• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

If you can find it, try Unicum Plum. Delicious.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I brought it back from New York (Astor W&S). I bought it exclusively to make The Fall of Man, which was very good but not as good as some other Beta cocktails that required rare ingredients (like the Warning Label - Lemon Hart 151 is the best).

Unicum is so much better than Zwack. It's closer to Fernet, which actually might be an ok substitution in this drink.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Fess up. You found Zwack Unicum amaro and not just Zwack Next liqueur? Where?

• Reply to: New Hat Batched   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Needs instructions. I also think this would be better written as a one-drink non-batched recipe, with instructions for batching.

• Reply to: The Chanticleer Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Quite good, and heightened finely by a couple drops of oleo saccharum (should you have it on hand).

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I 2nd the comparison to ruby grapefruit. I'm fine with bitter, but this is a funny combo of bitter and acidic. Made with mediocre gin, so maybe botanicals save it. For the record I'm not a grapefruit fan, so maybe it's me, too.

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated to conform to style guidelines. I agree, as written, it will not fit in a proper-sized cocktail glass. Would need a 10 oz glass or so. Serve with two staws?? ;)

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Are the amounts correct? 5.5 oz seems like an awfully large drink (even at low abv). Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Sencha Flip   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I think it's better to infuse the tea in the gin, as adding all that water to egg white gives you a watery drink. Oh, I also sell sencha: http://www.kentwang.com/sencha-tea.html

• Reply to: Tommy Gun   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated  this. Removed picture and note and rewrote instructions to avoid copyright issues. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: White Tai   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Wonderful nose, really highlighted the rum and lime elements, just a hint of sweet.  I always use a lighter touch with the orgeat.  Might sub out one of the rums for Arrack Batavia cause I happen to have it.  5 star.

• Reply to: Lonesome Dove   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Like the name and the concept of this drink.  I made a "version" of it with muddled dark brown sugar, plum bitters, and blackberries.  And just shook the lemon, bourbon, and honey syrup (no allspice dram on hand).  I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.  I really like drinks that turn out deep purple in color like this one did.

• Reply to: Volstead (revised)   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Mmm, nice. A smidge more Punsch on my end and I'm happy.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Agreed, I'd like to retry it with two ounces rum to a half ounce each Mandarine and Campari, with maybe a dash of bitters. Seems like a waste of a premium rum to background it.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Made it with Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos.
    It looks like Mandarine Napoleon and Campari are at the spotlight, and not the rum. Anyway, interesting combination of gentian and tangerine with rum background. Sweet but not cloying.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply to: Flaming Homer   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated for correct brand of Maurin Quina.

• Reply to: Moonage Daydream   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

A variation from emulch:
    Hanky Zacapa
    2 oz Guatemalan rum, Zacapa
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Dolin
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Punt e Mes
    1 bsp Fernet Branca (heavy)
    1 ds Bitters, Angostura

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Plenty of stronger drinks in this database.

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

a) Definitely for AFTER breakfast. b) See reference.

Honestly though, it's not as strong (tasting) as it looks.

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Congratulations, Scott, on Gaz's 101 Best New Cocktails 2014. I just got the newsletter from Gaz, read the recipe, and thought, "Hey, that sounds familiar...."

• Reply to: Black Negroni   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I've got nice result with equal parts of 120 proof gin, Campari and Averna (with Bitter Truth Orange and Aromatic bitters). It seems not as sweet as with standard proof gin and Angostura/Regan's. Maybe it helps...

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

a) 1 1/2 oz of W&N? That's a lot of booze in one drink. b) Petrol?!?

• Reply to: Earthbound Cocktail   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Could we call a "splash" a barspoon? Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Thanks, Dan! Do let us know what you think about it on the rocks.  We tend to favor drinks like this straight up, but it's definitely a slow sipper that way, so a gradual dilution might be interesting as well.  Couldn't find anything on Laurie King's twitter...can you point us to what you saw?

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I wish more people agreed with you.