• Reply to: The Warden   by   4 months 4 days ago

Quick question - do you have a recipe for the mulberry syrup? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gin Blossom   by   4 months 5 days ago

Martin Doudoroff's Modern Classics cocktail app specifies 1.5 oz vermouth rather than .75 oz. As that's a lot of vermouth and the Food & Wine recipe seems more in line with what I've had at Clover Cluv, I'm leaving it at .75 oz vermouth for now.

• Reply to: Cherry Blossom   by   4 months 6 days ago

A nice looking sour with the machino flavour. Used slightly less Luxardo and slightly less lemon juice, but still could have gone less still, or added syrup.

• Reply to: Elephant Flip   by   4 months 6 days ago

I had this back when my bar hosted a Franklin pop-up in NYC. This is so much more delicious than it has any right to be. What looks like a hodgepodge of ingredients on paper comes together into rich deliciousness on the tongue. Recommended.

• Reply to: Diamondback (Yellow)   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this. Fixed the instructions - this is stirred. Added Notes, history, page number in the citation. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Diamondback (Yellow)   by   4 months 1 week ago

I think this drink is meant to be stirred.

• Reply to: Fontana   by   4 months 1 week ago

Actually reminds me more of a Bijou than a Manhattan (although it's not much like either). I made it with Bulleitt rye but the other flavors somewhat overwhelmed the rye.

• Reply to: Fancy Free   by   4 months 1 week ago

Death & Co. specs Rittenhouse rye for this.

• Reply to: Ramos Gin Fizz   by   4 months 1 week ago

Add the cream after the dry shake. This will allow the other ingredients to foam up as quickly and beautifully as in any other non-dairy egg white sour. Shake it again with cream and ice, and very slowly top off the drink with the freshest soda water you have, pausing to let it settle, and then adding more to foam a cloud of foam above the rim of the glass. Don't mar the presentation with straws or garnishes of any kind. Bask and enjoy.

• Reply to: Separatist Gimlet   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this: rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Hartwood Cocktail   by   4 months 1 week ago

Thanks!

• Reply to: Hartwood Cocktail   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Rewrote instructions and shrub instructions to avoid copyright issues. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Polka Dot Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this: rewrote instructions to avoid copyright, changed "brandied cherry, Luxardo" to "cherry, Luxardo" (Luxardo cherries aren't brandied). Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Maximalist Green Swizzle   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

In this article he had 1 tsp of green creme de menthe also:

• Reply to: To Hell with Spain   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Not sure the absinthe adds a complementary flavor. I would try omitting it next time.

• Reply to: Winter's Blush   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

It's a bit odd at first but it grows on you. At first I thought that the Chartreuse came on a bit strong but by sip two or three my objections subsided. It's a good, old-school tasting cocktail and I'll be putting it into rotation. Also, nice presentation. Edit: I read bsp as Tbsp so my version had 1/2 oz of simple syrup. I liked it though.

• Reply to: Martinez   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Death & Co Martinez is

2 oz Old Tom (1 1/2 Hayman;s, 1/2 Ransom)

1 oz Sweet Vermouth (House, split Punt e Mes and Dolin Rouge)

1/2 teaspoon Luxardo Maraschino

1/2 teaspoon Kirsch (Massenez Kirsch Vieux Cherry Brandy)

1 dash house orange bitters

lemon twist.

• Reply to: Martini   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I like this variant from David Wondrich's Imbibe, called Formula #1 (Turf Club). It's a lot sweeter, but I tend to like things on the sweet side.

1.5 oz Old Tom Gin

1.5 oz Italian Vermouth

2-3 dash bitters (I used angostura, but calls for Peruvian)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with what I had on hand (JB bourbon and no thyme).  Nice cocktail, but I can see how the thyme would really make it complete.  I may revise my rating up after I try it with some thyme.

• Reply to: Winter Waltz   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Tasty

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this - it now agrees with the Del Maguey site and Fred Yarm (at the link) - previously, it was 2:1/2:1/2:1

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

The Del Maguey website has this as an ounce each of Vida, fernet, heering, and lime, topped with ginger beer.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   5 months 6 days ago

An excellent drink!  I've been making this with Rye instead of bourbon - Jim Beam's of late.  I also tried a variation using Jim Beam, Amaro Nonino, and (instead of Aperol) an aperitivo I found in Paris when I was (unsuccessfully) looking for a bottle of Select- Poli's "Airone Rosso."  It worked very well. (The Italian shopkeeper in Paris told me that Airone Rosso is very similar to Select.) I also sometimes add 1/8 to 1/4 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur. And I sometimes substitute Ramazotti for the Nonino. There you have it.

• Reply to: Nation Of Two   by   5 months 6 days ago

There is a lot going on, the pepper is nice as complexity. Used buffalo trace bourbon which is already a little peppery, so that add to it.

• Reply to: Apricot and Averna Bourbon Sour   by   5 months 6 days ago

Sort of an Averna Jimjam with a bourbon backbone.