• Indian Summer Cooler   21 weeks 2 days ago

Dreizhen,

Thanks for the input! I wanted to make this as a cooler (hence so much soda water). I've made it w/o the soda and everything comes up roses (speaking of which, I've got some Four Roses staring me in the face..). I'll fire another one (or three) up this weekend with different bourbon/rum levels.

• Georgita   21 weeks 2 days ago

Sounds great! Definitely going to try this as well as substituting Nolet's for the tequila.

• Alto Cucina   21 weeks 3 days ago

Very nice! I used Famous Grouse that I had on hand and it worked well (will have to try with Balvenie). I also tried a version with 1.5 oz of the Grouse, everything else remaining unchanged, and it actually seemed to bump up the presence of all the ingredients and increase the depth along with the extra boozy bonus. Someone should try this with the Balvenie 15 and see if it has the same effect.

• Keyser Soze   21 weeks 3 days ago

Ghost Pepper Syrup

WEARING GLOVES, coarsely chop 1/4 oz. dried ghost peppers. Add them to 2L of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.* Strain the peppers out and measure how much water you have. Add an equal amount of white sugar and stir until dissolved. Bottle. Remove gloves.

*You'll want to open the windows, turn on a fan, and leave the room.

• Georgita   21 weeks 5 days ago

I tried it with Art in the Age Rhubarb Tea, which was mildly successful. I'd like to try it with apricot or pear liqueur next.

• Georgita   21 weeks 6 days ago

I think I'm going to start serving this one at parties—delicious and accessible enough for anyone, but delicious interesting enough for me and my cocktail nerd friends.

• Mint Julep with Brown Sugar Foam   22 weeks 2 days ago

Moderated slightly to improve instructions and add the garnish to the ingredients.

• Nasturtium   22 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this a bit - I had it today at Clyde: Changed Dolin Dry to Dolin Blanc. Removed the optional Suze sub for Bonal - they're not substitutable. Updated creator information and year.

It's a nice drink - definitely on the sweeter side, but there's a clever vanilla accord that builds in the midpalate.

Zachary

• Bourbon Crusta   22 weeks 3 days ago

Thomas' recipe clearly calls for placing a lemon peel "peeled like an apple" into a "red wine glass" with a sugared rim.

• Bourbon Crusta   22 weeks 3 days ago

I updated the instruction to include a sugared rim as per Robert Hess and Ted Haigh. I think you are saying that originally the peel itself was crusted. Do you have a reference for that?

• Original Pisco Sour   22 weeks 4 days ago

Curated this slightly. Added garnish to the ingredients. Cleaned up the "creator" attribution. Added date as 1920 (which is around 90 years ago - see the other Pisco Sour in KC). Changed drink from Original Creation to Unknown.

A few questions - would a 1920's era Victor Morris have had a blender to mix this drink? Can you clarify the step after the blending? It sounds like the intent is to shake the blended ingredients over ice for 10 seconds, then strain into a glass.

Zachary

• El Tamarindo   22 weeks 4 days ago

Curated this. H/T to Rafa above. Removed Jarritos as a brand of agua de tamarindo.. it's a tamarind flavored soda, not what the recipe calls for. Added garnish. Transcribed agua de tamarindo recipe from the link cited. Corrected spelling of the drink.

Zachary

• El Tamarindo   22 weeks 4 days ago

Minor correction: it's tamarindo, not tamerindo. :-)

The original also calls for homemade agua de tamarindo, not the Jarritos version.

And here's the link: http://12bottlebar.com/2013/05/el-tamarindo/

• Bourbon Crusta   22 weeks 5 days ago

The Crusta was called a Crusta because of the sugar crusted citrus peel rim that rested just above the rim of a stemmed and widely fluted glass. The designation of cocktail is more dependent on the glassware and rim than the variation of base spirit. Also, lemon juice and an orange liquor seem to be a common theme among Crustas in general. Although originally done with brandy, bourbon and rye whiskey are more often becoming base for the modern palate.

• The Dry Season   23 weeks 12 hours ago

Amazed by the perfect balance of this recipe. VERY well done IMHO.

• Liquid Swords   23 weeks 1 day ago

Very enjoyable. I like the Campari and rye combo. Using Campari instead of Aperol helped reduce sweetness. Thanks for posting-this one's a keeper

• Alaska Forest   23 weeks 1 day ago

I'm under the weather with something called "para-influenza," which apparently is a legal term for "hatin' life," and this drink is treating me just right.

• Grounds For Divorce   23 weeks 2 days ago

Or sub Cappelletti for Campari.

• Grounds For Divorce   23 weeks 2 days ago

How about substituting Gran Classico for the Campari?

• Santa Rosa   23 weeks 3 days ago

Thank you, Erizzle (let the cocktail world at large note that Mr. Witz prefers to go by Erizzle). I've updated accordingly. A reminder that I need to get on Instagram (ugh) where you are by all accounts a pro-follow.

• Santa Rosa   23 weeks 3 days ago

I've solved the mystery. The restaurant replied to my photo on Instagram and said that they use Combier peche. So this was an instance of whoever wrote the recipe card writing it incorrectly (Combier calls their product CRÈME DE PÊCHE DE VIGNE and the person transcribing the recipe wrote it as "vin de peche"). I imagine the restaurant staff probably write a few hundred of these recipe cards by hand so an incorrect transcription here and there is to be expected.

That said, actual "vin de peche" sounds interesting, indeed.

• Santa Rosa   23 weeks 3 days ago

That seems like it would work well.

• Santa Rosa   23 weeks 3 days ago

That stuff used to be called persico, but peach leaves (as well as pits) are toxic, and dangerous to infuse into alcohol. Maybe half and half white wine and peach liqueur?

Zachary

• Alaska Cocktail (aka Emerald Martini)   23 weeks 3 days ago
  • Saveur Kiss   23 weeks 4 days ago

1: Pit cherries
    2: Combine the water and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar; keep hot
    3: Stuff as many cherries as you can into each jar; ~16-20 cherries in each 250 mL jar. Fill to 2 cm below the rim
    4: Add vanilla bean
    5: Fill each jar with the hot syrup, stopping 1 cm from the rim of the jar. With a clean, hot, wet cloth, wipe the rims of the jars and place the sealers and lids on top. Tighten with your hands
    6: Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes
    7: Remove from the water bath, let cool, and listen for the pops. To let the full flavors develop let the jars rest a few weeks.