• Reply to: B Squared   by   3 months 1 week ago

Hmm...This is intriguing .  Will be trying tonight!

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   3 months 1 week ago

Thanks for the feedback, Dan! I'm inclined to agree with you...this does need some tweaking. We just came up with it last week.

• Reply to: B Squared   by   3 months 1 week ago

For the amaro, I generally use CioCiaro. and Averna if I don't have that. :)

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   3 months 1 week ago

Phil Ward is a genius at making drinks, but so terrible when it comes to naming them. I do have to salute him for his love of cheesy dad puns, as here.

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   3 months 1 week ago

This was the first drink I ever had at Death and Co in 2008. I ordered a "cheenartown" and the waitress said "I think it's sighnartown." But we were all kids back then!

• Reply to: Bona Drag   by   3 months 1 week ago

This is an excellent drink.  The herbal bitterness of the Bonal complements the richness and floral notes of the rums, and the dash of lemon juice lifts it.  Very nice, thanks to the creator.

• Reply to: 131   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this: Added both club soda and tonic, which were in the instructions but not in the recipe. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Autumn Ash   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this: added bitters, clarified garnish, added creator. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Good with two dashes of simple syrup (according to David Embury's advice). Refreshing, effervescent and tart.

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Removed grenadine from the drink - it's literally gin, lime juice and club soda. Tart!  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: An Icy Wasatch Rohde   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Very enjoyable sitting outside this evening. Would be curious about the background of the name.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Reverting to small-batch cognac instead of rye, per old recipe(s), transforms this Classic Cocktail by tipping the familiar balance & allowing more herbal notes to emerge. A revelation.

• Reply to: Cin-Cyn   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Lovely- twice the gin, a bit more Cynar &, as noted, Punt e Mes, balances the sweetness- playing w/ Plymouth

• Reply to: The Caribbean   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Surprisingly good, a layered and delicious punch in the best tiki tradition. I used Appleton VX (a darker Jamaican would have been more traditional) and Don Q Añejo, increased the lime to 3/4 oz, and omitted the simple.

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I'd like to like this. Much too sweet as written for my taste. I increased the Bourbon to 2oz and cut the 1/2 amari to 1/4 oz. Probably should cut the Fernet to a dash. The bitters aren't specified, so I used Bokers. I found the result nice, but a bit orange-forward. I think I'd use either Brigallet or Cio Ciaro, but not both. Rye might help with the sugar balance. I think this is a fun drink, but it needs more development, IMO.

• Reply to: Gin-Gin Mule   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this: These 6/6/10 drinks were the first round of things added to KC, and included some classics. I'm going to merge the other versions of the Gin-Gin Mule into this one. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fortune Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this. Estimated the amount of Champagne you're going to need to top a standard glass. Anyone have an idea of what a 'small handful' of mint is? I'd lean toward a sprig of mint versus a handful, otherwise the drink is going to taste like mint and nothing else. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Death & Taxes   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

2014-03-29 - Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

2015-04-11 - continuing the tradition of drinking this whilst doing my taxes, one year later. This time I have proper Death's Door Gin & Jerry Thomas bitters. A wonderful drink to take the pain away.

• Reply to: High Noon   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Looks like a riff on a Siesta by Katie Stipe, replacing lime with triple sec and upping the grapefruit to compensate for the lost citrus from the lime.

• Reply to: Black Diamond   by   4 months 20 hours ago

I've made it with both Rye and Bourbon and I really enjoy it. Nicely done.

• Reply to: Sitting With Stella   by   4 months 2 days ago

I know the "Smash" category is broad, but the general consensus is that there's some sort of fruit and some sort of herbal component, usually mint - that it's a Julep on a small plan (to quote Savoy). I think this is publishable, but can you come up with a different name so it doesn't cause problems with the search?  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Winchester   by   4 months 2 days ago

Curated this. Changed out Beefeater for Martin Miller Westbourne, removed Fee Bros. as the grenadine, all as per the link. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   4 months 3 days ago

Maybe with green Chartreuse it's a Yellowpoint.

I'm a big fan of the original.  My favourite of the Brooklyns, I think.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   4 months 3 days ago

Delicious! Tried substituting green Chartreuse on the recommendation of a guy in a bar, and liked it just as well, maybe better. You don't want a timid rye for this drink, especially when using green Chartreuse.

I wonder how it'd be using a smoky scotch instead of the rye?

• Reply to: Carrie's Book Club   by   4 months 5 days ago

Seems hard to believe this needs the simple syrup.