• Vakantie   19 weeks 4 days ago

Curated slightly - added Chartreuse rinse from the instructions.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   19 weeks 5 days ago

More orgeat less simple, and never ever use Smith & Cross. That stuff is crap. Don't take my word for it, take Ed Hamilton's.

• Roma 46   19 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks - yes, I wanted the ingredient to be "spiced and reduced apple cider" but didn't think that merited adding a new ingredient - hopefully folks will read the notes before they start mixing as it requires hours to reduce and cool the cider. I am thinking of trying it with cider syrup and spicing the demerara in a future iteration.

• Trick of the Tail   20 weeks 4 min ago

Just a thin slice about a 1/4" thick should do it and come through.

• Faux Stone Fence   20 weeks 22 min ago

Curated this a bit - Clarified the recipe, moved cider reduction instructions to the notes section. Removed "fresh" from lemon juice - we always assume juices, etc. are fresh.

• Harvest Time   20 weeks 29 min ago

Curated this slightly - changed "Pumpkin seasonal spirit" to "pumpkin liqueur" to accurately reflect the recipe at the link.

• Trick of the Tail   20 weeks 32 min ago

Curated this - added the apple and cinnamon from the instructions. How much apple is appropriate here?

Zachary

• Roma 46   20 weeks 36 min ago

Curated this slightly - moved instructions for the cider reduction to the notes section. I'm guessing that the 1 ounce of cider is post-reduction?

Zachary

• Greenpoint   20 weeks 4 days ago

Accidental double post, so let me just say that this is a great drink. :-)

• Greenpoint   20 weeks 4 days ago

So there's a few variations of this one floating around, which makes sense, as it's arguably the second most popular and widespread of the contemporary riffs on the Brooklyn Cocktail, after the Red Hook. The one in Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app, the closest thing to an official Milk & Honey recipe book, is nearly identical to this one, except that it calls for regular sweet vermouth and two dashes of Ango rather than one. The one in Saveur, which the magazine seems to have gotten from McIlroy himself, calls for a full ounce of Punt e Mes and only a teaspoon of yellow Chartreuse, with a dash of Angostura and no orange bitters (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Greenpoint). These are all worthwhile variations, and it's hard to determine which one's the "correct" or original recipe. One thing that's sure, however, is that the drink's name should be spelled Greenpoint, after the Brooklyn neighborhood it's named for. :-)

• California Widow   20 weeks 5 days ago

Ha. That might be a site record.

Thanks for trying it! Re: Chartreuse, it took me months to balance the three liqueurs.

• California Widow   20 weeks 5 days ago

Also, this may be the fastest I've made a drink after being posted here... Couldn't have been more than an hour or 2... ;)

• California Widow   20 weeks 5 days ago

Awesome, Rafa... The Chartreuse is present, but so subtle here (not an easy task)... I chose Scrappy's Orange for the bitters (since I just got the bottle today). Can't wait to try it with other varieties.

• 2 Cups of Blood   20 weeks 5 days ago

Curated to add the missing agave syrup in the original source cocktail book, which is the second edition, known as Beta Cocktails.

• Topolobampo Cocktail   20 weeks 6 days ago

Yummy. just used regular tequila, though I wouldve liked something smokier. I rimmed glass with sugar as I don't favor salt rims -- sure it's good with salt though! sugar was prob a bit much :)

• Contour Line   20 weeks 6 days ago

This is a nice way to dry out Carpano Antica for sipping, but not a great showcase for the other ingredients, nor do the flavors coalesce into something new. Next time I'll try it with the sherry bumped up to 3/4 oz and a strong single malt rather than a blend.

• Alaska Forest   20 weeks 6 days ago

Just catching up with the site, and I appreciate your comments. Surprised you have that kinda eau de vie, it's not too common but man is it original and fun to use in weird drink formulas.
    It takes a strong man or woman to enjoy an Alaska Forest! Hope you follow @52martinis on Twitter too.

• Jekyll Island Iced Tea   21 weeks 16 hours ago

Based on our current inventory we used Marie Brizard Apry instead of the peach and it came out great.

• Yuletidal Wave   21 weeks 17 hours ago

The original article says it makes 10 servings, I changed to 20 for easier scaling - makes 20 drinks.

• Indian Summer Cooler   21 weeks 1 day ago

Dreizhen,

Thanks for the input! I wanted to make this as a cooler (hence so much soda water). I've made it w/o the soda and everything comes up roses (speaking of which, I've got some Four Roses staring me in the face..). I'll fire another one (or three) up this weekend with different bourbon/rum levels.

• Georgita   21 weeks 1 day ago

Sounds great! Definitely going to try this as well as substituting Nolet's for the tequila.

• Alto Cucina   21 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice! I used Famous Grouse that I had on hand and it worked well (will have to try with Balvenie). I also tried a version with 1.5 oz of the Grouse, everything else remaining unchanged, and it actually seemed to bump up the presence of all the ingredients and increase the depth along with the extra boozy bonus. Someone should try this with the Balvenie 15 and see if it has the same effect.

• Keyser Soze   21 weeks 2 days ago

Ghost Pepper Syrup

WEARING GLOVES, coarsely chop 1/4 oz. dried ghost peppers. Add them to 2L of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.* Strain the peppers out and measure how much water you have. Add an equal amount of white sugar and stir until dissolved. Bottle. Remove gloves.

*You'll want to open the windows, turn on a fan, and leave the room.

• Georgita   21 weeks 4 days ago

I tried it with Art in the Age Rhubarb Tea, which was mildly successful. I'd like to try it with apricot or pear liqueur next.

• Georgita   21 weeks 5 days ago

I think I'm going to start serving this one at parties—delicious and accessible enough for anyone, but delicious interesting enough for me and my cocktail nerd friends.