• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #1   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Moderated this to reflect the Savoy Cocktail Book, replacing applejack (which is GNS + apple brandy) with the correct ingredient, apple brandy or Calvados.

Zachary

• Reply to: Bechdel Test   by   7 months 1 day ago

Awesome name!... Looks delicious, too.

• Reply to: Elephants Sometimes Forget   by   7 months 3 days ago

basically a Gilroy with slightly different ratios?

• Reply to: Frenchman Street   by   7 months 6 days ago

I'm trying this tonight. But ... a 'dash' of sugar?
    I guess I'll work it out!

• Reply to: Tequila Armada   by   7 months 1 week ago

Yes, fino sherry is best (not sweet) and is good with Carpano Blanco vermouth too.

• Reply to: Mountains, Rivers, and Desert   by   7 months 1 week ago

subbed out Meletti and an anitqua Carpano vermouth with a smoky reposado. citrus and smoke on the nose with a complex combination of fennel and chocolate on the finish. quite sophisticated!

• Reply to: Mezcal Mule   by   7 months 1 week ago

Made this as follows:

1 1/2 oz Sombra
    3/4 oz lime juice
    1/2 oz BG Reynolds' passion fruit syrup
    1/2 oz ginger syrup
    2 muddled cuke slices
    Splash soda

Beautiful. Earthy, spicy, tart, smoky, flavorful.

• Reply to: 19th Century (Pegu Club)   by   7 months 1 week ago

Made with homemade cacao nib infusion and cocchi americano. I enjoyed the drink. It was sweet up front with some bourbon taste, then the sour from the lemon hit and there was a hint of chocolate in the finish. Would make again when I'm in the mood for something sweeter.

• Reply to: Pierre Rodriguez   by   7 months 1 week ago

I reconstructed this using El Buho mezcal and the level of 'woodsiness' went to another level. So, I went again without the Suze and upped the curucao to replace it and it was fantastic!

• Reply to: The Killing Floor   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Superb. Made with Punt e Mes. I added 1/2 oz dry vermouth to re-balance the sugar.

• Reply to: Juice of a Few Flowers   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

I like his paintings too--in fact I saw and enjoyed the exhibition mentioned in the link. I'm an art historian and I've actually done a fair amount of archival research on artists of that exact era, but never picked up a cocktail recipe before!

• Reply to: Juice of a Few Flowers   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Thanks. I've been reading a lot about this era and the Murphys in particular are full of great anecdotes and recipes (plus I adore Murphy's painting "Cocktail," which is my photo on this site).

• Reply to: Juice of a Few Flowers   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Cool find!

• Reply to: Banana Daq   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Credit where it's due, Rafa - created by Doctor Who, surely: http://www.diffordsguide.com/en/magazine/2013-11-19/3/doctor-who

• Reply to: Royal Bermuda Yacht Club   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Good but I found it a bit tart, cut it back to heavy 1/2 oz and found it to be better balanced

• Reply to: Cubed Old Fashioned   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

fantastic twist on a classic! subbed out the Appletons for Zaya 12 year, and used a Tesseron XO because that's all I had. Going to my favorite store to get some Remy becuase this one is going into rotation.

• Reply to: Rivington Punch   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Used finger lakes raspberry liqueur. Extremely light, fun and summery. My wife had three. Three!

• Reply to: Souracher   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Anyone have guidance on how to pronounce the name of this drink?
    Sur rahtch er?
    Soo rahsh ay?
    Sour Acre?

• Reply to: ...and he'll trace his path by the stars that blanket the sky.   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

This inspired a tasty, well spiced digestive: 1/2 oz each of falernum (homemade) and Averna, angostura and 1/4 oz fernet. Most tasty at room temp, no ice.

• Reply to: Grey Garden   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Is that 2 1/2 ounces of tea leaves or 2 1/2 ounces of brewed tea? The link is not very helpful.

Zachary

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Looks good. How's the St. George coffee liqueur?

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Not a huge coffee cocktail guy. I played with this a bit:

2 oz rye
    3/4 oz Campari
    3/8 oz Coffee liqueur (St George)
    3/8 oz dry vermouth
    3/8 oz Punt e Mes
    1 d mole bitters

I liked this very much.

• Reply to: Chaplin   by   8 months 3 hours ago

Made this tonight with Amaro Montenegro and it was delightful.

• Reply to: Dewey D.   by   8 months 1 day ago

Enjoyed. Don't overdo the Angostura and the orange twist is a must.

• Reply to: Summer of Sureau   by   8 months 6 days ago

Lacking the Boston bitters, I substituted Regan's. I found it too sweet, but improved by replacing the pineapple syrup with unsweetened juice.