• Reply to: Unfinished Business   by   3 months 1 week ago

<br />I think a more apt name for "Unfinished Business" would be "Work in Progress." Maybe they mean the same. Regardless, the drink as presented I rate as 3.0. The taste was O.K., but there was no zip (please excuse the professional jargon). I added a dash of Burlesque bitters and a small amount of orange zest, and those two minor changes made a big difference, giving it the missing zip.

I'm going to make this cocktail again, but I'll use a different gin, either The Botanist or St. George's terroir gin. Both bring overtones that are lacking in Beefeater gin. I hope that as others try this cocktail, they'll offer their opinions on "Unfinished Business" and provide suggestions to improve it. It is a cocktail that truly has "Unfinished Business."

• Reply to: Brandy Milk Punch   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this. Rewrote this - it originally had more booze than dairy (2 oz brandy to 1.5 oz milk). I found a recipe from a Brennan's cookbook, and updated the drink to reflect what is probably a more traditional version of things. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   3 months 1 week ago

I curated this to conform with the newly cited link, which seems like it's closer to the actual recipe than the one we had.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   3 months 1 week ago

Made this using the recipe from Mayahuel, as quoted in the comment above, and really liked it. Will make again.

• Reply to: Avenue & Davenport   by   3 months 1 week ago

As I approached Avenue & Davenport (no pun intended!), I thought to myself, "Geez, what rye? what burbon?" The choice of each can make or break my liking or disliking of the cocktail. So, I played it safe and used Wild Turkey rye and Elijah Craig Bourbon. As it turned out, the choice was good: you want a pairing where the two complement each other, and avoid one overwhelming the other.

This pairing worked out nicely. After mixing, stiring with ice, blah, blah, blah, I took the first sip. Everything was in balance. Even the cherry notes were there, which surprised me somewhat, considering the amounts of rye and bourbon relative to the Maraschino Liqueur--and the Fernet-Branca. But...I thought as good as it was, it could be even better. Rummaging through my 20+ bottles of bitters, I knew what was needed. Tenatively, I added one, then two drops of Fees Bros. Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters.

Thankfully, those two little drops substantially improved the cocktail. I didn't add a third drop this time, but next time I will--maybe. The two were just right; hopefully three will not be too much. After all was said and done, I rated "Avenue & Davenport"
    as a four. Try it and let others know what your thoughts are about this luscious before-dinner drink.

• Reply to: Sloe Pear Flip   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this: Per the cited link, changed 1/2 egg white to 1/2 egg. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Shepherd's Secret   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

<br />"Shepherd's Secret" is one of those drinks, that as good as it is, you need to learn to love it. There are many drinks like that--the traditional Negroni is one, for many people who are not used to the inherent bitterness of the Negroni. The "Shepherd's Secret" was only my secent cocktail made with Amaro Abano. It had only one rating (4.0), probably done by the person who posted the drink! So I gave it a try, mostly because the cocktail required only three major ingredients, all of which I had: blended Scotch (Dewar's), Amaro Abano, and green Chartreuse. So I carefully measured everything, stirred, and strained, drank, and rated--3.0.

The primary reason was that the Amaro Abano seemed to be the main player, overwhelming even the green Chartreuse. Not obnoxiously so, but enough to say too much pepper taste. So, rather than tossing the drink down the kitchen sink, and cleaning out the pipes, I decided to see what I could do to overcome the pepperish taste from this batch. After giving it some thought, I decided to do the simplest thing I could think of--float a small amount of the blended Scotch. And, by golly, it worked! I rated the revised drink as 4.0. The lesson to be learned here, if there is one, is that instead of changing proportions, simply floating one of the key ingredients can make a world of difference, and solve what was thought to be a major problem.

• Reply to: Weeski   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Because of the play on words "Whiskey & Weeski" and that "Weeski" was posted six years ago with no takers, I immediately decided to try this drink. That I've got Irish in me blood had nothing to do with it, no; that I love good Irish whiskey, well, that's another matter. Anyway, I tried the bloody drink, and there's not much I can say in it's favor, other than I rated it at 3.0 (a generous rating at that).

I used Bushmill Blackbush for the whiskey, but the Lillet Blanc really blanked out the taste of the whiskey--which surprised me because Blackbush is strong in its taste, but smooth going down. I think a change in the vermouth needs to be done: perhaps less, perhaps changing to Cocchi Americano, or to Punt e Mes. Regardless, I was not happy with the current recipe. After I gather me wits, I'm going to try it again, but use Cocci Americano and a smaller amount--maybe a "skinny" ounce or 3/4 oz. It just may be that Irish whiskey and vermouth are not good bedmates, if you get my drift. I'll keep you posted.

