• Reply to: Martini   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I like this variant from David Wondrich's Imbibe, called Formula #1 (Turf Club). It's a lot sweeter, but I tend to like things on the sweet side.

1.5 oz Old Tom Gin

1.5 oz Italian Vermouth

2-3 dash bitters (I used angostura, but calls for Peruvian)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Made this with what I had on hand (JB bourbon and no thyme).  Nice cocktail, but I can see how the thyme would really make it complete.  I may revise my rating up after I try it with some thyme.

• Reply to: Winter Waltz   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Tasty

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this - it now agrees with the Del Maguey site and Fred Yarm (at the link) - previously, it was 2:1/2:1/2:1

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

The Del Maguey website has this as an ounce each of Vida, fernet, heering, and lime, topped with ginger beer.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   4 months 5 days ago

An excellent drink!  I've been making this with Rye instead of bourbon - Jim Beam's of late.  I also tried a variation using Jim Beam, Amaro Nonino, and (instead of Aperol) an aperitivo I found in Paris when I was (unsuccessfully) looking for a bottle of Select- Poli's "Airone Rosso."  It worked very well. (The Italian shopkeeper in Paris told me that Airone Rosso is very similar to Select.) I also sometimes add 1/8 to 1/4 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur. And I sometimes substitute Ramazotti for the Nonino. There you have it.

• Reply to: Nation Of Two   by   4 months 5 days ago

There is a lot going on, the pepper is nice as complexity. Used buffalo trace bourbon which is already a little peppery, so that add to it.

• Reply to: Apricot and Averna Bourbon Sour   by   4 months 6 days ago

Sort of an Averna Jimjam with a bourbon backbone.

• Reply to: Campfire Sling   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated to correct syrup from 1oz to 1/4oz as per source recipe. No need for diabetes.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   4 months 1 week ago

This is the least good cocktail using elderflower I've had.  I love this stuff but this is a miss:  too much elderflower or maybe the interaction with orange is wrong.  The original Corpse Reviver #2 is better.

• Reply to: Water Lily   by   4 months 1 week ago

Despite a pleasing appearance and high expectations, I must conclude this to be one of the least flavorful, albeit balanced, cocktails I've ever had.

• Reply to: Leap Year   by   4 months 1 week ago

Subbed out Carpano formula antica for the vermouth.  Very subtle beginning, needs some time in the glass before the GM shows up.  Might try it with something other than Botanist next time.

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   4 months 1 week ago

Probably meant to be shaken, no?

• Reply to: November Witch   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

See sidebar for Bartender's Bain-Marie.

• Reply to: Meatpacker   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just tried this. Was tasty but reminded me vaguely of a tootsie roll!

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Made with 1 1/2 oz Campari, 3/4 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz lime, 1/2 oz cranberry (2 tsp unsweetened cranberry juice and 1 tsp simple syrup) and the pinch of salt. Very good.

• Reply to: Infinite Jest   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I don't know how, but this is the most painfully sour cocktail I've ever had. My jaw cramped up.

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Very nice as written. I cross this with the Kingston negroni by substituting Smith & Cross for the bourbon. Call it a Chimpgroni. Even better in my opinion.

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This is a really good drink.  Balance is right; it's one garnish or substitution or bitters away from being a classic.

• Reply to: Edgewood   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Good balance; of the 3 ingredients you'd expect to be able to taste, you can taste them all equally.  But could use another layer of flavor: herbal or fizzy, maybe?

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Looking forward to it!

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Leslie,

Thank you - there's more to come, including some pretty interesting detail about some legal aspects and brand information.

• Reply to: Black Walnut Old Fashioned   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this due to a curation request: Cleaned up instructions to avoid copyright issues. Added a link to the Robert Simonson book where it's quoted.

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Thanks for this, Zac.  I'm a relative newcomer to the world of American whiskeys and it's great to have a beginners' guide like this. You've even answered the question I'd begun to wonder about but hadn't got round to doing anything about: why bourbon is called bourbon.

Thanks again.

• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

It's that time again - we now have 36 variations of the Old Fashioned, and I'm going to thin them out (by hiding them) based on how many people have the drink in their cocktail book - I feel it's better than either deleting them or merging them into this drink and making a note. Just as a heads up, I'm also going to do this to the Negroni and the Martini - any new variations of these three drinks will need to come from a great bar or be so compelling it deserves to be seen by everyone.  Thanks, Zachary