• Helen of Troy Does Countertop Dancing   10 weeks 1 day ago

Very good, though a bit sweet so I served it over ice, topped with a little club soda, and added a big sprig of mint and it was perfect for a summer afternoon . This is where the rest of my applejack will be used.

• Frosun   10 weeks 2 days ago

Very fun and a conversation-starter for guests. Unsurprisingly delicious with gin. I made a version with mezcal and called it an Axolotl, after a Mexican salamander that exhibits neoteny (the property of only maturing if certain conditions are met, say if an ice cube warms enough to dilute a drink with Aperol).

• Easy Street Fizz   11 weeks 9 hours ago

After posting, I realized this looks like Schmidt's takeoff from his own Easy Street (with the addition of egg white being the main difference).

• Gascon Smash   11 weeks 2 days ago

Awesome summer drink, thanks for posting. My armagnac is marie duffau, and I used a mirabelle plum brandy. Next time I'll try my clear creek slivovitz- it's heavier and funkier and I think it would work well too. Worth the hassle of having to unclog plum pulp from the strainer a couple times.

• Spiced Rum Old Fashioned   11 weeks 6 days ago

Great combo of flavors, but using Angostura, recommend 2 dashes. (Pucker). This should help me get through this 1.75 liters of Sailor Jerry I was gifted.

• The Onset   12 weeks 2 days ago

This was great. Close enough to a negroni to be delicious, but different enough to be a surprise.

• Nui Nui   12 weeks 5 days ago

Fixed, thanks for the catch.

Zachary

• Nui Nui   12 weeks 5 days ago

This is a Don the Beachcomber original from ca. 1937, not a Jeff Berry drink as listed here. We do have Berry to thank for decoding the recipe, however.

• Infante   12 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks for the update! Also for the great link.

• Infante   12 weeks 6 days ago

Great drink! According to this reference, it should also have 3 drops of orange flower water: http://www.kingcocktail.com/sample-new.pdf

• Turf Cocktail   13 weeks 18 hours ago

In a few days, I'm going to consolidate the other Turf Cocktail into this one - effectively making this the canon version of the drink. Let me know if you want to save the other one - this is correct as per the Harry Johnson and Savoy books.

Zachary

• Maximilian Affair   13 weeks 2 days ago

Didn't have punt e mes, so substituted Cocchi Americano on a whim, delicious, a bit sweet, tart, and smoky, can't wait to make this again.

• Luxardo Sour   13 weeks 5 days ago

Best use for amaretto I've found, and I have a huge bottle (luxardo). I would much prefer a Trinidad sour however. The angostura makes the drink and does a reasonable job of tempering the amaretto, but it's still quite sweet/almond extract tasting. In the future I'd just not buy amaretto...

• Jekyll Island Iced Tea   13 weeks 6 days ago

Monin blackberry syrup, or Creme de Mure or Creme de Cassis work instead of the shrub.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   13 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you!

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   14 weeks 6 hours ago

ED8 is probably closest.

• The Adams   14 weeks 11 hours ago

Ok, thanks. I changed this entry to "altered", per your suggestion. I thought it was a pretty decent drink even with non-infused bourbon.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   14 weeks 11 hours ago

I decided to try this since I've been staring at my bottle of sloe gin (bitter truth) for 3 years and I'd like to make space for something else. And, I love my Lemon Hart 80 (which sadly is now unavailable) and wanted to see if my unopened 151 hit the same delicious flavor notes. I knew this was going to be boozy, but on top of that it's quite sour with nothing to round it out. Maybe this was developed with sweeter sloe gins. I added maybe 1/2 oz each orgeat and sweet vermouth and a big mint sprig, which helped a lot, but I'm still in the market for an awesome sloe gin recipe. And open to suggestions on which El Dorado is closest to my Lemon Hart 80.

• The Adams   14 weeks 12 hours ago

"whole Black Mission figs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and our blend of herbs and spices"

I had a taste probably six years ago and it didn't do much for me, though I don't recall the flavor. It's from MA, and I don't know how widely available it is.

• The Adams   14 weeks 16 hours ago

Interesting. - I had no idea. What is it infused with? I've never seen it in the stores here in TN.

• Attention   14 weeks 16 hours ago

Incidentally, A Mouth of Grandma is my hardcore band's name.

• The Adams   14 weeks 16 hours ago

Just an FYI here, Diabolique is an infused bourbon, so it's not replaceable. That said, if the drink works with regular bourbon, it works - though I would call this an altered recipe.

• Torino Julep   14 weeks 1 day ago

I would start with a teaspoon for mouthfeel and balance and add more to taste, though I agree that 1/2 oz is overkill.

• Torino Julep   14 weeks 2 days ago

FrogPrincess on eGullet reports that even 1/4oz of syrup is plenty and perhaps none even better.

• Big Easy Sour   14 weeks 5 days ago

When trying a new drink that calls for a full ounce of Peychaud's, I fully approve of you using someone else's. ;)

But lordy, yes... The color! If I hadn't lost interest in True Blood years ago, I might've called it the Bon Temps Sour.