• Reply to: Pocket Square   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Deliciously bitter. My wife won't stop taking sips.

• Reply to: Casino   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

There are a few different ratios used for this cocktail, but I believe the Savoy calls for 2 dashes (1/8 oz or so) each on the maraschino and lemon juice, not 3/4 oz.

• Reply to: After Coffee   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Really nice.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

It is an odd instruction.  Tried the drink last night with a mist of absinthe in the serving glass and I still think it got lost.  Not a bad drink overall, through.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I suppose it depends on what your definition of a drop is - I can't see how a drop of anything would coat the inside of a mixing glass (or be noticeable through an ounce of spirit and an ounce of amaro). From what I can tell, 6 drops = 1 dash, though a dash isn't a very specific sort of measurement.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Looks to me like the referenced recipe calls for one *drop*, rather than one dash, of absinthe, to rinse the mixing glass.

That's the alternative given to misting the mixing glass with absinthe.

(As an aside, I don't quite get the point of doing such a rinse on the mixing vessel.)

• Reply to: Single Father's Day   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Really? The combination sounds interesting, but I can't imagine wanting more than 1/2 oz blackberry juice.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this. Removed note and rewrote instructions to avoid copyright issues. Clarified instructions to match our guidelines to the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   5 months 1 day ago

Gilded Mezcal

I used closer to 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice and stirred with two two ice cubes before straining and serving up in a coupe. Amazingly delicious!

• Reply to: Juarez   by   5 months 1 day ago

I stirred with one ice cube and garnished with a single dark cherry.

• Reply to: Fresca   by   5 months 2 days ago

Curated this slightly. As per - changed Chartreuse to Yellow Chartreuse, added date, changed type to "own creation" Thanks,  Zachary.

• Reply to: Shade Saver   by   5 months 4 days ago

I like the balance between the ingredients. I changed it from 3/4 oz of simple syrup to 1 Tbsp of sugar (a bit less) since bourbon and applejack are already pretty sweet. I also think that muddling the coriander, sugar, a dash of water, and bitters together did a better job of releasing the coriander taste, though it was more work.

• Reply to: Hugo Montenegro   by   5 months 4 days ago

Flavors are very reminiscent of a Negroni, but obviously derived from distinct spirits. I used silver tequila (Corralejo Blanco) since age wasn't specified, and I think it stood up well to the other ingredients. Described by my drinking partner as "refreshing", and I agree - almost dangerously smooth. Would make it again. Another tasty drink by Stew.

• Reply to: The Bitter Venetian   by   5 months 4 days ago

Nice use of the Amaro Nonio, plays up the orange notes. Might be nice on the rocks on a hot day.

• Reply to: Ancho and Lefty   by   5 months 4 days ago

I didn't care for it, the vermouth and the mezcal don't play very well together in my opinion; leave an acrid flavor at the end.

• Reply to: JDP   by   5 months 5 days ago

Decrease maraschino to 1/2 oz, up apricot liqueur to 3/4 oz

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   5 months 5 days ago

Thanks very much, it was neat to be added a second time in 2 years.  I recommend trying this with other more "traditional" aquavit as well.  Cheers!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   5 months 6 days ago

I won't lie - it's bitter as hell. On purpose. :)

• Reply to: Miraflores   by   5 months 1 week ago

Good drink but just a tad sweet for me.  Maybe another 1/4 oz more lime juice and .75oz grapefruit juice?

• Reply to: Boulevard des Rêves   by   5 months 1 week ago

Made this tonight with Old Grand Dad 114 because that's the highest-proof bourbon I have. Love it!

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   5 months 1 week ago

I just made this with añejo tequila in place of the gin as a hunch. I might like it even better than the original - good stuff!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   5 months 1 week ago

I reallly like this - pushes all my bitterest buttons. Wife hated it. Can't win 'em all ...

• Reply to: Crux   by   5 months 1 week ago

Delicious cocktail. Great sidecar alternative, particularly if looking for something less cognac forward.

• Reply to: Lucino's Delight   by   5 months 1 week ago

Specified the amaro, tightened up the instructors to our style guidelines, and added the reference. Sounds good. Not too sweet?

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   5 months 1 week ago

Made one the other night for the first time in a while and it was even better than I remembered.  This is a truly outstanding cocktail.

I've been making this with Niessen Agricole Blanc and think its grassy funkiness amps up the herbaceous qualities of the Art of Choke.  I've never had the Depaz so I can't say what may have set off the previous commenter.  I recently got a bottle of the Wray & Nephew and will try that the next time I make one.

Edit: Tonight I tried one made with Wray & Nephew Overproof. Didn't really like it at all. The W&N added nothing but alcohol heat and the balance seemed lost. I felt it was necessary to be positive so in the interest of the greater good I made a second with the Niessen and it was much better!