• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   4 months 3 days ago

I got it from Imbibe (2nd edition), not that article, maybe I forgot to put that. Only difference I can see is the book calls for one less cup of milk (3 cups instead of 4). Oh it also didn't specify the servings. That's very useful, I'm making it for New Years Day... Thanks.

• Reply to: Primer   by   4 months 3 days ago

Good cocktail. Complex, perhaps a bit too much. There is a lot going on at once in the drink.

• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   4 months 4 days ago

I tweaked this by using a little less than 1/4 oz of green chartreuse in place of the yellow chartreuse and enjoyed the heck out of this drink. It's definitely for those who love bitter drinks with a whisper of smoke and herbs.

• Reply to: Kirsch Cosmo   by   4 months 4 days ago

Curated this per a curation request: Fixed the link (which was broken).

• Reply to: Black Flip   by   4 months 6 days ago

Tried this with 1/2 ounce of Wondermint substituted for 1/2 ounce of the rum.  Very tasty!

• Reply to: 1794   by   4 months 1 week ago

Highly recommend the 1796 with Santa Teresa rum mentioned in the comments at the link.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   4 months 1 week ago

I curated this slightly to bring it into line with the cited link (which is Wondrich's Esquire article).

• Reply to: Ginger Grant   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this slightly - added new ingredient Vanilla liqueur, Giffard.

• Reply to: Gypsy   by   4 months 1 week ago

Due to a curation request, I merged two cocktails called "Gypsy" - the one with a better source citation is the one I kept.

• Reply to: Anastasia   by   4 months 1 week ago

Cut all volumes in half, used unflavored vodka and added 1/4 oz ginger liqueur for 3 oz pre-shake volume.

• Reply to: Midnight Stinger   by   4 months 1 week ago

Thought the Fernet might be overpowering, but it's not. A tad sweet for my taste; will reduce syrup to 1/2 next time.

• Reply to: Big Ship   by   4 months 1 week ago

Tasty, and despite appearing to be a winter-spiced drink, it would work wonderfully as a light summertime sour.  I subbed in my regular homemade orgeat because I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference at 1/4 oz.  I also served it up in a chilled coupe because it really seemed like more appropriate glassware.  It's already well-diluted and is a somewhat small drink, so pouring it over ice seems like a recipe for quick over-dilution.

• Reply to: Curbside Cider   by   4 months 1 week ago

Not bad, but the Fernet is pretty strong.  There are better cider recipes out there.

• Reply to: New Amsterdam Winter Fix   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

The linked recipe adds superfine sugar or simple syrup to the muddle. I made it without and thought it very nice and balanced without the additional sweetener.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I curated this per the link, which has Sam Ross making the drink and explaining the ingredients. There are a lot recipes floating around the internet for this, most of which simplify the ginger part of the sweetener, or sub different Scotches, but I figure that if we have a video of the creator of the drink, that should be the canonical recipe.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I second the comments stated by, "Fransos".

3/8 oz. Honey Syrup

3/8 oz Sweetened Ginger Juice

(not 3/4 oz Ginger-Honey Syrup)

Created, 2005

(As per Sam's, "Bartender's Choice" App.)

*this needs curation*

• Reply to: Arrack Swizzle (Cienfuegos)   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

There was a curation request to change the volume of rum and sweet vermouth to 3/4 oz from 1/2 oz. Done. If there's a link to cite, please include it.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Clever clever clever. The Chartreuse fits in perfectly.

• Reply to: Orange Union   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - simplified the note on the Bourbon -  all OGD variants are high-rye, edited to "bonded".  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Slow Decay   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I thought I was over IPAs. I may be back on board.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

This cocktail is shockingly well-balanced. A work of genius.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I wonder if this might be a good use for Cynar 70.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Not too sweet at all with Combier kümmel, but your mileage may vary.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Hmmm. Aquavit isn't sweetened. I'm skeptical of the sugar balance in this one....

• Reply to: Scarlet Knight   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Based on ingredients on hand, omitted the eau de vie spritzed mint sprig, but substituted St. George Terroir gin to add some fir/forest essence.  Also substituted a few dashes of rhubarb bitters for the Zucca.  Fantastic holiday cocktail.