• Ace of Clubs   17 weeks 5 days ago

Welcome to the club! You're not only going to find great drinks and cocktail history here but really knowledgeable sounding boards for your ideas and great support from the KC community

• Ace of Clubs   17 weeks 6 days ago

Hello Rafe,

Welcome.

I see no reason why a light spiced rum wouldn't work. Obviously the cacao pairs well with the rich caramel and cocoa you get in an aged rum, but it should pair with the cinnamon/clove of an infused rum as well. Try it and let us know.

• Ace of Clubs   17 weeks 6 days ago

Hi guys, I'm new to the Kindred Cocktials process and this is actually my first ever comment on a recipe so please be nice.
    I'am currently a 20 year old bartender from Perth, Australia and have been in the industry for nearly 2 years now.
    I found this website as part of univeristy assignment where I to record my contibutions within a specific online community, so I chose KC.

I found this recipe whilst i was searching the datebase and decided to try it before a night out last thursday.
    I have always been a big fan of rum and rum cocktails so really enjoyed this! I was suprised to taste how well the creme de cacao and that chocolate flavour worked which the rum and lime juice especially.

Just wondering what the thoughts would be on using a Light Spiced Rum instead of the Anejo?

Overall great recipe and would make/drink again!

• Centaur   17 weeks 6 days ago

tasty even when we didn't have mint. Put lime zest for garnish

• Pasado de Moda   18 weeks 1 day ago

Glad you liked it. I just made a version with Licor 43 and maguey sweet sap, and I agree it's yum. Since almost nobody is going to be able to get their hands on a bottle of Nanys unless they go to Cabo or the like, I went ahead and updated the recipe to include Licor 43 as an option. Thanks for the note!

• Pasado de Moda   18 weeks 2 days ago

This is very good! We used Licor 43 for the vanilla. It's quite a large drink, but still seemed to be gone too soon ...

• Breakfast   18 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, I used a combination of chocolate and orange bitters and I like the subtle interplay 3.5

• Dutch Tulip   18 weeks 3 days ago

didn't really care for it, acidic sweetness from the orange juice didn't pair well with the vermouth and genever for my taste

• Honeymusk   18 weeks 3 days ago

Yum yum.

• Pasado de Moda   18 weeks 5 days ago

Done. I guess "slice" is descriptive enough.

• Pasado de Moda   18 weeks 5 days ago

Stew,

How much orange peel? Could you add it to the ingredient list?

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   18 weeks 6 days ago

Yeah, it's especially hard with liqueurs, as it's hard enough to finish a bottle of something you like when you are only adding an ounce at most each time you pour. With whiskey, I usually spend a week or so making old-fashioneds until a bottle is kicked and I can move on to something I like better.

• Ten Month Anniversary   18 weeks 6 days ago

Very nice Campari sour.

I was tempted to try a Mescal float. Maybe next time.

• The Crafty and Elusive Elk   19 weeks 2 hours ago

After getting into cocktails about six months ago, and keeping a log of everything I made, I wanted something special for my 100th drink.

The Crafty and Elusive Elk has an intriguing name and an exotic ingredient that I've never used before. Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Del Maguey Vida mezcal specifically for this (couldn't find Sombra).

I was not disappointed.

I'm craving another now.

• Skeleton Key   19 weeks 18 hours ago

Tasty

• Jungle Bird   19 weeks 1 day ago

A slight recipe tweak developed by Giuseppe Gonzalez of Painkiller (NYC) and that can be currently found on the menu at Milk & Honey NYC (thanks to head barman Theo Lieberman), has a dash more Campari (.75) and much less pineapple juice (.5) -- making rum and Campari the dominant flavours, a more bitter and alcoholic drink (also heavily reliant on the quality of the pineapple juice). It's the best variation I've tasted. This NYT piece explains it.

• Armistice   19 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice, dry-ish cocktail. A nice alternative to a Red Hook. I did not find 1/4 oz of each liqueur excessive. Lovely.

• The Hoskins Cocktail   19 weeks 2 days ago

made this with CioCiaro in place of the Amer Picon, and it is delicious - anything with CioCiaro is delicious!

• Fourth Regiment   19 weeks 3 days ago

also nice with Peychaud's bitters instead of angosturra

• Stocking a Better Bar   19 weeks 4 days ago

@bza - I like your article too. One way to control bottle count creep is to make yourself finish up a bottle that you took a chance on and didn't love before you take a chance on some other bottle. I suck at this, however.

• Stocking a Better Bar   19 weeks 6 days ago

I had it made by the same people who made my bar. I would think that any custom cabinetmaker/woodworker could do it for you - just make it a bit more than 2x as deep as your widest bitters bottle.

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   20 weeks 47 min ago

Where did you get the tray for the bitters on the bar top? I'd love one exactly like that for our expanding collection. Thanks!

• Father Tai'm   20 weeks 2 hours ago

First thing I made on buying a bottle of Frangelico. I like it - the hazelnut and orange is a surprising combination. Will definitely make again.

• Corpse Reviver #2   20 weeks 2 hours ago

It's good with Plymouth, even better with Bols Genever.

• Spring Cleaning   20 weeks 1 day ago

good catch, yes, its effects were affecting me this morning