• Montresor & Fortunato   13 weeks 3 days ago

Good idea, Leslie, and a perfect project for one with the skills of a man such as yourself. May I suggest grenadine, or another bloody colorant, for your Tell-Tale Hart? Suggestions for the series: Arthur Gordon Pimm's, Morella (with kirsch or Maraschino), Kingdom by the Sea (King's Ginger, maritime Scotch).

• Hanky Panky   13 weeks 3 days ago

I actually prefer this with a more "traditional" sweet vermouth--like Dolin or Martini & Rossi; Carpano has a bit to much vanilla for this drink IMO

• Montresor & Fortunato   13 weeks 4 days ago

Sounds tasty, Rafa. There must be potential for a series of Poe-based drinks. The Tell-Tale (Lemon) H(e)art, perhaps?

• Hanky Panky   13 weeks 5 days ago

trying to figure out what the "Hanky Panky Nohow" would be. Anyway, I enjoy this drink with a little more fernet.

• Thunder Shirt   13 weeks 6 days ago

Good! I have this neglected bottle of Bully Boy white dog and I really didn't expect to get a good result mixing it.

• Admiral Schley Punch   13 weeks 6 days ago

I'd think a scant ounce of dark rum plus a bar spoon of Lemon Hart 151 would work.

Zachary

• Admiral Schley Punch   13 weeks 6 days ago

The Cruzan is hard to substitute for; generally, I would use another dark rum (Gosling's or one of the Jamaicans will do) and perhaps add a touch of actual molasses to the drink.

In this particular case, another dark rum will work fine, although it won't make its presence known quite as much.

• Admiral Schley Punch   13 weeks 6 days ago

Interested to see how the Cruzan Rum with its blackstrap molasses and the hint of coffee and dark liquorice flavours within works together with the Bourbon.
    Could you substitute the Cruzan with another Dark Rum? Would it effect the flavour?

Anyway cant wait to make and try this on the weekend!

• Ace of Clubs   14 weeks 21 hours ago

Hey Guys

Thanks for the support, its much appreciated.

Really sound advice and comments, I get where your theory.
    When I try it ill let you know!

• Railcar #91   14 weeks 22 hours ago

Curated this a bit: removed fresh squeezed from the lemon juice - we assume that. Moved the orange foam recipe to the notes section.

Zachary

• Ace of Clubs   14 weeks 23 hours ago

Welcome to the club! You're not only going to find great drinks and cocktail history here but really knowledgeable sounding boards for your ideas and great support from the KC community

• Ace of Clubs   14 weeks 1 day ago

Hello Rafe,

Welcome.

I see no reason why a light spiced rum wouldn't work. Obviously the cacao pairs well with the rich caramel and cocoa you get in an aged rum, but it should pair with the cinnamon/clove of an infused rum as well. Try it and let us know.

• Ace of Clubs   14 weeks 1 day ago

Hi guys, I'm new to the Kindred Cocktials process and this is actually my first ever comment on a recipe so please be nice.
    I'am currently a 20 year old bartender from Perth, Australia and have been in the industry for nearly 2 years now.
    I found this website as part of univeristy assignment where I to record my contibutions within a specific online community, so I chose KC.

I found this recipe whilst i was searching the datebase and decided to try it before a night out last thursday.
    I have always been a big fan of rum and rum cocktails so really enjoyed this! I was suprised to taste how well the creme de cacao and that chocolate flavour worked which the rum and lime juice especially.

Just wondering what the thoughts would be on using a Light Spiced Rum instead of the Anejo?

Overall great recipe and would make/drink again!

• Centaur   14 weeks 2 days ago

tasty even when we didn't have mint. Put lime zest for garnish

• Pasado de Moda   14 weeks 4 days ago

Glad you liked it. I just made a version with Licor 43 and maguey sweet sap, and I agree it's yum. Since almost nobody is going to be able to get their hands on a bottle of Nanys unless they go to Cabo or the like, I went ahead and updated the recipe to include Licor 43 as an option. Thanks for the note!

• Pasado de Moda   14 weeks 5 days ago

This is very good! We used Licor 43 for the vanilla. It's quite a large drink, but still seemed to be gone too soon ...

• Breakfast   14 weeks 6 days ago

Nice, I used a combination of chocolate and orange bitters and I like the subtle interplay 3.5

• Dutch Tulip   14 weeks 6 days ago

didn't really care for it, acidic sweetness from the orange juice didn't pair well with the vermouth and genever for my taste

• Honeymusk   14 weeks 6 days ago

Yum yum.

• Pasado de Moda   15 weeks 11 hours ago

Done. I guess "slice" is descriptive enough.

• Pasado de Moda   15 weeks 1 day ago

Stew,

How much orange peel? Could you add it to the ingredient list?

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   15 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah, it's especially hard with liqueurs, as it's hard enough to finish a bottle of something you like when you are only adding an ounce at most each time you pour. With whiskey, I usually spend a week or so making old-fashioneds until a bottle is kicked and I can move on to something I like better.

• Ten Month Anniversary   15 weeks 2 days ago

Very nice Campari sour.

I was tempted to try a Mescal float. Maybe next time.

• The Crafty and Elusive Elk   15 weeks 2 days ago

After getting into cocktails about six months ago, and keeping a log of everything I made, I wanted something special for my 100th drink.

The Crafty and Elusive Elk has an intriguing name and an exotic ingredient that I've never used before. Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Del Maguey Vida mezcal specifically for this (couldn't find Sombra).

I was not disappointed.