• The Adams   9 weeks 2 days ago

Just an FYI here, Diabolique is an infused bourbon, so it's not replaceable. That said, if the drink works with regular bourbon, it works - though I would call this an altered recipe.

• Torino Julep   9 weeks 3 days ago

I would start with a teaspoon for mouthfeel and balance and add more to taste, though I agree that 1/2 oz is overkill.

• Torino Julep   9 weeks 3 days ago

FrogPrincess on eGullet reports that even 1/4oz of syrup is plenty and perhaps none even better.

• Big Easy Sour   9 weeks 6 days ago

When trying a new drink that calls for a full ounce of Peychaud's, I fully approve of you using someone else's. ;)

But lordy, yes... The color! If I hadn't lost interest in True Blood years ago, I might've called it the Bon Temps Sour.

• Big Easy Sour   10 weeks 21 hours ago

I made it at my bar and the color got lots of stares from my guests.

• Big Easy Sour   10 weeks 23 hours ago

Thanks, glad you like! The cinnamon syrup was the one part I wasn't so sure about at first; I almost kept the Trinidad's orgeat... I sipped mine pretty quickly, so I don't think it had time to warm much (heh, oops). I'll look for that extra lemoniness next time.

• Big Easy Sour   10 weeks 1 day ago

Delicious. Cinnamon was an inspired choice. Interestingly, as it warmed it got quite lemony, despite the large amounts of other strong ingredients. Lovely color too.

• Noce Americana   10 weeks 4 days ago

Would consider an absinthe rinse next time.

• Avioncito   10 weeks 4 days ago

I liked it - used Milagro Reposado and Averna instead of the Zucca - but didn't taste the tequila as much. Maybe the MIlagro isn't as assertive as the Espolon (I'm not a tequila guy, so not sure)?

• Attention   10 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.

• Attention   10 weeks 4 days ago

Recipe says 1940s origin, but this cocktail appeared in a 1916 guide (Recipes for Mixed Drinks by Hugo R. Ensslin), according to classicmixology.com.

• Wray of Light   10 weeks 4 days ago

Than drinking it straight from the bottle, probably. Which I guess is what the Bum did in the days before he invented his Hart of Darkness.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   10 weeks 4 days ago

I updated the instructions to specify that you shake with ice, baby, though unfortunately I think KC frowns on mixin' cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar.

• Wray of Light   10 weeks 4 days ago

safer?

• The Brave   10 weeks 5 days ago

I wonder if they did that because it's hard to get sotol in many places, similar to why the NYT published the Oaxaca Old Fashioned with Ango instead of mole bitters.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   10 weeks 5 days ago

Serve with fingers, or another meal.

• The Brave   10 weeks 5 days ago

Ha. I'll have to try it with the Sotol then. I keep hearing great things about this drink from Texan friends.

• The Brave   10 weeks 5 days ago

Rafa,

Yeah, but Punch is wrong ;) The Sotol makes the drink.

Zachary

• The Brave   10 weeks 5 days ago

PUNCH published a slightly different recipe substituting blanco tequila for the sotol: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-brave/

• Hemingway Stripper Pole   11 weeks 3 hours ago

Looks great. Might try this one out on a guest. I'll have to change the name lest they also get the image of Papa Hemingway riding a pole in their heads.

• Avioncito   11 weeks 3 days ago

Finallt got around to trying this. Really good. I'm not a huge tequila fan but this one is a keeper. I did end up bumping the tequila to 1.5 oz to cut the sweetness from the amari

• Eva Peron   11 weeks 3 days ago

Revisited after a couple years in an effort to finish off my bottle of Canton, and I still think this is an amazing drink. I do prefer it with a bit less lime however, and the last couple of times I made it I added a little orgeat since it plays so well with the Fernet Branca and the ginger. I amend my previous comments about the ginger beer being optional- it's a little syrupy without. However, the drink is on the sweet side and the ginger beer only adds to that. I've heard that King's ginger liqueur has more ginger flavor than the Canton that I finally finished, so I wonder if that with regular soda water would give enough ginger kick without getting too sweet.

• Eclipse   11 weeks 3 days ago

Fixed, thanks, and I love that you proofread cocktail recipes at 8 in the morning. Keep on!

• Eclipse   11 weeks 3 days ago

Haven't tried it with reposado, but imo there are no two more different age statements than reposado and añejo, they are practically different liquors. That said, I don't see why reposado wouldn't work in this drink as long as you had something hefty and peppery rather than smooth and light. It would definitely be a different drink, though.

• California Widow   11 weeks 4 days ago

Tried this tonight given all the recent comments. Delicious blend of diverse flavors. Will be ideal for the fall.