• Salvatore Daiquiri   25 weeks 1 day ago

Poor, a middle ground between Planters punch and Singapore sling...

• Yacht Club   25 weeks 1 day ago

Poor... nothing of new. A middle ground between Aviation and Tuxedo.

• Salvatore Daiquiri   25 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this slightly - Changed Smith & Cross to Jamaican rum.

Zachary

• Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   25 weeks 3 days ago

This is my overall favorite cocktail. I use 2 1/2 oz. Rye (Redemption is good), Punt e Mes, and 1/4 oz. Cherry Heering. Absinthe should be a rinse not stirred in. Leave a small pool in the bottom of the glass. A dash of aromatic bitters doesn't hurt it either.

Stirring counter-clockwise will ruin this one. ;-)

• Holland Razor Blade   25 weeks 4 days ago

This was great. I used a 2:1 demerara syrup and used about 1/3 oz. Nice lingering tingle from the cayenne.

• The Great Game   25 weeks 5 days ago

The bitters are probably less than necessary, but yeah, those WBAs (and regular Fee's Aromatic) are super heavy on the pie spice. I find the Scrappy's Aromatic have a unique peppery-cedar note... Also, yes, it is delicious with rye too! I started there, but dwindling supply led me to try it with gin, which I ended up liking a bit more. Plus, it conveniently filled the next slot in my "Sherlock" themed series of gin drinks... Thanks for trying it!

• The Great Game   25 weeks 6 days ago

Too much pie-spice for me, although I used Fee WBA. I'd probably skip both bitters next time. Might also be good with rye.

• Cancún Sazerac   25 weeks 6 days ago

Cleaned this up a bit - removed the note which insisted that the brand of Xabentun specified was a real brand... it broke the line pretty badly (and we trust you).

Zachary

• Flowering Fields   26 weeks 1 day ago

Just mixed one with Rittenhouse, 3/4 oz syrup, 1/2 oz green Chartreuse, 1 tsp Herbsaint. Really nice. Very sweet, but I like sweet. I will also give it five stars.

• The Dooce Cocktail   26 weeks 2 days ago

Agree on less Chartreuse. 0.75 worked nicely. Preferred with a spicier style Anejo ( I used Herradura). (4 Stars)

• Branca Menta Alexander (Homage a Plinio)   26 weeks 2 days ago

Excellent use of Branca Menta.

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   27 weeks 21 hours ago

Good catch y'all!

I rewrote the drink to Berry's standard, and cited him. I also created the Trader Vic version from the Bartender's Guide.

Zachary

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   27 weeks 1 day ago

More on the drink's history and varied recipes here: http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2012/02/13/tiki-drink-dr-funk/

• Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber)   27 weeks 1 day ago

Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic (1947) contains the following recipe:

Dr. Funk
    2.5 ounces dark Jamaica or Martinique Rum
    1 lime
    .5 oz lemon juice
    .25 oz grenadine
    .25 oz Pernod or Herbsaint
    1/4 tsp sugar

Shake, add lime shells, top with soda, garnish with fruit or geranium leaf.

• Lifes Rich Pageant   27 weeks 1 day ago

Glad you both liked it. Sorel is delicious and versatile and I can't wait to see what people do with it as it becomes widely available. Your girlfriend is awesome for getting a bottle into Texas.

• Pompeii   27 weeks 1 day ago

Unfortunately I'm not much of a madeira aficionado, in fact this is the first and only bottle I've ever tried. This is something called Broadbent Rainwater and picked it up on a whim after a lot of disappointing cocktails with Dubonet Rouge. I'm a big fan of Warre's Otima port which is very smooth, nutty, sweet and woody and this madeira immediately reminded me of Otima though not nearly as smooth and not quite as sweet.

I've been taking liberties with the Old Fashioned lately since stockpiling bitter (yes, those are scrappy's) and seeing a video from Jamie Boudreau making a wild version. Sweet, strong and bitter in relative proportion should pretty much do it. I'm thinking you can get sweet from something that tastes vibrant and complex like madeira, port, and any sweet liquor really, don't spend your sweet budget on simple or rich syrup. Rich syrup does a lot for the mouth feel with less volume. I've made this with a quarter oz of rich syrup and possibly enjoyed it a little more.

Tonight I swapped the Buffalo Trace with Bulliet Rye and added an additional dash of cardamom bitters (that rye is too sweet and needed to be cut) and built it like a traditional old fashioned and I'm finding it very enjoyable as well. The brandy I'm using is Presedente which is Mexican and hints lot of bourbon qualities, I've even put it to the pepsi challenge with bourbon fans who would swear it was bourbon.

More than you were asking, I know, but thanks for your interest. Have fun and let me know if you get a chance to try one!

• Añejo Highball   27 weeks 1 day ago

A great cocktail for summer

• Lifes Rich Pageant   27 weeks 2 days ago

So, because my girlfriend is the best Valentine ever, I am now in possession of what must be one of the first bottles of Sorel in the Dallas area. Holy sha-moley, that is some tasty juice!... Anyway, this was the first drink we tried, and we both loved it! Had to make a few minor last-minute adjustments, though: I was low on ice, so I served it up; and I realized too late that my last 2 lemons were dry and sad, so I subbed grapefruit peel (which worked quite nicely).

• Ellen's Fancy   27 weeks 3 days ago

This was delish!

• Earl Grey MarTEAni   27 weeks 3 days ago

I weighed 4 T at 17 g, using Earl Grey from Camellia's Tea Shop in London.

Curious that Saunders's original instructions don't involve dry shaking the egg white, but that's probably a good idea.

• Tango 'til They're Sore   27 weeks 4 days ago

Glad you liked it.

• Tango 'til They're Sore   27 weeks 4 days ago

Well this was just fantastic. I made i with bourbon instead of rye, because that's what my guest prefers, but I can see how the spice of the rye would elevate it further.

• Vesper   27 weeks 4 days ago

A very nice cocktail, sophisticated-tasting...and a great way to get soused quickly!

• Pompeii   27 weeks 5 days ago

Kyle,

What style of Madeira do you prefer here? I'd guess the bitters are Scrappy's?

Zachary

• Ginger spice   27 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed flavored vodka, Smirnoff to vodka, Smirnoff - generally, if you're doing the flavoring, it's better to put that in the notes field. Removed fresh squeezed from lemon juice - we assume you're using fresh stuff.

Oh, and as the proud owner of Scrappy's Cardamom, it's weapons grade stuff. 6 drops is going to blow out your drink.

Zachary