• Reply to: Moto Guzzi   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

<b What a drink! Just two ingredients, but they mix well and make a satisfying drink. I polished off my bottle of Booker's with this recipe, but it was worth it. Some might like a sweeter vermouth other than Punt e Mes, which will be a matter of taste, just as some might like a different overproof bourbon.

Regardless, changing overproof bourbon brands and using a different sweet vermouth will probably still result in a cocktail that will satisfy most bourbon lovers. By the way, I added two drops of Fee's Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters, with a pleasant improvement. Others may prefer a different bitter; experimentation is the key. I rated the Moto Guzzi between 3.5-4.0.

• Reply to: Dale Cooper   by   4 months 4 days ago

Big +1 to using Heering instead of Maraschino. One of my favorite drinks of all time when made this way!

• Reply to: Pera Rosa   by   4 months 4 days ago

Nice - same basic ingredients - had to substitute absolut pear vodka for the eau de vie.

• Reply to: Thamyris   by   4 months 5 days ago

<br />Thamyris is one of those lovely drinks that is easy to love and yet you don't know why. There is a multiplicity of flavors that come through, without clashing. For this libation I would recommend a gin that is soft, easy on the juniper. Martin Miller's and Knickerbocker Barrel Gin come to mind. Tanqueray Ten should do well, also because it emphasizes floral and citris flavors; but not Tanqueray, which is heavy on juniper.

To make this cocktail I used Knickerbocker Barrerl Gin and King's Ginger Liqueur, plus the other named ingredients. Thamyris is a great before or after dinner drink--a somewhat heavy in flavor drink, but with the right gin, it will go down like water--only more satisfying. I rated it 4.0.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   4 months 5 days ago

A bit too sweet, I think. Still very nice. Will try slightly different proportions at a later time.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   4 months 5 days ago

• Reply to: White Oak Propeller   by   4 months 6 days ago

Curated this slightly - moved the long notes from the body of the drink to the notes section, so it doesn't blow out line breaks. Changed 3 2/5 oz vermouth to 3/4 - I'm guessing this is what you want to meet the Paper Airplane? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   4 months 1 week ago

Very nice. I wasn't going to devote an entire bottle of Campari to occasional home use, so I just floated a star anise.  A little more infusion time may have been betetr, but it was a good drink anyway.  Conveniently, 20 star anise in 750ml is near enough to one in 30ml (1oz).

• Reply to: Madhattan   by   4 months 1 week ago

<br />This is an interesting, quite drinkable cocktail whose full potential has not yet been realized. I read the comment by one user who said that perhaps another amaro should be used. The comment about Jack Daniels Black (which I'm inclined to use when the recipe doesn't specify the bourbon) gave me pause. So I decided to make some changes, and see if they would do any better

I decided to use a lighter tasting rye than, say, Rittenhouse or Bulleit, so I chose WhistlePig 10 rye (100 proof) which is lighter and less dry than many other ryes (it's comprable to Templeton 4 years rye in that regard). I also added a moderate amount of lemon zest--you'll have to eyeball what a moderate amount is-- and the peel. I found the resultant drink to be quite satisfying. Zwack's bitterness was kept under control, and Amaro Lucano brought an acceptable amount of sweetness to the drink. I rated the cocktail, as I constructed it, as 3.5.

As is, the Madhattan is a satisfying pre-dinner drink, and with additional modifications, I believe this cocktail should ultimately be rated at least at 4.0. Suggestions for improvements, please.

• Reply to: Vigoroso   by   4 months 1 week ago

Another Negroni-style cocktail. It seems like there's no end to them. And thank goodness, I say! It is true that some of these variations taste alike, or at least so similar that it's hard to tell the difference between one and the other. Fortunately the "Vigoroso" does taste substantialy different, thanks to the barrel-aged Genever. Otherwise, it would be another same old same old.

