• Cherry Russell   24 weeks 2 days ago

Glad you liked it! Your substitution seems both appropriate and delicious in its own right... The gin/cognac combo felt a little weird "on paper," but after having some success with this drink, it's something I've been meaning to explore further.

• Carried Away Down Mexico Way   24 weeks 3 days ago

Yum. Go easy on the kümmel.

• Roses in the Snow   24 weeks 3 days ago

Hendrick's is definitely a good substitute, though Val's is even more cucumber-intensive. And the rosewater gave me pause as well; I thought maybe she was using a particularly dilute example, but the brand she links to is as intense as any.

• Roses in the Snow   24 weeks 3 days ago

That's a whole lotta rosewater - I'm wondering how it doesn't come across like your grandmother's washed your mouth out with soap. I think that Hendricks might be a good sub for the gin if you can't find Uncle Val's.

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   24 weeks 4 days ago

Zachary,

The strength is straight out of Jerry Thomas (see here: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/mississippi-punch-drink-recipe , and note that Thomas called for two parts Cognac to one part each rum and bourbon, vs Willett's equal parts sour recipe), and implies to me that this is no punch for polite company, but rather 19th Century jungle juice. As for the size, I agree.

• Mississippi Sour   24 weeks 4 days ago

Rafa,

I saw the optional flag at the link. What do you make of her punch recipe there? It seems awfully small (54 ounces in a 256 oz punchbowl) and strong (about 48 proof).

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   24 weeks 4 days ago

I marked the egg white as optional because the source for this drink did. I generally go with egg whites in sours unless they're certain fizzes (where the carbonic acid and bubbles neutralize the acidity somewhat, through magic) or I don't feel like cracking open an egg.

• Mississippi Sour   24 weeks 4 days ago

The latest CDC estimates are that out of 45.5 billion non-pasteurized eggs produced each year in the US, 2.2 million of them are infected with salmonella, which is a rate of .000048, or 1 in 20681. At the average consumption rate, this is about 1 contaminated egg every 84 years.

Unless you're very young (in which case, you can't read this and shouldn't be drinking anyway), very old, or immune compromised, drinking a raw egg white probably won't hurt you. You've got a much better chance of getting salmonella from "pooled eggs" in restaurants - think running a case of eggs through a paint shaker and straining out the shells - or chickens, where it occurs in 1 out of every 250 of them.

Besides, egg whites aren't really optional in drinks that call for them. They texturize cocktails, and reduce the perception of acidity without additional sugar. I'd cut the acidity in half if you're not going to use them.

Zachary

• Mississippi Sour   24 weeks 4 days ago

I like the part where the egg white is optional. I guess those who use it in the drink can call it a health drink.
    Either way, this looks amazing and something that I should try out.

If you love, and remember, the children's stories that we were all taught as children then you are sure to love Piggy Fortunes. Take some time to try it out for free at the new website of shang restaurant or if you want to just jump right in and play for real money, then visit any Microgaming casino that offers Piggy Fortunes to see if you can win your share of the jackpots that are available. As always, please gamble responsibly by not wagering more than you can afford to lose and don't play for a longer period of time than what you can legitimately afford to spend. Playing the pokies is something to be enjoyed for years so have fun and enjoy Piggy Fortunes.

• Cherry Russell   24 weeks 4 days ago

I had just made some tart red cherry syrup and was looking for cocktail ideas when I came across the "Cherry Russell". Only thing was I was all out of Cocchi Americano, so I subbed in Dolin Dry vermouth and added 2 tiny drops of gentian extract to make up for the difference in bitterness. Works great! The sweet/tart syrup blends nicely with the cognac which together plays well off the light and herbal gin and vermouth, with those little drops of gentian bringing in an almost intangible wispper of bitterness.

• Pleasure and Pain   24 weeks 5 days ago

I subbed my own homemade nocino for the Nux Alpina and am experiencing something very much like the way the rubber soles of new sneakers smell.

• A Long Day   24 weeks 6 days ago

Really nice, well-balanced cocktail. Only had Cazadores reposado around, but it played nicely.

