• Reply to: Too Much Too Little Too Late   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

For fans of the Negroni and its many variants, this is the drink to drink! It's slightly sweet with the Cocchi Americano blending together with the Apricot liqueur. And there's just a tad of bitterness from the Gran Classico. As for the gin, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury, a floral London Dry Gin that I, personally, like just a little more than Tanqueray Ten. And instead of Angostura Orange bitters, I used (on a whim) a dash of Blood Orange bitters by Bittermens. I don't think anything I did could make this drink taste any better-- it's a great drink on its own. If you don't believe me, try it!

<br />
    An interesting drink, one that I would probably put into the "after dinner" category. A little on the sweet side, with what I would describe as having a somewhat "thick" feel in the mouth--but not unpleasant by any means. For the rye, I used top-shelf 6 year-old Sazerac rye. I agree with one person who thought that the person who posted this cocktail should have specified the bitters to be used. I used black walnut as suggested by another person, but I was not entirely satisfied with the outcome. While it was not a bad choice for a bitters with this cocktail, I think there's probably a better choice. I just don't know what it is!

Regardless, the basic drink is a good one, however I would not use an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse because such ryes can overwhelm the other ingredients. Some solid ryes in the 80 to 95 proof range to consider are Wild Turkey Rye (81 proof), Michter's (90 proof), and Bulleit Small Batch rye (95proof). Now to search for a bitters that will complement the flavors in this otherwise great cocktail!

• Reply to: Drink My Blood   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

A drier version with Solerno instead of syrup

• Reply to: Pear Collins   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Used rothmans pear liqueur instead of pear juice and skipped the syrup to makes a very delicate and dry cocktail.  Fabulous

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I know the comment is 2 1/2 years old but I was always befuddled but the person above bashing Smith & Cross, a highly regarded rum and one I find unique and interesting.  He evokes Ed Hamilton in his trash talk so I dug around Ed's Ministry of Rum web site looking for his scathing review and pretty much what I found was this...

"...this is not a sipping rum by contemporary standards but rather reflects the tastes and production of the 19th century.  Used sparingly in cocktails it adds a broad dimension to both the aroma and taste in cocktails".

Fair enough...  I'm not much of a rum sipper anyway but for me this is spot-on.

• Reply to: Pegasus   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated from 1 to 2 drinks as it seems plenty big enough for two. Also fixed capitalization and tweaked up instructions to conform to style guidelines.

• Reply to: Amer Picon Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This is the ideal cocktail for those who like a sweet but not too sweet drink, and those who like a chocolate-like taste. I suspect that's about 80% of adult Americans. I used Amer Picon and one of my favorite top-shelf Italian vermouths, Contratto Rosso. This is a drink that deserves a top-shelf vermouth, whatever that brand may be. And it's definitely an after-dinner drink, one to be lingered over and enjoyed. Simple to make, and easy to enjoy!

• Reply to: Penultimate Word   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />I

• Reply to: Twentieth Century Cocktail (Meletti)   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

My expectations for this drink were high; it was rated 5 by seven people. I made one minor change, reducing the lemon juice from 3/8 oz to 1/4 oz. I did this because over the years I found that the requisite amount of lemon juice for a given cocktail recipe was too much for my taste buds, so I generally reduce the amount of lemon juice by 40 to 50%. The result is--for me--a satisfactory cocktail. When I reduced the lemon juice here, I was left with a pleasant cocktail that I rated as 4.0. Later, I found in my refrigerator a pink lemon described as having a "tangy taste." So I tried it, using 3/8 oz of juice. I was pleasently surprised; it did not have the sour taste inherent in the traditional lemon. This libation I rated as 4.5. By the way, I used two dashes of the mole in both variations; I like a chocolate taste!.The next time I try this cocktail, I will use a Meyer lemon, which looks like a small orange, but is a lemon with a less sour taste. I will leave a comment on the outcome using a Meyer lemon, Some will wonder why am I doing all this? Good question! The reason is that I know I am not the only person who finds the requisite amount of lemon juice is too much, and even a small reduction is not entirely satisfactory. So, I am exploring other avenues as an alternative to the lemon when the cocktail recipe calls for lemon juice. Who knows--maybe the Nobel Peace prize!

