• Reply to: Gin-Gin Mule   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated this: These 6/6/10 drinks were the first round of things added to KC, and included some classics. I'm going to merge the other versions of the Gin-Gin Mule into this one. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fortune Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Estimated the amount of Champagne you're going to need to top a standard glass. Anyone have an idea of what a 'small handful' of mint is? I'd lean toward a sprig of mint versus a handful, otherwise the drink is going to taste like mint and nothing else. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Death & Taxes   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

2014-03-29 - Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

2015-04-11 - continuing the tradition of drinking this whilst doing my taxes, one year later. This time I have proper Death's Door Gin & Jerry Thomas bitters. A wonderful drink to take the pain away.

• Reply to: High Noon   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Looks like a riff on a Siesta by Katie Stipe, replacing lime with triple sec and upping the grapefruit to compensate for the lost citrus from the lime.

• Reply to: Black Diamond   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I've made it with both Rye and Bourbon and I really enjoy it. Nicely done.

• Reply to: Sitting With Stella   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I know the "Smash" category is broad, but the general consensus is that there's some sort of fruit and some sort of herbal component, usually mint - that it's a Julep on a small plan (to quote Savoy). I think this is publishable, but can you come up with a different name so it doesn't cause problems with the search?  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Winchester   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Curated this. Changed out Beefeater for Martin Miller Westbourne, removed Fee Bros. as the grenadine, all as per the link. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Maybe with green Chartreuse it's a Yellowpoint.

I'm a big fan of the original.  My favourite of the Brooklyns, I think.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Delicious! Tried substituting green Chartreuse on the recommendation of a guy in a bar, and liked it just as well, maybe better. You don't want a timid rye for this drink, especially when using green Chartreuse.

I wonder how it'd be using a smoky scotch instead of the rye?

• Reply to: Carrie's Book Club   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Seems hard to believe this needs the simple syrup.

• Reply to: Long Faced Dove   by   2 months 7 hours ago

Curated this - changed "tequila" to "Blanco tequila" as per link. added date attribution and changed type to authentic recipe. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   2 months 1 day ago

Zachary,

Maybe increase the Cognac to 1 1/2 oz? I was trying to make a drink to use my Apry in, and wanted to use Pierre Ferrand 1840 to bolster the apricot notes, not to give the drink much of a brandy character per se. As it is, this is basically a Hoop-La by way of a Self Starter. Your shaken Cognac and Pineau idea sounds intriguing--maybe a Pompadour riff?

Rafa

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   2 months 2 days ago

Rafa,

This is nice, but the Cognac gets a bit lost. I was thinking about subbing 1/2 oz of the Cocchi for Pineau des Charentes, but that may be getting toward a new drink. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Poire Bomb   by   2 months 2 days ago

Not bad but the maraschino dominated some for us and as such the ginger and lemon juice were a little lost. Would probably tweak the ratios a bit. Beautiful color.

• Reply to: Fourth Degree   by   2 months 3 days ago

Savoy and other sources call for a mix of sweet and dry vermouths in their Fourth Degrees, and in much more vermouth-heavy proportions than these.

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   2 months 6 days ago

Curated this. Edited recipe to reflect cited link. Thanks for the catch. Zachary

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   2 months 6 days ago

This recipe doesn't match the reference - should be 1/2 oz lime juice, 1/3 oz St Germain, 1/3 oz simple.

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   2 months 1 week ago

Good balance.  The homemade coffee liqueur I'm using is quite flavorful, and it tends to overwhelm.  I'd use 1/2 ounce of it at most next time I make the drink.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   2 months 1 week ago

Rather nice, if a touch sweet. I think I might try rye (aromatically drier than bourbon), reducing the 1/2 oz parts to maybe 1/3 oz, an adding 1/3 oz dry vermouth or sherry.

• Reply to: Kansai Kick   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated this. Removed redundant notes. Moved date in the attribution to the correct box. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Zephyr   by   2 months 1 week ago

Cutting the gin to 1.5 oz. and adding 1/2 oz of lime juice balances this drink out and makes it more palatable.

• Reply to: Another Fine Mes   by   2 months 1 week ago

This is really quite good. I made a second with a little Cynar in with the vermouth to try and amp up the vegetal side, so if you'd be interested in that, it wotks.

• Reply to: Grounds for Separation   by   2 months 1 week ago

Very tasty

• Reply to: B Squared   by   2 months 1 week ago

What Amaro do you recommend? I would think something not too bitter? Nonino?

• Reply to: Jägerita   by   2 months 1 week ago

Hard to believe this could need the simple. It doesn't actually sound bad. Just because Jägermeister is a frat-house staple, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a long history as bitters.