• Reply to: Baby, You’re Driving   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated to conform to source recipe, especially using Bison Grass vodka, which is very different from regular vodka.

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   2 months 1 week ago

The Hennessy site specifies Nonino as the amaro: http://www.hennessy.com/en-int/art-of-mixing/worldwide-mix/6126-sempre

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   2 months 1 week ago

Works wonders with Rittenhouse, Linie, Professore Vermouth, Benedictine, Ango and Peach Bitters!

• Reply to: Stenton   by   2 months 1 week ago

Excellent. I used lemon because orange scares me (uh, and I didn't have one on hand). I'd try the orange next time.

Update: Made again with orange juice and peel. Much better. I also sub'd a very strong and bitter version of Amer Boudreau for the CioCiaro. Excellent.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   2 months 1 week ago

Pretty good. For the unspecified bitters I used Angostura for one drink and Peychaud's for the other. Ango was better.

• Reply to: Mark Twain Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Prefer 2oz scotch and 1/2oz simple

• Reply to: Eva Peron   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Never having tried it with Canton, I just made this with King's Ginger, 3/4 oz of lime, and soda instead of ginger beer.  I thought the flavor balance was good, not too sweet, but the ginger was more subtle than big-kick.

• Reply to: Landing Gear Fizz   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this: removed copyrighted text and rewrote it, added date, estimated the amount of soda at 3 ounces (this is a small 3.25 oz pre-chill drink). Added garnishes. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rusty Automaton   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I love a good bourbon or rye drink, and this one is very drinkable. It's a good "after work but before dinner" drink. And it's one that is great in the evening after dinner. I'm not sure why the small amount of bourbon--maybe just to appease bourbon drinkers. Regardless, it's a great drink and one that deserves to become a favorite across the U.S.

Addendum: It's several months later, and I decided to try the "Rusty Automaton" again--only now with a little more Bourbon. This time I added 1/4 oz of Jim Beam black label. If my memory is correct, the drink is a tad better with a tad more Bourbon. As much as I enjoy Bourbon, I believe more than !/4 oz Bourbon is asking for trouble. Right now, both the Rye and the Bourbon come through; but with a greater amount of Bourbon, the rye's taste would be compromised. Originally I rated this cocktail at 4.0, but with the small increase in Bourbon (from 1/6 oz to 1/4 oz), I now rate the "Rusty Automaton" at 4.5. Enjoy this and other cocktails, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Excellent. A very nice Negroni, indeed!

• Reply to: Polka Dot Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

<br />Despite the forward-Juniper gin (I used Tanqueray's Bloomsbury Gin), and despite that I'm writing this review in mid-September, I found the Polka Dot Negroni to be a light, slightly sweet drink, one that I would be sipping on during a sunny, warm summer day--but under a big umbrella because of my fair complexion. If you're thinking, "This bloke's trying to tell me he likes the bloody drink!" you're absolutely wrong. I don't like this drink--I love the blinkin' thing!

The Polka Dot Negroni is a great summer drink, even during these last few days of summer. I think most casual drinkers will enjoy this concoction. Hell, I'll probably be drinking this wonderful drink on the first day of winter. The gin, the bianco Vermouth, and Salers go together like a hand in a glove. The lemon twist is a good garnish; I even dropped the peel into the drink for added color. However I didn't care for the Luxardo Maraschino cherry as a garnish; I spooned mine out as soon as I tasted the residual juice surrounding the cherry--the juice's taste just didn't fit in with the other tastes inherent in the drink.

Take the time to try the Polka Dot Negroni--you'll like it! Dollars to donuts! Enjoy the drink, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I'm surprised there have not been any comments about the "Autumn Negroni," given a 5 rating by four raters. That says something about the drink--namely that those who enjoy a Negroni style cocktail will surly enjoy this drink. The gin, along with the Campari, and the Fernet-Branca control where this drink is going. I, personally, enjoy Negroni-style drinks, and this drink is no exception. I rated it a 4, but with a little arm twisting, I'd jack it up to 4.5. Personally, I love this drink.

Adventuresome drinkers will, I believe, also find this an enjoyable cocktail, as long as they understand the effects of Campari and Fernet-Branca on a cocktail. Put your toes into the water, and give it a try! You have, I believe, more to gain than to lose. Enjoy but drink responsibly!

• Reply to: Nacho Sour   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Bravo!

• Reply to: Champagne Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Best with a rich simple syrup for texture and consistency (1/4 oz or under works well) and a nice dry somewhat neutral Cremant or Cava. Improved by a spritz of something aromatic--we use Chartreuse. The lemon zest is best expressed over the rim and rubbed around the stem and discarded--you don't want fruit banging on your teeth when you're drinking from a flute.

• Reply to: Seventh Heaven   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Prefer the Colonial cocktail, which has the same ingredients, but is heavier on the grapefruit juice and lighter on the maraschino.

• Reply to: The Viering Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Feels like it needs a lemon twist, so I added a lemon twist.

<br />
    I noticed one user found the Cornwall Negroni to be "quite bitter," so I decided to minimize the bitterness as best I could. To do this, I used Beefeater 24 for the gin, and Dolin Rouge for the 2nd vermouth. I also used one dash of Regans' Orange Bitters and one dash of Angostura Orange Bitters. The resultant cocktail was only mildly bitter, but pleasantly so. I rated this revised Cornwall Negroni at 4.0. For those who enjoy Negroni-style drink, I think they will find this one to be a delightful cocktail, and one they will come back to often.

• Reply to: Royal Pearl   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Any history on this cocktail or is it a lime instead of lemon juice version of the Royal Hawaiian?

The pineapple juice in my version is super prominent. I might tweak the proportions next time.

nonetheless tasty!

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made with Botanica, which is awfully junipery.  The Fernet is good at 0.25 oz or just above.

With Patron Citronge as the triple sec, 0.25 oz is too light & 0.5 oz is possibly a little heavy. I'd likely use a 0.25 and up the orange bitters.

This drink is promising enough that I gave it a 4, though I agree it benefits strongly from measuring-to-taste.

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I carefully followed the recipe for "Don't Give Up the Ship," but I have to agree with two users who suggested less Fernet Brana. Both suggested only 1/4 oz instead of 1/2 oz. Using 1/2 oz of Fernet Branca overwhelms the other ingredients. I enjoy Fernet Branca in cocktails, but in this case, I believe more people will enjoy the drink by reducing the Fernet Branca to 1/4 to 1/3 oz. As is, I rated this drink at 3.5.

NOTE: I used Bombay Sapphire gin. Tanqueray gins tend not to be very "Juniper-forward," except for the recently released "Bloomsbury." It is definitely a Juniper-forward gin, that, in my opinion, gin-lovers in general will enjoy,

• Reply to: The GTO   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

The original drink was a "double shot which was comprised of the three spirits, and chilled" - so I'd imagine this is meant to mimic that. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The GTO   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Not bad, but why so small? I certainly wouldn't call it a 'shot', but it only fills half a coupe.

• Reply to: Confusion   by   3 months 2 hours ago

Far, far too sweet for my tastes. Managed to kind of save it with a few dashes of angostura, 10 mL of Laphroaig, and 15 mL of Suze.

• Reply to: Last Word   by   3 months 9 hours ago

I enjoy this drink quite a lot - I keep finding myself gravitating back to it when I have strayed for a while.

• Reply to: Darkside   by   3 months 10 hours ago

I like this one, but the barolo chinato is a bit hard to find in my area (thank you interwebs). I have only used the star anise/lime garnish combo.