• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 1 day ago

I'm sure Ms. King will be pleased. She inquired on twitter. This recipe tipped me over the edge to buy another bottle of yellow. I have Sterga and Galliano, but I wanted to try it as written.Green might walk over the more subtle aspects of the Sibilia, but I'm game to try it. Really great cocktail. This might be best on the rocks, though. It's a thoughtful drink, and as you linger, the additional dilution will let it evolve a bit. I don't think there's much risk of becoming watery.

• Reply to: Dubois Margarita   by   1 month 1 day ago

Really nice. Had a delicious peppery flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   1 month 1 day ago

I tried a variation based on Dan's suggestion: 1 oz Campari to a half ounce each Creole Shrubb and unsweetened cranberry juice, pinch of salt. Nicely tart and bitter, but I missed the lime flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   1 month 2 days ago

I used to do a drink with unsweetened cranberry juice, lime peel-heavy falernum, and white rum. Unsweetened cranberry juice isn't as acidic as citrus (or the bottled stuff isn't anyway) but it's still a fun and underexplored mixer. Good call.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   1 month 2 days ago

This is crying out for a variation with unsweetened cranberry juice and no lime. :)

• Reply to: Puerto Rican Rum   by   1 month 2 days ago

Just a quick note—Captain Morgan is no longer produced in Puerto Rico. It is now made in the US Virgin Islands.

While it's true that rums made in Puerto Rico are lighter in body and character than rums from, say, Jamaica, it's misleading to say they're scarcely differentiated from vodka. Bottlings like Palo Viejo and Caliche, containing a high proportion of heavy rums in their blends, have a full, molasses-y flavor that compares favorably, in my view, to Havana Club Añejo 3 year. The Barrilito expressions are robust and rummy. Even Don Q Cristal, the most popular rum among Puerto Ricans, has vanilla and spice notes from barrel aging, and makes a flavorful Daiquiri.

All Puerto Rican rums are aged for a legal minimum of one year in oak in bonded warehouses. Most bottlings are a blend of light-bodied and heavy-bodied (long ferment, lower distilling proof) rums. I've tasted the heavy rums on their own and found them surprisingly English/Jamaican in style (albeit less funky than, say, Wray & Nephew White Overproof). Granted, the character of most blends is still light (the heavy rum being equivalent to a touch of Islay in a blended Scotch). Distilleries sometimes bottle their aguardientes (low wines), which are intensely flavored, like eaux de vie of molasses.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 3 days ago

We haven't tried the Sibilla with green yet, but I don't think it would be a wasted effort!  We thought the yellow would pair better with the honey tones, and it does seem to play nicely with that amaro.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 3 days ago

Yes, it is....one of our favorite post-Doyle Holmes stories

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 3 days ago

Any thoughts on making this with green Chartreuse? I haven't splurged for a bottle of yellow yet but I'm always looking for things to do with Sibilla.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 4 days ago

Named for the eponymous book in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R King?

• Reply to: Doff Your Hat   by   1 month 4 days ago

The genever gets a little lost here.

• Reply to: Navy Dock Daiquiri   by   1 month 6 days ago

Smith & Cross is definitely not for everyone.

• Reply to: Amulet   by   1 month 6 days ago

This is a duplicate; ignore :-).

• Reply to: Amulet   by   1 month 6 days ago

Then I have failed.

• Reply to: Navy Dock Daiquiri   by   1 month 6 days ago

Overall, I haven't loved Smith & Cross, but this wasn't bad.

• Reply to: Amulet   by   1 month 6 days ago

Delicious but nothing like an omelet.

• Reply to: Tango 'til They're Sore   by   1 month 1 week ago

Quite nice anise notes to a Redhook variant. I might try 1/2 oz dry vermouth for sugar balance next time.

• Reply to: Toronto   by   1 month 1 week ago

Angostura Orange bitters work too

• Reply to: Ginger Rabbit   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this: rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Thanks, Zach

• Reply to: Lizard King   by   1 month 1 week ago

Fancier, funkier Ancient Mariner. Dan, did you use cinnamon syrup or Becherovka?

• Reply to: Lizard King   by   1 month 1 week ago

That's a lot of pie spice in one cocktail -- too much for me.

• Reply to: Little Easy   by   1 month 1 week ago

Now for dueling pedantic curators! Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Little Easy   by   1 month 1 week ago

Dualing curators. I shortened up the instructions to conform to our style guidelines. Our readers don't need detailed SOP instructions.

• Reply to: Little Easy   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this. Added creator and date, rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Changed the type to "altered" - this is Herbsaint/Regans vs. Absinthe/BT Orange. Thanks,, Zachary

• Reply to: Lancaster County   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this slightly - peach schnapps liqueur is redundant. Changed to peach liqueur. Thanks, Zachary