• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   3 months 1 week ago

I tried Montenegro.  I thought the Campari would overpower it, but it surprisingly came through.

• Reply to: Cherry Blossom (St. Germain version)   by   3 months 1 week ago

Definitely halve the amount of Maraschino; (and I love overly Maraschino'ed cocktails as a rule); but otherwise nice drink..

• Reply to: Bloodhound   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This particular recipe may have been popularized by a modern Beefeater brand ambassador, but note that the Bloodhound is a classic cocktail appearing in Savoy. Most versions up the base gin to 2 oz and eschew maraschino.

I found this particular version to be blander than the 2 oz gin:1 oz french vermouth: 1 oz italian vermouth classic. It was not insipid, though & adding some sweetness to the classic (which may have used sugar-sweetened coulis anyway) isn't a bad idea.

Some variations use raspberries, which I'd be eager to try.

• Reply to: Ampersand Cocktail   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Ransom, Remy and Carpano Antica -- while these great tastes should taste great together, this drink is missing an acid component that a couple of extra shots of bitters can't help.  I have dry Curaçao but I'm not sure that would do the trickk

• Reply to: White Light   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

There are few cocktails that I rate 4.5 or 5: a Negroni or Manhattan are a few. Well, with this cocktail, I have to add one more. Truth be told, I was torn between rating White Light as 4.5 or 5.0. If I could use my own rating scale, I would rate it "Damn Good."

By the way, the gin I used is definitely topshelf. It is Tanqueray's Bloomsburg, which is labelled as "Limited Edition." If you're a gin drinker and can get this product, get it. You won't go wrong!

• Reply to: A More Perfect Union   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Well, with summer nearly over, a great many of you have missed a great summer drink, one that you can drink several of without getting bombed (because of the preponderanace of Lillet Blanc), and enjoy the nice mixture of fruit flavors (thanks for the apricot liqueur and the grapefruit zest. I waivered between rating it 4.0 or 4.5. I'll leave it to you, who may rate it 5.0. Regardless, imbibe and enjoy, summer or autumn!

• Reply to: Plymouth Express   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I found that a little but of salt improved this cocktail remarkably. I used unsweetened cold brew. It could be that some more dilution from icing freshly made espresso or hot coffee would have resulted in a similar improvement to the balance.

• Reply to: The Moonlight Cocktail   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Good, but it needed a little more gin and some orange bitters to really bring it together.

• Reply to: Pisco Patio   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Delicious on a hot summer evening! Didn't have grapefruit bitters; orange bitters worked nicely. Thanks for this recipe!

• Reply to: Too Much Too Little Too Late   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

For fans of the Negroni and its many variants, this is the drink to drink! It's slightly sweet with the Cocchi Americano blending together with the Apricot liqueur. And there's just a tad of bitterness from the Gran Classico. As for the gin, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury, a floral London Dry Gin that I, personally, like just a little more than Tanqueray Ten. And instead of Angostura Orange bitters, I used (on a whim) a dash of Blood Orange bitters by Bittermens. I don't think anything I did could make this drink taste any better-- it's a great drink on its own. If you don't believe me, try it! Especially all you Negroni lovers.

• Reply to: Montauk (NoMad)   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Very nice. I had some navy strength gin of my own construction, which happened to have spent some time in a small barrel. Worked well.

• Reply to: Professional   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<br />Two users made comments about Smith & Cross overproofed rum being satisfactory, but no comment about the bourbon used in the making of The Professional. That's too bad because I believe the taste of this drink will, to a great extent, also be determined by the bourbon used. Some bourbons can be mild and mellow (e.g., Makers' Mark), while other bourbons may have a stronger, heavier taste (e.g., Bulleit Bourbon). Then, too, one needs to consider the proof of the bourbon. With these thoughts in mind, I put together The Professional consisting of Smith & Cross rum (114 proof), Elijah Craig bourbon (114 proof), and Campari (48 proof).

The combination of rum and bourbon I used for my first-ever taste of The Professional, I rated as 4.0. I suspect that using a lighter and mellower bourbon, such as Makers' Mark, will result in a cocktail that will be rated differently. So my cautionary note is: Pick carefully BOTH the bourbon and the rum you will be using in this cocktail. Your choices may well make or break your liking of what I think is a very good cocktail.

