• Reply to: Spare Parts   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this slightly: moved the IPA syrup instructions to the notes section to avoid line breakage. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   3 months 1 week ago

delicious.  nice one.  where did it come from exactly?

• Reply to: All In   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I like it.  Not sure about the instruction to discard the peel - certainly with Rittenhouse 100 as the rye there's no need to be delicate!

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Excellent cocktail. One of my recent favorites. Note: It's not good when you run out of Irish whiskey and try to sub in blended scotch.

• Reply to: Ce Acatl   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A very tasty cocktail; sweet but not too sweet and slightly tart. All of the flavors blend together to make a cocktail that can easily become one's favorite. I did not include a dash of Luxardo Maraschino as suggested in a prior comment. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it can improve what is already a great drink. My fear is that the Luxardo might overwhelm the balance of flavors. But, keeping an open mind, I will try it. Who knows--maybe it can be fixed even though it's not broken!

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Rob,

I'm partial to the 114, which should be in everyone's cabinet. In summer, though, I like Bulleit's rye, which is fresh/green and flowery.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A thoughtful read in re bourbon, perhaps my favorite spirit. But lest your story of super premium bourbon à la Pappy scare anyone off, good old BIB Old Grand Dad at its modest price point still exists, and as a bonded bourbon with noticeable spicy rye in its mashbill I declare it the most excellent and succulent bourbon there be. Just don't tell anyone it is that good, or it might be more difficult to buy.

• Reply to: The Petunia   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Added butterfly pea powder that the citation calls for and makes the drink weirdly blue-purple (like a Petunia). Added year estimate. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Last Word   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Substitute St. Germain for the Luxardo and you have 'La Lumiere'

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The simple in this makes no sense to me. In a regular Toronto it is used because there is relatively little sugar in Fernet. But Cynar has lots of sugar. Might be better without added syrup.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Thanks.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - took the extraneous 'i' from Griotte. Added the club soda and estimated the amount. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Gold Rush   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated  this: per a user comment, I found the drink in the PDT book and changed rye to Elijah Craig (they call for the now non-existent 12 year), the honey syrup from 1/2 to 1 and the lemon juice from 1/2 to 3/4. Updated source cite, author and date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Blind Lemon Jefferson   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Identical to TJ Siegals(Milk&Honey) modern classic, the Gold Rush from 2001, except for the addition of orange bitters and the garnish.

• Reply to: Nirvana   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made this (or something like it) using 1 oz CioCiaro + 1/4 oz Campari for bitterness in place of the Amer Picon.  Not sure how it compares to the true Boudreau version, but quite tasty.

• Reply to: Blind Lemon Jefferson   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Delightful. I used Rye instead of bourbon because I worried about it being too sweet. It was perfect with rye.

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

As do I. I have a whole list of potential drink names that are just phrases I find annoying or overly common. Stay tuned for "Social Liberal Fiscal Conservative" and "Short On The Sides Long On Top."

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Great name, even though I love both.

• Reply to: Upper West Side   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This seems like a very odd take on the El Diablo; the recipe is almost identical except for creme de Violette instead of creme de cassis. (The other big difference being that the El Diablo is amazing IMO, and this is, well... not.) Those two ingredients even look similar, both having a deep purple color. Is it possible that the creme de Violette was an error?

• Reply to: Negroni d'Or   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<br />A lovely drink, but even more so than one of my favorite cocktails, the traditional Negroni. Why so? The use of Gran Classico instead of Campari. Gran Classico gives a bitterness that is a hallmark of the Negroni, only less so. This is the cocktail of choice, I believe, for those who would like a less bitter Negroni-syle cocktail. But don't sell short the Dolin Blanco, which has a sweetness to it, but less so than the sweet vermouth used in the traditional Negroni. Consequently, this drink deserves a good gin, one wiith a nice bouquet. Tanqueray Ten, Beefeater 24, and Citadelle come to mind. Without the Campari and sweet vermouth, the gin is able to peek its head out a little more and make its presence known. This is truly a Negroni of gold!

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The way it's written now works very well. Essentially a Bourbon Southside with Ango :-)

• Reply to: Stovetop Challenge   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

I have tried three variations of Dubonnet Rouge and gin (including this one), and I've been disappointed in each. I've used Tanqueray Ten and Bombay Sapphire. Perhaps another brand of gin will produce better results. I've gome to the conclusion, however, and the combination of gin and Dubonnet Rouge just do not a good cocktail maketh. A three rating is the best I can give any of the gin and Dubonnet cocktails I've tried.

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Fixed, thanks. For people who don't have the app, it would be nice if you'd quote the whole drink so I can transcribe it correctly. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Bartenders Choice App recipe has "small handful mint" in the list of ingredients. Also wrong name on one of the creators. It's Schell, not Schekk.

• Reply to: Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder   by   4 months 4 hours ago

The absinthe and sweet balance well.