• Reply to: Ford Cocktail   by   3 months 4 days ago

I agree that the gin is lost in this recipe. I bumped up the gin to 1.75 oz and it was much better.

• Reply to: Rhubarb Jimjam   by   3 months 5 days ago

Dan likes 'em tart! Tres bon!

• Reply to: Picket Fence   by   3 months 6 days ago

Great drink! We liked it a bit better with equal parts bourbon and apple cider.

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   3 months 6 days ago

There was no rhyme or reason to the naming of this drink. For some reason, while sipping on it and brainstorming cocktail names, this song popped into my head... Also, the (arguably) best R.E.M.-related cocktail name (and another favorite album) was already taken... ;)

• Reply to: Can't Get There From Here   by   3 months 6 days ago

A drink named (?) after a song from one of my favorite albums, featuring three or four of my favorite ingredients? Yeah. Definitely trying this.

• Reply to: Jardin Féerique   by   3 months 1 week ago

Always hate to be negative but not really a fan. In fairness, did not have Death's Door on hand so used Berkshire Mountain Greylock. Not surprisingly, the absinthe dominates. Couldn't see serving as an alternative to a G&T.

• Reply to: Beton   by   3 months 1 week ago

I like an ounce of vodka in there too, punches it up nicely.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I don't have Yellow Chartreuse so I made it with Green. Does that make it an Extra Greenpoint? Also subbed VYA sweet for the Punt e Mes which strangely unavailable in PA. Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

• Reply to: Gotham Nights   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm gonna update the recipe. I think I meant for it to be 1/2 oz coffee & 1/4 oz walnut, instead of the other way around. I use Nocello in this too, and you're right: it's VERY sweet & powerful... Also, I use Luxardo Espresso Liqueur which is more "coffee-y" and less sweet than some others, helping punch through that wall of walnut.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• Reply to: The Coal Miner   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

excellent drink. I added 1/2 ounces of Fresh grapefruit juice but excellent.

• Reply to: Cocktail à la Louisiane   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A favorite. I use a Herbsaint rinse and Punt e Mes vermouth.

• Reply to: Gotham Nights   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I find that walnut liqueurs can be overpowering, to the point where you loose all other flavors. So, I reduced this to 1/4 oz. I love it! Not overly sweet, and actually the first walnut drink I will make again! Oh, and I used Nocello. Perhaps Nocello is a sweeter walnut liqueur.

• Reply to: À la Diable   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Au diable! I knew I misremembered. Thanks Frog. I meant "a la," a phrase I think I got from Nabokov, but now I like au better.

• Reply to: À la Diable   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Rafa - Depending on what you mean, it's going to be either "à la diable" (in haste) or "au diable" (to hell with).
    :-)

• Reply to: Norman Conquest   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

So it's like a Vieux Carre for the North Atlantic (smoky/peaty more than spicy). Lovely. I used Lagavulin 16, because it's what I had, + Peychaud's. The Drambuie would replace the Benedictine so sounds intriguing, but I don't have any on hand.

• Reply to: Karmic Sutures   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I love this drink. The more sublime the tequila the better.

• Reply to: Coasta de Morte   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the Cocchi suggestions - was out of Lillet and Cocchi and used Campari instead. Used Kilchoman Islay whiskey and drink was awesome - nice and smokey with great complexity!

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

12-04-2014...tried a further experiment, adding 3 drops of Brooklyn Hemispherical's Spicy Charred Pineapple bitters...Good Choice, accentuated the grapefruit notes even further.

Another batch, using Peychaud's, wasn't as successful, yielding a drink that lost the grapefruit and turned into more of a medicinal concoction.

• Reply to: Brave Bootlegger   by   4 months 2 days ago

4 out 5. Interesting favors, considering I subbed out Crater rye for the Rittenhouse as I'd just finished off the last of the orphan bottle we had. Also needed to eyeball some Zaya 12year and a little Creme de cacao and I doubt Mozart anything will be available in Hawaii anytime soon. (somehow we survive)

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #2   by   4 months 2 days ago

This is my in-laws' favorite cocktail. I made it for them once and they loved it so much that they bought all the ingredients and my father-in-law now has a card with the recipe printed on it so he can get it made at any bar they go to.

Lesson: make this for people who don't drink a lot of cocktails.

• Reply to: Georgita   by   4 months 5 days ago

Made this last night with Rothman's apricot liqueur. Can't compare it to the peach liqueur version as don't have on hand, but the apricot version was tasty.

• Reply to: Frontier Psychiatrist   by   4 months 6 days ago

Perhaps this should be served in a coconut, no?

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   4 months 6 days ago

Oh, fellas and ladies...this is one hellllllllllluvvva drink! Did it with Bombay, half Aperol half Campari. Awesome color, fantastic flava!

We have a restaurant here in Chicago called Parsons, they specialize in fried chicken and fish, and feature a totally fantastic Frozen Negroni. I'ma ask them if they'd consider putting a batch of these through their frosty machine! It'd be perfect.

• Reply to: Frontier Psychiatrist   by   4 months 1 week ago

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!

• Reply to: Frontier Psychiatrist   by   4 months 1 week ago