• Reply to: Miraflores   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

Good drink but just a tad sweet for me.  Maybe another 1/4 oz more lime juice and .75oz grapefruit juice?

• Reply to: Boulevard des Rêves   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

Made this tonight with Old Grand Dad 114 because that's the highest-proof bourbon I have. Love it!

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I just made this with añejo tequila in place of the gin as a hunch. I might like it even better than the original - good stuff!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

I reallly like this - pushes all my bitterest buttons. Wife hated it. Can't win 'em all ...

• Reply to: Crux   by   4 weeks 11 hours ago

Delicious cocktail. Great sidecar alternative, particularly if looking for something less cognac forward.

• Reply to: Lucino's Delight   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Specified the amaro, tightened up the instructors to our style guidelines, and added the reference. Sounds good. Not too sweet?

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Made one the other night for the first time in a while and it was even better than I remembered.  This is a truly outstanding cocktail.

I've been making this with Niessen Agricole Blanc and think its grassy funkiness amps up the herbaceous qualities of the Art of Choke.  I've never had the Depaz so I can't say what may have set off the previous commenter.  I recently got a bottle of the Wray & Nephew and will try that the next time I make one.

Edit: Tonight I tried one made with Wray & Nephew Overproof. Didn't really like it at all. The W&N added nothing but alcohol heat and the balance seemed lost. I felt it was necessary to be positive so in the interest of the greater good I made a second with the Niessen and it was much better!

• Reply to: B Squared   by   1 month 6 hours ago

Hmm...This is intriguing .  Will be trying tonight!

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   1 month 11 hours ago

Thanks for the feedback, Dan! I'm inclined to agree with you...this does need some tweaking. We just came up with it last week.

• Reply to: B Squared   by   1 month 11 hours ago

For the amaro, I generally use CioCiaro. and Averna if I don't have that. :)

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   1 month 1 day ago

Phil Ward is a genius at making drinks, but so terrible when it comes to naming them. I do have to salute him for his love of cheesy dad puns, as here.

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   1 month 1 day ago

This was the first drink I ever had at Death and Co in 2008. I ordered a "cheenartown" and the waitress said "I think it's sighnartown." But we were all kids back then!

• Reply to: Bona Drag   by   1 month 2 days ago

This is an excellent drink.  The herbal bitterness of the Bonal complements the richness and floral notes of the rums, and the dash of lemon juice lifts it.  Very nice, thanks to the creator.

• Reply to: 131   by   1 month 2 days ago

Curated this: Added both club soda and tonic, which were in the instructions but not in the recipe. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Autumn Ash   by   1 month 3 days ago

Curated this: added bitters, clarified garnish, added creator. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   1 month 4 days ago

Good with two dashes of simple syrup (according to David Embury's advice). Refreshing, effervescent and tart.

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   1 month 4 days ago

Curated this. Removed grenadine from the drink - it's literally gin, lime juice and club soda. Tart!  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: An Icy Wasatch Rohde   by   1 month 5 days ago

Very enjoyable sitting outside this evening. Would be curious about the background of the name.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   1 month 6 days ago

Reverting to small-batch cognac instead of rye, per old recipe(s), transforms this Classic Cocktail by tipping the familiar balance & allowing more herbal notes to emerge. A revelation.

• Reply to: Gin-Cin-Cyn   by   1 month 6 days ago

Lovely- twice the gin, a bit more Cynar &, as noted, Punt e Mes, balances the sweetness- playing w/ Plymouth

• Reply to: The Caribbean   by   1 month 6 days ago

Surprisingly good, a layered and delicious punch in the best tiki tradition. I used Appleton VX (a darker Jamaican would have been more traditional) and Don Q Añejo, increased the lime to 3/4 oz, and omitted the simple.

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   1 month 1 week ago

I'd like to like this. Much too sweet as written for my taste. I increased the Bourbon to 2oz and cut the 1/2 amari to 1/4 oz. Probably should cut the Fernet to a dash. The bitters aren't specified, so I used Bokers. I found the result nice, but a bit orange-forward. I think I'd use either Brigallet or Cio Ciaro, but not both. Rye might help with the sugar balance. I think this is a fun drink, but it needs more development, IMO.

• Reply to: Gin-Gin Mule   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this: These 6/6/10 drinks were the first round of things added to KC, and included some classics. I'm going to merge the other versions of the Gin-Gin Mule into this one. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fortune Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this. Estimated the amount of Champagne you're going to need to top a standard glass. Anyone have an idea of what a 'small handful' of mint is? I'd lean toward a sprig of mint versus a handful, otherwise the drink is going to taste like mint and nothing else. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Death & Taxes   by   1 month 1 week ago

2014-03-29 - Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

2015-04-11 - continuing the tradition of drinking this whilst doing my taxes, one year later. This time I have proper Death's Door Gin & Jerry Thomas bitters. A wonderful drink to take the pain away.