• Reply to: Polka Dot Negroni   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

<br />Despite the forward-Juniper gin (I used Tanqueray's Bloomsbury Gin), and despite that I'm writing this review in mid-September, I found the Polka Dot Negroni to be a light, slightly sweet drink, one that I would be sipping on during a sunny, warm summer day--but under a big umbrella because of my fair complexion. If you're thinking, "This bloke's trying to tell me he likes the bloody drink!" you're absolutely wrong. I don't like this drink--I love the blinkin' thing!

The Polka Dot Negroni is a great summer drink, even during these last few days of summer. I think most casual drinkers will enjoy this concoction. Hell, I'll probably be drinking this wonderful drink on the first day of winter. The gin, the bianco Vermouth, and Salers go together like a hand in a glove. The lemon twist is a good garnish; I even dropped the peel into the drink for added color. However I didn't care for the Luxardo Maraschino cherry as a garnish; I spooned mine out as soon as I tasted the residual juice surrounding the cherry--the juice's taste just didn't fit in with the other tastes inherent in the drink.

Take the time to try the Polka Dot Negroni--you'll like it! Dollars to donuts! Enjoy the drink, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I'm surprised there have not been any comments about the "Autumn Negroni," given a 5 rating by four raters. That says something about the drink--namely that those who enjoy a Negroni style cocktail will surly enjoy this drink. The gin, along with the Campari, and the Fernet-Branca control where this drink is going. I, personally, enjoy Negroni-style drinks, and this drink is no exception. I rated it a 4, but with a little arm twisting, I'd jack it up to 4.5. Personally, I love this drink.

Adventuresome drinkers will, I believe, also find this an enjoyable cocktail, as long as they understand the effects of Campari and Fernet-Branca on a cocktail. Put your toes into the water, and give it a try! You have, I believe, more to gain than to lose. Enjoy but drink responsibly!

• Reply to: Nacho Sour   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Bravo!

• Reply to: Champagne Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Best with a rich simple syrup for texture and consistency (1/4 oz or under works well) and a nice dry somewhat neutral Cremant or Cava. Improved by a spritz of something aromatic--we use Chartreuse. The lemon zest is best expressed over the rim and rubbed around the stem and discarded--you don't want fruit banging on your teeth when you're drinking from a flute.

• Reply to: Seventh Heaven   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Prefer the Colonial cocktail, which has the same ingredients, but is heavier on the grapefruit juice and lighter on the maraschino.

• Reply to: The Viering Cocktail   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Feels like it needs a lemon twist, so I added a lemon twist.

<br />
    I noticed one user found the Cornwall Negroni to be "quite bitter," so I decided to minimize the bitterness as best I could. To do this, I used Beefeater 24 for the gin, and Dolin Rouge for the 2nd vermouth. I also used one dash of Regans' Orange Bitters and one dash of Angostura Orange Bitters. The resultant cocktail was only mildly bitter, but pleasantly so. I rated this revised Cornwall Negroni at 4.0. For those who enjoy Negroni-style drink, I think they will find this one to be a delightful cocktail, and one they will come back to often.

• Reply to: Royal Pearl   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Any history on this cocktail or is it a lime instead of lemon juice version of the Royal Hawaiian?

The pineapple juice in my version is super prominent. I might tweak the proportions next time.

nonetheless tasty!

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   3 months 1 day ago

Made with Botanica, which is awfully junipery.  The Fernet is good at 0.25 oz or just above.

With Patron Citronge as the triple sec, 0.25 oz is too light & 0.5 oz is possibly a little heavy. I'd likely use a 0.25 and up the orange bitters.

This drink is promising enough that I gave it a 4, though I agree it benefits strongly from measuring-to-taste.

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   3 months 2 days ago

I carefully followed the recipe for "Don't Give Up the Ship," but I have to agree with two users who suggested less Fernet Brana. Both suggested only 1/4 oz instead of 1/2 oz. Using 1/2 oz of Fernet Branca overwhelms the other ingredients. I enjoy Fernet Branca in cocktails, but in this case, I believe more people will enjoy the drink by reducing the Fernet Branca to 1/4 to 1/3 oz. As is, I rated this drink at 3.5.

