• Reply to: Speaking in Tongues   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Abano has a fairly unique black pepper flavor. I think you could sub something like Averna or even Cynar, but it will be a different drink.

• Reply to: The Last Mechanical Art   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

This fires on all cylinders for me--a great mix of smokey, sweet, bitter, and spirit-y.  The orange peel garnish adds a great sensation on the nose that combines well with the actual drinking.

• Reply to: Speaking in Tongues   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I am interested to try but don't have (and can't find) Amaro Abano.  Any substitutions recommended? I have other Amaris

<br />
    <p>
    Remarkably similar in taste to "Blood & Sand." I was surprised given Blood & Sand has scotch as its base liquor, while Blood and Famine uses Bushmill's Irish whiskey for its base liquor (I chose Black Bush because of its strong, sturdy body notes). I also used Dolin Rouge for Blood and Sands' sweet vermouth. Black Bush manages to make its presence known over the other ingredients, that are also in Blood & Sand, which explains why both taste somewhat similar. The Blood & Sand is somewhat sweeter, as I used Dewar's scotch (a pleasant, light in body, blended scotch). In short, if you like one, you'll like the other. I rated Blood & Famine at 4.0.</p>

• Reply to: Highlander Cocktail   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Merged with the Monaco Friar, which has 3 dashes of Ango. www.foodandwine.com/recipes/monaco-friar

• Reply to: Midnight Marauder   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Same name is used for a different semi-popular amaro cocktail. Attribution seems to be Pouring Ribbons, 2013:

• 1 oz cynar
    • 1 oz mezcal
    • 1 oz bonal
    • 1 dash mole biters

Stir, strain, no garnish.

• Reply to: Caribbean Coffee Crush   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

The posted link is dead, but Wayback Machine to the rescue.

• 1 C Cane Sugar
    • 1/2 C Brewed Coffee
    • 1/2 C Stout

Combine over medium heat until sugar dissolves.

• Reply to: Grapefruit And Smoke   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

It's meant to be two drinks, but there's a handy resizing tool in the corner... Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Churchgoer   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Lovely! and so much more palatable than the classic dry martini. Didn't have Genever but subbed St Georges Dry Rye gin which has a not entirely dissimilar flavour profile, a little more botanical and a little less yeasty/ bread-like as genever but the combination of all the ingredients strangely highlights the bready tone. Makes a beautiful pale gold drink.

• Reply to: Grapefruit And Smoke   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

8.25 ounces is a big drink...I halved it. Grapefruit and Aperol play real well with the mezcal (I used Vida). A saline solution could be fun to play with in this. I'd double strain next time.

• Reply to: Caribbean Coffee Crush   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

A user asks: Is there a recipe for the coffee-stout syrup, and how long will it last in the refrigerator? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Time Release   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Edited. Thanks.

• Reply to: Time Release   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Source calls for a dry gin, rather than juniper forward. I made this with botanist, which is likely too much juniper. Might make again with something a bit more subtle.

• Reply to: Coffee Warmer   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

So here it is, a dreary, snowy Michigan afternoon--just me and my coffee. So I decided to see what KindredCocktails had for a cup of coffee. And I stumbled upon "Coffee Warmer" with one rating of 4. In the words of Donald Trump during his campaign, "What the hell, you've got nothing to lose." So I decided to try what looked to be a promising recipe.

SOME NOTES before I give you my thoughts on "Coffee Warmer:" (1) I had no brandy, so I used Hennessy Very Special cognac; (2) for the coffee liqueur, I used Tia Maria (one of the best coffee liqueurs on the market, I believe); and (3) I discovered 3 dashes (not 3 drops) are needed for Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters to shine in this libation (actually, four dashes may prove to be better, but that's another story).

THE RESULT: Not bad. Not good, but not bad. I rate it as 3.5. The flavors were well balanced, with one not competing with the other. I was pleasantly surprised by this, because I thought the Allspice Dram might overwhelm the bitters, but by using 3 dashes the bitters came through nicely.

In summary, I thoroughly enjoyed this cup of coffee! The truth be told, had I known I was going to make and rate this libation, I would have used a bolder, richer, more flavorful coffee. Tomorrow morning I'm going to do just that, and I'll give you the outcome. How this drink is rated definitely depends on the quality of the coffe. It should be freshly made, not have a burnt flavor from sitting on the burner for more than 10 minutes, and it should be a bold and flavorful coffee. That lets out Folgers, Maxwell, and many others. Making the coffee using a French Press will also produce a better coffee.

Following the guidelines I laid down, the resulting cup of "Coffee Warmer" should be rated somewhere between 4 and 5. The recipe is that good! For those seeking a nice cup of hot coffee and don't have to drive and/or go to work, I definitely recommend "Coffee Warmer." Personally, I'd have two cups, not one. And You?

P.S. I did not add 0.5 oz ground coffee. If a high-quality bold and flavorful coffee is used and made properly, addtional ground coffee will not be needed. Adding ground coffee will make the already made coffee stronger, but now you've got coffee grounds to filter out. Moreover, extra coffee grounds should not be needed if you use high quality coffee liqueur. Kahlua is often used as a coffee liqueur, but it has less coffee flavor than Tia Maria. Why is that? Read Kahlua's label, and you'll see that Kahlua is a mixture of rum and coffee liqueur. Tia Maria, however, is pure coffee liqueur. Take a taste test, and you'll taste the difference.

