• Maximilian Affair   22 weeks 2 days ago

Didn't have punt e mes, so substituted Cocchi Americano on a whim, delicious, a bit sweet, tart, and smoky, can't wait to make this again.

• Luxardo Sour   22 weeks 5 days ago

Best use for amaretto I've found, and I have a huge bottle (luxardo). I would much prefer a Trinidad sour however. The angostura makes the drink and does a reasonable job of tempering the amaretto, but it's still quite sweet/almond extract tasting. In the future I'd just not buy amaretto...

• Jekyll Island Iced Tea   22 weeks 6 days ago

Monin blackberry syrup, or Creme de Mure or Creme de Cassis work instead of the shrub.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   22 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you!

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   23 weeks 5 hours ago

ED8 is probably closest.

• The Adams   23 weeks 9 hours ago

Ok, thanks. I changed this entry to "altered", per your suggestion. I thought it was a pretty decent drink even with non-infused bourbon.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   23 weeks 10 hours ago

I decided to try this since I've been staring at my bottle of sloe gin (bitter truth) for 3 years and I'd like to make space for something else. And, I love my Lemon Hart 80 (which sadly is now unavailable) and wanted to see if my unopened 151 hit the same delicious flavor notes. I knew this was going to be boozy, but on top of that it's quite sour with nothing to round it out. Maybe this was developed with sweeter sloe gins. I added maybe 1/2 oz each orgeat and sweet vermouth and a big mint sprig, which helped a lot, but I'm still in the market for an awesome sloe gin recipe. And open to suggestions on which El Dorado is closest to my Lemon Hart 80.

• The Adams   23 weeks 10 hours ago

"whole Black Mission figs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and our blend of herbs and spices"

I had a taste probably six years ago and it didn't do much for me, though I don't recall the flavor. It's from MA, and I don't know how widely available it is.

• The Adams   23 weeks 14 hours ago

Interesting. - I had no idea. What is it infused with? I've never seen it in the stores here in TN.

• Attention   23 weeks 15 hours ago

Incidentally, A Mouth of Grandma is my hardcore band's name.

• The Adams   23 weeks 15 hours ago

Just an FYI here, Diabolique is an infused bourbon, so it's not replaceable. That said, if the drink works with regular bourbon, it works - though I would call this an altered recipe.

• Torino Julep   23 weeks 1 day ago

I would start with a teaspoon for mouthfeel and balance and add more to taste, though I agree that 1/2 oz is overkill.

• Torino Julep   23 weeks 1 day ago

FrogPrincess on eGullet reports that even 1/4oz of syrup is plenty and perhaps none even better.

• Big Easy Sour   23 weeks 5 days ago

When trying a new drink that calls for a full ounce of Peychaud's, I fully approve of you using someone else's. ;)

But lordy, yes... The color! If I hadn't lost interest in True Blood years ago, I might've called it the Bon Temps Sour.

• Big Easy Sour   23 weeks 6 days ago

I made it at my bar and the color got lots of stares from my guests.

• Big Easy Sour   23 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, glad you like! The cinnamon syrup was the one part I wasn't so sure about at first; I almost kept the Trinidad's orgeat... I sipped mine pretty quickly, so I don't think it had time to warm much (heh, oops). I'll look for that extra lemoniness next time.

• Big Easy Sour   23 weeks 6 days ago

Delicious. Cinnamon was an inspired choice. Interestingly, as it warmed it got quite lemony, despite the large amounts of other strong ingredients. Lovely color too.

• Noce Americana   24 weeks 2 days ago

Would consider an absinthe rinse next time.

• Avioncito   24 weeks 2 days ago

I liked it - used Milagro Reposado and Averna instead of the Zucca - but didn't taste the tequila as much. Maybe the MIlagro isn't as assertive as the Espolon (I'm not a tequila guy, so not sure)?

• Attention   24 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.

• Attention   24 weeks 2 days ago

Recipe says 1940s origin, but this cocktail appeared in a 1916 guide (Recipes for Mixed Drinks by Hugo R. Ensslin), according to classicmixology.com.

• Wray of Light   24 weeks 3 days ago

Than drinking it straight from the bottle, probably. Which I guess is what the Bum did in the days before he invented his Hart of Darkness.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   24 weeks 3 days ago

I updated the instructions to specify that you shake with ice, baby, though unfortunately I think KC frowns on mixin' cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar.

• Wray of Light   24 weeks 3 days ago

safer?

• The Brave   24 weeks 3 days ago

I wonder if they did that because it's hard to get sotol in many places, similar to why the NYT published the Oaxaca Old Fashioned with Ango instead of mole bitters.