rating scores. I hate the peated Scotches typical of Islay, and I love the incredibly smooth and refreshing taste of a Scotch from Hightland. What to do? I haven't a clue! Do you?

• Reply to: Thanksgiving for Jack   by   5 months 3 days ago

Pretty good. I figured what the heck and gave it a couple drops of Aztec chocolate bitters too. Thumbs up.

• Reply to: Ancient Mariner   by   5 months 4 days ago

Apparently you can't delete (can only edit) a comment from this site?

• Reply to: Dorflinger   by   5 months 5 days ago

What an odd name for a cocktail. It turns out that "Dor" is Gaelic for turd. So there you have it: Turd flinger!

On a more serious note, I considered the ratios of the ingredients, and decided to be cautious about how much Absinthe to use. I chose St George's Terroir Gin, knowing it could stand up to the absinthe. For the absinthe, I picked St George's Absinthe Verte (by the way, St George's products are outstanding).

I poured 2 oz gin, but only 1/4 oz Absinthe. The gin came through, as did the Absinthe (but lightly so). I added 1/8 oz, and perfecto! I then added two dashes of Fee Bros' gin-barrel aged Orange Bitters (a relatively new product). Not enough, so I added two more dashes. Better, but it needed a sharper citrus taste. I used an orange twist; not enough (maybe flame it next time), and then used a lemon twist. Home at last!

The final recipe I suggest for 'Dorflinger' is: 2 oz of gin, 3/8 oz absinthe, 4 dashes orange bitters (might consider lemon bitters), one orange twist, and one lemon twist. I rated the cocktail between 3.0 and 3.5. Worth making and drinking. Some, however, may prefer a lighter hand on the Absinthe, use only 1/4 oz. Personally, I caution against using more than 1/2 oz absinthe; all of the other tastes will be swallowed up.

Needless to say, I will be tinkering with this libation over the next several weeks (e.g., I will try a softer gin, such as Tanqueray Ten). Meanwhile, drink and enjoy, but drink responsibly.

Note: Considering that I totally revamped the "Dorflinger" recipe, from top to bottom, I have named my version of "Dorflinger," as "Dorflinger Revisited.

• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   5 months 1 week ago

I have a slight preference for 1.5:1.5:0.75:0.5:0.5 ratio (possibly even slightly less juice or simple).

Smith+Cross, alone, would overpower. But 1 oz Barbancourt or even Goslings with a 1/2 oz of S+C is tasty.

I prefer this version over the variants that call for passionfruit syrup and/or pineapple rum.

• Reply to: Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned)   by   5 months 1 week ago

If you're looking for a man's drink, the Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned), look no farther. With its robust flavor from the bourbon (Jim Beam black label), and the exquisite taste of a good cognac (Hennessy Very Special Cognac), combined with brown sugar (light brown, but dark brown may be better) to add some sweetness (but not too much), with the zest oils from an orange and a lemon to counterbalance the flavors. NOTE: 1 tsp of sugar equals one sugar cube.

As you might guess, this drink is complex with its many different flavors. I think you'll enjoy both the breadth and depth of flavors you'll encounter in this drink.

The only decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use light or dark brown sugar. For myself, I was satisfied with light brown sugar (which was the only brown sugar I had). The dark brown sugar is likely to be somewhat sweeter and richer. However, be you woman or man, you'll enjoy this "man's drink."

• Reply to: Manhattan Cocktail No. 1 (Savoy)   by   5 months 1 week ago

Ooh loved this! Had to do a 1:1 mixture of dry and blanc Dolin as it was all I had. One dash Fee brothers whiskey barrel bitters, 2 dashes Fee orange bitters. One Maraschino cherry, "if preferred v sweet add some maraschino cherry goo" ;-) YUM!

• Reply to: Green Hornet   by   5 months 1 week ago

<br />Aptly named: It stings like the Green Hornet. Mostly because of the Green Chartreuse. I followed the recipe but found the Chartreuse to be overwhelming, and the Fernet Branca to be close behind.