• Reply to: Martineuse   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

<br />Given the several comments suggesting dissatisfaction with the cocktail's current recipe, I have taken this on as a CHALLENGE COCKTAIL. My first try was with Hayman's Old Tom gin, Contratto Bianco (a top-shelf Italian vermouth), and a "skinny" 1/2 oz green Chartreuse. I rated this 3.5--not bad. Then, I made majorchanges: Plymouth gin, same vermouth, and a "skinny" 1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse (used it because its flavor is less pronounced than green chartreuse). Very disappointing and I rated it at 2.5 to 3.0. I could discerne each ingredient's taste, but they did not blend together into a singular taste. That was a disappointment.

I will go back to the recipe for the "Martineuse," and consider the comments from the various users and consider what they said, and see if I can come up with a cocktail which is more satisfying, not just for me, but for most people who would like to try the "Martineuse," and find it to be a drink they want to come back to.

• Reply to: White Lady   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I cleaned up this drink, merging the DeGroff, Esquire, and Distinguished Spirits versions into one. This follows the Esquire version, though I've tagged the egg white as optional. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Wilson   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

If no Uncle Val's, I would use Hendricks.

• Reply to: Recommended Brands   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Sticking to the traditional absinthe definition

1. 90+ proof
    2. no sugar or sweeteners added
    3. Artemisia Absinthium as primary ingredient
    4. Primarily anise/wormwood flavors

and speaking from my 7 year Absinthe habit and decent (and growing) collection, you could add any of these to what you have in the current list:

• Economy: (<$60): St George, Vieux Carre.. many in the USA in this price range are technically liqueurs (and they have that in smaaaaalllll print on the bottle).
    • Everyday ($60-$90): Kubler (blanche), Mansinthe, Pernod, Pacifique, Marteau, La Clandestine, Duplais Blanche or Verte.
    • Premium (usually $95+): Most of Jade's line: C.F. Berger, Esprit Edouard, Nouvelle Orleans, 1901, etc... Vilya (formerly Ridge) Verte or blanche.
  • Reply to: Kasumiku (香住区)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I substituted scotch for the Yamazaki (didn't have any Japanese Whiskey) and Cocchi Vermouth di Torino for the Punt e Mes - really nice drink. First one I've made with the Douglas Fir. I thought maybe 3/4 was going to be too much of the Douglas Fir and the Domaine de Canton, but it was just right.

• Reply to: Churchgoer   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<br />The "Churchgoer" is one of those memorable drinks: a little sweet, just a tad bitter, and each ingredient knows its place and blends with all of the others. To the best of my recollection, this drink is only the the second one that I rated unhesitantly at 5.0, since joining KindredCocktails oh so many cocktails ago (and about six months ago).

For my taste, I can make no suggestion that might improve it, because the "Churchgoer" is nothing short of spectacular. It was posted 15 months ago, and I am only the second person to rate this drink, and the first to comment on it. The "Churchgoer" deserves a better fate. Its ingredients are readily available, and you can use The Botanist gin if you don't have St. George Terrior gin. If you are a gin lover, you'll find both deserve to be your bar. If you are not a gin lover, but enjoy a good gin drink, you'll appreciate the "Churchgoer." If you believe there's no such thing as a good gin cocktail, I think the "Churchgoer" will change your mind. This is one cocktail that deserves to be tried at least once in your lifetime.

• Reply to: Sel de la Mer   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This is just such a beautiful use of manzanilla in a modern cocktail. For lack of celery bitters, I used Ango, with good results. Might try something different next time. Delicious.

• Reply to: Tuesdays with Mole   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I saw a similar recipe that I made tonight that had equal parts (.75 oz) Averna, Cognac, Appleton Estate, lemon juice and simple.  I used demerara and cut it to .5oz.  The recipe also called for chocolate bitters but I used mole bitters. I thought it was lovely.  A less funky Art of Choke.

<br />
    I made and rated this drink before, but with no comment. At that time, I made the drink as written, and rated it at 3.5 (I'm not a big fan of dry vermouth). This time, being out of Tanqueray, I turned to Citadelle, which is more floral-forward, and definitely less juniper. Also, I used 1/4 oz each of Dolin dry vermouth and Vya blanco vermouth.

