• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Regarding the prior comments:  Choose your rye carefully; Templeton 4 years is light in flavor and sweet. Wild Turkey and Knob Creek, however, have more body. Choose carefully, also, your vermouth. Antica Formula is my favorite vermouth. I used, however, Vermut Negre, a dark but not too sweet vermouth. I then used only two drops of Xocolatl Mole, not three, which was fine. This was the first time I drank this cocktail, but I humbly rank the resultant cocktail at 4.5. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

• Reply to: Kasumiku (香住区)   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I substituted scotch for the Yamazaki (didn't have any Japanese Whiskey) and Cocchi Vermouth di Torino for the Punt e Mes - really nice drink. First one I've made with the Douglas Fir. I thought maybe 3/4 was going to be too much of the Douglas Fir and the Domaine de Canton, but it was just right.

• Reply to: Churchgoer   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

<br />The "Churchgoer" is one of those memorable drinks: a little sweet, just a tad bitter, and each ingredient knows its place and blends with all of the others. To the best of my recollection, this drink is only the the second one that I rated unhesitantly at 5.0, since joining KindredCocktails oh so many cocktails ago (and about six months ago).

For my taste, I can make no suggestion that might improve it, because the "Churchgoer" is nothing short of spectacular. It was posted 15 months ago, and I am only the second person to rate this drink, and the first to comment on it. The "Churchgoer" deserves a better fate. Its ingredients are readily available, and you can use The Botanist gin if you don't have St. George Terrior gin. If you are a gin lover, you'll find both deserve to be your bar. If you are not a gin lover, but enjoy a good gin drink, you'll appreciate the "Churchgoer." If you believe there's no such thing as a good gin cocktail, I think the "Churchgoer" will change your mind. This is one cocktail that deserves to be tried at least once in your lifetime.

• Reply to: Sel de la Mer   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

This is just such a beautiful use of manzanilla in a modern cocktail. For lack of celery bitters, I used Ango, with good results. Might try something different next time. Delicious.

• Reply to: Tuesdays with Mole   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

I saw a similar recipe that I made tonight that had equal parts (.75 oz) Averna, Cognac, Appleton Estate, lemon juice and simple.  I used demerara and cut it to .5oz.  The recipe also called for chocolate bitters but I used mole bitters. I thought it was lovely.  A less funky Art of Choke.

<br />
    I made and rated this drink before, but with no comment. At that time, I made the drink as written, and rated it at 3.5 (I'm not a big fan of dry vermouth). This time, being out of Tanqueray, I turned to Citadelle, which is more floral-forward, and definitely less juniper. Also, I used 1/4 oz each of Dolin dry vermouth and Vya blanco vermouth.

The change in both gin and vermouth made, for me, a more satisfying cocktail--one that I rated at 4.0. For those who are adventerous, you may want to give these changes a try. Magellan gin should do just fine as a sub for Citadelle. Bon Voyage!

• Reply to: Martini (Modern: 5:1)   by   1 month 7 hours ago

<br />Lordy! Lordy! What a drink. This was my first martini, and I'm on the far side of 21 years. But let me explain why I liked this drink so much. First, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury gin, which I like even more than Tangqueray Ten. Although Bloomsbury's a London dry gin, it has a great bouquet and it goes down very easily. Now here's where I deviated from the called for dry vermouth. I used, instead, Dolin Blanc (a semi-sweet vermouth), and finished it up with a lemon twist, making sure I had a nice amount of lemon flavoring expressed on the cocktail's surface before I dropped the twist in. Light, tasty, and oh so easy going down. A memorable drink!

• Reply to: Detroit Athletic Club   by   1 month 2 days ago

Curated this. Added "Teeling" as an ingredient, moved the specific type to notes. Added year and bar information. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Seelbach   by   1 month 2 days ago

Due to the NYT article, I updated the source attribution.  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Seelbach   by   1 month 2 days ago
  • Reply to: the Minton   by   1 month 3 days ago

A very, very pleasant drink with, as expected, fruity overtones. On this, my first try with "The Minton," I made some small changes. Of course, I don't know if the changes made the drink betterr or worse--or no difference at all. However, the changes resulted in my rating the cocktail at 5. The changes were small: (1) To tone down the anticipated sweetness, I used 1/4 oz Aperol and 1/4 oz Campari. Thus the sweetness of the Aperol was there, but just a tad of bitterness floated to the top due to the Campari. (2) with the three dashes of orange bitters, I used four drops for each dash, not the traditional three drops. Each dash had two drops of Regans' orange bitters and two drops of Angustora orange bitters. I have seen a number of cocktail recipes that combined these two brands into what was called "house bitters." The change in taste is subtle.

