• Faded Gentleman   2 weeks 19 hours ago

(sheepishly) Actually I use Beefeater and Laphroaig 10, although I did enjoy the Botanist. I'm not sure I got a ton of Islay out of it though.

• Faded Gentleman   2 weeks 1 day ago

The gin and Scotch work well together because they're made by the same people. Glad y'all have liked this.

Zachary

• Marconi Wireless   2 weeks 1 day ago

The variation we have tried is:

2 oz Applejack (or calvados)
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Cinzano
    1 ds Peychaud's bitters
    Lemon twist garnish

• Faded Gentleman   2 weeks 1 day ago

Challenging. I admit that I swapped the amounts of the Violette and Gran Classico. Austere and floral. The gin and Islay works better than it has any right to. Worth summoning the courage to try -- maybe even more than once.

• Faded Gentleman   2 weeks 2 days ago

This is an excellent and subtle cocktail that is still light and appealing to those often daunted by complex drinks. Personally, I prefer it with Creme Yvette as I find the Creme de Violette is a bit sweet for my tastes.

• White Negroni   2 weeks 2 days ago

The variations(s) we like best are:

2 parts gin (London dry-ish)
    1 part Suze OR Aveze OR Salers
    1 part Kina l'Avignon d'Or OR Bianco vermouth OR Cocchi Americano OR Lillet Blanc

Stir with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with a lemon peel.
    The different aperitifs make for nice variations.

• Penicillin   2 weeks 3 days ago

Dan, I've made one with Mezcal, I was thinking of putting it up but would take it down if it's too similar, is yours posted? If so, under what name, and if not, would you mind putting the build?

• The Slope   2 weeks 3 days ago

A nice variation is the Sunset Park, with dry vermouth rather than Punt e Mes.

• The Slope   2 weeks 5 days ago

Since I use Punt e Mes as my house sweet vermouth, this isn't THAT different from a regular Manhattan. Still, the apricot notes are very nice, and the large amount of rye achieves a nice sugar balance with the added liqueur. A welcome addition to the family of rye / aromatized wine family. Large, and hence a bit powerful.

• Vesper   2 weeks 5 days ago

Our preferred variation is:
    21⁄4 oz Gin
    3⁄4 oz Vodka
    1⁄2 oz Kina L'Avion D'Or OR Cocchi Americano
    1 twst Lemon zest (as garnish)

The current Lillet doesn't have the amount of quinine that it used to in the 1960s. These two substitutes, we think, make a better drink. One of these, you want to go climb a tree; two, you couldn't climb a tree if you had to.

• Mojito   2 weeks 6 days ago

I use the same rum:lime juice:simple syrup ratio as a daiquiri (2oz:1oz:1/2oz) and (lightly) muddle about eight mint leaves. I use 1 to 1.5 ounces of club soda -- don't want to water it down too much.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   2 weeks 6 days ago

That's very close to the recipe I use:

1 oz Jamaican dark rum (Apple Estate Reserve or 12 yr OR Smith & Cross)
    1 oz Rhum agricole (at least somewhat aged)
    1 oz Lime juice
    1⁄2 oz Curacao (Creole Shrubb OR Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao)
    1⁄2 oz Orgeat
    1 tsp Simple syrup (made from turbinado or other raw/unrefined sugar, if possible)
    1 spg Mint (as garnish)

Optional: 1⁄2 oz float of high-proof dark rum

A touch more lime juice, more orgeat, and less sugar syrup than the posted recipe, with an optional high-proof float.

• Henry "Box" Brown   2 weeks 6 days ago

Possibly my favorite cocktail. A well-aged rum is essential; others work, Appleton Estate 12, there's an El Dorado 12 I've found that works well too. Last time I was at Hop Sing I think they were using a Gosling Family reserve.

Finding nice grapes and juicing them is the only real reason I don't make this all the time.

• Margarita   2 weeks 6 days ago

My preferred recipe
    2.0 oz Silver/blanco tequila (OR 1.5 oz tequila and 0.5 oz mezcal for a smokey variant)
    1.0 oz Citrus juice, freshly squeezed (1 ounce lime juice OR half ounce each of lime juice and lemon juice)
    0.75 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau, Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao, or Creole Shrub)
    0.25 oz Agave syrup (If omitting the agave syrup, bump up the triple sec to a full ounce)
    Half salted rim

• North by Northwest   2 weeks 6 days ago

Apple butter is apple sauce that is caramelized by long, slow cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter

• Black Scottish Cyclops   2 weeks 6 days ago

In addition to a straight-up peaty Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, or Ardbeg), I have found that Talisker 10 year works very well in this cocktail. Other, less powerful, whiskys would just be overpowered (in part because 4 dashes of Fee Whiskey Barrel bitters is very intense).

• Widow's Kiss   2 weeks 6 days ago

It is a much better drink with Calvados, in my opinion. We always use Calvados -- with the same 2:1:1 ratios as the original recipe.

• Martini   2 weeks 6 days ago

The 3-1 ratio of gin to dry vermouth along with orange bitters and a lemon peel is the recipe I use. I've seen this particular variant called the "Nick and Nora". Moving on to "which gins" and "which vermouths" could fill pages.

• North by Northwest   2 weeks 6 days ago

Apple butter?

• Little Italy   3 weeks 2 days ago

Made using homemade figs in syrup. Definitely not cherry, but worked nicely

• Bella Luna   3 weeks 2 days ago

Candylike.

• Martineuse   3 weeks 3 days ago

This is essentially a Bijou, sans orange bitters. Try knocking back the Chartreuse to 1/4 oz if you feel it overpowers the drink. Maybe a london dry style gin will work wonders as well.

• Ford Cocktail   3 weeks 4 days ago

Nice. Not spectacular. This would be a good drink to introduce an assertive Old Tom (Ransoms, f'rinstance) to someone who "doesn't like gin". For me, who emphatically does like gin, it seems to play against the strengths of the spirit.

• Martineuse   3 weeks 4 days ago

Tastes like Chartreuse. But I did use Ransom's, which is halfway there to begin with. Thinking a lemon peel garnish would really add soemthing. Also, that a better vermouth (just killed my Carpano Antiqua on a Martinez this afternoon) and a less assertive gin, say Hayman's or Tanq OT might make a difference.

• Noce Americana   3 weeks 4 days ago

Tried this with Rittenhouse and ¼ ounce Russo Nocino replacing the bitters. Delicious and helped ease the difficult transition into autumn...