• Reply to: Penultimate Word   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />I stumbled upon this drink by accident today: it was the featured cocktail of the day at Kindredcocktail.com. I looked over the ingredients and decided to give it a try. I used a top-shelf gin, made by St. George in CA named Terroir. It is NOT a London Dry style gin; it is, as you might guess from the gin's name, a gin made from a variety of CA botanicals, including "Douglas Fir, CA bay laurel, fennel, coastal sage, orris root, angelica root, juniper berries, and other profoundly aromatic botanical ingrediients." I also reduced the lemon juice from 1 oz to 1/2 oz, and used a fat 1/2 oz Maraschino liqueur. The result was a splended drink, in part, I believe, to the uniquely earthy but wholey drinkable St. George gin. If this gin is not available, I recommend using a highly botonical gin such as Magellen Blue, Citadelle, or Tanqueray Bloomsbury. Tanqueray Ten may work well, also. Oh, yes, before I forget, I rated this drink 5.0 using the changes I made. How well another gin will work, I will leave to others to discover and comment on. Meanwhile, enjoy this drink; it is full of flavors.

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Just revisited this one using Bluecoat, Cocchi di Torino, and Cynar 70. Mixed it once as posted and it was very nice: the C70 intensified the bitterness and ABV and in so doing balanced nicely against the hefty maraschino. Mixed it again with 2 oz gin and reduced the maraschino to 1 tsp. Better? Maybe. YOU make the call. Glad you dug it, wthrift.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

A worthy addition to the range, I think. Used Bonal in place of Maurin.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />I'm surprised that this drink was posted two years ago and, until now, no one has commented on it or rated it. This is a lovely, tasty drink, whose ingredients blend together well despite being so disparate. There is not, for example, the marked bitterness associated with Campari or gin's Juniiper. But the sweet vermouth makes its presence known despite its relatively small quantity. For this drink I used all top-shelf brands: Tanqueray Malacca gin, Contratto sweet vermouth, Character (a medium dry Amontillado sherry by Sandeman), and, of course, Campari. For those who are not fond of a dry sherry taste, I dscovered by accident that using only 1 1/4 oz of Amontillado results in a somewhat sweeter, but still delicious cocktail. Imbibe!

• Reply to: Golden Lion   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />A surprisingly pleasant drink, one that goes down easily in a hot, late afternoon, just before dinner, or one to drink at a barbeque. I used an Aquivit by Linie, not North Shore. I have little experience with Aquivits to know if there is much difference between Linie and North Shore. Regardless, I recommend this drink to those who like Aquivit. Dolin vermouth is one of my favorites vermouths (it is in the $16 range), and I recommend the Dolin vermouths heartily. My only suggestion for this drink is to use a skinny 1/2 oz Galliano. A full 1/2 oz of Galliano tends to overwhelm the other ingredients and make for a drink that some may find too sweet. Other than that, make and enjoy!

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Excellent as written using antica formula.

• Reply to: Deviled Negroni   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I considered calling it "The Devil in Miss Negroni" but worried that might be a bit gauche...

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Also there's Joaquin Simo's version :

2.0 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac

.75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

.75 oz lemon juice

1 barspoon 2:1 Demerara sugar syrup (how much is a "barspoon" anyway?)

• Reply to: Waterloo   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Nice and refreshing; doubling the lime juice doesn't hurt.

• Reply to: Scotch Cringe aka Lavender Cadaver   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Very drinkable, but I just used Maker's Mark instead of scotch (I found it ended up being great if you don't like the taste of whisky, but want to make a drink with it anyway).

• Reply to: Root Beer Barrel   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Had to do a few substitutions, but I loved the result.

• 3/4 oz Root Beer syrup from Portland Soda Works
    • 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
    • 1/4 oz Fernet Branca
    • 3/4 oz Cointreau
    • 1/4 oz Licor 43
    • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • Reply to: PS3   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Can you estimate a splash of Campari so it's reproduceable by other users? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Wicker Sunrise   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

damn, that is interestingly tasty. (or tastily interesting?)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Summer in a glass

• Reply to: Bourbon Milk Punch   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Found this variation: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016276-bourbon-milk-punch

• 1 ¼ ounces bourbon
    • ½ ounce dark rum
    • 2 ounces milk (use cream or half-and-half for a richer drink)
    • ⅛ ounce vanilla extract
    • ½ ounce simple syrup (see note)
    • Dash of grated nutmeg

In a mixing glass three-quarters filled with ice, pour the bourbon, rum, milk or cream, vanilla and simple syrup. Shake vigorously until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass. Dust with nutmeg.

Very nice!

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   2 months 1 day ago

It's hard to measure dash of CdV and Maraschino liqueur. I prefer the 1/4 oz CdV, 1/3-1/2 oz Maraschino along w 1/2-3/4 oz lemon juice and 2 oz gin.