• Reply to: Pear Collins   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Used rothmans pear liqueur instead of pear juice and skipped the syrup to makes a very delicate and dry cocktail.  Fabulous

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I know the comment is 2 1/2 years old but I was always befuddled but the person above bashing Smith & Cross, a highly regarded rum and one I find unique and interesting.  He evokes Ed Hamilton in his trash talk so I dug around Ed's Ministry of Rum web site looking for his scathing review and pretty much what I found was this...

"...this is not a sipping rum by contemporary standards but rather reflects the tastes and production of the 19th century.  Used sparingly in cocktails it adds a broad dimension to both the aroma and taste in cocktails".

Fair enough...  I'm not much of a rum sipper anyway but for me this is spot-on.

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated from 1 to 2 drinks as it seems plenty big enough for two. Also fixed capitalization and tweaked up instructions to conform to style guidelines.

• Reply to: Amer Picon Cocktail   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This is the ideal cocktail for those who like a sweet but not too sweet drink, and those who like a chocolate-like taste. I suspect that's about 80% of adult Americans. I used Amer Picon and one of my favorite top-shelf Italian vermouths, Contratto Rosso. This is a drink that deserves a top-shelf vermouth, whatever that brand may be. And it's definitely an after-dinner drink, one to be lingered over and enjoyed. Simple to make, and easy to enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Just revisited this one using Bluecoat, Cocchi di Torino, and Cynar 70. Mixed it once as posted and it was very nice: the C70 intensified the bitterness and ABV and in so doing balanced nicely against the hefty maraschino. Mixed it again with 2 oz gin and reduced the maraschino to 1 tsp. Better? Maybe. YOU make the call. Glad you dug it, wthrift.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A worthy addition to the range, I think. Used Bonal in place of Maurin.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

<br />I'm surprised that this drink was posted two years ago and, until now, no one has commented on it or rated it. This is a lovely, tasty drink, whose ingredients blend together well despite being so disparate. There is not, for example, the marked bitterness associated with Campari or gin's Juniiper. But the sweet vermouth makes its presence known despite its relatively small quantity. For this drink I used all top-shelf brands: Tanqueray Malacca gin, Contratto sweet vermouth, Character (a medium dry Amontillado sherry by Sandeman), and, of course, Campari. For those who are not fond of a dry sherry taste, I dscovered by accident that using only 1 1/4 oz of Amontillado results in a somewhat sweeter, but still delicious cocktail. Imbibe!

• Reply to: Golden Lion   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

<br />A surprisingly pleasant drink, one that goes down easily in a hot, late afternoon, just before dinner, or one to drink at a barbeque. I used an Aquivit by Linie, not North Shore. I have little experience with Aquivits to know if there is much difference between Linie and North Shore. Regardless, I recommend this drink to those who like Aquivit. Dolin vermouth is one of my favorites vermouths (it is in the $16 range), and I recommend the Dolin vermouths heartily. My only suggestion for this drink is to use a skinny 1/2 oz Galliano. A full 1/2 oz of Galliano tends to overwhelm the other ingredients and make for a drink that some may find too sweet. Other than that, make and enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Excellent as written using antica formula.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I considered calling it "The Devil in Miss Negroni" but worried that might be a bit gauche...

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Also there's Joaquin Simo's version :

2.0 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac

.75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

.75 oz lemon juice

1 barspoon 2:1 Demerara sugar syrup (how much is a "barspoon" anyway?)

• Reply to: Waterloo   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Nice and refreshing; doubling the lime juice doesn't hurt.

• Reply to: Scotch Cringe aka Lavender Cadaver   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Very drinkable, but I just used Maker's Mark instead of scotch (I found it ended up being great if you don't like the taste of whisky, but want to make a drink with it anyway).

• Reply to: Root Beer Barrel   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Had to do a few substitutions, but I loved the result.

• 3/4 oz Root Beer syrup from Portland Soda Works
    • 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
    • 1/4 oz Fernet Branca
    • 3/4 oz Cointreau
    • 1/4 oz Licor 43
    • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • Reply to: PS3   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Can you estimate a splash of Campari so it's reproduceable by other users? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Wicker Sunrise   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

damn, that is interestingly tasty. (or tastily interesting?)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Summer in a glass

• Reply to: Bourbon Milk Punch   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Found this variation: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016276-bourbon-milk-punch

• 1 ¼ ounces bourbon
    • ½ ounce dark rum
    • 2 ounces milk (use cream or half-and-half for a richer drink)
    • ⅛ ounce vanilla extract
    • ½ ounce simple syrup (see note)
    • Dash of grated nutmeg

In a mixing glass three-quarters filled with ice, pour the bourbon, rum, milk or cream, vanilla and simple syrup. Shake vigorously until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass. Dust with nutmeg.

Very nice!

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

It's hard to measure dash of CdV and Maraschino liqueur. I prefer the 1/4 oz CdV, 1/3-1/2 oz Maraschino along w 1/2-3/4 oz lemon juice and 2 oz gin.

• Reply to: Don't Mind If I Do   by   4 months 9 hours ago

Great Gin cocktail.

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   4 months 23 hours ago

I thought the same when I saw the recipe (though it's worth noting that the quantity of simple is cut down here). If I get around to some A/B testing I'll report back!

(This also seems like something I'd stir rather than shake.)

• Reply to: Vice President   by   4 months 1 day ago

Really nice - here is a photo: https://flic.kr/p/HzBMug  - like the Campari notes, with a gentle touch of Mandarin and the sweet notes of rum underneath...

• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   4 months 1 day ago

Looking at the proportions, I was worried that this would be too sweet, but of course I was wrong to worry, as this is magically delicious. The balance is perfect.

• Reply to: Oliveto   by   4 months 2 days ago

Velvety smooth, a big hit among guests. 1/2 an egg white is enough (and this makes it easier if you're mixing two at once).

The result is quite a few ounces so use a larger coupe/cocktail glass or pour a splash for yourself. You definitely don't want to risk any overflow as the olive oil makes everything slippery and sticks around.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   4 months 4 days ago

A tasty variation I've seen called the Paper Mache subs cachaca and Averna for the bourbon and Nonino.