• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

a) Definitely for AFTER breakfast. b) See reference.

Honestly though, it's not as strong (tasting) as it looks.

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Congratulations, Scott, on Gaz's 101 Best New Cocktails 2014. I just got the newsletter from Gaz, read the recipe, and thought, "Hey, that sounds familiar...."

• Reply to: Black Negroni   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I've got nice result with equal parts of 120 proof gin, Campari and Averna (with Bitter Truth Orange and Aromatic bitters). It seems not as sweet as with standard proof gin and Angostura/Regan's. Maybe it helps...

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

a) 1 1/2 oz of W&N? That's a lot of booze in one drink. b) Petrol?!?

• Reply to: Earthbound Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Could we call a "splash" a barspoon? Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Thanks, Dan! Do let us know what you think about it on the rocks.  We tend to favor drinks like this straight up, but it's definitely a slow sipper that way, so a gradual dilution might be interesting as well.  Couldn't find anything on Laurie King's twitter...can you point us to what you saw?

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I wish more people agreed with you.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I'm glad you are so obedient, DrunkLab! Oh well.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I'm sure Ms. King will be pleased. She inquired on twitter. This recipe tipped me over the edge to buy another bottle of yellow. I have Sterga and Galliano, but I wanted to try it as written.Green might walk over the more subtle aspects of the Sibilia, but I'm game to try it. Really great cocktail. This might be best on the rocks, though. It's a thoughtful drink, and as you linger, the additional dilution will let it evolve a bit. I don't think there's much risk of becoming watery.

• Reply to: Dubois Margarita   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Really nice. Had a delicious peppery flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I tried a variation based on Dan's suggestion: 1 oz Campari to a half ounce each Creole Shrubb and unsweetened cranberry juice, pinch of salt. Nicely tart and bitter, but I missed the lime flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 months 8 hours ago

I used to do a drink with unsweetened cranberry juice, lime peel-heavy falernum, and white rum. Unsweetened cranberry juice isn't as acidic as citrus (or the bottled stuff isn't anyway) but it's still a fun and underexplored mixer. Good call.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 months 9 hours ago

This is crying out for a variation with unsweetened cranberry juice and no lime. :)

• Reply to: Puerto Rican Rum   by   3 months 9 hours ago

Just a quick note—Captain Morgan is no longer produced in Puerto Rico. It is now made in the US Virgin Islands.

While it's true that rums made in Puerto Rico are lighter in body and character than rums from, say, Jamaica, it's misleading to say they're scarcely differentiated from vodka. Bottlings like Palo Viejo and Caliche, containing a high proportion of heavy rums in their blends, have a full, molasses-y flavor that compares favorably, in my view, to Havana Club Añejo 3 year. The Barrilito expressions are robust and rummy. Even Don Q Cristal, the most popular rum among Puerto Ricans, has vanilla and spice notes from barrel aging, and makes a flavorful Daiquiri.

All Puerto Rican rums are aged for a legal minimum of one year in oak in bonded warehouses. Most bottlings are a blend of light-bodied and heavy-bodied (long ferment, lower distilling proof) rums. I've tasted the heavy rums on their own and found them surprisingly English/Jamaican in style (albeit less funky than, say, Wray & Nephew White Overproof). Granted, the character of most blends is still light (the heavy rum being equivalent to a touch of Islay in a blended Scotch). Distilleries sometimes bottle their aguardientes (low wines), which are intensely flavored, like eaux de vie of molasses.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 months 1 day ago

We haven't tried the Sibilla with green yet, but I don't think it would be a wasted effort!  We thought the yellow would pair better with the honey tones, and it does seem to play nicely with that amaro.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 months 1 day ago

Yes, it is....one of our favorite post-Doyle Holmes stories

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 months 1 day ago

Any thoughts on making this with green Chartreuse? I haven't splurged for a bottle of yellow yet but I'm always looking for things to do with Sibilla.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 months 1 day ago

Named for the eponymous book in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R King?

• Reply to: Doff Your Hat   by   3 months 2 days ago

The genever gets a little lost here.

• Reply to: Navy Dock Daiquiri   by   3 months 4 days ago

Smith & Cross is definitely not for everyone.

• Reply to: Amulet   by   3 months 4 days ago

This is a duplicate; ignore :-).

• Reply to: Amulet   by   3 months 4 days ago

Then I have failed.

• Reply to: Navy Dock Daiquiri   by   3 months 4 days ago

Overall, I haven't loved Smith & Cross, but this wasn't bad.

• Reply to: Amulet   by   3 months 4 days ago

Delicious but nothing like an omelet.

• Reply to: Tango 'til They're Sore   by   3 months 5 days ago

Quite nice anise notes to a Redhook variant. I might try 1/2 oz dry vermouth for sugar balance next time.