• Waltz #2   19 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks Eric. I imagine it's tarter with St. Germain than with elderflower syrup, and some might like a barspoon of simple added.

• Waltz #2   19 weeks 4 days ago

Very nice. I made this with Blume Marillen apricot eau de vie and St-Germain instead of elderflower syrup and it came out quite well. It's bracingly tart but not overpowering; like a really fresh limeade that tingles the tongue and keeps urging that next sip. The more ethereal apricot and brandy elements linger delicately on the palate while the elderflower and lime do most of the heavy lifting. It's a nice combination of flavors, something well suited to summer. Garnished with a fancy lime twist because why the hell not.

• Let Me Draw You   19 weeks 4 days ago

Indeed I poached this one from you, Eric. Thanks for the corrections; it should all be good now. I'll be more attentive and also choose to blame it, in the fashion of you and Jamie Foxx, on the alcohol.

• Let Me Draw You   19 weeks 4 days ago

Another fine drink. Sam gave me this recipe back in November of 2012. According to him the Rothman & Winter Orchard Pear is used (I incorrectly typed "peach" when I posted this on Flickr at the time but I meant to type pear--I blame the alcohol for that mistake). Also if you're using the recipe that I posted there should be a half-ounce of Benedictine in this drink, too. Otherwise everything looks good.

• Pedro's Backpack   19 weeks 4 days ago

Good drink. This one was actually created by Alex Homans at Backbar, Sam was just kind enough to give me Alex's recipe.

• The Hard Sell   19 weeks 5 days ago

I've made this more frequently with 2 oz gin (usually City of London or Bombay) and .5 oz for the other ingredients for a drier, boozier drink that I think enhances the bitter and floral notes of the recipe.

• Réveillon Cocktail   20 weeks 17 hours ago

I followed Christina's advice and made it with 1/4 oz allspice and 1/2 oz vermouth (half Punt e Mes and half Antica Formula). Made this way it was good but dominated by the fruit from the spirits, especially at the sip, with the spice and wine from the vermouths and liqueur showing up mainly in the finish along with a sharp kick from the apple brandy. I used Laird's bonded rather than Calvados, which may have changed the drink's character. I liked it, but would probably cut back on the pear next time and try it with a mellower, oakier apple brandy.

• Grace Note   20 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this - removed "fresh" from the grapefruit juice. Cleaned up instructions to avoid copyright issues. Added creator and date attribution.

• The Last Wynd   20 weeks 1 day ago

Curated slightly - fixed creator and year and the note on the rum.

• Sencha Flip   20 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this. Cleaned up instructions to avoid copyright issues. Changed 1 ounce of egg white to 1 egg white, and specified a large egg. Added creator information. The cited link calls for sweetened green tea - about how much sweetener (and what kind) would be appropriate here?

Zachary

• Vakantie   20 weeks 1 day ago

Curated slightly - added Chartreuse rinse from the instructions.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   20 weeks 2 days ago

More orgeat less simple, and never ever use Smith & Cross. That stuff is crap. Don't take my word for it, take Ed Hamilton's.

• Roma 46   20 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks - yes, I wanted the ingredient to be "spiced and reduced apple cider" but didn't think that merited adding a new ingredient - hopefully folks will read the notes before they start mixing as it requires hours to reduce and cool the cider. I am thinking of trying it with cider syrup and spicing the demerara in a future iteration.

• Trick of the Tail   20 weeks 3 days ago

Just a thin slice about a 1/4" thick should do it and come through.

• Faux Stone Fence   20 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this a bit - Clarified the recipe, moved cider reduction instructions to the notes section. Removed "fresh" from lemon juice - we always assume juices, etc. are fresh.

• Harvest Time   20 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed "Pumpkin seasonal spirit" to "pumpkin liqueur" to accurately reflect the recipe at the link.

• Trick of the Tail   20 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this - added the apple and cinnamon from the instructions. How much apple is appropriate here?

Zachary

• Roma 46   20 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly - moved instructions for the cider reduction to the notes section. I'm guessing that the 1 ounce of cider is post-reduction?

Zachary

• Greenpoint   21 weeks 1 day ago

Accidental double post, so let me just say that this is a great drink. :-)

• Greenpoint   21 weeks 1 day ago

So there's a few variations of this one floating around, which makes sense, as it's arguably the second most popular and widespread of the contemporary riffs on the Brooklyn Cocktail, after the Red Hook. The one in Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app, the closest thing to an official Milk & Honey recipe book, is nearly identical to this one, except that it calls for regular sweet vermouth and two dashes of Ango rather than one. The one in Saveur, which the magazine seems to have gotten from McIlroy himself, calls for a full ounce of Punt e Mes and only a teaspoon of yellow Chartreuse, with a dash of Angostura and no orange bitters (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Greenpoint). These are all worthwhile variations, and it's hard to determine which one's the "correct" or original recipe. One thing that's sure, however, is that the drink's name should be spelled Greenpoint, after the Brooklyn neighborhood it's named for. :-)

• California Widow   21 weeks 1 day ago

Ha. That might be a site record.

Thanks for trying it! Re: Chartreuse, it took me months to balance the three liqueurs.

• California Widow   21 weeks 2 days ago

Also, this may be the fastest I've made a drink after being posted here... Couldn't have been more than an hour or 2... ;)

• California Widow   21 weeks 2 days ago

Awesome, Rafa... The Chartreuse is present, but so subtle here (not an easy task)... I chose Scrappy's Orange for the bitters (since I just got the bottle today). Can't wait to try it with other varieties.

• 2 Cups of Blood   21 weeks 2 days ago

Curated to add the missing agave syrup in the original source cocktail book, which is the second edition, known as Beta Cocktails.

• Topolobampo Cocktail   21 weeks 3 days ago

Yummy. just used regular tequila, though I wouldve liked something smokier. I rimmed glass with sugar as I don't favor salt rims -- sure it's good with salt though! sugar was prob a bit much :)