• Reply to: Campari Swizzle   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

I sub'd Punt e Mes 3:1 with (rather oxidized) red wine for the chinato to good effect. Sensational cocktail.

• Reply to: Trick Dog's Scorpio   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Updated with proper recipe.

• Reply to: Shattered Glasser   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Name updated from "Airbag" to how it appears in the Death & Co book, a nod to Avery Glasser, who inspired the drink.

• Reply to: Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

What if you're in the southern hemisphere?

PDT Cocktail uses the same recipe (mostly) except for upping the Cherry Heering to 1/2 oz (1 Tbl or 3 tsp).

I also like adding a dash of bitters, in particular The Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas bitters.

• Reply to: Paloma   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

We go both ways on this one, depending on what we have on hand

2 oz Blanco tequila
    2 oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice
    ½ oz Agave Nectar
    1½ oz Club soda

OR

2 oz Blanco tequila
    3½ oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice

• Reply to: Stinger   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

I usually use a 3-to-1 ratio of cognac to Crème de Menthe, such as 2 1/4 oz Cognac to 3/4 oz of Crème de Menthe.

• Reply to: I Am... I Said   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

I feel like this would be quite refreshing on a hot August night.

• Reply to: Maple Old Fashioned   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

I make a variation of this with Cornelius Applejack, which is aged in ex-bourbon barrels lending it more of a whiskey profile than a brandy one. Works really well with the maple syrup.

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

That's very close to the recipe I use:

1 oz Jamaican dark rum (Apple Estate V/X or Reserve or 12 yr OR Smith & Cross)
    1 oz Rhum agricole (at least somewhat aged)
    1 oz Lime juice
    1⁄2 oz Curacao (Creole Shrubb OR Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao)
    1⁄2 oz Orgeat
    1 tsp Simple syrup (made from turbinado or other raw/unrefined sugar, if possible)
    1 spg Mint (as garnish)

Optional: 1⁄2 oz float of high-proof dark rum

A touch more lime juice, more orgeat, and less sugar syrup than the posted recipe, with an optional high-proof float.

• Reply to: Attorney Privilege   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

Used Hella bitters instead of Angostura. If it works for an Old Fashioned...?

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 4 weeks ago

The source you can use is Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app. I know that the recipe in the app calls for shaking all ingredients, including the Islay scotch, but I've had this drink at Milk&Honey and they definitely use it as a float. It's also garnished with a candied or fresh piece of ginger. Thanks!

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 4 weeks ago

Fransos,

Do you have a source for that? If so, I can rewrite the drink, but considering it's a major shift, I'd like to be able to link to something.

Zachary

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 4 weeks ago

It must be said that the sweetener spec in the original is a bit different, and this is crucial for making this drink as it was intended to be. It's supposed to be a sweetened ginger juice and honey syrup(3:1 honey to water) combined in equal parts(3/8 oz of each) to make a 3/4 oz of sweet. The sweetened ginger juice is 4 parts fresh ginger juice to 3 parts granulated white sugar, stirred to make a syrup. The Islay scotch shall be used as a float on top to give a smoky nose and should not be shaken with the rest of the ingredients. The idea is to give the impression of a smoky drink, but when you sip it it's actually more mellow.

• Reply to: Oaxaca Old Fashioned   by   8 months 4 weeks ago

So they list it without mole bitters? I don't have the book...

• Reply to: Gypsy Cocktail   by   9 months 14 hours ago

Made this and thought it was disgusting--too sweet and no complexity. Added maybe a little less than an ounce of bourbon to one and rye to the other and it was actually pretty good.

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   9 months 19 hours ago

A party hit! Just the right amount of bitter from the campari. I subbed out the curaçao with grand marnier.

• Reply to: Rusty Nail   by   9 months 1 day ago

I reduced the scotch from 2-1/2 to 2 oz to make a more reasonably-sized drink. Robert Hess calls for 1-1/2, but I think that works for a bar where the amount of spirit is controlled. 2-1/2 oz into the mixing glass should be sufficient. I do like the idea of a lemon twist to accent the honey in the Drambuie and a dash of Angostura for complexity.

• Reply to: Rusty Nail   by   9 months 1 day ago

Dave Stolz's recipe (which is 2 oz Scotch and 1/2 oz Drambuie) calls for including a wide lemon peel and one dash of Angostura bitters. Muddle the lemon zest, Drambuie, and bitters to express the lemon oil. Add a large ice chunk or two to three ice cubes then add the Scotch. Stir briskly to blend and chill.

Very nice.

• Reply to: Blood & Famine   by   9 months 2 days ago

such a good name

• Reply to: Red Ant   by   9 months 2 days ago

I fixed the year and the syrup. Thanks for the catch!

Zachary

• Reply to: Red Ant   by   9 months 3 days ago

According to the Death&Co cocktail book this cocktail also calls for 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon bark syrup. The year of creation is set to 2011.

• Reply to: Existential Hero   by   9 months 4 days ago

Works nicely with Clement Creole Shrub for the orange liqueur.

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   9 months 5 days ago

The Strega adds an interesting element to essentially a Black Manhattan. I might add some dry vermouth for sugar balance. Nice overall.

• Reply to: The Wall Street Journalist   by   9 months 6 days ago

You're right. It was one of the drinks in the "5 of the Best Manhattan Variations" picture that you could glide over and it would brnig it up. A shame. Nice drink.