• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   5 months 3 days ago

Maybe with green Chartreuse it's a Yellowpoint.

I'm a big fan of the original.  My favourite of the Brooklyns, I think.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   5 months 3 days ago

Delicious! Tried substituting green Chartreuse on the recommendation of a guy in a bar, and liked it just as well, maybe better. You don't want a timid rye for this drink, especially when using green Chartreuse.

I wonder how it'd be using a smoky scotch instead of the rye?

• Reply to: Carrie's Book Club   by   5 months 5 days ago

Seems hard to believe this needs the simple syrup.

• Reply to: Long Faced Dove   by   5 months 6 days ago

Curated this - changed "tequila" to "Blanco tequila" as per link. added date attribution and changed type to authentic recipe. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   5 months 1 week ago

Zachary,

Maybe increase the Cognac to 1 1/2 oz? I was trying to make a drink to use my Apry in, and wanted to use Pierre Ferrand 1840 to bolster the apricot notes, not to give the drink much of a brandy character per se. As it is, this is basically a Hoop-La by way of a Self Starter. Your shaken Cognac and Pineau idea sounds intriguing--maybe a Pompadour riff?

Rafa

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   5 months 1 week ago

Rafa,

This is nice, but the Cognac gets a bit lost. I was thinking about subbing 1/2 oz of the Cocchi for Pineau des Charentes, but that may be getting toward a new drink. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Poire Bomb   by   5 months 1 week ago

Not bad but the maraschino dominated some for us and as such the ginger and lemon juice were a little lost. Would probably tweak the ratios a bit. Beautiful color.

• Reply to: Fourth Degree   by   5 months 1 week ago

Savoy and other sources call for a mix of sweet and dry vermouths in their Fourth Degrees, and in much more vermouth-heavy proportions than these.

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   5 months 1 week ago

Curated this. Edited recipe to reflect cited link. Thanks for the catch. Zachary

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   5 months 1 week ago

This recipe doesn't match the reference - should be 1/2 oz lime juice, 1/3 oz St Germain, 1/3 oz simple.

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   5 months 1 week ago

Good balance.  The homemade coffee liqueur I'm using is quite flavorful, and it tends to overwhelm.  I'd use 1/2 ounce of it at most next time I make the drink.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Rather nice, if a touch sweet. I think I might try rye (aromatically drier than bourbon), reducing the 1/2 oz parts to maybe 1/3 oz, an adding 1/3 oz dry vermouth or sherry.

• Reply to: Kansai Kick   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Removed redundant notes. Moved date in the attribution to the correct box. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Zephyr   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Cutting the gin to 1.5 oz. and adding 1/2 oz of lime juice balances this drink out and makes it more palatable.

• Reply to: Another Fine Mes   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

This is really quite good. I made a second with a little Cynar in with the vermouth to try and amp up the vegetal side, so if you'd be interested in that, it wotks.

• Reply to: Grounds for Separation   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Very tasty

• Reply to: B Squared   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

What Amaro do you recommend? I would think something not too bitter? Nonino?

• Reply to: Jägerita   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Hard to believe this could need the simple. It doesn't actually sound bad. Just because Jägermeister is a frat-house staple, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a long history as bitters.

• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Very sweet as written. I added another part of dry vermouth, but even then it was too sweet. I would like to try this again as perhaps 2 oz spirit and a total of 1 oz sweet.

• Reply to: Leather and Lace   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Curated from 5 to 0.5 oz syrup, which I assume was the intended amount.

• Reply to: La Viña   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

My variation:

1 1/2 oz Rye
    3/4 oz Amaro Nonino
    1/2 oz Amontillado (dry)
    1/2 oz PX
    1 dash Regans'

Very nice indeed.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Related to the song by Elbow? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxczVhG0os8

• Reply to: San la Muerte   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I didn't think too much of it, I didn't find the chipotle particularly pleasing with the sweetness of the Licor 43—2 stars. I like the Margarilla much better, a very similar drink but with much less Licor 43 that let's the tequila make itself felt.

• Reply to: Havana Crusta   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Pretty nice together, didn't blow me away, but a solid 3 star drink. I may have liked it a bit tarter, but I'd fade that way usually anyway.

• Reply to: The Adams   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Diabolique was used because we have a cordials license at Estragon and that was the only bourbon we could serve. Try it with rye as well if you want it a little more spice-forward.