• Reply to: Boulevardier (Cure version)   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I was skeptical, but this is really good, the Campari, Punt e Mes and Rittenhouse work well together. Dark berry notes, with some strong bitter finish.

• Reply to: Davy Jones' Locker   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A new tiki classic! I tried a touch of tiki bitters second go, and it's a great addition.

• Reply to: El Presidente   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Tried 2 oz Barbancourt blanc, 1 oz Dolin blanc, 1 tsp Curaçao, 1 tsp Grenadine, 2 ds orange bitters. Judgement reserved...

• Reply to: Sister Wife   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Well-balanced! 5 star.

• Reply to: Ask Again Later   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Jim Beam Black  is aged 8 years. But it's a bourbon, so if you want to stay with a tequila, you'll have to continue looking around. I'm sure there's one out there with the ever increasing brands of añejo tequila hitting the market. And there's always Google, too, to aide your search! Good luck in your quest.

• Reply to: Suzette   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Because of  the comment made by one person that the given recipe was only a "passable Negroni," that lacked depth, I decided to see if I could come up with changes that would overcome the flaw(s) as he/she saw them.

1.  First, I changed gins, from Bombay Saphire to Liberator Gin, made by Valentine Co. in Detroit (an excellent gin, I might add.) Liberator gin is lighter in taste than Bombay Saphire.
    2. Next, I changed the vermouth to Cocchi Vermouth de Torino (which is less sweet and somewhat earthy in flavor--but not too earthy) than the traditional red sweet vermouth.  If that is not available, I recommend Dolin Blanc.It is a white vermouth that is not as sweet as the traditional red vermouth..
    3. Finally, I used Salers (only because I didn't have Suze, but my readings suggest the two to be equivalent.)
    4. The amount of gin and Salers was not changed, but I used only 1 oz of vermouth.

The resultant cocktail did not overwhelm Salers, and given my experience tasting Nagori varients, I was quite satisfied with the resultant cocktail, and  would rate it as 4 stars.

I would be interested in hearing from others about the changes I made.

• Reply to: Black Manhattan   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I used Jim Beam Black, because of its smoothness and full taste from being aged 8 years. I concur cardamom bitters is a nice touch. So might black walnut bitters or Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters. Regardless, I prefer  an orange twist as opposed to orange bitters.I rate this change as 4 stars.

• Reply to: Southpaw   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

It's delicious, but I want more! Maybe bump to 1.5 bourbon and .75 Punt and Campari. Fernet could probably handle another bsp with those quantities.

• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Regarding the prior comments:  Choose your rye carefully; Templeton is light in flavor and sweet. Wild Turkey and Knob Creek, however, have more body. Choose carefully, also, your vermouth. Antica Formula is my favorite vermouth. I used, however, Vermut Negre, a dark but not too sweet vermouth. I then used only two drops of Xocolatl Mole, then three, which was fine. This was the first time I drank this cocktail, but I humbly rank the resultant cocktail at 4.5. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

• Reply to: Southpaw   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This drink has it all. Strength, bitter, menthol, dry, complexity. What a great drink.

• Reply to: The Hint of Spring   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Removed picture and rewrote instructions o avoid copyright infringement. Added blackberries as per cited link. Added creator. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: El Presidente   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I find the El Presidente described by David Wondrich in Imbibe back in 2011 to be superior. The biggest change is the use of Dolin Blanc vermouth instead of dry vermouth. 1.5 rich white rum, 1.5 Dolin Blanc vermouth, 1 barspoon orange curacao (or Grand Marnier), 0.5 barspoon of real grenadine (not Roses!), thinly cut orange peel, Stir over cracked ice and express orange peel and drop or discard as preferred, Garnish if desired with maraschino cherry.

• Reply to: The Wet Dream   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Complex, aesthetically pleasing.  Balance is good too.

• Reply to: Boulevardier (Cure version)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Really tasty, balanced bitterness, solid drink.

• Reply to: Beatnik (Duggan McDonnell)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this. Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. This seems similar to the other Beatnik we have in the database, but it's smaller and sweeter. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Upgraded Paloma   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I also like it without seltzer. Maybe a little bit more.

• Reply to: Portwine Stain   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with Smith & Cross and El Dorado 15, as that's what I have on hand at the moment. Marvelous.

• Reply to: PPX   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

My wife and I thank you for passing this along! 5 star.

• Reply to: Italian Greyhound   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Thinking this might be a touch low-proof, I tried:

1 1/2 oz Carpano Antica
    3/8 oz Aperol
    3/8 oz Campari
    3/8 oz Maraschino
    3/4 to 1 oz lime juice
    salted rim, big rock

Delicious.

• Reply to: Seven Oaks   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this: added garnishes. Added new ingredient, Fee Brothers Molasses Bitters. As an aside, adding the "creator" and "date created" fields is helpful.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Canela Punch   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this slightly: added granishes. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Hugo Montenegro   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Curated slightly to remove "100% agave". That should be assumed. This isn't Kindred Craptails, after all. ;)

• Reply to: Italian Greyhound   by   4 months 8 hours ago

Excellent name!

• Reply to: Shipwreck   by   4 months 2 days ago

Thank you!

• Reply to: Shipwreck   by   4 months 2 days ago

Curated this slightly. Added year, added link, changed Cruzan to Cruzan 151 as per link. Thanks, Zachary