• The Dooce Cocktail   6 weeks 6 days ago

Agree on less Chartreuse. 0.75 worked nicely. Preferred with a spicier style Anejo ( I used Herradura). (4 Stars)

• Branca Menta Alexander (Homage a Plinio)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Excellent use of Branca Menta.

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Good catch y'all!

I rewrote the drink to Berry's standard, and cited him. I also created the Trader Vic version from the Bartender's Guide.

Zachary

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   7 weeks 4 days ago

More on the drink's history and varied recipes here: http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2012/02/13/tiki-drink-dr-funk/

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic (1947) contains the following recipe:

Dr. Funk
    2.5 ounces dark Jamaica or Martinique Rum
    1 lime
    .5 oz lemon juice
    .25 oz grenadine
    .25 oz Pernod or Herbsaint
    1/4 tsp sugar

Shake, add lime shells, top with soda, garnish with fruit or geranium leaf.

• Lifes Rich Pageant   7 weeks 5 days ago

Glad you both liked it. Sorel is delicious and versatile and I can't wait to see what people do with it as it becomes widely available. Your girlfriend is awesome for getting a bottle into Texas.

• Pompeii   7 weeks 5 days ago

Unfortunately I'm not much of a madeira aficionado, in fact this is the first and only bottle I've ever tried. This is something called Broadbent Rainwater and picked it up on a whim after a lot of disappointing cocktails with Dubonet Rouge. I'm a big fan of Warre's Otima port which is very smooth, nutty, sweet and woody and this madeira immediately reminded me of Otima though not nearly as smooth and not quite as sweet.

I've been taking liberties with the Old Fashioned lately since stockpiling bitter (yes, those are scrappy's) and seeing a video from Jamie Boudreau making a wild version. Sweet, strong and bitter in relative proportion should pretty much do it. I'm thinking you can get sweet from something that tastes vibrant and complex like madeira, port, and any sweet liquor really, don't spend your sweet budget on simple or rich syrup. Rich syrup does a lot for the mouth feel with less volume. I've made this with a quarter oz of rich syrup and possibly enjoyed it a little more.

Tonight I swapped the Buffalo Trace with Bulliet Rye and added an additional dash of cardamom bitters (that rye is too sweet and needed to be cut) and built it like a traditional old fashioned and I'm finding it very enjoyable as well. The brandy I'm using is Presedente which is Mexican and hints lot of bourbon qualities, I've even put it to the pepsi challenge with bourbon fans who would swear it was bourbon.

More than you were asking, I know, but thanks for your interest. Have fun and let me know if you get a chance to try one!

• Añejo Highball   7 weeks 5 days ago

A great cocktail for summer

• Lifes Rich Pageant   7 weeks 6 days ago

So, because my girlfriend is the best Valentine ever, I am now in possession of what must be one of the first bottles of Sorel in the Dallas area. Holy sha-moley, that is some tasty juice!... Anyway, this was the first drink we tried, and we both loved it! Had to make a few minor last-minute adjustments, though: I was low on ice, so I served it up; and I realized too late that my last 2 lemons were dry and sad, so I subbed grapefruit peel (which worked quite nicely).

• Ellen's Fancy   7 weeks 6 days ago

This was delish!

• Earl Grey MarTEAni   8 weeks 9 hours ago

I weighed 4 T at 17 g, using Earl Grey from Camellia's Tea Shop in London.

Curious that Saunders's original instructions don't involve dry shaking the egg white, but that's probably a good idea.

• Tango 'til They're Sore   8 weeks 21 hours ago

Glad you liked it.

• Tango 'til They're Sore   8 weeks 21 hours ago

Well this was just fantastic. I made i with bourbon instead of rye, because that's what my guest prefers, but I can see how the spice of the rye would elevate it further.

• Vesper   8 weeks 1 day ago

A very nice cocktail, sophisticated-tasting...and a great way to get soused quickly!

• Pompeii   8 weeks 2 days ago

Kyle,

What style of Madeira do you prefer here? I'd guess the bitters are Scrappy's?

Zachary

• Ginger spice   8 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed flavored vodka, Smirnoff to vodka, Smirnoff - generally, if you're doing the flavoring, it's better to put that in the notes field. Removed fresh squeezed from lemon juice - we assume you're using fresh stuff.

Oh, and as the proud owner of Scrappy's Cardamom, it's weapons grade stuff. 6 drops is going to blow out your drink.

Zachary

• And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out   8 weeks 3 days ago

Rafa,

Probably not - you need the elderflower underpinning of the Dolin. It certainly is interesting, though. My wife seemed to think it tasted like grape Fun-Dip. To me, it's almost like drinking a really good Muscadet - where it's almost neutral, but shimmers around the edges with flavor - only the flavors here are like that Japanese gummy Muscat candy.

Zach

• And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out   8 weeks 3 days ago

Thank you for naming a drink for a Yo La Tengo reference other than Autumn Sweater, which bartenders seem to love. This looks interesting—I wonder whether it'll work with Noilly Prat.

• Ides of March   8 weeks 4 days ago

When the recipe was submitted, the program would not accept blood orange syrup as an ingredient. It has now been corrected.

• Ides of March   8 weeks 4 days ago

Is the recipe correct?? shouldn't it be 3/4 ox blood orange syrup....rather than Juice?

• Summer Hemingway   8 weeks 5 days ago

Excellent. Surprisingly balanced. I used white grapefruit.

• Building a Better Bar   8 weeks 6 days ago

I use a lightly modified wine rack with good shelving. Surprisingly, it's spacious enough to hold most of my booze if I get creative about it, though I still keep a spare bottle or two (usually Scotch) on our adjacent desk to distract my girlfriend when she's supposed to be reading medical books. The rig's a bit overburdened-looking though and I still have nightmares about the whole thing collapsing.

• Building a Better Bar   8 weeks 6 days ago

You know, I'd love to see what solution people have come up with for their bars. Dan, could we set up a page for people to link their pictures if enough people want to do it?

I just wanted this thing built right the first time. The bad thing is it's already almost too full ;)

Zachary

• Building a Better Bar   8 weeks 6 days ago

that's a gorgeous piece. i've repurposed two ethan allen hutches stacked atop chests of drawers for mine. i love it, but i fell victim to only planning for what i had, not what i'd end up having--thanks for the well thought out ideas and suggestions

• The Search for Delicious   9 weeks 22 hours ago