• Gin Basil Smash   16 weeks 3 days ago

Christian Dehm at http://barnotes.co/recipes/christian-s-basil-smash has a nice version that adds 1/2 oz. Aperol and 2oz tonic water.

• Old Fashioned (Late 20th Century)   16 weeks 4 days ago

This is well known in the Midwest as the Wisconsin Old Fashioned except use Korbel Brandy.

• Summer Hemingway   16 weeks 4 days ago

fantastic!

• Bitter Elder   16 weeks 4 days ago

Here's my take on this drink using the Campari/Aperol combo..

Lovely rose pink color with a very, very light nose that is gin forward with a touch of fruit sweetness from the Campari and Aperol - I’m somewhat stunned to not smell any of the St. Germaine. Sip is sweet and St. Germaine dominant on the front of the tongue while the midpalate sees the gin and its juniper notes come out immediately followed by the grapefruit-like bitterness from the Campari and Aperol. The back of the tongue and the swallow see that grapefruit profile grow stronger as the tart lemon juice develops. Amidst all these flavors the St. Germaine still darts in and out providing consistent sweet honey and lychee notes. The finish is pretty bitter with the most immediate flavor comparison being grapefruit juice with a hint of juniper and a good deal of elderflower. All in all, the grapefruit juice comparison is the most telling. Let’s say you were serving a customer at a bar and were thinking of something interesting to do for them with St. Germaine, or even trying to guide someone into drinking gin, and you asked them if they liked grapefruit juice, and they said yes, then you would no doubt have great success with this drink, however, if they say they don’t like grapefruit juice, then the chances are they will hate this drink.

• Wander Back   16 weeks 5 days ago

Wow. First time I've had the Mezcal and Cynar pairing and I can see why people say it's genius.

• Colonel Carpano   16 weeks 6 days ago

Yeah, I don't know why I had to ask. It was awesome with Punt e Mes. Less "chocolatey" than the original, but still outstanding.

• Hunting Rifle   16 weeks 6 days ago

I used ED15 because it's what I have right now, and a mix of Redbreast 12 and Tyrconnell (I'm down to the last ounce or so of Redbreast and guarding it jealously). Any ED 5 and up should do; they all have the banana note in common with the Irish (and, obviously, the liqueur).

• Hunting Rifle   16 weeks 6 days ago

What demarara do you use? I think I'll make this tonight.

• Romanoff's of Beverly Hills   16 weeks 6 days ago

Not a bad drink, I love the flavor. It is very simple, not much depth and is not very strong. Its more like drinking juice. I feel that it is missing something... I think next time I make it I'll add some cranberry juice for some bitter/sour to try and even things out. Overall, as it stands now, I would rate it a 3/5

• Colonel Carpano   17 weeks 8 hours ago

Probably very good, though very different. Punt e Mes has a heavy gentian bitterness and very little of Antica Formula's strong vanilla.

• Colonel Carpano   17 weeks 8 hours ago

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might be with Punt e Mes instead of Carpano Antica?

• Traidor   17 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly: changed the bitters from "Aged" to "Aromatic" to reflect picture and avoid confusion with their Aged Citrus bitters.

Zachary

• Bert Cooper   17 weeks 3 days ago

Yeah, I say "float" but most times I can't get these heavy liqueurs to stay above the rest of the drink (pouring them slowly down a barspoon helps). It's more of a "sink" I guess. Thanks for trying it!

• Colonel Carpano   17 weeks 4 days ago

Definitely a good one for slowly sipping and appreciating. Maybe a touch on the sweet side for my palette, so may have to adjust the Cynar and Antica formula down a touch. Flavor combination is brilliant and lends itself well to experimentation with bitters and garnish.

• Bert Cooper   17 weeks 4 days ago

I'm a big fan of the Aviation, and this is an interesting spin on it. Recommending doubling maraschino to 1/2 oz (that's how I take my Aviation as well).

Couldn't get the Yvette to float, it tends to plummet to the bottom. Still works, though.

• Bywater   17 weeks 6 days ago

This works really well with a liqueur made from bay leaves or seeds in place of the Charteuse, if you can find (or make) one.
    Green Chartreuse may be too strong - try yellow?

• Spruce Moose (get in smithers)   17 weeks 6 days ago

Yes sorry I got the importer and the product switched up, that is the correct ingredient.

• Spruce Moose (get in smithers)   18 weeks 4 hours ago

Do you mean the Zirbenz Stone Pine liqueur?

Zachary

• Arrack and a Hard Place   18 weeks 9 hours ago

Fantastic! Nice combination of flavored, very balanced. Wicked strong, sip responsibly.

• Montresor & Fortunato   18 weeks 3 days ago

• Montresor & Fortunato   18 weeks 3 days ago

Good idea, Leslie, and a perfect project for one with the skills of a man such as yourself. May I suggest grenadine, or another bloody colorant, for your Tell-Tale Hart? Suggestions for the series: Arthur Gordon Pimm's, Morella (with kirsch or Maraschino), Kingdom by the Sea (King's Ginger, maritime Scotch).

• Hanky Panky   18 weeks 3 days ago

I actually prefer this with a more "traditional" sweet vermouth--like Dolin or Martini & Rossi; Carpano has a bit to much vanilla for this drink IMO

• Montresor & Fortunato   18 weeks 3 days ago

Sounds tasty, Rafa. There must be potential for a series of Poe-based drinks. The Tell-Tale (Lemon) H(e)art, perhaps?

• Hanky Panky   18 weeks 4 days ago

trying to figure out what the "Hanky Panky Nohow" would be. Anyway, I enjoy this drink with a little more fernet.

• Thunder Shirt   18 weeks 6 days ago

Good! I have this neglected bottle of Bully Boy white dog and I really didn't expect to get a good result mixing it.