• Reply to: Wicker Sunrise   by   6 months 1 week ago

damn, that is interestingly tasty. (or tastily interesting?)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   6 months 1 week ago

Summer in a glass

• Reply to: Bourbon Milk Punch   by   6 months 1 week ago

Found this variation: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016276-bourbon-milk-punch

• 1 ¼ ounces bourbon
    • ½ ounce dark rum
    • 2 ounces milk (use cream or half-and-half for a richer drink)
    • ⅛ ounce vanilla extract
    • ½ ounce simple syrup (see note)
    • Dash of grated nutmeg

In a mixing glass three-quarters filled with ice, pour the bourbon, rum, milk or cream, vanilla and simple syrup. Shake vigorously until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass. Dust with nutmeg.

Very nice!

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   6 months 1 week ago

It's hard to measure dash of CdV and Maraschino liqueur. I prefer the 1/4 oz CdV, 1/3-1/2 oz Maraschino along w 1/2-3/4 oz lemon juice and 2 oz gin.

• Reply to: Don't Mind If I Do   by   6 months 1 week ago

Great Gin cocktail.

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   6 months 1 week ago

I thought the same when I saw the recipe (though it's worth noting that the quantity of simple is cut down here). If I get around to some A/B testing I'll report back!

(This also seems like something I'd stir rather than shake.)

• Reply to: Vice President   by   6 months 1 week ago

Really nice - here is a photo: https://flic.kr/p/HzBMug  - like the Campari notes, with a gentle touch of Mandarin and the sweet notes of rum underneath...

• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Looking at the proportions, I was worried that this would be too sweet, but of course I was wrong to worry, as this is magically delicious. The balance is perfect.

• Reply to: Oliveto   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Velvety smooth, a big hit among guests. 1/2 an egg white is enough (and this makes it easier if you're mixing two at once).

The result is quite a few ounces so use a larger coupe/cocktail glass or pour a splash for yourself. You definitely don't want to risk any overflow as the olive oil makes everything slippery and sticks around.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

A tasty variation I've seen called the Paper Mache subs cachaca and Averna for the bourbon and Nonino.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Tonight I tried a Perfect Manhattan with Bulleit Rye, Vermouth del Professore Rosso and Vermouth la Canellese along with one dash of Angostura and one dash of Peychaud's. Very nice, indeed.

• Reply to: Boulevardier (Cure version)   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I tried this drink using first the recipe as given, and then I used the recipe with the changes suggest by an unnamed person--substituting Bulleit Rye for the Rittenhouse 100 and Gran Classico for the Compari. My thoughts on the original and revised recipes are as follows: Both recipes were delicious and belong in the cocktail box of anybody who enjoys this kind of cocktail. However, I rated the original recipe as a 4.0 and the revised recipe as a 4.5. Why?

For my taste buds, the revised recipe resulted in a cocktail that was smoother more balanced. Using an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse 100 results in the rye overwhelming the other ingredients. However, many people like that standout rye taste, and the nice taste and inherent bitterness of Campari. For them, I recommend the original recipe.

Those who enjoy a mellow, smooth, and less bitter drink will prefer the revised recipe using Gran Classico and Bulleit rye. But regardless of which recipe is used, I wholeheartedly recommend this cocktail. Only one's taste preference should dictate the ingredients and recipe to be used.

• Reply to: Spare Parts   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly: moved the IPA syrup instructions to the notes section to avoid line breakage. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

delicious.  nice one.  where did it come from exactly?

• Reply to: All In   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

I like it.  Not sure about the instruction to discard the peel - certainly with Rittenhouse 100 as the rye there's no need to be delicate!

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Excellent cocktail. One of my recent favorites. Note: It's not good when you run out of Irish whiskey and try to sub in blended scotch.

• Reply to: Ce Acatl   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

A very tasty cocktail; sweet but not too sweet and slightly tart. All of the flavors blend together to make a cocktail that can easily become one's favorite. I did not include a dash of Luxardo Maraschino as suggested in a prior comment. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it can improve what is already a great drink. My fear is that the Luxardo might overwhelm the balance of flavors. But, keeping an open mind, I will try it. Who knows--maybe it can be fixed even though it's not broken!

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Rob,

I'm partial to the 114, which should be in everyone's cabinet. In summer, though, I like Bulleit's rye, which is fresh/green and flowery.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

A thoughtful read in re bourbon, perhaps my favorite spirit. But lest your story of super premium bourbon à la Pappy scare anyone off, good old BIB Old Grand Dad at its modest price point still exists, and as a bonded bourbon with noticeable spicy rye in its mashbill I declare it the most excellent and succulent bourbon there be. Just don't tell anyone it is that good, or it might be more difficult to buy.

• Reply to: The Petunia   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this. Added butterfly pea powder that the citation calls for and makes the drink weirdly blue-purple (like a Petunia). Added year estimate. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Last Word   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Substitute St. Germain for the Luxardo and you have 'La Lumiere'

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

The simple in this makes no sense to me. In a regular Toronto it is used because there is relatively little sugar in Fernet. But Cynar has lots of sugar. Might be better without added syrup.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Thanks.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - took the extraneous 'i' from Griotte. Added the club soda and estimated the amount. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Gold Rush   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Curated  this: per a user comment, I found the drink in the PDT book and changed rye to Elijah Craig (they call for the now non-existent 12 year), the honey syrup from 1/2 to 1 and the lemon juice from 1/2 to 3/4. Updated source cite, author and date. Thanks,  Zachary