• Reply to: The Rhyme & Reason   by   9 months 4 days ago

Good drink! I added another .5oz rum and cut the syrup down to .5oz. Great drink!

• Reply to: Cointreau Palomita   by   9 months 5 days ago

Curated this per a curation request: Added soda and grapefruit twist, as per the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary.

• Reply to: The Carrauntouhill   by   9 months 6 days ago

I'd leave the cream out: I shook the hell out of it, but the froth dissipated when I added the rest. Maybe some atholl brose instead of the cream?

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   9 months 1 week ago

Rather splendid tonight with Garvey's Esplendido Spanish brandy. Dial back the simple a little.

• Reply to: Flor de Jalisco   by   9 months 1 week ago

FWIW the Death & Co. book has this as 1/4 oz. agave nectar instead of 1/2 oz. agave syrup, and no garnish.

• Reply to: Bedford-Stuyvesant   by   9 months 1 week ago

Now there's a nabe that doesn't deserve a Brooklyn riff.

(Cf. Williamsburg. May that stretch of transplanted Times Square never have a drink to call its own.)

• Reply to: Tango 'til They're Sore   by   9 months 1 week ago

I tried this with Benedictine, instead of Maraschino, as suggested by Rafa. It's fantastic, if a touch sweet. Another great use of Benedictine (so far I know of only two: this and the Vieux Carre).

• Reply to: Tribe of the Horned Heart   by   9 months 1 week ago

Finally, yes, something worthy of the vanilla superfine sugar I made a while back (figuring it's easy to turn it into a syrup in a moment). This is one of those things that is so good that you just kinda giggle at first sip. I think I made my syrup a bit on the saturated side, but whatever: those little flecks of vanilla bean floating on top are so lovely.

Also, maybe I'm boneheaded not to realize this sooner, but pouring over the soda holds the froth from shaking very well. I won't forget that trick. Thanks!

• Reply to: Black Lodge   by   9 months 1 week ago

This is very good. I think this will be a go to drink this fall.

For a variation I subbed a coffee liqueur I made for the Cynar. Kind of a Twin Peaks mash-up with the Dale Cooper. Not bad.

• Reply to: Dale Cooper   by   9 months 1 week ago

Tasty. I like to drop the maraschino and use a full 1/2 oz of Heering. But that's just me.

• Reply to: Refresh The Night   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this: removed extraneous information from the notes. Capitalized the name of the drink. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Hattori Hanzo   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

As fruity as Ozeki is, I'm sure the use of an unflavored sake in place of what's essentially a sake-based yuzu liqueur changes the flavor of the drink quite a bit. Glad you enjoyed it regardless.

• Reply to: Hattori Hanzo   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Although the closest I could come was St Cllement Rhum Agricole and Ozeki Dry, I thought this was a nice drink (I do have Senior Curaçao and Cocchi.) I also used Key limes, perhaps 1/2 oz would have sufficed.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Muddle 3-4 ripe raspberries along with standard ingredients for a nice summertime variation.

• Reply to: Perfect Storm   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Quite good. Made a second as a slight variation, swapping rye for bourbon, Wigle Landlocked Spiced (a spiced rum made with honey instead of sugar) for the honey syrup + pimiento dram, and orange for lemon.

• Reply to: The Crafty and Elusive Elk   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

I didn't have mezcal on hand so substituted Ardbeg Uigaedail to see what would happen. Can confirm that this is also delicious with single malt scotch.

• Reply to: The Deaf   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

Good lord, Stew, you've done it again. Delicious. Looking at it on paper, it looked good.....but I never would have guessed it would taste like this.

• Reply to: Calabura Flip   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

Really enjoyed this. The (relatively) huge amount of Angostura balances nicely with the S&C.  Used Jerry Thiomas bitters as garnish; not the best choice as they're the same colour as the rest of the drink!

• Reply to: Bye Bye Birdie   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

Good choice of flavors.  I'm skeptical when I see a recipe with equal amounts of each ingredient.  I tried this with 1 1/2 pear vodka and 1/2 of each other ingredient and liked it.  My suggestion:  Play with the proportions to suit your own taste.

• Reply to: Saffron and Bitter Orange Martini   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this: Capitalized the name of the drink. Cleaned up the notes section quite a bit - added Gabriel Boudier Saffron as a brand of gin. Corrected Dolin entry to Blanc Vermouth. Cleaned up the instructions - removed the recap of the drink. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   10 months 17 hours ago

I liked the lingering bitterness from the punt e mes. Smith n cross funk is mellowed out by 2 oz of vermouth. Tasty session cocktail. Kj found it a bit cloying...

• Reply to: Post Modern   by   10 months 2 days ago

Typo. Thanks for catching!

• Reply to: Post Modern   by   10 months 2 days ago

Common sense and the source both have this drink shaken rather than stirred.

• Reply to: Fox Hunt   by   10 months 3 days ago

Curated this. There were two versions of this drink, and we're obviously going to correct my version to Kyle's. I've merged them. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Severus Snape   by   10 months 3 days ago

Curated this slightly - created new ingredient: Old Grand Dad 100 and removed corresponding note. Removed extraneous note from the Dolin. Thanks,  Zachary