• Reply to: The Gringo   by   7 months 5 days ago

Marlowe,

They're the same thing. Since we have a lot of Bianco (semisweet, but light in color) vermouths, it didn't make a lot of sense to rig up the database to handle Dolin Blanc.

Zachary

• Reply to: Barber of Seville   by   7 months 6 days ago

Perfectly balanced. The crushed almond/orange zest garnish is essential.

• Reply to: Fond de Culotte   by   7 months 1 week ago

Made with Finger Lakes Distilling cassis. Light and really good. Tastes like a funky sweet vermouth.

• Reply to: The Wall Street Journalist   by   7 months 1 week ago

Norm,

This article: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405297020479530457722129180... ? I don't see it in there.

Zachary

• Reply to: Phillips Rose   by   7 months 1 week ago

For an interesting riff on this, try it with Reposado Mezcal, and Rhubarb Bitters.

• Reply to: Le Mot de La Fin   by   7 months 1 week ago

A delightful Last Word variation.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   7 months 1 week ago

(sheepishly) Actually I use Beefeater and Laphroaig 10, although I did enjoy the Botanist. I'm not sure I got a ton of Islay out of it though.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   7 months 1 week ago

The gin and Scotch work well together because they're made by the same people. Glad y'all have liked this.

Zachary

• Reply to: Marconi Wireless   by   7 months 1 week ago

The variation we have tried is:

2 oz Applejack (or calvados)
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Cinzano
    1 ds Peychaud's bitters
    Lemon twist garnish

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   7 months 1 week ago

Challenging. I admit that I swapped the amounts of the Violette and Gran Classico. Austere and floral. The gin and Islay works better than it has any right to. Worth summoning the courage to try -- maybe even more than once.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   7 months 1 week ago

This is an excellent and subtle cocktail that is still light and appealing to those often daunted by complex drinks. Personally, I prefer it with Creme Yvette as I find the Creme de Violette is a bit sweet for my tastes.

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   7 months 1 week ago

The variations(s) we like best are:

2 parts gin (London dry-ish)
    1 part Suze OR Aveze OR Salers
    1 part Kina l'Avignon d'Or OR Bianco vermouth OR Cocchi Americano OR Lillet Blanc

Stir with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with a lemon peel.
    The different aperitifs make for nice variations.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Dan, I've made one with Mezcal, I was thinking of putting it up but would take it down if it's too similar, is yours posted? If so, under what name, and if not, would you mind putting the build?

• Reply to: The Slope   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

A nice variation is the Sunset Park, with dry vermouth rather than Punt e Mes.

• Reply to: The Slope   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Since I use Punt e Mes as my house sweet vermouth, this isn't THAT different from a regular Manhattan. Still, the apricot notes are very nice, and the large amount of rye achieves a nice sugar balance with the added liqueur. A welcome addition to the family of rye / aromatized wine family. Large, and hence a bit powerful.

• Reply to: Vesper   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Our preferred variation is:
    21⁄4 oz Gin
    3⁄4 oz Vodka
    1⁄2 oz Kina L'Avion D'Or OR Cocchi Americano
    1 twst Lemon zest (as garnish)

The current Lillet doesn't have the amount of quinine that it used to in the 1960s. These two substitutes, we think, make a better drink. One of these, you want to go climb a tree; two, you couldn't climb a tree if you had to.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

I use the same rum:lime juice:simple syrup ratio as a daiquiri (2oz:1oz:1/2oz) and (lightly) muddle about eight mint leaves. I use 1 to 1.5 ounces of club soda -- don't want to water it down too much.

• Reply to: Henry "Box" Brown   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Possibly my favorite cocktail. A well-aged rum is essential; others work, Appleton Estate 12, there's an El Dorado 12 I've found that works well too. Last time I was at Hop Sing I think they were using a Gosling Family reserve.

Finding nice grapes and juicing them is the only real reason I don't make this all the time.

• Reply to: Margarita   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

My preferred recipe
    2.0 oz Silver/blanco tequila (OR 1.5 oz tequila and 0.5 oz mezcal for a smokey variant)
    1.0 oz Citrus juice, freshly squeezed (1 ounce lime juice OR half ounce each of lime juice and lemon juice)
    0.75 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau, Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao, or Creole Shrub)
    0.25 oz Agave syrup (If omitting the agave syrup, bump up the triple sec to a full ounce)
    Half salted rim

• Reply to: North by Northwest   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

<p>Apple butter is apple sauce that is caramelized by long, slow cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter</p>

• Reply to: Black Scottish Cyclops   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

In addition to a straight-up peaty Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, or Ardbeg), I have found that Talisker 10 year works very well in this cocktail. Other, less powerful, whiskys would just be overpowered (in part because 4 dashes of Fee Whiskey Barrel bitters is very intense).

• Reply to: Widow's Kiss   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

It is a much better drink with Calvados, in my opinion. We always use Calvados -- with the same 2:1:1 ratios as the original recipe.

• Reply to: Martini   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

The 3-1 ratio of gin to dry vermouth along with orange bitters and a lemon peel is the recipe I use. I've seen this particular variant called the "Nick and Nora". Moving on to "which gins" and "which vermouths" could fill pages.

• Reply to: North by Northwest   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Apple butter?

• Reply to: Little Italy   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Made using homemade figs in syrup. Definitely not cherry, but worked nicely