I would like to get some feedback on changes I made--for better or worse. I would like to hear what changes others have made and what the results were. Meanwhile, drink up, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Boston Common   by   1 month 3 days ago

Given all the ingredients that make up "Boston Common," it ought to be called Mulligan's Stew. On a more serious note, the Boston Common is a complex drink--the Amaro Nardini is there, so is the lemon (even though I put in less than 3/8 oz), the Cognac, and to a lesser degree, the rye is able to poke its head above water (figuratively speaking). One person suggested using a rye less pronounced in taste than Rittenhouse. That suggestion was made approximately four years ago, with no response. It's worth exploring, but I suspect that the lemon more than Cognac will get through. I'm willing to try a less pronounced rye than Rittenhouse and let others know what the outcome was. I will choose between WhistlePig (10 yrs), Templeton (6 yrs) and Wild Turkey (a blend of 4 & 5 year old whiskies). Suggestions from others of ryes to try will be considered, so long as I don't go broke in the process of buying them.

The three ryes I mentioned, I currently have. Given the experience I've had with them, I'm inclined to try WhistlePig 10 yrs. I will report the outcome no later than mid-December, whether the Cognac will be more easily tasted if a rye other than Rittenhouse is used . As is, I rated the Boston Common at 4.0. The drink's sourness kept me from rating the Boson Common any higher.

• Reply to: Boston Common   by   1 month 3 days ago

Given all the ingredients that make up "Boston Common," it ought to be called Mulligan's Stew. On a more serious note, the Boston Common is a complex drink--the Amaro Nardini is there, so is the lemon (even though I put in less than 3/8 oz), the Cognac, and to a lesser degree, the rye is able to poke its head above water (figuratively speaking). One person suggested using a rye less pronounced in taste than Rittenhouse. That suggestion was made approximately four years ago, with no response. It's worth exploring, but I suspect that the lemon more than Cognac will get through. I'm willing to try a less pronounced rye than Rittenhouse and let others know what the outcome was. I will choose between WhistlePig (10 yrs), Templeton (6 yrs) and Wild Turkey (a blend of 4 & 5 year old whiskies). Suggestions from others will be considered, so long as I don't go broke in the process. The three ryes I mentioned, I currently have. Given the experience I've had with these three, I'm inclined to try WhistlePig 10 yrs. I report the outcome no later than mid-December. As is, I rated the Boston Common at 4.0. The drink's sourness kept me from rating the Boson Common any higher.

• Reply to: Oliver's Twist   by   1 month 4 days ago

"Oliver's Twist Created by Gary Regan for the Gourmet Magazine food-pairing challenge, 2004. Named for Garrett Oliver, brewmaster for the Brooklyn Brewery, and one of the other competitors.."

• Reply to: Siena   by   1 month 5 days ago

Actually pretty good. Sweet, but a little less so than I'd expected with three somewhat-to-quite sweet ingredients. Maraschino slightly dominant; maybe drop it back to .25 oz. Siena the home of Ramazzotti? My bottle says Milan ...

• Reply to: Raven Stag   by   1 month 5 days ago

This is really lovely with bourbon instead of cognac.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   1 month 5 days ago

Nice end of summer cocktail.
    I kept thinking that I wanted to work in an apple note somehow as well - for autumn. Apart from eating apple slices as we drank this.

• Reply to: The Chunnel   by   1 month 6 days ago

<br />A simple but satisfying cocktail, even in these waning days of fall. I ran out of Hendrick's, so I used Citadelle, which, like Hendrick's, is Juniper light and floral heavy. And fortunately I had several Meyer lemons on hand (NOTE: they keep in the frig for months, so it's worthwhile to have some on hand--they're versatile). I knew from my experience making G & T and adding Elderflower liqueur, that The Chunnel should be a satisfying drink.