When I considered the ingredients of the posted recipe, I thought the cocktail would be too sweet. With that in mind, I made a major change that resulted in a more balanced tasting cocktail. The change was to measure 1/3 oz of Aperol, and then add enough Campari to bring the mixture up to the 3/4 oz mark. The Campari added a much needed bitterness to bring a balance to the drink. The minor change had to do with the orange bitters. Instead of Regans' #6, I used Fee Bros gin barrel-aged orange bitters. I believe it was this year that Fee Bros put this product on the market. Its orange flavor is akin to Angustora orange bitters, which has a poignant but natural tasting orange flavor. Prior to the introduction of their gin barrel-aged orange bitter, the only orange bitters Fee Bros sold was its West Indies orange bitters, with an orange flavor that is subtle and somewhat sweet.

All in all, the Vigoroso is worth trying. If you think the posted recipe will be too sweet, or you find that it IS too sweet, add some Campari. But whether you use the posted recipe, or modify it, I believe you'll enjoy this Negroni-style cocktail. I rated the modified recipe at 4.0. Sometime soon, I'll try the recipe unchanged to see what I think of it. Who knows? It may be as good or better unmodified.

• Reply to: Pearls Before Swine   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Added the ice. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Last Word   by   4 months 1 week ago

substitute lime for lemon and you have "Final Word"

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   4 months 1 week ago

<br />A very nice after-dinner drink, with a delicious multiplicity of flavors.

I used Starbucks coffee liqueuer (it's OK, but I wonder how well Kahlua would work, with its rum base), the Mezcal comes through despite the heaviness of Starbucks, as does the cherry flavoring from Herring. The Black Walnut bitters by Fee Bros is one of my favorite non-fruit, non-aromatic bitters. But in Tobacco Road #2, I found two dashes were needed to bring out the desired taste of that bitters; the black walnut bitters simply was overwhelmed by the coffee liquer using only one dash.

Finally, I made one other change that rounded out the various flavors, and added not only more depth to the already existing blend of flavors, but definitely complimented them as well. Simply, I added a single dash of Xocolatl Mole, for a wonderful subtle cocholate flavor. Very, very nice.

Whether you stay with the Tobacco Road #2 as written, or make either or both of the two small changes I suggest, you'll find this a flavorful, relaxing cocktail, either after a great dinner, or simply a cocktail to imbibe and relax with in the evening.

• Reply to: Varnish   by   4 months 1 week ago

I loved this with Highland Park 12. My wife didn't, which surprised me since she likes both ingredients individually. I'd try this again with an Islay.

• Reply to: What's He Building In There?   by   4 months 1 week ago

We have a right to know.

• Reply to: Tarleton's Resurrection   by   4 months 1 week ago

Definitely on the sweet side but I quite liked it; subbed 1 dash Cherry and 1 dash Plum bitters, would probably go with all plum next time. Wouldn't increase the lemon myself as it's plenty acidic enough, reduce the heering to a 1/2 or 1/4 oz.

• Reply to: Central Park   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I used a homemade blackberry liqueur and the flavors were quite good.  One thing to note - this drink is supposed to be served in a rocks glass over a single large ice cube.  The directions, as written, suggest it's supposed to be served up, which is incorrect.

• Reply to: Petticoat Junction   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Petticoat Junction: I saw five rating with an average of 4.5. I tried the cocktail, and it liked it--more than I thought I would. But the most I could squeeze out of it for a rating was 3.5. I wish people who rate a drink at 4.0 and above would make a comment that reveals what brought their liking for the cocktail to that level. When I rate a drink at 3.5 and many others are rating the same drink at 4.5, I begin to wonder: (1) am I too stringent in how I rate a given cocktail, or (2) Am I overlooking a characteristic and/or flavor ot the cocktail.

Sometimes, before I even make a given cocktail--thanks to one or two comments--I will make a change or two in the cocktail's recipe. Also, I'm trying to learn more about mixology, and often I find comments helpful in that regard. So, please, if you REALLY like a cocktail, let me and others know what lead you to rate a particular cocktail at 4.0 or higher. Thanks

• Reply to: Athol Brose (The Coachman)   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Instructions on toasting oatmeal are supplied, but not on the infusion. Do you have the amt. of milk and suggested steep time?

• Reply to: Rhubarb and Rye   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I looked at the recipe for "Rhubarb and Rye" and wondered: Can Zucca be used in place of Rhubarb bitters? I tried it and the answer is a resounding "NO." Zucca is a Rhubarb liqueur and you would think it would do better than Rhubarb bitters. It doesn't--don't try. The bitters give a smoother and more satisfying taste of Rhubarb.

