• Reply to: Casino   by   4 months 1 week ago

Do yourself a favor and drop the amount of maraschino to a scant 1/4 oz. Add a bar spoon of simple to sweeten it up slightly.

• Reply to: South of No North   by   4 months 1 week ago

The reference states 1 oz cold-brew coffee where this one states 1 oz bitters.

• Reply to: Martini (Modern: 5:1)   by   4 months 1 week ago

<br />Lordy! Lordy! What a drink. This was my first martini, and I'm on the far side of 21 years. But let me explain why I liked this drink so much. First, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury gin, which I like even more than Tangqueray Ten. Although Bloomsbury's a London dry gin, it has a great bouquet and it goes down very easily. Now here's where I deviated from the called for dry vermouth. I used, instead, Dolin Blanc (a semi-sweet vermouth), and finished it up with a lemon twist, making sure I had a nice amount of lemon flavoring expressed on top of the cocktail before I dropped the twist in. Light, tasty, and oh so easy going down. A memorable drink!

• Reply to: Early Dismissal   by   4 months 1 week ago

Made an approximation of this with spiced rum and hibiscus cardamom syrup from Portland Soda Works, but the result was great! A bit tart.

• Reply to: Aristocrat   by   4 months 1 week ago

This drink caught me by surprise, mostly because--I think--I've been drinking and loving amaro-based drinks for the last month. The Aristocrat is decidedly different from those wonderful amari; it's sweeter and lighter in taste. I would drink the Aristocrat before dinner or on a lazy do-nothing afternoon.

There are several reasons why I like this drink: The greatest reason is the St. George terroir gin, which is exquisite to say the least. Its label reads like a who's who in the botanical world: "Douglas fir, California bay laurel, fennel, coastal sage, orris root, angelica root, juniper berries, and other profoundly aromatic botanical ingredients..." Pair a great gin with a top-shelf bianco vermouth by Dolin, and Cynat, plus subtle celery bitterrs, and you have a drink making you want another. So have it, and enjoy it!

In closing, I should add that those who like that amaro bitterness will like this drink because of the St. George gin in combination with the Cynar. If you want less bitterness, use a botanical gin suchs as Tanqueray Bloomsbury or Ten, or Megellen Blue. The Aristocrat is, in my opinion, a cocktail for overyone.

• Reply to: Tarleton's Resurrection   by   4 months 1 week ago

a tad sweet/heavy for me as is, would up the lemon juice I think if I make again

• Reply to: Raton Canyon Cocktail   by   4 months 1 week ago

I can sum it up in three words: A FANTASTIC DRINK! I rated this drink as a five, something I raarely do. I rate a drink as a five when: the drink is relatively easy to fix, and does not take much time to prepare. Also, the ingredients are easy to obtain, and they can be used in a variety of drinks (I hate to buy an ingredient that is somewhat pricey--say $30 on up--and is used only for that drink); in short the ingredients are versatile, and a will not lanquish on the shelf for years, seldom used. Also, the drink is inherently tasty, it's not one that you have to "aquire" a taste for. Finally, it's a drink that is popular with the general public and has been popular for several decades--in short, not a fad.

Drinks like the martini, or the old fashioned, or the Rob Roy are examples of drinks that I would rate a five, even though I, personally don't care for dry martinis. In my opinion, it's easy to justify a five rating for The Raton Canyon Cocktail: Only a few ingredients are needed, all of the ingredients are easy to find and buy; individually they aren't real expensive, and each ingredient is versatile, i.e. each one can be used in a variety of different cocktails In short, it's a very tasty drink, with only a few ingredients that blend together simply marverously into what I describe as a truly unforgettable.cocktail. Yes, with no doubt, the Raton Canyon Cocktail truly deserves a five rating. Bottoms up, but slowly, so you can enjoy a truly unforgettable drink.

• Reply to: Bartlett Tartlet   by   4 months 1 week ago

Made with St George Pear Brandy, Pierre Ferrand 1840 and Combier Triple Sec. Divine. Like rich pear drops with a satisfying alcoholic warmth that lingers. Perfect accentuation of a beautiful pear note.

• Reply to: Mother-In-Law   by   4 months 1 week ago

It's a nice drink and I'll make it again, but the quantities are odd. Halve it and you end up with (nearly) two proper drinks.

• Reply to: Bad Word   by   4 months 1 week ago

This is a drink about which I have mixed feelings. On my first sip, I found the drink to be intensely bitter, with my first impulse to be "throw the damn thing out!" However, after several more sips, I found the drink still to be bitter, like most Nargoni-like drinks, but I found myself rather liking the drink. For those of you who read the prior comments, let me clarify several points: one person said the drink was too "unctuous," which means greasy or fatty, which this drink is not. Another person said it was sublime, which means awe-inspring, This drink is not that, either.

