• Attention   20 weeks 15 hours ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.

• Attention   20 weeks 15 hours ago

Recipe says 1940s origin, but this cocktail appeared in a 1916 guide (Recipes for Mixed Drinks by Hugo R. Ensslin), according to classicmixology.com.

• Wray of Light   20 weeks 1 day ago

Than drinking it straight from the bottle, probably. Which I guess is what the Bum did in the days before he invented his Hart of Darkness.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   20 weeks 1 day ago

I updated the instructions to specify that you shake with ice, baby, though unfortunately I think KC frowns on mixin' cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar.

• Wray of Light   20 weeks 1 day ago

safer?

• The Brave   20 weeks 1 day ago

I wonder if they did that because it's hard to get sotol in many places, similar to why the NYT published the Oaxaca Old Fashioned with Ango instead of mole bitters.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   20 weeks 1 day ago

Serve with fingers, or another meal.

• The Brave   20 weeks 1 day ago

Ha. I'll have to try it with the Sotol then. I keep hearing great things about this drink from Texan friends.

• The Brave   20 weeks 1 day ago

Rafa,

Yeah, but Punch is wrong ;) The Sotol makes the drink.

Zachary

• The Brave   20 weeks 1 day ago

PUNCH published a slightly different recipe substituting blanco tequila for the sotol: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-brave/

• Hemingway Stripper Pole   20 weeks 3 days ago

Looks great. Might try this one out on a guest. I'll have to change the name lest they also get the image of Papa Hemingway riding a pole in their heads.

• Avioncito   20 weeks 6 days ago

Finallt got around to trying this. Really good. I'm not a huge tequila fan but this one is a keeper. I did end up bumping the tequila to 1.5 oz to cut the sweetness from the amari

• Eva Peron   21 weeks 5 hours ago

Revisited after a couple years in an effort to finish off my bottle of Canton, and I still think this is an amazing drink. I do prefer it with a bit less lime however, and the last couple of times I made it I added a little orgeat since it plays so well with the Fernet Branca and the ginger. I amend my previous comments about the ginger beer being optional- it's a little syrupy without. However, the drink is on the sweet side and the ginger beer only adds to that. I've heard that King's ginger liqueur has more ginger flavor than the Canton that I finally finished, so I wonder if that with regular soda water would give enough ginger kick without getting too sweet.

• Eclipse   21 weeks 7 hours ago

Fixed, thanks, and I love that you proofread cocktail recipes at 8 in the morning. Keep on!

• Eclipse   21 weeks 7 hours ago

Haven't tried it with reposado, but imo there are no two more different age statements than reposado and añejo, they are practically different liquors. That said, I don't see why reposado wouldn't work in this drink as long as you had something hefty and peppery rather than smooth and light. It would definitely be a different drink, though.

• California Widow   21 weeks 8 hours ago

Tried this tonight given all the recent comments. Delicious blend of diverse flavors. Will be ideal for the fall.

• Eclipse   21 weeks 8 hours ago

I don't have any Anejo. Is it worth trying with a Reposado or will it be too different?

• California Widow   21 weeks 14 hours ago

Nothing unsophisticated at all about that! I made this to showcase the interplay of pear/Benny/green Chartreuse/elderflower, with the effect that it does tend to be on the sweet side. Your solution's a good one, and I made a similar choice with a sour: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/au-pair

There are other ways to balance the sugar here that are probably worth trying: verjus, citric acid, more bitters, increasing the gin, etc. Or it could be made at half size and drunk quickly.

• California Widow   21 weeks 14 hours ago

• Eclipse   21 weeks 20 hours ago

Fantastic drink. On a typographical note, the creator's name is spelled "Robitschek" I believe

• California Widow   21 weeks 1 day ago

I was excited to try this, as I like St Germain with both pear and herbal liqueurs. Very good, though I admit my unsophisticated palette wanted some acidity to balance the liqueurs so I ended up adding 1/2 oz lemon juice.

• Colonel Carpano   21 weeks 1 day ago

Works pretty well with other variations of amaro and bitters. I like Ramazotti instead of Cynar here, for example.

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   21 weeks 1 day ago

Booker's or Old Grand Dad 114 should do. By all means make a 2:1 China:whiskey drink and report back :-)

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   21 weeks 1 day ago

Awww. I was kinda thinking the China would be the reversed "spirit". Still, I'm oall over this, although Stagg is a bit dear. Maybe Booker's?

• Bella Donna   21 weeks 4 days ago

Made per Dan's suggestion with no simple. Could add still more sour. As is the amaretto dominates and lime settles in at the end with just a touch of real sourness. Not a bad use for an ancient bottle of amaretto.