• Reply to: Black Negroni   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I really like these black variations of cocktails. The Black Manhattan is a personal favorite. The one change I would make to this recipe is that I'd halve the amount of Averna used, as it's such a potent liquor. The Hanky Panky for example only uses a barspoon of Averna, and it's not overpowered there. I'd say about 2 cl (About 1/2 oz for you Americans) is perfect for this cocktail.

• Reply to: Bijou Bohème   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Sorry I don't agree that there's no substitution with the Ransom, subbed Dolin Blanc and Genepy and yes the resulting drink is softer, and slightly sweeter upfront but still fairly balanced given the overt bittering, especially in the aftertaste; but what do I know, I'm just a drinker not a mixologist.

• Reply to: Shade in Summer   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Loved this one too, lowered ratio of lemon a touch (1 oz is way too much for me) and subbed Plum bitters (didn't come out the bottle as freely as I hoped so upped it to 3 dashes). Lovely melange of floral, fruity and sour, would do well with Hendricks if you're a floral lover (as I am!)

• Reply to: Miss Scarlet   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Love love love this!!! Subbed cardamaro for cynar and lemon for lime (all we had), homemade grenadine (made with a touch of orange and rose water), cherry bitters, definitely putting this one in rotation!

• Reply to: Rob Roy   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

The Rob Roy tends to be made with an un-peated blended scotch. Most cocktails that don't specify are this way. The template for this particular cocktail's pretty forgiving & peat can be tasty here. But people who order this would be extremely unlikely to get it made with a peated scotch unless they asked for it.

• Reply to: Rob Roy   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

<br />It's really unfair to rate this drink. Use the same vermouth, but use an Islay vs a Highland scotch, and I guarantee you'll get two different rating scores. Likewise, you can use the same scotch but use two different high-quality vermouths and I guarantee you'll get two dififerent rating scores. There's no answer to the dilemma, I'm just bringing it to you're attention.

I suppose you can make the same comment about any drink, but the Rob Roy is particularly sensitive to this issue, simply because Islay scotches are so incredibly different in taste from the other Scotches, that it will profoundly affect rating scores. I hate the peated Scotches typical of Islay, and I love the incredibly smooth and refreshing taste of a Scotch from Hightland. What to do? I haven't a clue! Do you?

• Reply to: Thanksgiving for Jack   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Pretty good. I figured what the heck and gave it a couple drops of Aztec chocolate bitters too. Thumbs up.

• Reply to: Ancient Mariner   by   2 months 21 hours ago

Apparently you can't delete (can only edit) a comment from this site?

• Reply to: Dorflinger   by   2 months 1 day ago

What an odd name for a cocktail. It turns out that "Dor" is Gaelic for turd. So there you have it: Turd flinger!

On a more serious note, I considered the ratios of the ingredients, and decided to be cautious about how much Absinthe to use. I chose St George's Terroir Gin, knowing it could stand up to the absinthe. For the absinthe, I picked St George's Absinthe Verte (by the way, St George's products are outstanding).

I poured 2 oz gin, but only 1/4 oz Absinthe. The gin came through, as did the Absinthe (but lightly so). I added 1/8 oz, and perfecto! I then added two dashes of Fee Bros' gin-barrel aged Orange Bitters (a relatively new product). Not enough, so I added two more dashes. Better, but it needed a sharper citrus taste. I used an orange twist; not enough (maybe flame it next time), and then used a lemon twist. Home at last!

The final recipe I suggest for 'Dorflinger' is: 2 oz of gin, 3/8 oz absinthe, 4 dashes orange bitters (might consider lemon bitters), one orange twist, and one lemon twist. I rated the cocktail between 3.0 and 3.5. Worth making and drinking. Some, however, may prefer a lighter hand on the Absinthe, use only 1/4 oz. Personally, I caution against using more than 1/2 oz absinthe; all of the other tastes will be swallowed up.

Needless to say, I will be tinkering with this libation over the next several weeks (e.g., I will try a softer gin, such as Tanqueray Ten). Meanwhile, drink and enjoy, but drink responsibly.

Note: Considering that I totally revamped the "Dorflinger" recipe, from top to bottom, I have named my version of "Dorflinger," as "Dorflinger Revisited.

• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   2 months 3 days ago

I have a slight preference for 1.5:1.5:0.75:0.5:0.5 ratio (possibly even slightly less juice or simple).

Smith+Cross, alone, would overpower. But 1 oz Barbancourt or even Goslings with a 1/2 oz of S+C is tasty.

I prefer this version over the variants that call for passionfruit syrup and/or pineapple rum.

• Reply to: Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned)   by   2 months 4 days ago

If you're looking for a man's drink, the Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned), look no farther. With its robust flavor from the bourbon (Jim Beam black label), and the exquisite taste of a good cognac (Hennessy Very Special Cognac), combined with brown sugar (light brown, but dark brown may be better) to add some sweetness (but not too much), with the zest oils from an orange and a lemon to counterbalance the flavors. NOTE: 1 tsp of sugar equals one sugar cube.

As you might guess, this drink is complex with its many different flavors. I think you'll enjoy both the breadth and depth of flavors you'll encounter in this drink.

The only decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use light or dark brown sugar. For myself, I was satisfied with light brown sugar (which was the only brown sugar I had). The dark brown sugar is likely to be somewhat sweeter and richer. However, be you woman or man, you'll enjoy this "man's drink."