How would I describe it? Here are three ways: (1) A drink needing to get used to, (2) one that's intense tasting, and (3) one that's bitter, sour, or tart--take your pick. Now, am I saying don't bother with this drink? No! Not by any means. But I am saying the following: First, be prepared for a bitter and/or tart tasting drink. After all, consider the ingredients: Chartruese, lime, and gran classico. All say bitter/sour/tart. Second, like me, you may be inclined to say, "Yuck! This drink is terrible. I say, take a few more sips; you'll probably, as I did, end up rather liking the drink. Now, you're probably wondering how I rated the drink; Well, I rated it a _____.

<br />
    An interesting drink, one that I would probably put into the "after dinner" category. A little on the sweet side, with what I would describe as having a somewhat "thick" feel in the mouth--but not unpleasant by any means. For the rye, I used top-shelf 6 year-old Sazerac rye. I agree with one person who thought that the person who posted this cocktail should have specified the bitters to be used. I used black walnut as suggested by another person, but I was not entirely satisfied with the outcome. While it was not a bad choice for a bitters with this cocktail, I think there's probably a better choice. I just don't know what it is!

Regardless, the basic drink is a good one, however I would not use an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse because such ryes can overwhelm the other ingredients. Some solid ryes in the 80 to 95 proof range to consider are Wild Turkey Rye (81 proof), Michter's (90 proof), and Bulleit Small Batch rye (95proof). Now to search for a bitters that will complement the flavors in this otherwise great cocktail!

• Reply to: Drink My Blood   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

A drier version with Solerno instead of syrup

• Reply to: Pear Collins   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Used rothmans pear liqueur instead of pear juice and skipped the syrup to makes a very delicate and dry cocktail.  Fabulous

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I know the comment is 2 1/2 years old but I was always befuddled but the person above bashing Smith & Cross, a highly regarded rum and one I find unique and interesting.  He evokes Ed Hamilton in his trash talk so I dug around Ed's Ministry of Rum web site looking for his scathing review and pretty much what I found was this...

"...this is not a sipping rum by contemporary standards but rather reflects the tastes and production of the 19th century.  Used sparingly in cocktails it adds a broad dimension to both the aroma and taste in cocktails".

Fair enough...  I'm not much of a rum sipper anyway but for me this is spot-on.

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated from 1 to 2 drinks as it seems plenty big enough for two. Also fixed capitalization and tweaked up instructions to conform to style guidelines.

• Reply to: Amer Picon Cocktail   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This is the ideal cocktail for those who like a sweet but not too sweet drink, and those who like a chocolate-like taste. I suspect that's about 80% of adult Americans. I used Amer Picon and one of my favorite top-shelf Italian vermouths, Contratto Rosso. This is a drink that deserves a top-shelf vermouth, whatever that brand may be. And it's definitely an after-dinner drink, one to be lingered over and enjoyed. Simple to make, and easy to enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just revisited this one using Bluecoat, Cocchi di Torino, and Cynar 70. Mixed it once as posted and it was very nice: the C70 intensified the bitterness and ABV and in so doing balanced nicely against the hefty maraschino. Mixed it again with 2 oz gin and reduced the maraschino to 1 tsp. Better? Maybe. YOU make the call. Glad you dug it, wthrift.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

A worthy addition to the range, I think. Used Bonal in place of Maurin.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

<br />I'm surprised that this drink was posted two years ago and, until now, no one has commented on it or rated it. This is a lovely, tasty drink, whose ingredients blend together well despite being so disparate. There is not, for example, the marked bitterness associated with Campari or gin's Juniiper. But the sweet vermouth makes its presence known despite its relatively small quantity. For this drink I used all top-shelf brands: Tanqueray Malacca gin, Contratto sweet vermouth, Character (a medium dry Amontillado sherry by Sandeman), and, of course, Campari. For those who are not fond of a dry sherry taste, I dscovered by accident that using only 1 1/4 oz of Amontillado results in a somewhat sweeter, but still delicious cocktail. Imbibe!

• Reply to: Golden Lion   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

<br />A surprisingly pleasant drink, one that goes down easily in a hot, late afternoon, just before dinner, or one to drink at a barbeque. I used an Aquivit by Linie, not North Shore. I have little experience with Aquivits to know if there is much difference between Linie and North Shore. Regardless, I recommend this drink to those who like Aquivit. Dolin vermouth is one of my favorites vermouths (it is in the $16 range), and I recommend the Dolin vermouths heartily. My only suggestion for this drink is to use a skinny 1/2 oz Galliano. A full 1/2 oz of Galliano tends to overwhelm the other ingredients and make for a drink that some may find too sweet. Other than that, make and enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Excellent as written using antica formula.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I considered calling it "The Devil in Miss Negroni" but worried that might be a bit gauche...

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Also there's Joaquin Simo's version :

2.0 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac

.75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

.75 oz lemon juice

1 barspoon 2:1 Demerara sugar syrup (how much is a "barspoon" anyway?)

• Reply to: Waterloo   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Nice and refreshing; doubling the lime juice doesn't hurt.

• Reply to: Scotch Cringe aka Lavender Cadaver   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Very drinkable, but I just used Maker's Mark instead of scotch (I found it ended up being great if you don't like the taste of whisky, but want to make a drink with it anyway).