Also, after trying two variations, I offer two other recommendations: (1) For the over-proof rye, do not use Rittenhouse (at 100 proof) The resulting taste is too harsh, both in the taste and going down. I had a more satisfying outcome with Bulliett Rye (at 90 proof). (2) Finally, I suggest using about one-half of the lemon juice, thus avoiding the possibilitiy of an otherwise too tart drink. Again, start with a small amount of lemon juice (say, 1/4 oz) and add a small amount amount more until you get the amount of lemon juice which is balanced in its tartness with the other ingredients. If you get too much tartness, add a small amount of Aperol until you have the balance you want between tartness and sweetness. Once you get that balance, you'll have a great cocktail!

• Reply to: The Arbitrary Nature of Time   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

No wonder the drink tasted so good--I stirred it, not shook it--and I didn't bruise it either! Thanks for the update on this tasty cocktail.

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I like Hurricane with lemon juice too. Zombie Island Punch has a very cool name, but actually the ingredients are similar and the taste isn't that zombie-like.

• Reply to: Manhattan (Bénédictine)   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

For myself, I find 1/2 oz of Benedictine overwhelms the Maker's Mark bourbon. My suggestion: (1) Make the drink according to the recipe, but add only 1/4 oz of Benedictine for start; add more to suit your taste OR (2) Make the drink according to the recipe, but add 2 1/4 oz of Maker's Mark bourbon, and add more to suit your taste.

I adjusted the recipe by adding a little more than a 1/4 oz of Maker's Mark. Unadjusted, I would rate it a four. After adjusting the drink by adding 1/4 /oz bourbon, I rated the Manhattan with Benedictine at a 4.5. This drink might also benefit from an orange twist.

• Reply to: Ms. Mary   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Loved the flavor of this cocktail but it was too sweet with this quantity of agave. Next time will cut it in half.

• Reply to: Italian Gentleman   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

The "Italian Gentleman" is one of those interesting but hard to explain why drinks. After making the drink and taking a few sips, I knew it could taste better,but I wasn't sure how to make it better, except by experimenting. So off I went! Because of the presence of both Campari and lemon juice I knew I had to use a bourbon that could stand up to these two ingredients. ​Maker's Mark​, which is a  gentle bourbon (and one of my favorites), would be bowled over by the Campari and lemon juice. So I choose instead a bold bourbon—​Angles Envy (86.6 proof)​—for the task. Also, I used half of the lemon juice called for because of my personal taste. The result was a cocktail that was OK, but less satisfying than I expected.  Too tart. Too sweet. Not bitter enough. And oddly enough the bourbon was too subdued. I rated the cocktail between 2.5 and 3.0.

All of these shortcomings called for further changes: I stayed with the bourbon (86.6%); but I cut the amount of simple syrup in half; I used ¼ oz Meyer lemon juice and ¼ oz regular lemon juice; and I used a "fat" 1½ oz of bourbon and Campari. For me, these changes made for a better drink. It was less sweet, the tartness from the blend of lemon juices was in balance with the Campari's bitterness. With these changes, I rated the drink between 3.0 and 3.5. A side note: I used Angostura Orange bitters in both recipes.

I am going to try yet another change to the "Italian Gentleman." This time I'm going to try 1½ oz of Wild Turkey 101, ​a "fat" 1½ oz of Campari, keep the blend of lemon juice, and omit the simple syrup, and keep the orange bitters. If the resulting drink needs to be sweetened, I can add some simple syrup. I'll also be thinking about adding another bitter, but only afterwards and if I believe something is still amiss that would be improved by a particular bitter.

In the meantime, if anyone tries the original recipe for the Italian Gentleman," give your comment about the drink, and make any suggestions about the recipe. My goal is to get this cocktail so that it is rated by most people between 3.5–4.0. Maybe I'm being too unrealistic, in that the drink is simply no better than a 2.5–3.0 drink. And thanks for reading a long "it's an OK drink but it needs to be improved by your suggestion" critique.