• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

<br />I stumbled upon this recipe and your notes. The one English gin, which is readily accessible and may work, is Tanqueray 10, which is notable for its citrus and floral notes. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how things work out using Tanqueray 10.

Also, your notes go back to 2011 (my! how time flies!). In the intervening years, gin's popularity has increased. So, perhaps a microbrewery has developed a gin with the notes you are looking for. The newer American gins I have tasted or reviewed are not the light, fruity tasting gin you are looking for. Perhaps something has developed in England, however. Good luck in your search.

• Reply to: Arsenic and Old Lace   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

A posted version of the recipe lists 1/4 oz absinthe and 3/4 oz vermouth, which seems more reasonable.

Source: http://magazine.foxnews.com/amp/article/139416

• Reply to: Paddington   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Surprisingly delicate. A good brunch cocktail.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Negroni   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

<br />One fine Mezcal drink! For me, Mezcal took some getting used to because of its smokiness: some Mezcal-based drinks were barely drinkable; a fair number were OK, but...; only a few were anything to write home about. This drink, the Oaxacan Negroni, is in the last category. In fact, I couldn't write home fast enough about it. Yes, it has a smokey taste, but it's competing with other strong tastes, especially Campari. However, even the subtle notes of the Antica Formula vermouth (such as its vanilla notes) get through to make a georgous, tasteful drink that is not easy to put down--until the glass is empty. I had an easy time rating this drink, at 5.0. It is truly a wonderful drink to sip and relish its many flavors and complexity.

• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Regarding the prior comments:  Choose your rye carefully; WhistlePig 10 years and Templeton 4 years are light in flavor and sweet. Templeton 6 years, Wild Turkey and Knob Creek, however, have more body and different flavors. The rye you choose will have a defining impact on the taste of this drink.

Choose carefully, also, your vermouth. Antica Formula is my favorite vermouth. I used, however, Vermut Negre, a dark but not too sweet vermouth. I then used only two drops of Xocolatl Mole, not three, which was fine for me. This was the first time I drank this cocktail, but I humbly rank the resultant cocktail at 4.5. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

• Reply to: Aphrodite and Eros   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Delightful! I didn't have the cardamom to muddle so I gave it two drops of cadamom bitters.

• Reply to: Amer Picon "Pouffle" Fizz   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is pretty tasty.

Note (re. the previous ~5 yr-old comment) that 1/4 tsp is actually less than 2 modern dashes of the product.

• Reply to: The Aztec Snow   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Too high proof for egg white: it curdled.

• Reply to: Collo Rosso   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

<br />Four strong-tasting ingredients, yet they don't clash. Instead, they come together nicely to make Collo Rosso (Italian for Red Neck). Although the Campari's taste tops all the others, the rum and bourbon are not far behind. And fortunately, the sweetness of the vermouth manages to peek through and give the necessary sweetness to provide the balance needed to make this the great drink that it is.

This is one of those drinks that will be enjoyed either before or after dinner--or on a lazy weekend afternoon, while watching your favorite college team (such as the U of Mich) whoomping on your college's favorite enemy team). Make the Collo Rosso, sit back, and enjoy. I rated this libation as a 4.0.

• Reply to: Moto Guzzi   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

<b What a drink! Just two ingredients, but they mix well and make a satisfying drink. I polished off my bottle of Booker's with this recipe, but it was worth it. Some might like a sweeter vermouth other than Punt e Mes, which will be a matter of taste, just as some might like a different overproof bourbon.

Regardless, changing overproof bourbon brands and using a different sweet vermouth will probably still result in a cocktail that will satisfy most bourbon lovers. By the way, I added two drops of Fee's Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters, with a pleasant improvement. Others may prefer a different bitter; experimentation is the key. I rated the Moto Guzzi between 3.5-4.0.

• Reply to: Dale Cooper   by   3 months 4 days ago

Big +1 to using Heering instead of Maraschino. One of my favorite drinks of all time when made this way!

• Reply to: Pera Rosa   by   3 months 4 days ago

Nice - same basic ingredients - had to substitute absolut pear vodka for the eau de vie.

• Reply to: Thamyris   by   3 months 5 days ago

<br />Thamyris is one of those lovely drinks that is easy to love and yet you don't know why. There is a multiplicity of flavors that come through, without clashing. For this libation I would recommend a gin that is soft, easy on the juniper. Martin Miller's and Knickerbocker Barrel Gin come to mind. Tanqueray Ten should do well, also because it emphasizes floral and citris flavors; but not Tanqueray, which is heavy on juniper.

