• Reply to: American Beauty   by   4 months 2 days ago

Curated this slightly - This appears in Embury and in the Savoy. It has the feel of a Prohibition-era drink: sweet, with a lot of orange juice. I can't wrap my brain around OJ, and Port and creme de menthe...  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Corpse Defiler #666   by   4 months 2 days ago

This is a nice drink, and it deserves a nicer name!

• Reply to: You Only Live Twice   by   4 months 2 days ago

Although I forgot the absinthe rinse, I really enjoyed this drink. I used Senior's white Curacao, which I like, and Old Overholt Rye, which I don't like as much as Bulleit's.  But I would say that this drink is my favorite of the 4 or 5 similar recipes I tried out over the weekend (Fernetaboutit, Corpse Defiler 666, Bitter Apricot, Death is not the End).

• Reply to: Fernetaboutit   by   4 months 2 days ago

This is a nice drink.  Over the weekend, I made a Fernetaboutit, Death is not the End, Corpse Defiler 666, Bitter Apricot, and a You Only Live Twice.  I was looking for ways to use Bonal Gentiane Quina, at first.  This drink is a good digestif, I will surely make it again.

• Reply to: Death Is Not The End   by   4 months 2 days ago

Based on the recipe, I made one of these with Liber's Pineapple Gum Syrup, rather than the pineapple juice discussed in several of the comments.  I thought I was a very nice after-dinner drink, with the Fernet herbals winning out over the Chartreuse.

• Reply to: The Sanny   by   4 months 1 week ago

A little too sweet.

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   4 months 1 week ago

Rafa,

Got it. As an aside, this is why it's so important to properly cite the creator, year and location a drink was first made. Imagine if people took good notes back pre-Prohibition. We'd know a lot more about cocktails today than we do.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   4 months 1 week ago

This drink is by Jessica Gonzalez.

• Reply to: Shelter from the Storm   by   4 months 1 week ago

Just made a glass of this.  Delicious.  Despite a large amount of non-alcoholic ingredients, it never feels diluted or washed out, and the rum shines through very nicely.

• Reply to: Singapore Cricket Club Gin Sling   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I like this but it needs a catchier name.  Maybe something cricket based.  There's already a Leg Before Wicket, what about the Spin Bowler?

• Reply to: The Rhyme & Reason   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Good drink! I added another .5oz rum and cut the syrup down to .5oz. Great drink!

• Reply to: Cointreau Palomita   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this per a curation request: Added soda and grapefruit twist, as per the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary.

• Reply to: The Carrauntouhill   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I'd leave the cream out: I shook the hell out of it, but the froth dissipated when I added the rest. Maybe some atholl brose instead of the cream?

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Rather splendid tonight with Garvey's Esplendido Spanish brandy. Dial back the simple a little.

• Reply to: Flor de Jalisco   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

FWIW the Death & Co. book has this as 1/4 oz. agave nectar instead of 1/2 oz. agave syrup, and no garnish.

• Reply to: Bedford-Stuyvesant   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Now there's a nabe that doesn't deserve a Brooklyn riff.

(Cf. Williamsburg. May that stretch of transplanted Times Square never have a drink to call its own.)

• Reply to: Tango 'til They're Sore   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I tried this with Benedictine, instead of Maraschino, as suggested by Rafa. It's fantastic, if a touch sweet. Another great use of Benedictine (so far I know of only two: this and the Vieux Carre).

• Reply to: Tribe of the Horned Heart   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Finally, yes, something worthy of the vanilla superfine sugar I made a while back (figuring it's easy to turn it into a syrup in a moment). This is one of those things that is so good that you just kinda giggle at first sip. I think I made my syrup a bit on the saturated side, but whatever: those little flecks of vanilla bean floating on top are so lovely.

Also, maybe I'm boneheaded not to realize this sooner, but pouring over the soda holds the froth from shaking very well. I won't forget that trick. Thanks!

• Reply to: Black Lodge   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

This is very good. I think this will be a go to drink this fall.

For a variation I subbed a coffee liqueur I made for the Cynar. Kind of a Twin Peaks mash-up with the Dale Cooper. Not bad.

• Reply to: Dale Cooper   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Tasty. I like to drop the maraschino and use a full 1/2 oz of Heering. But that's just me.

• Reply to: Refresh The Night   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this: removed extraneous information from the notes. Capitalized the name of the drink. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Hattori Hanzo   by   5 months 10 hours ago

As fruity as Ozeki is, I'm sure the use of an unflavored sake in place of what's essentially a sake-based yuzu liqueur changes the flavor of the drink quite a bit. Glad you enjoyed it regardless.

• Reply to: Hattori Hanzo   by   5 months 13 hours ago

Although the closest I could come was St Cllement Rhum Agricole and Ozeki Dry, I thought this was a nice drink (I do have Senior Curaçao and Cocchi.) I also used Key limes, perhaps 1/2 oz would have sufficed.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   5 months 19 hours ago

Muddle 3-4 ripe raspberries along with standard ingredients for a nice summertime variation.

• Reply to: Perfect Storm   by   5 months 1 day ago

Quite good. Made a second as a slight variation, swapping rye for bourbon, Wigle Landlocked Spiced (a spiced rum made with honey instead of sugar) for the honey syrup + pimiento dram, and orange for lemon.