• Ten Month Anniversary   28 weeks 6 days ago

Very nice Campari sour.

I was tempted to try a Mescal float. Maybe next time.

• The Crafty and Elusive Elk   28 weeks 6 days ago

After getting into cocktails about six months ago, and keeping a log of everything I made, I wanted something special for my 100th drink.

The Crafty and Elusive Elk has an intriguing name and an exotic ingredient that I've never used before. Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Del Maguey Vida mezcal specifically for this (couldn't find Sombra).

I was not disappointed.

I'm craving another now.

• Skeleton Key   29 weeks 13 hours ago

Tasty

• Jungle Bird   29 weeks 1 day ago

A slight recipe tweak developed by Giuseppe Gonzalez of Painkiller (NYC) and that can be currently found on the menu at Milk & Honey NYC (thanks to head barman Theo Lieberman), has a dash more Campari (.75) and much less pineapple juice (.5) -- making rum and Campari the dominant flavours, a more bitter and alcoholic drink (also heavily reliant on the quality of the pineapple juice). It's the best variation I've tasted. This NYT piece explains it.

• Armistice   29 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice, dry-ish cocktail. A nice alternative to a Red Hook. I did not find 1/4 oz of each liqueur excessive. Lovely.

• The Hoskins Cocktail   29 weeks 2 days ago

made this with CioCiaro in place of the Amer Picon, and it is delicious - anything with CioCiaro is delicious!

• Fourth Regiment   29 weeks 3 days ago

also nice with Peychaud's bitters instead of angosturra

• Stocking a Better Bar   29 weeks 4 days ago

@bza - I like your article too. One way to control bottle count creep is to make yourself finish up a bottle that you took a chance on and didn't love before you take a chance on some other bottle. I suck at this, however.

• Stocking a Better Bar   29 weeks 6 days ago

I had it made by the same people who made my bar. I would think that any custom cabinetmaker/woodworker could do it for you - just make it a bit more than 2x as deep as your widest bitters bottle.

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   29 weeks 6 days ago

Where did you get the tray for the bitters on the bar top? I'd love one exactly like that for our expanding collection. Thanks!

• Father Tai'm   29 weeks 6 days ago

First thing I made on buying a bottle of Frangelico. I like it - the hazelnut and orange is a surprising combination. Will definitely make again.

• Corpse Reviver #2   29 weeks 6 days ago

It's good with Plymouth, even better with Bols Genever.

• Spring Cleaning   30 weeks 1 day ago

good catch, yes, its effects were affecting me this morning

• Spring Cleaning   30 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this - changed 45 cl to 45 ml, unless 15 ounces of pisco is appropriate.

Zachary

• Heisenberg's Blue Sky   30 weeks 2 days ago

Looking forward to trying one (oh, who am I kidding, several) this summer...

• Wander Back   30 weeks 3 days ago

I was stunned by how good this was, used Martini and Rossi. Not an intuitive match to me but I'm an amateur.

• Fernet Me Not   30 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks. I submitted this on my phone so I was having some issues with the drag down bars.

• Shaka   30 weeks 6 days ago

Nice flavor and the Okolehao stands out on the finish. Used fresh limes of the tree and had some lilikoi on the vine for passion fruit juice.

• Fernet Me Not   30 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this - changed maraschino cherry syrup to Maraschino liqueur, as per the picture. Sangue Morlacco is their cherry liqueur. Removed "fresh juice" from the lime... we assume fresh juices, etc...

Zachary

• Death & Taxes   30 weeks 6 days ago

Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

• Stocking a Better Bar   31 weeks 1 day ago

I like your recommendations, especially the Weller 12. And while I agree that there are better things out there than Brizard's Apry and white creme de cacao, the TF is vanilla heavy and shows through in drinks, and I figure that it's probably easier to find Apry than Albicocca (I've never seen a bottle, but I'd love to try it) or R&W (which is good stuff).

Zachary

• Stocking a Better Bar   31 weeks 1 day ago

I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and passed one tiny-town liquor store after another. I had to keep kicking myself for not scheduling enough time to stop and explore. Seeing this article made me kick myself again. ;)

And, since you kinda asked for it, my 2 cents on recommended ingredients: for a standard-proof bourbon, I tend to fall back on Evan Williams 1783 or (as a wheated option) W.L. Weller 12 Year (or Special Reserve)... Also, regarding apricot and chocolate liqueurs... The Brizard stuff is okay, but a few better options are now both reasonably priced and fairly widely available. Rothman & Winter Apricot (and Peach, for that matter) seems pretty ubiquitous in both bars and liquor stores these days; personally, I prefer Luxardo Albicocca. Both are made the "proper" way, with apricot pits/kernels, and are around the same price. For chocolate, I can't recommend Tempus Fugit's Creme de Caçao highly enough. Rich and decadent, with a touch of vanilla. Sooo good.

• Stocking a Better Bar   31 weeks 1 day ago

This is the advanced course to the beginner's steps that I wrote on my own site:

But that advice obviously isn't for anyone who frequents this site. It's sad how intimidated people are by putting together a decent home bar, so stuff like this is so helpful - I know I would have loved an article like this when I was beginning my own bar!

• Williwaw Swizzle   31 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks Zachary!

• Nerina   31 weeks 3 days ago

Delicious. I added a dash of wormwood bitters to offset the sweet Meletti a bit. Really good.