• Building a Better Bar   26 weeks 6 days ago

I use a lightly modified wine rack with good shelving. Surprisingly, it's spacious enough to hold most of my booze if I get creative about it, though I still keep a spare bottle or two (usually Scotch) on our adjacent desk to distract my girlfriend when she's supposed to be reading medical books. The rig's a bit overburdened-looking though and I still have nightmares about the whole thing collapsing.

• Building a Better Bar   26 weeks 6 days ago

You know, I'd love to see what solution people have come up with for their bars. Dan, could we set up a page for people to link their pictures if enough people want to do it?

I just wanted this thing built right the first time. The bad thing is it's already almost too full ;)

Zachary

• Building a Better Bar   26 weeks 6 days ago

that's a gorgeous piece. i've repurposed two ethan allen hutches stacked atop chests of drawers for mine. i love it, but i fell victim to only planning for what i had, not what i'd end up having--thanks for the well thought out ideas and suggestions

• The Search for Delicious   27 weeks 1 day ago

Amazing.

• Scotch Lodge   27 weeks 1 day ago

Looks like Imbibe corrected their version as well.

• Scotch Lodge   27 weeks 1 day ago

Moderated to correct Scotch quantity as per e-mail from Tommy Klus.

• PPX   27 weeks 1 day ago

:-)

"P.X., P.P.X., P.P.P.X. ... Levels of V.I.P.

[The various P.X. designations are widely used in the restaurant business. It is thought that they are an abbreviation of Personne (Particulièrement) Extraordinaire.]"

• PPX   27 weeks 1 day ago

Do you stutter when you say "Pedro"?

• My Idea of Fun   27 weeks 2 days ago

So good. This combination of rums is phenomenal.

• Swipe   27 weeks 2 days ago

Great drink, love what those bitters add!

• Egg Nug   27 weeks 3 days ago

fair enough.

• Egg Nug   27 weeks 3 days ago

I've always found both Branca products to have a definite pot(still?) funk.

That said:

Jamaican rum, Smith & Cross (marijuana-infused; primo only—no stems, no seeds; Colorado and Washington states only)

Garnish with grated nug.

• Egg Nug   27 weeks 3 days ago

You forgot the marijuana.

• No. 67   27 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed Aged Citrus Bitters, 5 by 5 to Bitters, 5 by 5 Aged Citrus, just to clean up the ingredient pile.

Zachary

• No. 67   27 weeks 3 days ago

done and done--you were totally right with the bitters call

• Cherry Russell   27 weeks 5 days ago

Glad you liked it! Your substitution seems both appropriate and delicious in its own right... The gin/cognac combo felt a little weird "on paper," but after having some success with this drink, it's something I've been meaning to explore further.

• Carried Away Down Mexico Way   27 weeks 6 days ago

Yum. Go easy on the kümmel.

• Roses in the Snow   27 weeks 6 days ago

Hendrick's is definitely a good substitute, though Val's is even more cucumber-intensive. And the rosewater gave me pause as well; I thought maybe she was using a particularly dilute example, but the brand she links to is as intense as any.

• Roses in the Snow   27 weeks 6 days ago

That's a whole lotta rosewater - I'm wondering how it doesn't come across like your grandmother's washed your mouth out with soap. I think that Hendricks might be a good sub for the gin if you can't find Uncle Val's.

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   28 weeks 6 hours ago

Zachary,

The strength is straight out of Jerry Thomas (see here: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/mississippi-punch-drink-recipe , and note that Thomas called for two parts Cognac to one part each rum and bourbon, vs Willett's equal parts sour recipe), and implies to me that this is no punch for polite company, but rather 19th Century jungle juice. As for the size, I agree.

• Mississippi Sour   28 weeks 6 hours ago

Rafa,

I saw the optional flag at the link. What do you make of her punch recipe there? It seems awfully small (54 ounces in a 256 oz punchbowl) and strong (about 48 proof).

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   28 weeks 6 hours ago

I marked the egg white as optional because the source for this drink did. I generally go with egg whites in sours unless they're certain fizzes (where the carbonic acid and bubbles neutralize the acidity somewhat, through magic) or I don't feel like cracking open an egg.

• Mississippi Sour   28 weeks 9 hours ago

The latest CDC estimates are that out of 45.5 billion non-pasteurized eggs produced each year in the US, 2.2 million of them are infected with salmonella, which is a rate of .000048, or 1 in 20681. At the average consumption rate, this is about 1 contaminated egg every 84 years.

Unless you're very young (in which case, you can't read this and shouldn't be drinking anyway), very old, or immune compromised, drinking a raw egg white probably won't hurt you. You've got a much better chance of getting salmonella from "pooled eggs" in restaurants - think running a case of eggs through a paint shaker and straining out the shells - or chickens, where it occurs in 1 out of every 250 of them.

Besides, egg whites aren't really optional in drinks that call for them. They texturize cocktails, and reduce the perception of acidity without additional sugar. I'd cut the acidity in half if you're not going to use them.

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   28 weeks 11 hours ago

I like the part where the egg white is optional. I guess those who use it in the drink can call it a health drink.
    Either way, this looks amazing and something that I should try out.

If you love, and remember, the children's stories that we were all taught as children then you are sure to love Piggy Fortunes. Take some time to try it out for free at the new website of shang restaurant or if you want to just jump right in and play for real money, then visit any Microgaming casino that offers Piggy Fortunes to see if you can win your share of the jackpots that are available. As always, please gamble responsibly by not wagering more than you can afford to lose and don't play for a longer period of time than what you can legitimately afford to spend. Playing the pokies is something to be enjoyed for years so have fun and enjoy Piggy Fortunes.

• Cherry Russell   28 weeks 21 hours ago

I had just made some tart red cherry syrup and was looking for cocktail ideas when I came across the "Cherry Russell". Only thing was I was all out of Cocchi Americano, so I subbed in Dolin Dry vermouth and added 2 tiny drops of gentian extract to make up for the difference in bitterness. Works great! The sweet/tart syrup blends nicely with the cognac which together plays well off the light and herbal gin and vermouth, with those little drops of gentian bringing in an almost intangible wispper of bitterness.