• Skeleton Key   16 weeks 26 min ago

Tasty

• Jungle Bird   16 weeks 14 hours ago

A slight recipe tweak developed by Giuseppe Gonzalez of Painkiller (NYC) and that can be currently found on the menu at Milk & Honey NYC (thanks to head barman Theo Lieberman), has a dash more Campari (.75) and much less pineapple juice (.5) -- making rum and Campari the dominant flavours, a more bitter and alcoholic drink (also heavily reliant on the quality of the pineapple juice). It's the best variation I've tasted. This NYT piece explains it.

• Armistice   16 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice, dry-ish cocktail. A nice alternative to a Red Hook. I did not find 1/4 oz of each liqueur excessive. Lovely.

• The Hoskins Cocktail   16 weeks 1 day ago

made this with CioCiaro in place of the Amer Picon, and it is delicious - anything with CioCiaro is delicious!

• Fourth Regiment   16 weeks 2 days ago

also nice with Peychaud's bitters instead of angosturra

• Stocking a Better Bar   16 weeks 3 days ago

@bza - I like your article too. One way to control bottle count creep is to make yourself finish up a bottle that you took a chance on and didn't love before you take a chance on some other bottle. I suck at this, however.

• Stocking a Better Bar   16 weeks 6 days ago

I had it made by the same people who made my bar. I would think that any custom cabinetmaker/woodworker could do it for you - just make it a bit more than 2x as deep as your widest bitters bottle.

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   16 weeks 6 days ago

Where did you get the tray for the bitters on the bar top? I'd love one exactly like that for our expanding collection. Thanks!

• Father Tai'm   16 weeks 6 days ago

First thing I made on buying a bottle of Frangelico. I like it - the hazelnut and orange is a surprising combination. Will definitely make again.

• Corpse Reviver #2   16 weeks 6 days ago

It's good with Plymouth, even better with Bols Genever.

• Spring Cleaning   17 weeks 1 day ago

good catch, yes, its effects were affecting me this morning

• Spring Cleaning   17 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this - changed 45 cl to 45 ml, unless 15 ounces of pisco is appropriate.

Zachary

• Heisenberg's Blue Sky   17 weeks 1 day ago

Looking forward to trying one (oh, who am I kidding, several) this summer...

• Wander Back   17 weeks 3 days ago

I was stunned by how good this was, used Martini and Rossi. Not an intuitive match to me but I'm an amateur.

• Fernet Me Not   17 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks. I submitted this on my phone so I was having some issues with the drag down bars.

• Shaka   17 weeks 5 days ago

Nice flavor and the Okolehao stands out on the finish. Used fresh limes of the tree and had some lilikoi on the vine for passion fruit juice.

• Fernet Me Not   17 weeks 5 days ago

Curated this - changed maraschino cherry syrup to Maraschino liqueur, as per the picture. Sangue Morlacco is their cherry liqueur. Removed "fresh juice" from the lime... we assume fresh juices, etc...

Zachary

• Death & Taxes   17 weeks 6 days ago

Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

• Stocking a Better Bar   18 weeks 21 hours ago

I like your recommendations, especially the Weller 12. And while I agree that there are better things out there than Brizard's Apry and white creme de cacao, the TF is vanilla heavy and shows through in drinks, and I figure that it's probably easier to find Apry than Albicocca (I've never seen a bottle, but I'd love to try it) or R&W (which is good stuff).

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   18 weeks 23 hours ago

I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and passed one tiny-town liquor store after another. I had to keep kicking myself for not scheduling enough time to stop and explore. Seeing this article made me kick myself again. ;)

And, since you kinda asked for it, my 2 cents on recommended ingredients: for a standard-proof bourbon, I tend to fall back on Evan Williams 1783 or (as a wheated option) W.L. Weller 12 Year (or Special Reserve)... Also, regarding apricot and chocolate liqueurs... The Brizard stuff is okay, but a few better options are now both reasonably priced and fairly widely available. Rothman & Winter Apricot (and Peach, for that matter) seems pretty ubiquitous in both bars and liquor stores these days; personally, I prefer Luxardo Albicocca. Both are made the "proper" way, with apricot pits/kernels, and are around the same price. For chocolate, I can't recommend Tempus Fugit's Creme de Caçao highly enough. Rich and decadent, with a touch of vanilla. Sooo good.

• Stocking a Better Bar   18 weeks 1 day ago

This is the advanced course to the beginner's steps that I wrote on my own site:

But that advice obviously isn't for anyone who frequents this site. It's sad how intimidated people are by putting together a decent home bar, so stuff like this is so helpful - I know I would have loved an article like this when I was beginning my own bar!

• Williwaw Swizzle   18 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks Zachary!

• Nerina   18 weeks 3 days ago

Delicious. I added a dash of wormwood bitters to offset the sweet Meletti a bit. Really good.

• Williwaw Swizzle   18 weeks 3 days ago

It does now!

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   18 weeks 3 days ago

I would add Calle 23 as a great 100% agave tequila at an excellent (~$20) price point. And a peaty Scotch (like Bowmore Legend or Black Bottle at the budget end or Aberlour 10 or Lagavulin 16 a few shelves up) has a lot of use in contemporary cocktails, while something like Glenmorangie 10 or Speyburn 10 is both cheaper and more reminiscent of a standard Scotch profile than the sherried (and excellent) Balvenie and Aberlour. But these are quibbles. I'll forward this series of articles to friends who are interested in building their own home bars.