The change in both gin and vermouth made, for me, a more satisfying cocktail--one that I rated at 4.0. For those who are adventerous, you may want to give these changes a try. Magellan gin should do just fine as a sub for Citadelle. Bon Voyage!

• Reply to: Martini (Modern: 5:1)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<br />Lordy! Lordy! What a drink. This was my first martini, and I'm on the far side of 21 years. But let me explain why I liked this drink so much. First, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury gin, which I like even more than Tangqueray Ten. Although Bloomsbury's a London dry gin, it has a great bouquet and it goes down very easily. Now here's where I deviated from the called for dry vermouth. I used, instead, Dolin Blanc (a semi-sweet vermouth), and finished it up with a lemon twist, making sure I had a nice amount of lemon flavoring expressed on the cocktail's surface before I dropped the twist in. Light, tasty, and oh so easy going down. A memorable drink!

• Reply to: Detroit Athletic Club   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this. Added "Teeling" as an ingredient, moved the specific type to notes. Added year and bar information. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Seelbach   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Due to the NYT article, I updated the source attribution.  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Seelbach   by   3 months 4 weeks ago
  • Reply to: the Minton   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

A very, very pleasant drink with, as expected, fruity overtones. On this, my first try with "The Minton," I made some small changes. Of course, I don't know if the changes made the drink betterr or worse--or no difference at all. However, the changes resulted in my rating the cocktail at 5. The changes were small: (1) To tone down the anticipated sweetness, I used 1/4 oz Aperol and 1/4 oz Campari. Thus the sweetness of the Aperol was there, but just a tad of bitterness floated to the top due to the Campari. (2) with the three dashes of orange bitters, I used four drops for each dash, not the traditional three drops. Each dash had two drops of Regans' orange bitters and two drops of Angustora orange bitters. I have seen a number of cocktail recipes that combined these two brands into what was called "house bitters." The change in taste is subtle.

I would like to get some feedback on changes I made--for better or worse. I would like to hear what changes others have made and what the results were. Meanwhile, drink up, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Boston Common   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Given all the ingredients that make up "Boston Common," it ought to be called Mulligan's Stew. On a more serious note, the Boston Common is a complex drink--the Amaro Nardini is there, so is the lemon (even though I put in less than 3/8 oz), the Cognac, and to a lesser degree, the rye is able to poke its head above water (figuratively speaking). One person suggested using a rye less pronounced in taste than Rittenhouse. That suggestion was made approximately four years ago, with no response. It's worth exploring, but I suspect that the lemon more than Cognac will get through. I'm willing to try a less pronounced rye than Rittenhouse and let others know what the outcome was. I will choose between WhistlePig (10 yrs), Templeton (6 yrs) and Wild Turkey (a blend of 4 & 5 year old whiskies). Suggestions from others of ryes to try will be considered, so long as I don't go broke in the process of buying them.

The three ryes I mentioned, I currently have. Given the experience I've had with them, I'm inclined to try WhistlePig 10 yrs. I will report the outcome no later than mid-December, whether the Cognac will be more easily tasted if a rye other than Rittenhouse is used . As is, I rated the Boston Common at 4.0. The drink's sourness kept me from rating the Boson Common any higher.

• Reply to: Boston Common   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Given all the ingredients that make up "Boston Common," it ought to be called Mulligan's Stew. On a more serious note, the Boston Common is a complex drink--the Amaro Nardini is there, so is the lemon (even though I put in less than 3/8 oz), the Cognac, and to a lesser degree, the rye is able to poke its head above water (figuratively speaking). One person suggested using a rye less pronounced in taste than Rittenhouse. That suggestion was made approximately four years ago, with no response. It's worth exploring, but I suspect that the lemon more than Cognac will get through. I'm willing to try a less pronounced rye than Rittenhouse and let others know what the outcome was. I will choose between WhistlePig (10 yrs), Templeton (6 yrs) and Wild Turkey (a blend of 4 & 5 year old whiskies). Suggestions from others will be considered, so long as I don't go broke in the process. The three ryes I mentioned, I currently have. Given the experience I've had with these three, I'm inclined to try WhistlePig 10 yrs. I report the outcome no later than mid-December. As is, I rated the Boston Common at 4.0. The drink's sourness kept me from rating the Boson Common any higher.

• Reply to: Oliver's Twist   by   4 months 4 hours ago

"Oliver's Twist Created by Gary Regan for the Gourmet Magazine food-pairing challenge, 2004. Named for Garrett Oliver, brewmaster for the Brooklyn Brewery, and one of the other competitors.."