• Eclipse   11 weeks 4 days ago

I don't have any Anejo. Is it worth trying with a Reposado or will it be too different?

• California Widow   11 weeks 4 days ago

Nothing unsophisticated at all about that! I made this to showcase the interplay of pear/Benny/green Chartreuse/elderflower, with the effect that it does tend to be on the sweet side. Your solution's a good one, and I made a similar choice with a sour: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/au-pair

There are other ways to balance the sugar here that are probably worth trying: verjus, citric acid, more bitters, increasing the gin, etc. Or it could be made at half size and drunk quickly.

• California Widow   11 weeks 4 days ago

• Eclipse   11 weeks 4 days ago

Fantastic drink. On a typographical note, the creator's name is spelled "Robitschek" I believe

• California Widow   11 weeks 5 days ago

I was excited to try this, as I like St Germain with both pear and herbal liqueurs. Very good, though I admit my unsophisticated palette wanted some acidity to balance the liqueurs so I ended up adding 1/2 oz lemon juice.

• Colonel Carpano   11 weeks 5 days ago

Works pretty well with other variations of amaro and bitters. I like Ramazotti instead of Cynar here, for example.

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   11 weeks 5 days ago

Booker's or Old Grand Dad 114 should do. By all means make a 2:1 China:whiskey drink and report back :-)

• Reverse Brooklyn (Erik Ellestad)   11 weeks 5 days ago

Awww. I was kinda thinking the China would be the reversed "spirit". Still, I'm oall over this, although Stagg is a bit dear. Maybe Booker's?

• Bella Donna   12 weeks 20 hours ago

Made per Dan's suggestion with no simple. Could add still more sour. As is the amaretto dominates and lime settles in at the end with just a touch of real sourness. Not a bad use for an ancient bottle of amaretto.

• Shaddock   12 weeks 1 day ago

Good stuff. Same sort of flavor judo as the Jasmine cocktail, but much easier to remember, and a bit more mild and approachable. Sort of the difference between fresh, ruby red grapefruit and older white grapefruit.

Varied this by using Hayman's gin and Lime Juice.

• Pompadour   12 weeks 1 day ago

Bonal has a Pineau-like base of lightly fermented grape must fortified with brandy, and some flavor notes in common with Pineau, but it's much more assertive, so my riff tastes quite different. I'm open to suggestions for a name.

• Pompadour   12 weeks 1 day ago

That sounds delicious, but as much as I love Bonal, the Pineau is what makes this drink special, so it's really something else entirely and deserving of its own name .

• Norma Jean   12 weeks 1 day ago

I used 3/4 oz cynar as that finished the bottle, and I was also generous with the mint. A little less simple and citrus next time, and I'll keep the extra cynar. I'm revisiting recipes I saved years ago and deleting anything I don't love from my cocktail library; this one stays.

• Pompadour   12 weeks 2 days ago

Drunklab recommended a very nice riff:

1 1/2 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina
    3/4 oz Jamaican rum (Smith & Cross)
    3/4 oz Rhum agricole
    1/4 oz Lemon juice
    1 d Bittermens Xocalatl Mole bitters
    1 twist lemon

Very, very nice.

eGullet reference

• The Doe's Path   12 weeks 5 days ago

Outstanding. Used WT101 rye and Dolin dry.

• French Maid   12 weeks 5 days ago

Made with a cheap brandy and homemade falernum and it was fantastic. I was trepidatious about shaking the carbonated ginger beer so I added it after the shake. (Does that go without saying, along with the double strain?) 5/5

• Islay be seeing you   12 weeks 6 days ago

Asian markets, a lot of the times near the soy sauce.

Zachary

• Border Trilogy   12 weeks 6 days ago

I added this cocktail to my book just for this comment...And Cormac McCarthy is a great author...but mainly...the comment...

• Islay be seeing you   12 weeks 6 days ago

Where might one find Yuzu juice?

• Tribe of the Horned Heart   13 weeks 3 hours ago

I never saw much need for vanilla syrup (with so many other ingredients, including most brown spirits, having strong vanilla flavors already) but after working with it in my bar I have to admit it has its uses, particularly when paired with white spirits that don't usually get the barrel treatment (kirsch here, but also genever).

This drink was inspired by a sour from Momofuku Ssam Bar that mixes Smith & Cross with a touch of Laphroaig and a house-made vanilla-clove syrup.

• Kinsey Report   13 weeks 3 hours ago

As FrogPrincesse points out on eGullet, my suggestion makes a drink very much like Allan Katz' Negroni riff the Rope Burn, which I've since added to the database: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/rope-burn

Made with Campari, I too found it syrupy, but no more so than a Negroni, and balanced by the crazy aromas and flavors. Adding another part of dry vermouth sounds like a great idea, however, as I've found that doing that can often elongate and settle all-booze drinks that otherwise have too much going on.

Unrelatedly, I believe Stew's right about SLK's preferred name for this drink being Patois.

• Green Hornet   13 weeks 2 days ago

Added some El Guapo chicory/pecan bitters. Turned out really nice.

• For whom the sun rises   13 weeks 3 days ago

I decided to try this since my bottle of Sibilla hasn't been touched in over a year (it's intense!) and I really like grapefruit juice with other amari such as Cynar. I did make the following substitutions: Luxardo Maraschino as that is what I have, honey syrup instead of simple since it was made, and a pinch of kosher salt instead of making a solution. My grapefruit was pink, but I'd like to try white when I can find one.

Thoughts: for me, better on the rocks- the extra dilution and chilling softened the bitter and sweet notes. The maraschino was just a bit too dominant. I haven't had Maraska's brand in a couple years but I remember it being mellower. I'm tempted to play with adding a touch of something like Maurin Quina or Gran Classico next time, and maybe a little more lime, but overall this is good.

• Kinsey Report   13 weeks 3 days ago

Tried this with Campari and found it needed an additional equal part of dry vermouth to tame the syrupy sweetness.

• Tribe of the Horned Heart   13 weeks 4 days ago

The vanilla syrup terrifies me. I need to face my fears.