• Raindog   15 weeks 5 days ago

Curated this: Removed fresh squeezed from the juices. We trust that you're going to use them, really.

Zachary

• Arrack Apricot Sour   15 weeks 5 days ago

Very nice. Just bought van Oosten Arrack today, so this is my first drink with it. The flavour reminds me of the scent of old logs (in a good way).

• Eastern Exposure   16 weeks 1 hour ago

Enjoyable but a little sweet. It could use something spicy and might be more enjoyable with rye like the other commenter mentioned.

• Milano Sour   16 weeks 1 hour ago

Agreed on both counts.

• Milano Sour   16 weeks 2 hours ago

Very nice. Not as good as its older brother from Trinidad but a nice use of Fernet in a cocktail.

• Aviation Cocktail   16 weeks 23 hours ago

Liked:
    2 oz gin
    1 oz lemon
    1/2 oz maraschino
    1 tsp CdV

• What's Kraken?   16 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this a bit: removed "fresh squeezed" from the OJ. Changed "Kraken Spiced Rum" to "Kraken", which is a brand of spiced rum. Removed extraneous note that was causing line breakage, clarified the twist as garnish.

Zachary

• Trinidad Sour   16 weeks 2 days ago

The Trinidad sour you know and love is wrong.

• 15 Second Punch   16 weeks 3 days ago

Two tweaks we find make it the belle of the ball, reducing to 1/2 pt campari and adding 1/2 pt simple syrup

• Crab Malice Cocktail   16 weeks 5 days ago

a little bitter but a dash of Fee's Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters rounded it out nicely.

• Wisconsin Old Fashioned   16 weeks 5 days ago

Being a Wisconsinite myself, I'm positive this drink is never referred to as a "Wisconsin Old Fashioned" in or out of the state; I'm assuming you're looking for the out-of-state description, which would be a "Brandy Old Fashioned" or a "Brandy Old Fashioned-Sweet/Sour" with the appropriate mixer

• Boulevardier Riff (Fred Sarkis)   16 weeks 5 days ago

This is great. I prefer chocolate bitters to orange here. Not sure whether the salt's necessary.

• Easy Speak   16 weeks 6 days ago

The person I made this for keeps coming up to me and telling me how good this is. I love the generous use of the Xocolatl bitters.

I used Evan Williams Black for the bourbon.

• Smokey Old Fashioned   16 weeks 6 days ago

This seems awfully sweet and awfully weak - are the measurements correct? That's just about as much spirit as water + sweetener.

Zachary

• 1818 Cocktail   16 weeks 6 days ago

Dark brown, cola colored with a slight amber hint. Nose is a rich, sweet mix of the nutty sherry and rum with hints of clove, sweet dark fruit, and allspice. Sip is light and sweet up front, perhaps from the Benedictine, and that sweetness continues onto the midpalate with the sweet dark fruit notes of the Punt e Mes combining the rum, whose flavor emerges nicely, and briefly dominates. Towards the back of the tongue, the combination of sweet nutty and lightly acidic flavors from the sherry come forward and the back of the tongue, and especially the swallow, sees the bitter herbal notes of the Punt e Mes. Often, Punt e Mes can be a bit over-bitter but in this case it is light, and just enough to provide a fantastic foil to the sweetness on the initial sip. The finish sees a slight dryness on the tongue and the sherry dominating. All in all this is a fantastic, complex, and wholly original drink, presenting flavors that most drinkers are not used to experiencing in a a sophisticated and intriguing package. Furthermore, it is a drink that evolves as it warms, becoming more rum and sherry dominant with the bitterness decreasing slightly.

• Cocktail Maison   16 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed the volume of Champagne to fit into a flute instead of "one glass", which can be vague.

Zachary

• the Sixth Borough   16 weeks 6 days ago

Colin says this cocktail isn't his. He says Max Shapiro created it.

• Windfall   17 weeks 23 hours ago

I bought some ZU brand Zubrowka on a whim, then was disappointed when most of the recipes using it called for some really exotic or time-consuming ingredients I didn't have.

This drink, though, is delightfully simple, and tastes great - the exotic flavour of the bison grass (or whatever substitute the FDA allows) really came through. I will make this again - it justified the purchase of this bottle.

• Santucci   17 weeks 1 day ago

Agreed. Made with Milagro Reposado, PeM, and Vida. Love it.

• The Man Comes Around   17 weeks 2 days ago

Interesting. I wonder why it said 15-18 drops = a dash here.

• Airbag   17 weeks 2 days ago

I guess if you put the cherry on a stick it will be ok. I took a maraschino cherry, misted the top with Ardbeg, and called it a day.

• Fort Point   17 weeks 2 days ago

Erik has confirmed it calls for apricot liqueur, making the drink a sort of Red Hook variant.

• Airbag   17 weeks 2 days ago

Presumably hold a flame under the Laphroaig-soaked cherry. I've never bothered with the flame, just the Scotch. I didn't find this as Carpano-heavy as you did, but I can definitely see how the vanilla could overpower even the bruisers (arrack, agave, allspice) in this drink.

• The Man Comes Around   17 weeks 2 days ago

Thank you! I was actually just having a discussion about what constitutes a Bittermens dash with KC's own Stew. Bittermens' Avery Glasser says 6 drops = a dash.

• California Widow   17 weeks 2 days ago

Thank you for trying it. I also wish there were elderflower eaux de vie available here; I know some are made and sold in France. (And Mad Men leads me to believe that they were available at some point in the states; at least, doddering eccentric Bert Cooper puts in a request for "spirit of elderflower" that's met with blank stares.) St. Germain actually has a eau de vie base, but I imagine that without the added acidity and sugar of a liqueur, the flavor of elderflower can seem pretty ethereal and subtle.

If you can get them, I recommend Cocktail Kingdom's wormwood bitters for drying out liqueur-heavy drinks. They give a lovely complementary complexity without adding too much flavor of their own.