• Stocking a Better Bar   30 weeks 1 day ago

I like your recommendations, especially the Weller 12. And while I agree that there are better things out there than Brizard's Apry and white creme de cacao, the TF is vanilla heavy and shows through in drinks, and I figure that it's probably easier to find Apry than Albicocca (I've never seen a bottle, but I'd love to try it) or R&W (which is good stuff).

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   30 weeks 1 day ago

I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and passed one tiny-town liquor store after another. I had to keep kicking myself for not scheduling enough time to stop and explore. Seeing this article made me kick myself again. ;)

And, since you kinda asked for it, my 2 cents on recommended ingredients: for a standard-proof bourbon, I tend to fall back on Evan Williams 1783 or (as a wheated option) W.L. Weller 12 Year (or Special Reserve)... Also, regarding apricot and chocolate liqueurs... The Brizard stuff is okay, but a few better options are now both reasonably priced and fairly widely available. Rothman & Winter Apricot (and Peach, for that matter) seems pretty ubiquitous in both bars and liquor stores these days; personally, I prefer Luxardo Albicocca. Both are made the "proper" way, with apricot pits/kernels, and are around the same price. For chocolate, I can't recommend Tempus Fugit's Creme de Caçao highly enough. Rich and decadent, with a touch of vanilla. Sooo good.

• Stocking a Better Bar   30 weeks 1 day ago

This is the advanced course to the beginner's steps that I wrote on my own site:

But that advice obviously isn't for anyone who frequents this site. It's sad how intimidated people are by putting together a decent home bar, so stuff like this is so helpful - I know I would have loved an article like this when I was beginning my own bar!

• Williwaw Swizzle   30 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks Zachary!

• Nerina   30 weeks 3 days ago

Delicious. I added a dash of wormwood bitters to offset the sweet Meletti a bit. Really good.

• Williwaw Swizzle   30 weeks 3 days ago

It does now!

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   30 weeks 3 days ago

I would add Calle 23 as a great 100% agave tequila at an excellent (~$20) price point. And a peaty Scotch (like Bowmore Legend or Black Bottle at the budget end or Aberlour 10 or Lagavulin 16 a few shelves up) has a lot of use in contemporary cocktails, while something like Glenmorangie 10 or Speyburn 10 is both cheaper and more reminiscent of a standard Scotch profile than the sherried (and excellent) Balvenie and Aberlour. But these are quibbles. I'll forward this series of articles to friends who are interested in building their own home bars.

• Cosmopolitan   30 weeks 4 days ago

The Cosmo was balanced around cranberry cocktail. I think pure cranberry juice is a good addition (and an excellent ingredient in its own right), but a vodka daisy bittered with cranberry is a different drink.

• Judgment Day   30 weeks 4 days ago

Kind of a pisco sour with elderflower instead of simple syrup... me likey.

• Cosmopolitan   30 weeks 4 days ago

Would use 1/2 oz of pure cranberry juice (like from Lakewood), for bitterness and red color, NOT the cranberry juice COCKTAIL from Ocean Spray et al. (Cranberry juice cocktail is mostly apple juice.)

• Corpse Reviver #2   30 weeks 4 days ago

Must use Cocchi Americano, not Lillet Blanc.

• The Art of Choke   30 weeks 4 days ago

Made this with Depaz Agricole before I learned not all rums are interchangeable and had to pour it down the sink.
    2 months later I made it with Wray and Nephew and it was lovely.

• East Coast Tommy Margarita   30 weeks 4 days ago

I agree. I'm all for Jackson Cannon and what he has done for cocktails in the Kendall Square area of Boston, but this steps far enough away from a Margarita as to be a different drink. I Margarita is about the interplay of the pepper of the blanco, the fruit of the triple sec, and the sweet/sour balance of the liqueur and lime. Plus salt of course.

• Amore Sporco   30 weeks 4 days ago

Dayri,

Can you tell us more about the tincture? Is it a rum base and bittered?

Zachary

• The Paul Clifford   30 weeks 5 days ago

Ginger what? Juice, syrup, liqueur ... ?

• East Coast Tommy Margarita   30 weeks 5 days ago

I was discussing this idea of subbing Cointreau for agave syrup with a friend the other night, and I just don't understand the appeal - it's a tequila sour, which is fine and all that, but it's not a Margarita.

Zachary

• Third Ward Zombie   30 weeks 6 days ago

Could you give us an idea of how to make the drink (and your other entry)?

Zachary

• Don's Little Bitter   31 weeks 1 day ago

This is amazing. It's complex yet refreshing. I used Fee Bros Orange instead of the Angostura orange. Not sure how different they are. Also, per Dan's recommendation, I used a teaspoon each of the 3 bitters.

• Last Snowstorm of the Season   31 weeks 3 days ago

Last? I envy your optimism.

• My Dear, Rosemary   31 weeks 5 days ago

I just made this drink and love it!

• Greenpoint   32 weeks 1 day ago

I'm capturing this version for posterity before moderating the recipe to a more authentic version:

Previous version:
    2oz Rye
    1/2oz Punt e Mes
    1/2oz Yellow Chartreuse
    1d Angostura
    1d Orange bitters
    1tw lemon peel

• Greenpoint   32 weeks 1 day ago

Merged a duplicate from user hoarsefly which had 2 oz Bourbon, 1oz Punt e Mes, 1tsp Pastis, and 1d Angostura. "I subbed Belle Meade Bourbon for the original Rye, and Herbsaint for the original yellow Chartreuse."

• Death's Door Cocktail   32 weeks 3 days ago

does deaths door make a navy strength gin?

• Vieux Mode   32 weeks 4 days ago

so, what happened to our buddy fargo? he pulled his one and only cocktail?

• Black Manhattan   32 weeks 4 days ago

I found that adding a couple of dashes of Scrappy's Cardamom Bitters (as well as Angostura) further enhanced the complexity of this drink