• Reply to: Curbside Cider   by   8 months 1 week ago

Not bad, but the Fernet is pretty strong.  There are better cider recipes out there.

• Reply to: New Amsterdam Winter Fix   by   8 months 1 week ago

The linked recipe adds superfine sugar or simple syrup to the muddle. I made it without and thought it very nice and balanced without the additional sweetener.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 1 week ago

I curated this per the link, which has Sam Ross making the drink and explaining the ingredients. There are a lot recipes floating around the internet for this, most of which simplify the ginger part of the sweetener, or sub different Scotches, but I figure that if we have a video of the creator of the drink, that should be the canonical recipe.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 1 week ago

I second the comments stated by, "Fransos".

3/8 oz. Honey Syrup

3/8 oz Sweetened Ginger Juice

(not 3/4 oz Ginger-Honey Syrup)

Created, 2005

(As per Sam's, "Bartender's Choice" App.)

*this needs curation*

• Reply to: Arrack Swizzle (Cienfuegos)   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

There was a curation request to change the volume of rum and sweet vermouth to 3/4 oz from 1/2 oz. Done. If there's a link to cite, please include it.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Clever clever clever. The Chartreuse fits in perfectly.

• Reply to: Orange Union   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - simplified the note on the Bourbon -  all OGD variants are high-rye, edited to "bonded".  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Slow Decay   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

I thought I was over IPAs. I may be back on board.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

This cocktail is shockingly well-balanced. A work of genius.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

I wonder if this might be a good use for Cynar 70.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Not too sweet at all with Combier kümmel, but your mileage may vary.

• Reply to: Kümmel Trident (Jack Rose)   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Hmmm. Aquavit isn't sweetened. I'm skeptical of the sugar balance in this one....

• Reply to: Scarlet Knight   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Based on ingredients on hand, omitted the eau de vie spritzed mint sprig, but substituted St. George Terroir gin to add some fir/forest essence.  Also substituted a few dashes of rhubarb bitters for the Zucca.  Fantastic holiday cocktail.

• Reply to: Williamsburg   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Deliciously smoky. A perfect aperitif for potato-apple-cheddar soup on a cold day.

• Reply to: The Secret Is in the Telling   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

That must be what the secret is.

• Reply to: The Secret Is in the Telling   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

That's a good question. The link is broken, and the current cocktail menu doesn't have this on it. Perhaps the OP can chime in, but it's not lime peel as garnish. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Secret Is in the Telling   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

Can someone explain where the second portion of lime juice is to be used, please?

• Reply to: Harvest Moon   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

Good on first try. I'll tweak to taste, but it's on my menu.

• Reply to: Fancy Free   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

Suggests you stir in-glass with a large cube, and serve with orange twist garnish.

• Reply to: Autumn's Daiquiri   by   9 months 2 days ago

I just made this with Schilling ginger cider which added nicely to the Thanksgiving vibe.

• Reply to: The Manhattan Transfer   by   9 months 1 week ago

One of my favourites from the D&C book (which omits the lemon, but both versions are good).

• Reply to: Bombay Sour   by   9 months 1 week ago

Curated this: removed references to fresh ingredients - that's assumed here at Kindred Cocktails. Changed amount of cardamom powder from dash to pinch. Changed amount of tamarind from dash to teaspoon (I'm guessing you want a small amount of tamarind paste muddled with the ginger).

When you say "shake with ice in batches", do you mean that all the liquid is batched, then shaken over fresh ice for each drink? Are the muddled ingredients meant to be quartered and added to each fresh shaker?  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Racketeer   by   9 months 1 week ago

Excellent. I will definitely make this again.

Flavors open with honey and progress slowly through a honeyed Chartreuse spice and then a minty complexity reminiscent of Fernet Branca. It fades into balanced and pleasant bitterness. (I used del maguey vida and 1/4+1/4oz punt e mes & cinzano.)

It's on the sweet side, especially at the start. I'd love to keep the rich complexity and spice while reducing some of the sweetness.

• Reply to: Marta of the Spring   by   9 months 1 week ago

Tasted a bit sweet to me; added a few dashes of Peychauds bitters.

• Reply to: Culross Cocktail (Teardrop Lounge)   by   9 months 1 week ago

Not bad.  I used Havana Club since the original called for pre-embargo Cuban Bacardi.  I think it would have been better wiih the richer demerara or a funky Jamaican run.