• Reply to: The Reanimator   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The Reanimator is an interesting drink, with only two ingredients, aside from the garnish, which is for taste, more than color or prettiness. There was no suggestion as to the rye to use, so I chose WhistlePig (10 years) because it is a soft and mellow rye, with a distinctive taste. Another reason I chose WhistlePig is that I didn't want a rye, such as Rittenhouse, that would overwhelm the Amaro Nonino and spoil the drink. For those who don't like WhistlePig rye or can't afford it, I believe a brand of rye in the 80-90 proof range, such as Wild Turkey rye or Sazerac, will work well. The Reanimator is a superb evening drink, which will be quickly appreciated by rye drink lovers.

• Reply to: Long Island Old Fashioned   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This one was very surprising. I think the multi-liquor concoctions work better with more dilution than the old fashioned template offers...especially for initial enjoyment.

I made this with ingredients that I enjoy sipping straight (red breast, rutte old simon, espalon, paul masson vsop) , but it was pretty terrible initially: overly sweet and funky in a bad way. 1-starred it.

As the rock melted, it finally opened up and mingled & became much more approachable.  It became a great sipper. Changed to a 3 star, though considered higher.

I'd make again, but would probably eschew the template by adding a bit of water or soda from the get go. And cut the demerara syrup.

• Reply to: La Fin du Mot   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Excellent, though I think it works best with a little more gin and a bit less Suze.

• Reply to: Bonsoni   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

On a user tip, I merged the "Kill or Cure" into the Bonsoni - typically, I'd prefer the oldest instance of a drink to get credit. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bonsoni   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This is the same as Kill or Cure that has been on the site since 2013, but this version's attribution information is better.

It appears in Beta (née Rogue) Cocktails, where Punt e Mes is recommended.

• Reply to: Bottecchia   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Decent, but the flavors didn't really blend together when made as described. Adding about 30ml of apple brandy brought it together pretty nicely though.

• Reply to: Archipelago Swizzle   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Can the recipe be updated? If you refer to the source it calls for 1/2 oz of vanilla syrup and 1/4 oz of falernum. I cut back as per the previous comment to 1/4 and 1/4 and think the original strikes the right balance here. Will make this again soon!

• Reply to: The Pledge   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this drink - from a user comment, I reverted this to the original recipe at the cited link and added the substitutions in the notes. Also, I cleaned up the instructions, added the garnish and date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Pledge   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Having been served in North Carolina an un-named cocktail containing inter alia Rye, Chartreuse, and Averna, I searched for similar confections, and found The Pledge at the cited source.

I made both the original version, and the adaptation described above - although I made both with Bulleit Rye.

I think the two drinks are sufficiently different, that the original version should be listed here as The Pledge, and the version posted here in 2014 be given a slightly different name, or listed as a variant.

The Benedictine version was both smoother and sharper than the Averna version, which seemed to be richer and less herbal. The mouth feel of the original version is more substantial, also.

I thought both versions were good, and I will probably make one or the other again, at some point.

• Reply to: Expatriate   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Good. Benefits from more dilution than I would have guessed, given the relatively low ABV.

• Reply to: Kingston Negroni   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

<br />What a drink! Incredible in taste, and easy going down. I've imbibed the traditional Negroni, and I can't count all of its variations I've swallowed. Most were either good or very good. But this one is the best of them all. Even though the Smith & Cross rum is overproofed, it blends unbelieveabley well with the Campari and Vermouth. For the vermouth I used Vya sweet, a topshelf vermouth I have been using for years. I have the Carpano, and I will be using it the next time I make a Kingston Negroni--which will be within 8 hours. For those looking for a new mixology adventure, this is the one to take. Enjoy!

• Reply to: Hibernating Bear   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Made with Ketel 1 Granjenever and Old Krupnik. Upped the Genever to 2oz and garnished with a lemon wedge. Lovely!

• Reply to: The Vanishing Point   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Tastes pretty lifeless as written. I added 15 mL of cynar, which helped spice things up, but it's still missing something.