• Reply to: the Minton   by   1 month 1 week ago

A very, very pleasant drink with, as expected, fruity overtones. On this, my first try with "The Minton," I made some small changes. Of course, I don't know if the changes made the drink betterr or worse--or no difference at all. However, the changes resulted in my rating the cocktail at 5. The changes were small: (1) To tone down the anticipated sweetness, I used 1/4 oz Aperol and 1/4 oz Campari. Thus the sweetness of the Aperol was there, but just a tad of bitterness floated to the top due to the Campari. (2) with the three dashes of orange bitters, I used four drops for each dash, not the traditional three drops. Each dash had two drops of Regans' orange bitters and two drops of Angustora orange bitters. I have seen a number of cocktail recipes that combined these two brands into what was called "house bitters." The change in taste is subtle but noticable by combining them.

I would like to get some feedback on changes I made--for better or worse. I would like to hear how others made changes and what the results were. Meanwhile, drink up, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Champagne Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Best with a rich simple syrup for texture and consistency (1/4 oz or under works well) and a nice dry somewhat neutral Cremant or Cava. Improved by a spritz of something aromatic--we use Chartreuse. The lemon zest is best expressed over the rim and rubbed around the stem and discarded--you don't want fruit banging on your teeth when you're drinking from a flute.

• Reply to: Seventh Heaven   by   1 month 1 week ago

Prefer the Colonial cocktail, which has the same ingredients, but is heavier on the grapefruit juice and lighter on the maraschino.

• Reply to: The Viering Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Feels like it needs a lemon twist, so I added a lemon twist.

<br />
    I noticed one user found the Cornwall Negroni to be "quite bitter," so I decided to minimize the bitterness as best I could. To do this, I used Beefeater 24 for the gin, and Dolin Rouge for the 2nd vermouth. I also used one dash of Regans' Orange Bitters and one dash of Angostura Orange Bitters. The resultant cocktail was only mildly bitter, but pleasantly so. I rated this revised Cornwall Negroni at 4.0. For those who enjoy Negroni-style drink, I think they will find this one to be a delightful cocktail, and one they will come back to often.

• Reply to: Royal Pearl   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Any history on this cocktail or is it a lime instead of lemon juice version of the Royal Hawaiian?

The pineapple juice in my version is super prominent. I might tweak the proportions next time.

nonetheless tasty!

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Made with Botanica, which is awfully junipery.  The Fernet is good at 0.25 oz or just above.

With Patron Citronge as the triple sec, 0.25 oz is too light & 0.5 oz is possibly a little heavy. I'd likely use a 0.25 and up the orange bitters.

This drink is promising enough that I gave it a 4, though I agree it benefits strongly from measuring-to-taste.

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I carefully followed the recipe for "Don't Give Up the Ship," but I have to agree with two users who suggested less Fernet Brana. Both suggested only 1/4 oz instead of 1/2 oz. Using 1/2 oz of Fernet Branca overwhelms the other ingredients. I enjoy Fernet Branca in cocktails, but in this case, I believe more people will enjoy the drink by reducing the Fernet Branca to 1/4 to 1/3 oz. As is, I rated this drink at 3.5.

NOTE: I used Bombay Sapphire gin. Tanqueray gins tend not to be very "Juniper-forward," except for the recently released "Bloomsbury." It is definitely a Juniper-forward gin, that, in my opinion, gin-lovers in general will enjoy,

• Reply to: The GTO   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

The original drink was a "double shot which was comprised of the three spirits, and chilled" - so I'd imagine this is meant to mimic that. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The GTO   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Not bad, but why so small? I certainly wouldn't call it a 'shot', but it only fills half a coupe.

• Reply to: Confusion   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Far, far too sweet for my tastes. Managed to kind of save it with a few dashes of angostura, 10 mL of Laphroaig, and 15 mL of Suze.

• Reply to: Last Word   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I enjoy this drink quite a lot - I keep finding myself gravitating back to it when I have strayed for a while.

• Reply to: Darkside   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I like this one, but the barolo chinato is a bit hard to find in my area (thank you interwebs). I have only used the star anise/lime garnish combo.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #2   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I enjoy this cocktail quite a bit. My version is an oz of each element and the dash. I will have to try it with the rinse. This is particularly great after a day working in the yard, because that is when this corpse needs reviving.

• Reply to: Midori Sour   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

This is a minor variation on a version by Chaim Dauermann, the main differences (besides slightly tweaked specs) being lemon juice rather than lime and a housemade lime cordial instead of simple syrup, along with an expressed and discarded orange peel.

• Reply to: Oaxacan in Memphis   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

This gets my vote as best cocktail name ever!

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I tried Montenegro.  I thought the Campari would overpower it, but it surprisingly came through.

• Reply to: Cherry Blossom (St. Germain version)   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Definitely halve the amount of Maraschino; (and I love overly Maraschino'ed cocktails as a rule); but otherwise nice drink..

• Reply to: Bloodhound   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

This particular recipe may have been popularized by a modern Beefeater brand ambassador, but note that the Bloodhound is a classic cocktail appearing in Savoy. Most versions up the base gin to 2 oz and eschew maraschino.

I found this particular version to be blander than the 2 oz gin:1 oz french vermouth: 1 oz italian vermouth classic. It was not insipid, though & adding some sweetness to the classic (which may have used sugar-sweetened coulis anyway) isn't a bad idea.

Some variations use raspberries, which I'd be eager to try.

• Reply to: Ampersand Cocktail   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Ransom, Remy and Carpano Antica -- while these great tastes should taste great together, this drink is missing an acid component that a couple of extra shots of bitters can't help.  I have dry Curaçao but I'm not sure that would do the trickk

• Reply to: White Light   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

There are few cocktails that I rate 4.5 or 5: a Negroni or Manhattan are a few. Well, with this cocktail, I have to add one more. Truth be told, I was torn between rating White Light as 4.5 or 5.0. If I could use my own rating scale, I would rate it "Damn Good."

By the way, the gin I used is definitely topshelf. It is Tanqueray's Bloomsburg, which is labelled as "Limited Edition." If you're a gin drinker and can get this product, get it. You won't go wrong!

• Reply to: A More Perfect Union   by   2 months 6 hours ago

Well, with summer nearly over, a great many of you have missed a great summer drink, one that you can drink several of without getting bombed (because of the preponderanace of Lillet Blanc), and enjoy the nice mixture of fruit flavors (thanks for the apricot liqueur and the grapefruit zest. I waivered between rating it 4.0 or 4.5. I'll leave it to you, who may rate it 5.0. Regardless, imbibe and enjoy, summer or autumn!

• Reply to: Plymouth Express   by   2 months 12 hours ago

I found that a little but of salt improved this cocktail remarkably. I used unsweetened cold brew. It could be that some more dilution from icing freshly made espresso or hot coffee would have resulted in a similar improvement to the balance.

• Reply to: The Moonlight Cocktail   by   2 months 1 day ago

Good, but it needed a little more gin and some orange bitters to really bring it together.

• Reply to: Pisco Patio   by   2 months 1 day ago

Delicious on a hot summer evening! Didn't have grapefruit bitters; orange bitters worked nicely. Thanks for this recipe!