• Reply to: The Bitter Venetian   by   2 months 3 days ago

Nice use of the Amaro Nonio, plays up the orange notes. Might be nice on the rocks on a hot day.

• Reply to: Ancho and Lefty   by   2 months 3 days ago

I didn't care for it, the vermouth and the mezcal don't play very well together in my opinion; leave an acrid flavor at the end.

• Reply to: JDP   by   2 months 4 days ago

Decrease maraschino to 1/2 oz, up apricot liqueur to 3/4 oz

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   2 months 4 days ago

Thanks very much, it was neat to be added a second time in 2 years.  I recommend trying this with other more "traditional" aquavit as well.  Cheers!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   2 months 5 days ago

I won't lie - it's bitter as hell. On purpose. :)

• Reply to: Miraflores   by   2 months 6 days ago

Good drink but just a tad sweet for me.  Maybe another 1/4 oz more lime juice and .75oz grapefruit juice?

• Reply to: Boulevard des Rêves   by   2 months 6 days ago

Made this tonight with Old Grand Dad 114 because that's the highest-proof bourbon I have. Love it!

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   2 months 1 week ago

I just made this with añejo tequila in place of the gin as a hunch. I might like it even better than the original - good stuff!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   2 months 1 week ago

I reallly like this - pushes all my bitterest buttons. Wife hated it. Can't win 'em all ...

• Reply to: Crux   by   2 months 1 week ago

Delicious cocktail. Great sidecar alternative, particularly if looking for something less cognac forward.

• Reply to: Lucino's Delight   by   2 months 1 week ago

Specified the amaro, tightened up the instructors to our style guidelines, and added the reference. Sounds good. Not too sweet?

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   2 months 1 week ago

Made one the other night for the first time in a while and it was even better than I remembered.  This is a truly outstanding cocktail.

I've been making this with Niessen Agricole Blanc and think its grassy funkiness amps up the herbaceous qualities of the Art of Choke.  I've never had the Depaz so I can't say what may have set off the previous commenter.  I recently got a bottle of the Wray & Nephew and will try that the next time I make one.

Edit: Tonight I tried one made with Wray & Nephew Overproof. Didn't really like it at all. The W&N added nothing but alcohol heat and the balance seemed lost. I felt it was necessary to be positive so in the interest of the greater good I made a second with the Niessen and it was much better!

• Reply to: B Squared   by   2 months 1 week ago

Hmm...This is intriguing .  Will be trying tonight!

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   2 months 1 week ago

Thanks for the feedback, Dan! I'm inclined to agree with you...this does need some tweaking. We just came up with it last week.

• Reply to: B Squared   by   2 months 1 week ago

For the amaro, I generally use CioCiaro. and Averna if I don't have that. :)

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   2 months 1 week ago

Phil Ward is a genius at making drinks, but so terrible when it comes to naming them. I do have to salute him for his love of cheesy dad puns, as here.

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   2 months 1 week ago

This was the first drink I ever had at Death and Co in 2008. I ordered a "cheenartown" and the waitress said "I think it's sighnartown." But we were all kids back then!

• Reply to: Bona Drag   by   2 months 1 week ago

This is an excellent drink.  The herbal bitterness of the Bonal complements the richness and floral notes of the rums, and the dash of lemon juice lifts it.  Very nice, thanks to the creator.

• Reply to: 131   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated this: Added both club soda and tonic, which were in the instructions but not in the recipe. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Autumn Ash   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this: added bitters, clarified garnish, added creator. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Good with two dashes of simple syrup (according to David Embury's advice). Refreshing, effervescent and tart.

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Removed grenadine from the drink - it's literally gin, lime juice and club soda. Tart!  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: An Icy Wasatch Rohde   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Very enjoyable sitting outside this evening. Would be curious about the background of the name.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Reverting to small-batch cognac instead of rye, per old recipe(s), transforms this Classic Cocktail by tipping the familiar balance & allowing more herbal notes to emerge. A revelation.

• Reply to: Cin-Cyn   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Lovely- twice the gin, a bit more Cynar &, as noted, Punt e Mes, balances the sweetness- playing w/ Plymouth