• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Very sweet as written. I added another part of dry vermouth, but even then it was too sweet. I would like to try this again as perhaps 2 oz spirit and a total of 1 oz sweet.

• Reply to: Leather and Lace   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated from 5 to 0.5 oz syrup, which I assume was the intended amount.

• Reply to: La Viña   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

My variation:

1 1/2 oz Rye
    3/4 oz Amaro Nonino
    1/2 oz Amontillado (dry)
    1/2 oz PX
    1 dash Regans'

Very nice indeed.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Related to the song by Elbow? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxczVhG0os8

• Reply to: San la Muerte   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I didn't think too much of it, I didn't find the chipotle particularly pleasing with the sweetness of the Licor 43—2 stars. I like the Margarilla much better, a very similar drink but with much less Licor 43 that let's the tequila make itself felt.

• Reply to: Havana Crusta   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Pretty nice together, didn't blow me away, but a solid 3 star drink. I may have liked it a bit tarter, but I'd fade that way usually anyway.

• Reply to: The Adams   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Diabolique was used because we have a cordials license at Estragon and that was the only bourbon we could serve. Try it with rye as well if you want it a little more spice-forward.

• Reply to: Amari & friends   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Tossolini Amaro, much more bitter orange and less herbal, easy mixing, imported by Niche Import Co.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

If you can find it, try Unicum Plum. Delicious.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I brought it back from New York (Astor W&S). I bought it exclusively to make The Fall of Man, which was very good but not as good as some other Beta cocktails that required rare ingredients (like the Warning Label - Lemon Hart 151 is the best).

Unicum is so much better than Zwack. It's closer to Fernet, which actually might be an ok substitution in this drink.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Fess up. You found Zwack Unicum amaro and not just Zwack Next liqueur? Where?

• Reply to: New Hat Batched   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Needs instructions. I also think this would be better written as a one-drink non-batched recipe, with instructions for batching.

• Reply to: The Chanticleer Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Quite good, and heightened finely by a couple drops of oleo saccharum (should you have it on hand).

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I 2nd the comparison to ruby grapefruit. I'm fine with bitter, but this is a funny combo of bitter and acidic. Made with mediocre gin, so maybe botanicals save it. For the record I'm not a grapefruit fan, so maybe it's me, too.

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to conform to style guidelines. I agree, as written, it will not fit in a proper-sized cocktail glass. Would need a 10 oz glass or so. Serve with two staws?? ;)

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Are the amounts correct? 5.5 oz seems like an awfully large drink (even at low abv). Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Sencha Flip   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I think it's better to infuse the tea in the gin, as adding all that water to egg white gives you a watery drink. Oh, I also sell sencha: http://www.kentwang.com/sencha-tea.html

• Reply to: Tommy Gun   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated  this. Removed picture and note and rewrote instructions to avoid copyright issues. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: White Tai   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Wonderful nose, really highlighted the rum and lime elements, just a hint of sweet.  I always use a lighter touch with the orgeat.  Might sub out one of the rums for Arrack Batavia cause I happen to have it.  5 star.

• Reply to: Lonesome Dove   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Like the name and the concept of this drink.  I made a "version" of it with muddled dark brown sugar, plum bitters, and blackberries.  And just shook the lemon, bourbon, and honey syrup (no allspice dram on hand).  I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.  I really like drinks that turn out deep purple in color like this one did.

• Reply to: Volstead (revised)   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Mmm, nice. A smidge more Punsch on my end and I'm happy.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   4 months 50 min ago

Agreed, I'd like to retry it with two ounces rum to a half ounce each Mandarine and Campari, with maybe a dash of bitters. Seems like a waste of a premium rum to background it.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   4 months 1 hour ago

Made it with Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos.
    It looks like Mandarine Napoleon and Campari are at the spotlight, and not the rum. Anyway, interesting combination of gentian and tangerine with rum background. Sweet but not cloying.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply to: Flaming Homer   by   4 months 1 hour ago

Curated for correct brand of Maurin Quina.

• Reply to: Moonage Daydream   by   4 months 4 hours ago

A variation from emulch:
    Hanky Zacapa
    2 oz Guatemalan rum, Zacapa
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Dolin
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Punt e Mes
    1 bsp Fernet Branca (heavy)
    1 ds Bitters, Angostura