• Teenage Riot   25 weeks 2 days ago

Just had this again at Flatiron Lounge. What a drink. The spice of the rye and vermouth create a Bénédictine-like effect and the Amontilado adds a savory chocolate finish. Delicious front to back.

• Clover Club   25 weeks 3 days ago

I made this both ways tonight, and it definitely needs the dry vermouth. I also like the 6:3:3:1 ratio. Interestingly, the raspberry + lemon makes pink grapefruit in the same way the Jasmine does with Campari + lemon.

Zachary

• Harvest Moon   25 weeks 3 days ago

Quite interesting. Well done, complex. Made with Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Apple-ation Davis Family apple brandy (Sonoma). A little hot, perhaps because of the 108 proof Rare Breed. Potent.

• The Thunderdome   25 weeks 3 days ago

Good, but Fernet-y. Must be in the mood for Fernet. Made with Michter's and smoked ice cube. A good intro to Fernet Branca as the flavor profile is still the most prominent, but more subdued. If some one said "Never had it, would like to try it." I'd make them this.

• Hemingway Daiquiri   25 weeks 3 days ago

Holy f**k Dan. You need to give this drink a name. I haven't made the original Hemingway yet, but it's going to be hard to convince me it's better than your version here. It's worth anyone buying W&N just to make this.

• Vieux Carré   25 weeks 3 days ago

I've been experimenting with different combos, looking to make a batch to put into a small (2 litre) charred oak keg for aging. My current combo consists of Old Overholt rye, Carpano Antica, Couvoisier VS, with the requisite herbals and bitters. Tonight, I tried a version using "house bitters" my wife brewed up (recipe courtesy of Brad Parson's "Bitters" book)...they're a little more earthy, dark, and less spicy than Angostura, and I think it allows the Benedictine's herbalness to cut through a bit. I also err on the shy side of the Benedictine and vermouth, preferring a little more bite to my drink. I think I'm getting close...just finished the first one, and I'm going to make a second, but using a stronger rye (Redemption? Don't know...wish I had my trusty handle of Beam Rye, but it disappeared during the holidays...).

Love this site...keep drinking, my friends.

• The Margarita, or An Earthy Mystery   25 weeks 3 days ago

...partially.

The martini IS the most abused cocktail. If I see one more chocolate syrup and whip cream laced dusted with cinnamon sugar concoction called a martini I'ma gonna go all postal and slip some ghost pepper bitters into it whilst the b**** isn't looking!

BUT, I will not diss someone who prefers vodka over gin. That's what make's UhmeriKKKa great!

• Lovecraft in Brooklyn   25 weeks 4 days ago

Randomly stumbled upon this drink and gave it another whirl and I still like it. I think Rittenhouse is the way to go (not sure why I went with Overholt initially) and I used PX sherry instead of madeira since my bottle of Blandy's is a bit past it's prime. Also skipped the rock and served it down. Not bad.

• Sunny Disposition   25 weeks 5 days ago

Rather tart with dry apricot brandy. Added a tsp of apricot liqueur and it needed more. Less lemon?

• Clover Club   25 weeks 5 days ago

I honestly have never made the version with dry vermouth before, but from the ratios that Cold Glass gives, it sounds fantastic. No objections from me.

• Clover Club   25 weeks 5 days ago

Does anyone have an issue if I fix this drink to this: http://cold-glass.com/2013/02/19/the-clover-club-cocktail/ - it's 1.5/.75/.75/.25. I can also add a note that it was originally 1:1:1:1 which is way too sweet for modern palates.

Zachary

• Boulevardier 12   25 weeks 5 days ago

Tried with Bulleit Rye, Punt e Mes, and Averna, with Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate Bitters and a navel orange peel, and it is divine! The Rye, PeM and Averna combo is dense and slightly spicy; a real winner.

• Clover Club   25 weeks 6 days ago

the PDT recipe: 2oz Plymouth Gin, 3/4oz lemon juice, 1/2oz simple syrup, 1 bsp Bonne Mamman raspberry preserves, and 1 egg white. Dry shake, shake w/ ice, and strain into a chilled egg coupe