I added about 1/2 oz more rye (Rittehouse 100) and added two dashes of Fee Bros Black Walnut bitters. I ended up with a 3.5 drink. Within the next week or so, I will use the following recipe: 2 oz Rittenhouse Rye 100, 1/4 oz Fernet Branca, 1/4 oz Green Chartreuse, and 2 dashes of Fee Bros Black Walnut Bitters. I would like to hear what others think about the amount of Green Chartreuse and/or Fernet Branca.

With this drink, personal taste may explain why I needed to make such major changes to end up with a decent drink. I believe the rye should be specified, however. Different ryes bring a different flavor to a drink, as does the rye's proof.

• Reply to: Far Eastern Gimlet (Gin)   by   5 months 1 week ago

Lovely and drier than expected. Subbed Death's door and lavender bitters, finished with sprig of lavender as garnish.

• Reply to: Harvard Cocktail   by   5 months 1 week ago

Many historical versions lack the grenadine called for here.  See, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/2msxfz/not_cocktail_of_the_week_98_harvard/

This is a promising "Manhattan with brandy instead of whiskey" & the low rating may be due to the cloying sweetness I'd expect with that much grenadine.

• Reply to: Atta Boy   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Decent, but probably needs the exact brand of vinegar to get it right. I tried with a different brand of fig vinegar, and it worked, but it wasn't quite sweet enough and didn't quite feel "all there".

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Been making it lately with Sfumato Rabarbaro in place of the Nonino. Also very tasty.

• Reply to: Hurricane   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Made with a mix of Zacapa and Smith & Cross, served it up, no mint. Like a fruity and delicious daiquiri-esque thing. Will make again.

• Reply to: Mexican Velvet   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Substituted the pineapple syrup for passion fruit syrup and 1 oz of the tequila for mezcal, which made for a very tasty beverage. Might try the original too, sometime. Thanks.

• Reply to: Raven Stag   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Made with Salignac VS cognac and Vya vermouth. Really tasty!

• Reply to: Bon Vivant   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Solid drink. I would cut back the sweet vermouth to an ounce, though.

• Reply to: Port Light   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Smugglers Cove has this as egg white, 2 oz. bourbon, 1 oz. fresh lemon juice, 3/4 oz. honey syrup, 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup.

• Reply to: The Commodore   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Isn't this recipe a Commodore #2? According to Martin Doudroffs index of cocktails there are several cocktails including Commodore in their name. Jamie Boudreau is cited as the creator of the recipe written here, but Doudroffs index refers to this book: Albert Stevens Crockett. Old Waldorf Bar Days. Aventine Press. 1931. p. 127.

• Reply to: Sex Panther   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Had to try this just because of the name. I like it, though it seems like the Cynar gets lost. I gave it a 3, mainly because blackstrap always comes off a little odd to me.

• Reply to: Man with No Name   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

I could read 1/2 oz 'agave syrup 1:1 with water' as either a half or a quater oz of each. Tasting the drink, I think it's supposed to be 1/2 oz total - in other words, 1/4 of each. Pleasant drink, though.

• Reply to: Blackthorn English   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

This recipe seems under-rated. I wonder if it is the ratio or if people are using cheap/terrible sloe gin?

There are, at least, three types of cocktails that vye for the "Blackthorn" name. Sloe berries are the fruit of the Blackthorn tree & this concoction is probably the one that should have the title [though other have (humorously) proposed Irish whiskey-based concoction being credible due to where Blackthorn trees are grown].

This recipe dates to pre-1926 [when it appeared in Bolton's Sideboard]. Dave Arnold's recipe [1.5 oz Plymouth/0.75 sweet vermouth/0.75 sloe gin/2 dashes bitters] is better-balanced than this version.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Too sweet for my liking, however Tanya likes it.

• Reply to: Maiden's Kiss (Improved)   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Drinks with 1/2oz (or more) maraschino are always interesting. It seems very tame in this one. Not bad.