• Norma Jean   14 weeks 1 day ago

I used 3/4 oz cynar as that finished the bottle, and I was also generous with the mint. A little less simple and citrus next time, and I'll keep the extra cynar. I'm revisiting recipes I saved years ago and deleting anything I don't love from my cocktail library; this one stays.

• Pompadour   14 weeks 1 day ago

Drunklab recommended a very nice riff:

1 1/2 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina
    3/4 oz Jamaican rum (Smith & Cross)
    3/4 oz Rhum agricole
    1/4 oz Lemon juice
    1 d Bittermens Xocalatl Mole bitters
    1 twist lemon

Very, very nice.

eGullet reference

• The Doe's Path   14 weeks 4 days ago

Outstanding. Used WT101 rye and Dolin dry.

• French Maid   14 weeks 4 days ago

Made with a cheap brandy and homemade falernum and it was fantastic. I was trepidatious about shaking the carbonated ginger beer so I added it after the shake. (Does that go without saying, along with the double strain?) 5/5

• Islay be seeing you   14 weeks 5 days ago

Asian markets, a lot of the times near the soy sauce.

Zachary

• Border Trilogy   14 weeks 5 days ago

I added this cocktail to my book just for this comment...And Cormac McCarthy is a great author...but mainly...the comment...

• Islay be seeing you   14 weeks 5 days ago

Where might one find Yuzu juice?

• Tribe of the Horned Heart   14 weeks 6 days ago

I never saw much need for vanilla syrup (with so many other ingredients, including most brown spirits, having strong vanilla flavors already) but after working with it in my bar I have to admit it has its uses, particularly when paired with white spirits that don't usually get the barrel treatment (kirsch here, but also genever).

This drink was inspired by a sour from Momofuku Ssam Bar that mixes Smith & Cross with a touch of Laphroaig and a house-made vanilla-clove syrup.

• Kinsey Report   14 weeks 6 days ago

As FrogPrincesse points out on eGullet, my suggestion makes a drink very much like Allan Katz' Negroni riff the Rope Burn, which I've since added to the database: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/rope-burn

Made with Campari, I too found it syrupy, but no more so than a Negroni, and balanced by the crazy aromas and flavors. Adding another part of dry vermouth sounds like a great idea, however, as I've found that doing that can often elongate and settle all-booze drinks that otherwise have too much going on.

Unrelatedly, I believe Stew's right about SLK's preferred name for this drink being Patois.

• Green Hornet   15 weeks 1 day ago

Added some El Guapo chicory/pecan bitters. Turned out really nice.

• For whom the sun rises   15 weeks 2 days ago

I decided to try this since my bottle of Sibilla hasn't been touched in over a year (it's intense!) and I really like grapefruit juice with other amari such as Cynar. I did make the following substitutions: Luxardo Maraschino as that is what I have, honey syrup instead of simple since it was made, and a pinch of kosher salt instead of making a solution. My grapefruit was pink, but I'd like to try white when I can find one.

Thoughts: for me, better on the rocks- the extra dilution and chilling softened the bitter and sweet notes. The maraschino was just a bit too dominant. I haven't had Maraska's brand in a couple years but I remember it being mellower. I'm tempted to play with adding a touch of something like Maurin Quina or Gran Classico next time, and maybe a little more lime, but overall this is good.

• Kinsey Report   15 weeks 2 days ago

Tried this with Campari and found it needed an additional equal part of dry vermouth to tame the syrupy sweetness.

• Tribe of the Horned Heart   15 weeks 4 days ago

The vanilla syrup terrifies me. I need to face my fears.

• The Ninth Ward   15 weeks 4 days ago

I've been looking for something to do with my Velvet Falernum, and this is it! What an incredibly well balanced drink. A perfect intro for those that think they don't like bourbon. I've already tricked a few friends into liking a bourbon with this one.

• Chaplin   15 weeks 5 days ago

Enjoyed a super tasty variation with Averna instead of Ramazotti and 1/4oz Orancio vermouth instead of triple sec (alt ways to get hint of orange and balance sweetness). Really nice

• String Theory   15 weeks 5 days ago

I've just been using Bittermens Hellfire Shrub, though the more heat you can get, I would think the better.

• Kissed by Fire   15 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the edits, Zachary!

• Kissed by Fire   15 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this slightly: removed "fresh" from peels, we assume that. Changed the Orange Bitters to Gin Barrel Aged, instead of Gin Aged.

Zachary

• Slapping Incident   15 weeks 6 days ago

Is this meant to go into a 10 ounce Collins glass? If so, can we call a "splash" of tonic about 2 ounces?

Zachary

• Halcyon   15 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this: removed "Herb liqueur" as a brand of Cynar. Changed Nocelli to Walnut liqueur as the ingredient of Nocello.

Zachary

• String Theory   15 weeks 6 days ago

Are you using the Baker recipe for the Hellfire Bitters, or something else? Could you post a quick recipe for them?

Zachary

• Cobble Hill   16 weeks 17 hours ago

Very light and moderately dry. A bit of muddling wouldn't hurt to get more cucumber into the flavor profile. A nice variation, but not one I would return to often.

• Ramona Flowers   16 weeks 21 hours ago

This cocktail is so good I registered an account just to say so.

Thanks for giving me something other than an Aviation to consume my Violette.

• Louis' Mistress   16 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this slightly: Pamplemousse Rose is a brand of grapefruit liqueur made by Combier.

Zachary

• Pony Express   16 weeks 3 days ago

Brian writes that Qi White Tea Liqueur is no longer available.