• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   16 weeks 2 days ago

Serve with fingers, or another meal.

• The Brave   16 weeks 2 days ago

Ha. I'll have to try it with the Sotol then. I keep hearing great things about this drink from Texan friends.

• The Brave   16 weeks 2 days ago

Rafa,

Yeah, but Punch is wrong ;) The Sotol makes the drink.

Zachary

• The Brave   16 weeks 2 days ago

PUNCH published a slightly different recipe substituting blanco tequila for the sotol: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-brave/

• Hemingway Stripper Pole   16 weeks 4 days ago

Looks great. Might try this one out on a guest. I'll have to change the name lest they also get the image of Papa Hemingway riding a pole in their heads.

• Avioncito   17 weeks 1 hour ago

Finallt got around to trying this. Really good. I'm not a huge tequila fan but this one is a keeper. I did end up bumping the tequila to 1.5 oz to cut the sweetness from the amari

• Eva Peron   17 weeks 23 hours ago

Revisited after a couple years in an effort to finish off my bottle of Canton, and I still think this is an amazing drink. I do prefer it with a bit less lime however, and the last couple of times I made it I added a little orgeat since it plays so well with the Fernet Branca and the ginger. I amend my previous comments about the ginger beer being optional- it's a little syrupy without. However, the drink is on the sweet side and the ginger beer only adds to that. I've heard that King's ginger liqueur has more ginger flavor than the Canton that I finally finished, so I wonder if that with regular soda water would give enough ginger kick without getting too sweet.

• Eclipse   17 weeks 1 day ago

Fixed, thanks, and I love that you proofread cocktail recipes at 8 in the morning. Keep on!

• Eclipse   17 weeks 1 day ago

Haven't tried it with reposado, but imo there are no two more different age statements than reposado and añejo, they are practically different liquors. That said, I don't see why reposado wouldn't work in this drink as long as you had something hefty and peppery rather than smooth and light. It would definitely be a different drink, though.

• California Widow   17 weeks 1 day ago

Tried this tonight given all the recent comments. Delicious blend of diverse flavors. Will be ideal for the fall.

• Eclipse   17 weeks 1 day ago

I don't have any Anejo. Is it worth trying with a Reposado or will it be too different?

• California Widow   17 weeks 1 day ago

Nothing unsophisticated at all about that! I made this to showcase the interplay of pear/Benny/green Chartreuse/elderflower, with the effect that it does tend to be on the sweet side. Your solution's a good one, and I made a similar choice with a sour: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/au-pair

There are other ways to balance the sugar here that are probably worth trying: verjus, citric acid, more bitters, increasing the gin, etc. Or it could be made at half size and drunk quickly.

• California Widow   17 weeks 1 day ago

• Eclipse   17 weeks 1 day ago

Fantastic drink. On a typographical note, the creator's name is spelled "Robitschek" I believe

• California Widow   17 weeks 2 days ago

I was excited to try this, as I like St Germain with both pear and herbal liqueurs. Very good, though I admit my unsophisticated palette wanted some acidity to balance the liqueurs so I ended up adding 1/2 oz lemon juice.

• Colonel Carpano   17 weeks 2 days ago

Works pretty well with other variations of amaro and bitters. I like Ramazotti instead of Cynar here, for example.

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   17 weeks 2 days ago

Booker's or Old Grand Dad 114 should do. By all means make a 2:1 China:whiskey drink and report back :-)

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   17 weeks 2 days ago

Awww. I was kinda thinking the China would be the reversed "spirit". Still, I'm oall over this, although Stagg is a bit dear. Maybe Booker's?

• Bella Donna   17 weeks 4 days ago

Made per Dan's suggestion with no simple. Could add still more sour. As is the amaretto dominates and lime settles in at the end with just a touch of real sourness. Not a bad use for an ancient bottle of amaretto.

• Shaddock   17 weeks 5 days ago

Good stuff. Same sort of flavor judo as the Jasmine cocktail, but much easier to remember, and a bit more mild and approachable. Sort of the difference between fresh, ruby red grapefruit and older white grapefruit.

Varied this by using Hayman's gin and Lime Juice.

• Pompadour   17 weeks 5 days ago

Bonal has a Pineau-like base of lightly fermented grape must fortified with brandy, and some flavor notes in common with Pineau, but it's much more assertive, so my riff tastes quite different. I'm open to suggestions for a name.

• Pompadour   17 weeks 5 days ago

That sounds delicious, but as much as I love Bonal, the Pineau is what makes this drink special, so it's really something else entirely and deserving of its own name .

• Norma Jean   17 weeks 5 days ago

I used 3/4 oz cynar as that finished the bottle, and I was also generous with the mint. A little less simple and citrus next time, and I'll keep the extra cynar. I'm revisiting recipes I saved years ago and deleting anything I don't love from my cocktail library; this one stays.

• Pompadour   17 weeks 6 days ago

Drunklab recommended a very nice riff:

1 1/2 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina
    3/4 oz Jamaican rum (Smith & Cross)
    3/4 oz Rhum agricole
    1/4 oz Lemon juice
    1 d Bittermens Xocalatl Mole bitters
    1 twist lemon

Very, very nice.

eGullet reference

• The Doe's Path   18 weeks 2 days ago

Outstanding. Used WT101 rye and Dolin dry.