NOTE: I used Bombay Sapphire gin. Tanqueray gins tend not to be very "Juniper-forward," except for the recently released "Bloomsbury." It is definitely a Juniper-forward gin, that, in my opinion, gin-lovers in general will enjoy,

• Reply to: The GTO   by   3 months 2 days ago

The original drink was a "double shot which was comprised of the three spirits, and chilled" - so I'd imagine this is meant to mimic that. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The GTO   by   3 months 3 days ago

Not bad, but why so small? I certainly wouldn't call it a 'shot', but it only fills half a coupe.

• Reply to: Confusion   by   3 months 4 days ago

Far, far too sweet for my tastes. Managed to kind of save it with a few dashes of angostura, 10 mL of Laphroaig, and 15 mL of Suze.

• Reply to: Last Word   by   3 months 4 days ago

I enjoy this drink quite a lot - I keep finding myself gravitating back to it when I have strayed for a while.

• Reply to: Darkside   by   3 months 4 days ago

I like this one, but the barolo chinato is a bit hard to find in my area (thank you interwebs). I have only used the star anise/lime garnish combo.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #2   by   3 months 4 days ago

I enjoy this cocktail quite a bit. My version is an oz of each element and the dash. I will have to try it with the rinse. This is particularly great after a day working in the yard, because that is when this corpse needs reviving.

• Reply to: Midori Sour   by   3 months 4 days ago

This is a minor variation on a version by Chaim Dauermann, the main differences (besides slightly tweaked specs) being lemon juice rather than lime and a housemade lime cordial instead of simple syrup, along with an expressed and discarded orange peel.

• Reply to: Oaxacan in Memphis   by   3 months 1 week ago

This gets my vote as best cocktail name ever!

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   3 months 1 week ago

I tried Montenegro.  I thought the Campari would overpower it, but it surprisingly came through.

• Reply to: Cherry Blossom (St. Germain version)   by   3 months 1 week ago

Definitely halve the amount of Maraschino; (and I love overly Maraschino'ed cocktails as a rule); but otherwise nice drink..

• Reply to: Bloodhound   by   3 months 1 week ago

This particular recipe may have been popularized by a modern Beefeater brand ambassador, but note that the Bloodhound is a classic cocktail appearing in Savoy. Most versions up the base gin to 2 oz and eschew maraschino.

I found this particular version to be blander than the 2 oz gin:1 oz french vermouth: 1 oz italian vermouth classic. It was not insipid, though & adding some sweetness to the classic (which may have used sugar-sweetened coulis anyway) isn't a bad idea.

Some variations use raspberries, which I'd be eager to try.

• Reply to: Ampersand Cocktail   by   3 months 1 week ago

Ransom, Remy and Carpano Antica -- while these great tastes should taste great together, this drink is missing an acid component that a couple of extra shots of bitters can't help.  I have dry Curaçao but I'm not sure that would do the trickk

• Reply to: White Light   by   3 months 1 week ago

There are few cocktails that I rate 4.5 or 5: a Negroni or Manhattan are a few. Well, with this cocktail, I have to add one more. Truth be told, I was torn between rating White Light as 4.5 or 5.0. If I could use my own rating scale, I would rate it "Damn Good."

By the way, the gin I used is definitely topshelf. It is Tanqueray's Bloomsburg, which is labelled as "Limited Edition." If you're a gin drinker and can get this product, get it. You won't go wrong!

• Reply to: A More Perfect Union   by   3 months 1 week ago

Well, with summer nearly over, a great many of you have missed a great summer drink, one that you can drink several of without getting bombed (because of the preponderanace of Lillet Blanc), and enjoy the nice mixture of fruit flavors (thanks for the apricot liqueur and the grapefruit zest. I waivered between rating it 4.0 or 4.5. I'll leave it to you, who may rate it 5.0. Regardless, imbibe and enjoy, summer or autumn!

• Reply to: Plymouth Express   by   3 months 1 week ago

I found that a little but of salt improved this cocktail remarkably. I used unsweetened cold brew. It could be that some more dilution from icing freshly made espresso or hot coffee would have resulted in a similar improvement to the balance.