• Reply to: East India Trading Company   by   6 days 17 hours ago

Yeah, that East India Solera is relatively sweet - PX cut with some Amontillado would be better.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: East India Trading Company   by   6 days 18 hours ago

Subbed with amontillado, sans mole bitters; would not advise doing that

• Reply to: Negroni d'Or   by   1 week 8 hours ago

<br />A lovely drink, but even more so than one of my favorite cocktails, the traditional Negroni. Why so? The use of Gran Classico instead of Campari. Gran Classico gives a bitterness that is a hallmark of the Negroni, only less so. This is the cocktail of choice, I believe, for those who would like a less bitter Negroni-syle cocktail. But don't sell short the Dolin Blanco, which has a sweetness to it, but less than the sweet vermouth used in the traditional Negroni.

Consequently, the Negroni d'Or deserves a good gin, one wiith a nice bouquet. Tanqueray Ten, Beefeater 24, and Citadelle come to mind. Without the Campari and sweet vermouth, the gin is able to peek its head out a little more and make its presence known. This is truly a Negroni of gold!

• Reply to: Spuyten Duyvil   by   1 week 1 day ago

I like it, but a couple of points. This is a large drink - 4.25oz - well beyond my cocktail glasses. Is an Old Fashioned (or other) glass intended? And does 'no ice' mean 'not on the rocks' or 'room temperature'? Without dilution it might be closer to fitting in a glass, but a warm Manhattan doesn't seem right.

• Reply to: Oh, My Word   by   1 week 1 day ago

Punch has it as green Chartreuse. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Oh, My Word   by   1 week 1 day ago

Neither the recipe here nor in the NYT specifies whether to use green or yellow Chartreuse. The picture in the NYT would suggest yellow, but that is just a guess. Any one know?

• Reply to: Rube   by   1 week 3 days ago

Ha, that was me!

• Reply to: Bye Bye Birdie   by   1 week 3 days ago

Very nice.  Heavy on Maraschino; recommend 1.25 pear vodka.

• Reply to: Dead Man's Mule   by   1 week 3 days ago

Amazing combination. Too sweet for my taste as written though. I got back the orgeat to half an ounce and that was just right.

• Reply to: Nom de plume   by   1 week 3 days ago

Good, but as with so many drinks using St. Germain, it was too sweet. Cutting it down to only half an ounce gave a much nicer result.

• Reply to: Muletide   by   1 week 3 days ago

Curated this slightly. I took a guess at how much pale ale makes a "splash" - I'm calling it 1.5 ounces. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   1 week 4 days ago

This is VERY good and exceptionally complex. I love the funkiness of the rum coming through.

• Reply to: Rosita   by   1 week 4 days ago

I had this first at Brick & Mortar in Cambridge, Massachusetts (Misty Kalkofen's place) but it was mezcal instead of tequila and it was 1:1:1 mezcal, vermouth (perfect as here), and campari.

I make the mezcal version of this at home with Gran Classico instead of Campari and it is among my very favorite cocktails in this modified form.

• Reply to: Stovetop Challenge   by   1 week 5 days ago

I have tried three variations of Dubonnet Rouge and gin (including this one), and I've been disappointed in each. I've used Tanqueray Ten and Bombay Sapphire. Perhaps another brand of gin will produce better results.

I've come to the conclusion, however, that the combination of gin and Dubonnet Rouge just do not a good cocktail maketh. A three rating is the best I can give any of the gin and Dubonnet cocktails I've tried.

• Reply to: Amer Picon   by   1 week 6 days ago

Matt,

If I remember them correctly, you might want to stiffen the Picon Biere with some source of gentian to use it as a sub for Amer Picon. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Amer Picon   by   2 weeks 5 hours ago

I was on vacation in Australia and found a sole bottle of Picon Biére lying on the shelves in one of the local spirits shops in Sydney which I quickly grabbed and brought back. Can I use Picon Biére in cocktails (specifically Brooklyn) or is it just for use with beer? -Matt

• Reply to: Floral Explosion   by   2 weeks 5 hours ago

Cocktail came out a bit on the large size. I'd do 3/4oz of the pisco/chartreuse/suze instead of the full oz instead.

