• Reply to: White Tai ("Improved")   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I fixed "amond syrup milk" and "hand foods". I don't see almond extract in this recipe anymore, so I'm guessing it was fixed or re-formulated to not have it. If you enter new ingredients that Kindred Cocktails insists on "auto-correcting", it's part of its efforts to standardize what people enter. Just contact me and I'll enter the ingredients into the database manually. Cheers -Dan

• Reply to: White Tai ("Improved")   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Kindred autocorrects almond extract as well as almond milk (or "almond syrup milk" in KC lingo). It also 'corrects' Small Hand Foods to Hand Foods.

• Reply to: White Tai ("Improved")   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated to change "almond syrup extract" to "almond extract", which I think is what was meant, since only 1 drop is used.

• Reply to: Little Giuseppe   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated to combine with nearly identical Bitter Giuseppe, which omits the salt and has 6 dashes of Regans' Orange Bitters.

• Reply to: Martinez   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Dan, sounds like a pretty different drink, something between a Red Hook and a Gonzalez.

• Reply to: Martinez   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Pretty great as a perfect cocktail with Ransom Old Tom and 50/50 Punt e Mes and dry vermouth.

• Reply to: The Arbitrary Nature of Time   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Very nice. The ingredients seems like naturals on paper, and are in the glass. A touch sweet. 1/2 oz dry vermouth balances nicely.

• Reply to: P'al Don   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated instructions for brevity as per our style guidelines.

• Reply to: The Summit   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated for capitalization and lack of instructions. I assume a tart grapefruit juice should be used to avoid excess sweetness. I also assumed that this should be shaken; please correct if I'm in error.

• Reply to: San Gennaro Amaro Manhattan   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated to add attribution, edit history to avoid copyright issues, and rewrite instructions to KC style guidelines. While this cocktail is not that different from other amaro-based Manhattan variations, it seems to be widely enough known to warrant inclusion in Kindred Cocktails. Thanks for the submission.

• Reply to: The Departed   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Love it. Used Santa Teresa for the rum and Ramazzotti for amaro. Just what I had on hand. And that's saying something because I'm not a huge Campari fan. For my girlfriend I call this drink "Love to hate or hate to love?" because she loves Campari and amari in general but despises mezcal more than any other alcohol.

• Reply to: The Citadel   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Rafa is right. You can no longer sweeten dry styles of Sherry (Fino, Manzanilla, Amontillado, Palo Cortado, Oloroso) and still call them by that name. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Citadel   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

@Dan any sherry that sells itself as an amontillado should, in theory, be completely dry, though there are definitely some on the market that taste like they have added sugar (which makes them actually cream sherries, I guess). I assume the honey syrup in this recipe is 1:1.

• Reply to: The Citadel   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Wow. I didn't know about Brass Union, despite being (long) walking distance from me. I'll definitely try it. For this recipe, I suspect that a very dry Amontillado is called for, lest it be too sweet.

• Reply to: Hazy Asset   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated slightly to conform to style guidelines. Please capitalize and include garnish in ingredient list. Also, I suggest you remove any brands that aren't essential. For example, I can see that Cherry Heering is important, but wouldn't another cognac, single malt, or sweet vermouth work fine? Thanks for posting?

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

The search function is broken, does not work properly when searching for cocktails with multiple ingredients; finds all cocktails with either ingredient instead of both. Eg: searching for cocktails with gin and vermouth finds cocktails with gin and not vermouth and vice versa.

Edit: works perfectly again, thanks.

ADMIN NOTE: Thanks. Fixed now.

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Interesting, that seems like a useful alteration. Now my "book" can be cocktails I like, rather than all cocktails I've rated plus all I want to try, which is how I now use it. Any chance someday there will be the ability to specify a range of ratings in the search (e.g. "2" finds cocktails that are exactly 2 stars, "3-4" finds those higher than 2 but lower than 5, etc.)? In the meantime I think "(or higher)" needs to be re-added to Your Rating on the search form.

ADMIN NOTE: Let's see if others want to search for ranges of stars. My feeling is that the overwhelming use case is "this rating or better". I can see that you might search for, say, 2-3 rated cocktails to improve or remove them though. On the other topic, I've deleted "stars" from curator and your rating, so that the "stars (or more)" applies to both of two ratings next to each other. This saves a bit of space that I don't really have otherwise.

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

If I search my cocktail book with "Suggested" ticked, I get no results, even though I do have cocktails so marked. (If I untick the box I get results, including cocktails that, on their individual pages, correctly indicate that they are Suggested.)

ADMIN NOTE: Add fixed now. Thanks for reporting this. Note that you can now suggest and/or rate cocktails without having to add them to your cocktail book.

• Reply to: Sunny Disposition   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Just mixed it with dry apricot brandy, tasted it and thought it couldn't be right, so added 1/2 oz Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot, which was a big improvement. From my perspective.

• Reply to: A Thousand Blue Eyes   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Fixed. Thanks!

• Reply to: A Thousand Blue Eyes   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

"Detrich." :)

• Reply to: Sforzando   by   2 months 3 hours ago

Kinda similar to Racketeer. Very nice, complex, dry, slow-drinking cocktail. Mezcal dominates the Bulleit rye that I used.

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   2 months 4 hours ago

A problem with name changes for cocktails. If I change the name of a cocktail from, say, "Cascabel" to "Diamondback riff (pear)" and create a new, unrelated cocktail named "Cascabel," the link for the new drink will direct to the old drink with the new name, e.g., clicking on the new "Cascabel" will take me to the drink now listed as "Diamondback riff (pear)."

ADMIN NOTE: The is intentional. As soon as you save a cocktail with a given name, the internet will start saving links to it, both via bookmarks in browser and through the various search engines crawling and indexing Kindred Cocktails. These links should, presumably, refer to the original cocktail. It isn't a great idea to re-use names. I can, however, adjust the "redirects" on a case-by-case basis. Just contact me via the contact page or request curation on the cocktail in question. I took care of Casabel, although it isn't published yet.

• Reply to: Merry Christmas   by   2 months 4 hours ago

Brands listed in cocktail recipes no longer link to the brands' ingredient pages. E.g., "elderflower liqueur" still links to its corresponding page, but "St. Germain" doesn't. By design?

ADMIN NOTE: Actually St. Germain doesn't happen to have an ingredient page (because it hasn't been written yet). But you were correct in general that brand links weren't working. This has been fixed. Additionally, we now link from a specific bottle (e.g. Lairds 7.5) to the brand's page (e.g. Lairds).

Non-admin note: Thanks!

ADMIN NOTE: Hmm. St. Germain does have a page. It's working now.

• Reply to: Artillery   by   2 months 7 hours ago

Curated slightly to add historic recipe, fix typo, and shorten instructions to Kindred Cocktails style guidelines.