It was that and more. The Elderflower ligqueur added complexity and some sweetness that would otherwise be missing. The Meyer lemon is a must for this drink; its tartness is soft but detectable, and not overwhelming. Ironically, the lemon twist, with its expressed oil, add a taste that is hard to describe, but is sorely essential for making this drink delightful. Easily, I rate this drink as 4.0. Try it, even in these late fall days. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Be sure, however, to use a gin such as Hendrick's and Citadelle, which is Juniper light and floral heavy. Otherwise, you may be sorely disappointed.

• Reply to: Suzette   by   1 month 1 week ago

Because of  the comment made by one person that the given recipe was only a "passable Negroni," that lacked depth, I decided to see if I could come up with changes that would overcome the flaw(s) as he/she saw them.

1.  First, I changed gins, from Bombay Saphire to Liberator Gin, made by Valentine Co. in Detroit (an excellent gin, I might add.) Liberator gin is lighter in taste than Bombay Saphire.
    2. Next, I changed the vermouth to Cocchi Vermouth de Torino (which is less sweet and somewhat earthy in flavor--but not too earthy) than the traditional red sweet vermouth.  If that is not available, I recommend Dolin Blanc.It is a white vermouth that is not as sweet as the traditional red vermouth..
    3. Finally, I used Salers (only because I didn't have Suze, but my readings suggest the two to be somewhat alike.)
    4. The amount of gin and Salers was not changed, but I used only 1 oz of vermouth.

The resultant cocktail did not overwhelm Salers, and given my experience tasting Negroni varients, I was quite satisfied with the resultant cocktail, and  would rate it as 4 stars.

I would be interested in hearing from others about the changes I made.

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   1 month 1 week ago

<p>
    Goodness! For a drink with only three ingredients, this cocktail has generated a lot of comments. Well, let me add one more. I used 2 oz of a topshelf gin, 1 oz of Cocchi Americano, and 1 oz of Salers. Based on earlier comments, I had a hunch the resulting drink would be on the sweet side, which it was. So I did one simple thing that I did not see mentioned in any of the comments, but which I thought would take away some of the excess sweetness: I used a good-sized lemon twist. Sure enough, the expressed lemon oil from the twist did the trick. So, my suggestion is, regardless of how much you put in of whatever it is, finish up with a good-sized lemon twist. You'll be surprised at the positive difference it'll make in the drink.</p>

• Reply to: A Clockwork Orange   by   1 month 1 week ago

Seriously  my favorite cocktail to introduce guests to amaros and floral elements. perfectly balanced. excellent mouth feel. killer nose. i like it with a big rock and a long tightly curled thin orange twist.

• Reply to: Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   by   1 month 1 week ago

Used 1/4 Cherry Heering and 1/2 barspoon of absinthe in the mix. As per Simonson's A proper drink. Delicious.

• Reply to: Fair & Warmer   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated from 1 1/2 oz to 1/2 oz Lillet as per source reference.

• Reply to: Roysty Nail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Mojo, thanks for trying it out. Your take on it matches mine, so I made some alterations above which improve it some. Even still, its virtues are smoothness and accessibility rather than excitement and daring.

(For the record, the original recipe was 2 oz blended Scotch, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2 oz Drambuie, 2 dashes bitters, lemon twist and brandied cherry.)

• Reply to: Jamaican Art   by   1 month 1 week ago

No guiding comments, no ratings, and no true gold rum. The odds were against me, but I decided to give "Jamacian Art" a try, mostly because the recipe is simple and straightforward. Besides, I have so many rums, I was able to come up with a rum that approximated a gold rum, while in truth it was a shade or so darker--I chose Mount Gay Eclipse, a Barbados rum that is quite smooth and full tasting. The rum notes come through, but the cynar keeps the rum from overwhelming everything, and the Cardaman bitters adds a complementary taste, giving the cocktail a fuller, rounder taste.

When all is said and done, I rate this cocktail between 3.5 and 4.0. I will be buying a bottle of Bacardi Gold to try the "Jamacian Art" with a true gold rum. I may find the taste to be different; who knows? A sidenote: I used a small swatch of orange, expressed its oil, and then dropped the orange peel into the drink. A nice garnish. I would not use a large swatch, resulting in a large amount of expressed oil. I think doing so would unbalance the various flavors inherent in this otherwise tasty drink.