• Reply to: PS3   by   2 weeks 6 hours ago

Delicious with Tin Cup Colorado whiskey. I used a barspoon of Campari.

• Reply to: Aristocrat   by   2 weeks 12 hours ago

This drink caught me by surprise, mostly because--I think--I've been drinking and loving amaro-based drinks for the last month. The Aristocrat is decidedly different from those wonderful amari; it's sweeter and lighter in taste. I would drink the Aristocrat before dinner or on a lazy do-nothing afternoon.

There are several reasons why I like this drink: The greatest reason is the St. George terroir gin, which is exquisite to say the least. Its label reads like a who's who in the botanical world: "Douglas fir, California bay laurel, fennel, coastal sage, orris root, angelica root, juniper berries, and other profoundly aromatic botanical ingredients..." Pair a great gin with a top-shelf bianco vermouth by Dolin, and Cynar, plus subtle celery bitterrs, and you have a drink making you want another. So have it, and enjoy it!

In closing, I should add that those who like that amaro bitterness will like this drink because of the St. George gin in combination with the Cynar. If you want less bitterness, use a non-botanical gin such as Tanqueray Ten, Citadelle, or Megellen Blue. "The Aristocrat" is, in my opinion, a cocktail most people will enjoy.

• Reply to: The Italian Conquistador   by   2 weeks 12 hours ago

<br />Two Things:
    First, the drink. Ahhhhhh! The drink! Es muy bien! Mine, I suspect, was a little smoother and richer than it would have been had I used the ingredients as specified. Unfortunately (perhaps), I didn't have El Dorado 12 rum. The only El Dorado rum I had was El Dorado 15, which is a special reserve aged for 15 years. I could have used another rum, but El Dorado is a demera rum, quite different from non-demera rums. But that's another story. Also, the El Dorado 15 rum probably gave me a richer, sweeter, and smoother tasting drink than if I used the El Dorado 12 rum. Regardless, "The Italian Conquistador" is one of those truly unforgettable cocktails, especially after a great dinner.

Second, the name: I think it should be "The Conquistador," not "The Italian Conquistador." Why? Well, of all of its ingredients, only the Cynar comes from Italy. Gran Classico is from Switzerland, the Falernum is from Barbados, the El Dorado is from Guyana, and even my orange is a product of Mexico. That's why I suggest naming it simply "The Conquistador." Now, if the name is not changed, will the sky fall down, will the Earth stop spinning, will life as we know it come to an end? No. I'm simply expressing an opinion, which I know will not change things. And that is just fine with me because "The Italian Conquistador" is one helluva fine drink, which I rated at 4.5.

• Reply to: Gypsy Cocktail   by   2 weeks 22 hours ago

Made a 1/2 scale recipe of this one.  It is very sweet. Used two dashes Angostura.  It was pretty spicy, kind of reminded me of cinnamon cough syrup or something. It probably needs a little something to take some of the sweet edge off of it to be really good, but it was alright.  Might play around with it some more.

• Reply to: Unfinished Business   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

<br />I think a more apt name for "Unfinished Business" would be "Work in Progress." Maybe they mean the same. Regardless, the drink as presented I rate as 3.0. The taste was O.K., but there was no zip (please excuse the professional jargon). I added a dash of Burlesque bitters and a small amount of orange zest, and those two minor changes made a big difference, giving it the missing zip.

I'm going to make this cocktail again, but I'll use a different gin, either The Botanist or St. George's terroir gin. Both bring overtones that are lacking in Beefeater gin. I hope that as others try this cocktail, they'll offer their opinions on "Unfinished Business" and provide suggestions to improve it. It is a cocktail that truly has "Unfinished Business."

• Reply to: Brandy Milk Punch   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this. Rewrote this - it originally had more booze than dairy (2 oz brandy to 1.5 oz milk). I found a recipe from a Brennan's cookbook, and updated the drink to reflect what is probably a more traditional version of things. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

I curated this to conform with the newly cited link, which seems like it's closer to the actual recipe than the one we had.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 2 Cents   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Made this using the recipe from Mayahuel, as quoted in the comment above, and really liked it. Will make again.