• Reply to: Big Easy Sour   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Delicious. Cinnamon was an inspired choice. Interestingly, as it warmed it got quite lemony, despite the large amounts of other strong ingredients. Lovely color too.

• Reply to: Noce Americana   by   8 months 19 hours ago

Would consider an absinthe rinse next time.

• Reply to: Avioncito   by   8 months 19 hours ago

I liked it - used Milagro Reposado and Averna instead of the Zucca - but didn't taste the tequila as much. Maybe the MIlagro isn't as assertive as the Espolon (I'm not a tequila guy, so not sure)?

• Reply to: Attention   by   8 months 1 day ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.

• Reply to: Attention   by   8 months 1 day ago

Recipe says 1940s origin, but this cocktail appeared in a 1916 guide (Recipes for Mixed Drinks by Hugo R. Ensslin), according to classicmixology.com.

• Reply to: Wray of Light   by   8 months 1 day ago

Than drinking it straight from the bottle, probably. Which I guess is what the Bum did in the days before he invented his Hart of Darkness.

• Reply to: Summer Babe (Winter Version)   by   8 months 1 day ago

I updated the instructions to specify that you shake with ice, baby, though unfortunately I think KC frowns on mixin' cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar.

• Reply to: Wray of Light   by   8 months 1 day ago

safer?

• Reply to: The Brave   by   8 months 1 day ago

I wonder if they did that because it's hard to get sotol in many places, similar to why the NYT published the Oaxaca Old Fashioned with Ango instead of mole bitters.

• Reply to: Summer Babe (Winter Version)   by   8 months 1 day ago

Serve with fingers, or another meal.

• Reply to: The Brave   by   8 months 2 days ago

Ha. I'll have to try it with the Sotol then. I keep hearing great things about this drink from Texan friends.

• Reply to: The Brave   by   8 months 2 days ago

Rafa,

Yeah, but Punch is wrong ;) The Sotol makes the drink.

Zachary

• Reply to: The Brave   by   8 months 2 days ago

PUNCH published a slightly different recipe substituting blanco tequila for the sotol: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-brave/

• Reply to: Hemingway Stripper Pole   by   8 months 3 days ago

Looks great. Might try this one out on a guest. I'll have to change the name lest they also get the image of Papa Hemingway riding a pole in their heads.

• Reply to: Avioncito   by   8 months 6 days ago

Finallt got around to trying this. Really good. I'm not a huge tequila fan but this one is a keeper. I did end up bumping the tequila to 1.5 oz to cut the sweetness from the amari

• Reply to: Eva Peron   by   8 months 1 week ago

Revisited after a couple years in an effort to finish off my bottle of Canton, and I still think this is an amazing drink. I do prefer it with a bit less lime however, and the last couple of times I made it I added a little orgeat since it plays so well with the Fernet Branca and the ginger. I amend my previous comments about the ginger beer being optional- it's a little syrupy without. However, the drink is on the sweet side and the ginger beer only adds to that. I've heard that King's ginger liqueur has more ginger flavor than the Canton that I finally finished, so I wonder if that with regular soda water would give enough ginger kick without getting too sweet.

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   8 months 1 week ago

Fixed, thanks, and I love that you proofread cocktail recipes at 8 in the morning. Keep on!

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   8 months 1 week ago

Haven't tried it with reposado, but imo there are no two more different age statements than reposado and añejo, they are practically different liquors. That said, I don't see why reposado wouldn't work in this drink as long as you had something hefty and peppery rather than smooth and light. It would definitely be a different drink, though.

• Reply to: California Widow   by   8 months 1 week ago

Tried this tonight given all the recent comments. Delicious blend of diverse flavors. Will be ideal for the fall.

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   8 months 1 week ago

I don't have any Anejo. Is it worth trying with a Reposado or will it be too different?

• Reply to: California Widow   by   8 months 1 week ago

Nothing unsophisticated at all about that! I made this to showcase the interplay of pear/Benny/green Chartreuse/elderflower, with the effect that it does tend to be on the sweet side. Your solution's a good one, and I made a similar choice with a sour: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/au-pair

There are other ways to balance the sugar here that are probably worth trying: verjus, citric acid, more bitters, increasing the gin, etc. Or it could be made at half size and drunk quickly.

• Reply to: California Widow   by   8 months 1 week ago

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   8 months 1 week ago

Fantastic drink. On a typographical note, the creator's name is spelled "Robitschek" I believe

• Reply to: California Widow   by   8 months 1 week ago

I was excited to try this, as I like St Germain with both pear and herbal liqueurs. Very good, though I admit my unsophisticated palette wanted some acidity to balance the liqueurs so I ended up adding 1/2 oz lemon juice.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   8 months 1 week ago

Works pretty well with other variations of amaro and bitters. I like Ramazotti instead of Cynar here, for example.