• Reply to: Golden Lion   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

<br />A surprisingly pleasant drink, one that goes down easily in a hot, late afternoon, just before dinner, or one to drink at a barbeque. I used an Aquivit by Linie, not North Shore. I have little experience with Aquivits to know if there is much difference between Linie and North Shore. Regardless, I recommend this drink to those who like Aquivit. Dolin vermouth is one of my favorites vermouths (it is in the $16 range), and I recommend the Dolin vermouths heartily. My only suggestion for this drink is to use a skinny 1/2 oz Galliano. A full 1/2 oz of Galliano tends to overwhelm the other ingredients and make for a drink that some may find too sweet. Other than that, make and enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Excellent as written using antica formula.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I considered calling it "The Devil in Miss Negroni" but worried that might be a bit gauche...

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Also there's Joaquin Simo's version :

2.0 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac

.75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

.75 oz lemon juice

1 barspoon 2:1 Demerara sugar syrup (how much is a "barspoon" anyway?)

• Reply to: Waterloo   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Nice and refreshing; doubling the lime juice doesn't hurt.

• Reply to: Scotch Cringe aka Lavender Cadaver   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Very drinkable, but I just used Maker's Mark instead of scotch (I found it ended up being great if you don't like the taste of whisky, but want to make a drink with it anyway).

• Reply to: Root Beer Barrel   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Had to do a few substitutions, but I loved the result.

• 3/4 oz Root Beer syrup from Portland Soda Works
    • 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
    • 1/4 oz Fernet Branca
    • 3/4 oz Cointreau
    • 1/4 oz Licor 43
    • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • Reply to: PS3   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Can you estimate a splash of Campari so it's reproduceable by other users? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Wicker Sunrise   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

damn, that is interestingly tasty. (or tastily interesting?)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Summer in a glass

• Reply to: Bourbon Milk Punch   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Found this variation: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016276-bourbon-milk-punch

• 1 ¼ ounces bourbon
    • ½ ounce dark rum
    • 2 ounces milk (use cream or half-and-half for a richer drink)
    • ⅛ ounce vanilla extract
    • ½ ounce simple syrup (see note)
    • Dash of grated nutmeg

In a mixing glass three-quarters filled with ice, pour the bourbon, rum, milk or cream, vanilla and simple syrup. Shake vigorously until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass. Dust with nutmeg.

Very nice!

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

It's hard to measure dash of CdV and Maraschino liqueur. I prefer the 1/4 oz CdV, 1/3-1/2 oz Maraschino along w 1/2-3/4 oz lemon juice and 2 oz gin.

• Reply to: Don't Mind If I Do   by   3 months 20 hours ago

Great Gin cocktail.

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   3 months 1 day ago

I thought the same when I saw the recipe (though it's worth noting that the quantity of simple is cut down here). If I get around to some A/B testing I'll report back!

(This also seems like something I'd stir rather than shake.)

• Reply to: Vice President   by   3 months 1 day ago

Really nice - here is a photo: https://flic.kr/p/HzBMug  - like the Campari notes, with a gentle touch of Mandarin and the sweet notes of rum underneath...

• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   3 months 2 days ago

Looking at the proportions, I was worried that this would be too sweet, but of course I was wrong to worry, as this is magically delicious. The balance is perfect.

• Reply to: Oliveto   by   3 months 2 days ago

Velvety smooth, a big hit among guests. 1/2 an egg white is enough (and this makes it easier if you're mixing two at once).

The result is quite a few ounces so use a larger coupe/cocktail glass or pour a splash for yourself. You definitely don't want to risk any overflow as the olive oil makes everything slippery and sticks around.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   3 months 4 days ago

A tasty variation I've seen called the Paper Mache subs cachaca and Averna for the bourbon and Nonino.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   3 months 5 days ago

Tonight I tried a Perfect Manhattan with Bulleit Rye, Vermouth del Professore Rosso and Vermouth la Canellese along with one dash of Angostura and one dash of Peychaud's. Very nice, indeed.

• Reply to: Boulevardier (Cure version)   by   3 months 1 week ago

I tried this drink using first the recipe as given, and then I used the recipe with the changes suggest by an unnamed person--substituting Bulleit Rye for the Rittenhouse 100 and Gran Classico for the Compari. My thoughts on the original and revised recipes are as follows: Both recipes were delicious and belong in the cocktail box of anybody who enjoys this kind of cocktail. However, I rated the original recipe as a 4.0 and the revised recipe as a 4.5. Why?

For my taste buds, the revised recipe resulted in a cocktail that was smoother more balanced. Using an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse 100 results in the rye overwhelming the other ingredients. However, many people like that standout rye taste, and the nice taste and inherent bitterness of Campari. For them, I recommend the original recipe.

Those who enjoy a mellow, smooth, and less bitter drink will prefer the revised recipe using Gran Classico and Bulleit rye. But regardless of which recipe is used, I wholeheartedly recommend this cocktail. Only one's taste preference should dictate the ingredients and recipe to be used.

• Reply to: Spare Parts   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this slightly: moved the IPA syrup instructions to the notes section to avoid line breakage. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   3 months 1 week ago

delicious.  nice one.  where did it come from exactly?

• Reply to: All In   by   3 months 1 week ago

I like it.  Not sure about the instruction to discard the peel - certainly with Rittenhouse 100 as the rye there's no need to be delicate!

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   3 months 1 week ago

Excellent cocktail. One of my recent favorites. Note: It's not good when you run out of Irish whiskey and try to sub in blended scotch.

• Reply to: Ce Acatl   by   3 months 1 week ago

A very tasty cocktail; sweet but not too sweet and slightly tart. All of the flavors blend together to make a cocktail that can easily become one's favorite. I did not include a dash of Luxardo Maraschino as suggested in a prior comment. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it can improve what is already a great drink. My fear is that the Luxardo might overwhelm the balance of flavors. But, keeping an open mind, I will try it. Who knows--maybe it can be fixed even though it's not broken!