• El Camino   12 weeks 5 days ago

Hi there,

Thanks for posting this. I made it tonight and enjoyed it. However, I think that I will try it a second time and dial down the Fernet Branca to a 1/2 ounce and see what happens. Thanks again.

• Gin-Cel-Ray   12 weeks 5 days ago

thanks a lot--i'm a big fan of the components, and they're often overpowered by other elements in a cocktail.

• Gin-Cel-Ray   13 weeks 10 hours ago

Simple and enjoyable. A nice way to bring the gins together. A good alternative to a gin and tonic.

• Lifes Rich Pageant   13 weeks 2 days ago

I may be a big old nerd about music, and this band in particular. http://oneweekoneband.tumblr.com/tagged/rem/chrono

Sorel's great stuff, and expanding slowly, but surely, out of the tristate.

• Lifes Rich Pageant   13 weeks 4 days ago

Ooh, great name (great album, too)... This looks delicious. Wish Sorel would hurry up and make its way down to Texas...

• Southern Discomfort   13 weeks 4 days ago

Made this with equal parts Bourbon, Blood Orange Juice, and Aperol, with a few dashes of Angostura bitters. Really good.

• The Safe Word   13 weeks 5 days ago

Very nice. Warmth and spice from the Sorel complements the smoke and fruit from the tequila, with the other liqueurs adding orange and wine notes. The balance isn't as sweet as it looks on paper. I would cut back on the tequila a bit as it can dominate.

• Sex In the Rumble Seat   13 weeks 5 days ago

Yum. Made this this evening with Malacca, Dolin, Mathilde peach, and lime. Very refreshing. I found it less sweet than Eric did, possibly because Mathilde isn't as sweet as Brizard (though I doubt it), and possibly because my limes today are a bit sharp and overly assertive. The Laird's was surprisingly subdued and the Malacca and grenadine came to dominate as the drink warmed.

• Sex In the Rumble Seat   13 weeks 6 days ago

I've always thought of Laird's Bonded as being the more whisky side of apple brandy, where Germain Robin is more of the fruit and sweetness and Calvados more of the theoretical ideal of an apple. You comment makes me want to try this, but I'd need the peach Brizard...

Zachary

• Sex In the Rumble Seat   13 weeks 6 days ago

I'm still somewhat surprised at how much I like this drink, which started out completely as a joke. I feel like the sharp apple notes of the Laird's bonded combined with the soft botanical gin forms a really nice base, which I would not have thought before I made this up. I've enjoyed these multiple times since and I find that a less dry (though not strictly dry) gin such as Malacca works better than the Old Tom because it dials back the sweetness just a bit. Also lime juice works just as well as the lemon. It's a fairly sweet drink, like the actual Sex On The Beach, but more complex and therefore more delicious.

• Dark House   14 weeks 1 hour ago

Didn't Jeffrey Morgenthaler come up with this one? "Norwegian Wood"?

• Black Negroni   14 weeks 1 day ago

Agreed... I shrunk it down to 1 oz each when I made it.

I agree that it's not as magical as a true Negroni, but then few things are.

• Black Negroni   14 weeks 1 day ago

And that's a lot of booze in one drink!

Zachary

• Black Negroni   14 weeks 1 day ago

Nice as a variation, but lacks the magic of a Negroni.

• Negroni   14 weeks 1 day ago

Shortly after you posted this, Kevin Liu posted his own similar variation, the Black Negroni: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/black-negroni

• None More Black   14 weeks 2 days ago

Garnish with a lump of coal? I'm not a big coffee (nor chocolate) cocktail fan, but this does sound good. Espresso might work (to enhance the bitter aspect).

• None More Black   14 weeks 2 days ago

It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

• 100 Year War   14 weeks 2 days ago

Very nice. Tarter than it looks on paper. The Pimm's and Sorel meld together well.

• Dark and Stormy (Brad Thomas Parsons Recipe)   14 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this a bit - removed the simple syrup instructions from the recipe - it was seriously line breaky.

This drink seems really really sweet to me - it might have a lot of lime flavor from bitters and the syrup, but it looks like it's out of balance. Maybe Dan should take a swing at it for us ;)

Zachary

• Ultimatum   14 weeks 3 days ago

You should head down to New York and pick up a bottle. Unicum tastes like it used to steal Fernet's lunch money, and a liter goes for the same price as a fifth of Fernet.

• Negroni   14 weeks 3 days ago

Tried a variation tonight, which worked for me; using Averna in place of sweet vermouth.

• Aviation Cocktail   14 weeks 3 days ago

I tried this cocktail last night for the first time using the proportions listed in the Haus Alpenz recipe which differs slightly from your recipe. Both, if I'm not mistaken, differ from Hugo Ensslin's recipe which I liked the best. I've started on a classic cocktail kick and didn't realize what I was missing.

• Ultimatum   14 weeks 3 days ago

You're killing me with you stash of Unicum. Next you'll be posting Malort recipes.

• Meadowlands   14 weeks 4 days ago

Nice to have cocktails with Bercherovka, since it survived the flight back from Prague! This one works with Giffard Ginger instead of the apricot liqueur too. Thanks

• Self-Starter Cocktail   14 weeks 5 days ago

I merged the existing "Self-Starter" into this. I posted this first version, but it does have as good attribution, and incorrectly had twice the gin (2 oz).