• Vesper   9 weeks 6 days ago

Our preferred variation is:
    21⁄4 oz Gin
    3⁄4 oz Vodka
    1⁄2 oz Kina L'Avion D'Or OR Cocchi Americano
    1 twst Lemon zest (as garnish)

The current Lillet doesn't have the amount of quinine that it used to in the 1960s. These two substitutes, we think, make a better drink. One of these, you want to go climb a tree; two, you couldn't climb a tree if you had to.

• Mojito   9 weeks 6 days ago

I use the same rum:lime juice:simple syrup ratio as a daiquiri (2oz:1oz:1/2oz) and (lightly) muddle about eight mint leaves. I use 1 to 1.5 ounces of club soda -- don't want to water it down too much.

• Henry "Box" Brown   10 weeks 19 min ago

Possibly my favorite cocktail. A well-aged rum is essential; others work, Appleton Estate 12, there's an El Dorado 12 I've found that works well too. Last time I was at Hop Sing I think they were using a Gosling Family reserve.

Finding nice grapes and juicing them is the only real reason I don't make this all the time.

• Margarita   10 weeks 1 hour ago

My preferred recipe
    2.0 oz Silver/blanco tequila (OR 1.5 oz tequila and 0.5 oz mezcal for a smokey variant)
    1.0 oz Citrus juice, freshly squeezed (1 ounce lime juice OR half ounce each of lime juice and lemon juice)
    0.75 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau, Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao, or Creole Shrub)
    0.25 oz Agave syrup (If omitting the agave syrup, bump up the triple sec to a full ounce)
    Half salted rim

• North by Northwest   10 weeks 1 hour ago

Apple butter is apple sauce that is caramelized by long, slow cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter

• Black Scottish Cyclops   10 weeks 1 hour ago

In addition to a straight-up peaty Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, or Ardbeg), I have found that Talisker 10 year works very well in this cocktail. Other, less powerful, whiskys would just be overpowered (in part because 4 dashes of Fee Whiskey Barrel bitters is very intense).

• Widow's Kiss   10 weeks 1 hour ago

It is a much better drink with Calvados, in my opinion. We always use Calvados -- with the same 2:1:1 ratios as the original recipe.

• Martini   10 weeks 1 hour ago

The 3-1 ratio of gin to dry vermouth along with orange bitters and a lemon peel is the recipe I use. I've seen this particular variant called the "Nick and Nora". Moving on to "which gins" and "which vermouths" could fill pages.

• North by Northwest   10 weeks 9 hours ago

Apple butter?

• Little Italy   10 weeks 3 days ago

Made using homemade figs in syrup. Definitely not cherry, but worked nicely

• Bella Luna   10 weeks 3 days ago

Candylike.

• Martineuse   10 weeks 4 days ago

This is essentially a Bijou, sans orange bitters. Try knocking back the Chartreuse to 1/4 oz if you feel it overpowers the drink. Maybe a london dry style gin will work wonders as well.

• Ford Cocktail   10 weeks 5 days ago

Nice. Not spectacular. This would be a good drink to introduce an assertive Old Tom (Ransoms, f'rinstance) to someone who "doesn't like gin". For me, who emphatically does like gin, it seems to play against the strengths of the spirit.

• Martineuse   10 weeks 5 days ago

Tastes like Chartreuse. But I did use Ransom's, which is halfway there to begin with. Thinking a lemon peel garnish would really add soemthing. Also, that a better vermouth (just killed my Carpano Antiqua on a Martinez this afternoon) and a less assertive gin, say Hayman's or Tanq OT might make a difference.

• Noce Americana   10 weeks 5 days ago

Tried this with Rittenhouse and ¼ ounce Russo Nocino replacing the bitters. Delicious and helped ease the difficult transition into autumn...

• Shaddock   10 weeks 5 days ago

This is a great cocktail!! Reminds me of an Aviation a bit. The ingredients blend wonderfully together, without one overpowering the others. With Genevier, I find it hard to make the ingredient blend into a cocktail, but this does very well!

• Growing Old Cocktail   10 weeks 5 days ago

Smoked salt adds an interesting dimension to this.

• Davy Jones' Locker   11 weeks 21 hours ago

Cinnamon syrup really didn't do much for me. Preferred with simple syrup and Demerara rum.

• Souracher   11 weeks 3 days ago

Answering my own question, The Raven & Rose bar (Dave Shenaut's home base) tweets "It's sour (just like the flavor) aCKer (rhymes with cracker)."

• All Signs Point To Yes   11 weeks 4 days ago

Tried this drink at home, and then tried it again and added a egg white and some lime, it added some softness to it. Good idea!

• Eastern Sour   11 weeks 6 days ago

Indeed, that's what the recipe (as it appears in Grog Log and Total Tiki) calls for: spent orange and lemon shells.

• Eastern Sour   11 weeks 6 days ago

Craig E notes that the recipe contains no lime, so perhaps a lemon (or orange?) shell would work, unless it is too big for the glass.

• Scofflaw   12 weeks 12 hours ago

A wonderful, overlooked drink. When made with an LDI rye (especially Dickel, but also Bulleit) it has unexpected savory dill flavors that complement the sweet and sour beautifully. We do

1 1/2 oz Dickel rye
    1/2 oz Dolin dry
    1/2 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz homemade grenadine
    1 ds Regan's orange.

• Three Dots and a Dash   12 weeks 16 hours ago

Paul McGee must be a fan of this drink since he named his Chicago tiki bar after it. He altered the recipe by changing the OJ to curacao and shifting some proportions.

• Earthen Infusion   12 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this. Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Added date and source citation.