To make this cocktail I used Knickerbocker Barrerl Gin and King's Ginger Liqueur, plus the other named ingredients. Thamyris is a great before or after dinner drink--a somewhat heavy in flavor drink, but with the right gin, it will go down like water--only more satisfying. I rated it 4.0.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   3 months 5 days ago

A bit too sweet, I think. Still very nice. Will try slightly different proportions at a later time.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   3 months 5 days ago

• Reply to: White Oak Propeller   by   3 months 6 days ago

Curated this slightly - moved the long notes from the body of the drink to the notes section, so it doesn't blow out line breaks. Changed 3 2/5 oz vermouth to 3/4 - I'm guessing this is what you want to meet the Paper Airplane? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   3 months 1 week ago

Very nice. I wasn't going to devote an entire bottle of Campari to occasional home use, so I just floated a star anise.  A little more infusion time may have been betetr, but it was a good drink anyway.  Conveniently, 20 star anise in 750ml is near enough to one in 30ml (1oz).

• Reply to: Madhattan   by   3 months 1 week ago

<br />This is an interesting, quite drinkable cocktail whose full potential has not yet been realized. I read the comment by one user who said that perhaps another amaro should be used. The comment about Jack Daniels Black (which I'm inclined to use when the recipe doesn't specify the bourbon) gave me pause. So I decided to make some changes, and see if they would do any better

I decided to use a lighter tasting rye than, say, Rittenhouse or Bulleit, so I chose WhistlePig 10 rye (100 proof) which is lighter and less dry than many other ryes (it's comprable to Templeton 4 years rye in that regard). I also added a moderate amount of lemon zest--you'll have to eyeball what a moderate amount is-- and the peel. I found the resultant drink to be quite satisfying. Zwack's bitterness was kept under control, and Amaro Lucano brought an acceptable amount of sweetness to the drink. I rated the cocktail, as I constructed it, as 3.5.

As is, the Madhattan is a satisfying pre-dinner drink, and with additional modifications, I believe this cocktail should ultimately be rated at least at 4.0. Suggestions for improvements, please.

• Reply to: Vigoroso   by   3 months 1 week ago

Another Negroni-style cocktail. It seems like there's no end to them. And thank goodness, I say! It is true that some of these variations taste alike, or at least so similar that it's hard to tell the difference between one and the other. Fortunately the "Vigoroso" does taste substantialy different, thanks to the barrel-aged Genever. Otherwise, it would be another same old same old.

When I considered the ingredients of the posted recipe, I thought the cocktail would be too sweet. With that in mind, I made a major change that resulted in a more balanced tasting cocktail. The change was to measure 1/3 oz of Aperol, and then add enough Campari to bring the mixture up to the 3/4 oz mark. The Campari added a much needed bitterness to bring a balance to the drink. The minor change had to do with the orange bitters. Instead of Regans' #6, I used Fee Bros gin barrel-aged orange bitters. I believe it was this year that Fee Bros put this product on the market. Its orange flavor is akin to Angustora orange bitters, which has a poignant but natural tasting orange flavor. Prior to the introduction of their gin barrel-aged orange bitter, the only orange bitters Fee Bros sold was its West Indies orange bitters, with an orange flavor that is subtle and somewhat sweet.

All in all, the Vigoroso is worth trying. If you think the posted recipe will be too sweet, or you find that it IS too sweet, add some Campari. But whether you use the posted recipe, or modify it, I believe you'll enjoy this Negroni-style cocktail. I rated the modified recipe at 4.0. Sometime soon, I'll try the recipe unchanged to see what I think of it. Who knows? It may be as good or better unmodified.

• Reply to: Pearls Before Swine   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Added the ice. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Last Word   by   3 months 1 week ago

substitute lime for lemon and you have "Final Word"

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   3 months 1 week ago

<br />A very nice after-dinner drink, with a delicious multiplicity of flavors.

I used Starbucks coffee liqueuer (it's OK, but I wonder how well Kahlua would work, with its rum base), the Mezcal comes through despite the heaviness of Starbucks, as does the cherry flavoring from Herring. The Black Walnut bitters by Fee Bros is one of my favorite non-fruit, non-aromatic bitters. But in Tobacco Road #2, I found two dashes were needed to bring out the desired taste of that bitters; the black walnut bitters simply was overwhelmed by the coffee liquer using only one dash.

Finally, I made one other change that rounded out the various flavors, and added not only more depth to the already existing blend of flavors, but definitely complimented them as well. Simply, I added a single dash of Xocolatl Mole, for a wonderful subtle cocholate flavor. Very, very nice.

Whether you stay with the Tobacco Road #2 as written, or make either or both of the two small changes I suggest, you'll find this a flavorful, relaxing cocktail, either after a great dinner, or simply a cocktail to imbibe and relax with in the evening.

• Reply to: Varnish   by   3 months 1 week ago

I loved this with Highland Park 12. My wife didn't, which surprised me since she likes both ingredients individually. I'd try this again with an Islay.

• Reply to: What's He Building In There?   by   3 months 1 week ago

We have a right to know.

• Reply to: Tarleton's Resurrection   by   3 months 1 week ago

Definitely on the sweet side but I quite liked it; subbed 1 dash Cherry and 1 dash Plum bitters, would probably go with all plum next time. Wouldn't increase the lemon myself as it's plenty acidic enough, reduce the heering to a 1/2 or 1/4 oz.