• Reply to: Herbal Sour   by   9 months 1 day ago

I increased the whiskey to 1.5 oz. , decreased the lemon juice and herbal simple syrup to .75 oz. each.

• Reply to: Paper Flower   by   9 months 3 days ago

Zachary,

Hedgetrimmer is my preference, though I haven't had a chance to experiment with Gun Club, yet.

• Reply to: Fifty-First State   by   9 months 3 days ago

Yes, way to make a tribute to Puerto Rico with St. Lucian rum, Cienfuegos team. I had other nits to pick with the book but that one's so obvious...

• Reply to: Fifty-First State   by   9 months 3 days ago

Sooo, we're annexing St Lucia?

• Reply to: Sherry Cobbler   by   9 months 5 days ago

Curated this. There was a hasty version imported at the dawn of KC time and one posted last night that was effectively the same as this drink, so I merged them both into this, with proper source citations. Want to do Fino + lemon + honey syrup? Sure. Amontillado + prune syrup spiked with Armagnac + orange? You betcha. You can even use a sweet Sherry like Moscatel here, though I'd drop the sugar entirely and add enough acid for balance. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Evidence   by   9 months 5 days ago

Curated this. Set 1 part = 1/2 ounce and updated measurements. Added date as per cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   9 months 5 days ago

The original poster would like help tracking down the source of this drink. There are a lot of cocktails called this, but most look like they're tequila based. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   9 months 5 days ago

I merged this with a newly posted version. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: One Night in Bucharest (O Noapte in Bucuresti)   by   9 months 6 days ago

Curated this slightly: changed "plum eau de vie" to Slivovitz as per the author's note. Changed "plum bitters" to Fee Brothers Plum. I tried to avoid adding the ingredient "palinka" because it can refer to many types of fruit brandy.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Coquito (Simple)   by   9 months 1 week ago

This is delicious. I assumed the creator meant 3/4 oz of Planation 5 and not the 1 1/4 oz shown in the notes, which would require the drink have 2 oz of rum.

• Reply to: John the Baptist   by   9 months 1 week ago

Interesting flavors arranged inventively, but for me at least, too sweet to work as a punch or grog, and too big to work as a dessert drink.

• Reply to: The Grapefruit Never Lies   by   9 months 1 week ago

EDIT: Thanks for the fix!

• Reply to: Goodbye Marie   by   9 months 1 week ago

Updated this with a response from the creator - he prefers Fee's Whisky Barrel Aged or their Old Fashioned.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Paper Flower   by   9 months 1 week ago

Katie,

Which of the Sun Liquor gins do you prefer here? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: American Beauty   by   9 months 1 week ago

It is a bit sweet as written but using just squeezed fresh OJ, homemade grendadine and tawny port moderates the sweetness to a good degree.

• Reply to: The Broken Spur   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Yes, this one is a keeper.  I accidentally used a dusting of nutmeg instead of ginger one time I was making one of these, and I think it is nicer than the ginger.

• Reply to: The Broken Spur   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Kinda surprised at how much I dig this. The ingredients are not odd at all, but, I dunno, I guess I didn't expect them to come together like they do. It'll be in rotation for when I have yolks to use up.

• Reply to: Final Ward   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

User kscheibner suggest Yellow Chartreuse and general "whiskey" as The Final Word.

• Reply to: American Beauty   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - This appears in Embury and in the Savoy. It has the feel of a Prohibition-era drink: sweet, with a lot of orange juice. I can't wrap my brain around OJ, and Port and creme de menthe...  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Corpse Defiler #666   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

This is a nice drink, and it deserves a nicer name!

• Reply to: You Only Live Twice   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Although I forgot the absinthe rinse, I really enjoyed this drink. I used Senior's white Curacao, which I like, and Old Overholt Rye, which I don't like as much as Bulleit's.  But I would say that this drink is my favorite of the 4 or 5 similar recipes I tried out over the weekend (Fernetaboutit, Corpse Defiler 666, Bitter Apricot, Death is not the End).

• Reply to: Fernetaboutit   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

This is a nice drink.  Over the weekend, I made a Fernetaboutit, Death is not the End, Corpse Defiler 666, Bitter Apricot, and a You Only Live Twice.  I was looking for ways to use Bonal Gentiane Quina, at first.  This drink is a good digestif, I will surely make it again.

• Reply to: Death Is Not The End   by   9 months 2 weeks ago

Based on the recipe, I made one of these with Liber's Pineapple Gum Syrup, rather than the pineapple juice discussed in several of the comments.  I thought I was a very nice after-dinner drink, with the Fernet herbals winning out over the Chartreuse.

• Reply to: The Sanny   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

A little too sweet.

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   9 months 3 weeks ago

Rafa,

Got it. As an aside, this is why it's so important to properly cite the creator, year and location a drink was first made. Imagine if people took good notes back pre-Prohibition. We'd know a lot more about cocktails today than we do.  Thanks,  Zachary