• Dewey D.   4 weeks 4 days ago

Enjoyed. Don't overdo the Angostura and the orange twist is a must.

• Summer of Sureau   5 weeks 2 days ago

Lacking the Boston bitters, I substituted Regan's. I found it too sweet, but improved by replacing the pineapple syrup with unsweetened juice.

• Eclipse   5 weeks 2 days ago

This drink is sometimes made in equal parts with mezcal as the base spirit and no tequila (or rinse). I prefer it that way, but in either version it's a top shelf drink. (Source: asking at The NoMad.)

• Raindog   5 weeks 3 days ago

Refernce to another drink of the same name notes- “The Bourbon anchors the cocktail, the Amaro Diesus adds aroma and Angostura bitters gives it complexity.” But can't locate the recipe or Marie Celeste’s Carlos Madriz.

• Bernardino Sour   5 weeks 4 days ago

Craig,

It looks like that's the case, though Matt says "shake the drink until it fully expands", so I'd imagine the texture and volume are significantly different than a normal drink.

Zachary

• Bernardino Sour   5 weeks 5 days ago

Is this really supposed to be strained? I don't really get the 4oz drink in an empty highball.

• Andean Exposition   6 weeks 16 hours ago

Just tried this along with the Reposado version mentioned (Jalisco Expedition?). Both were very good. Great use of sloe gin. May have even slightly preferred the tequila version.

• Cucumber Calypso   6 weeks 1 day ago

Made this with cucumber-infused gin and simple syrup. Very nice. I like the cherry flavors that come out of these Angostura-heavy drinks. Mistakenly served it up, which tasted great but I guess made it disappear too quickly. 5/5

• Helen of Troy Does Countertop Dancing   6 weeks 1 day ago

Very good, though a bit sweet so I served it over ice, topped with a little club soda, and added a big sprig of mint and it was perfect for a summer afternoon . This is where the rest of my applejack will be used.

• Frosun   6 weeks 2 days ago

Very fun and a conversation-starter for guests. Unsurprisingly delicious with gin. I made a version with mezcal and called it an Axolotl, after a Mexican salamander that exhibits neoteny (the property of only maturing if certain conditions are met, say if an ice cube warms enough to dilute a drink with Aperol).

• Easy Street Fizz   7 weeks 12 hours ago

After posting, I realized this looks like Schmidt's takeoff from his own Easy Street (with the addition of egg white being the main difference).

• Gascon Smash   7 weeks 2 days ago

Awesome summer drink, thanks for posting. My armagnac is marie duffau, and I used a mirabelle plum brandy. Next time I'll try my clear creek slivovitz- it's heavier and funkier and I think it would work well too. Worth the hassle of having to unclog plum pulp from the strainer a couple times.

• Spiced Rum Old Fashioned   7 weeks 6 days ago

Great combo of flavors, but using Angostura, recommend 2 dashes. (Pucker). This should help me get through this 1.75 liters of Sailor Jerry I was gifted.

• The Onset   8 weeks 2 days ago

This was great. Close enough to a negroni to be delicious, but different enough to be a surprise.

• Nui Nui   8 weeks 5 days ago

Fixed, thanks for the catch.

Zachary

• Nui Nui   8 weeks 5 days ago

This is a Don the Beachcomber original from ca. 1937, not a Jeff Berry drink as listed here. We do have Berry to thank for decoding the recipe, however.

• Infante   8 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the update! Also for the great link.

• Infante   8 weeks 6 days ago

Great drink! According to this reference, it should also have 3 drops of orange flower water: http://www.kingcocktail.com/sample-new.pdf

• Turf Cocktail   9 weeks 21 hours ago

In a few days, I'm going to consolidate the other Turf Cocktail into this one - effectively making this the canon version of the drink. Let me know if you want to save the other one - this is correct as per the Harry Johnson and Savoy books.

Zachary

• Maximilian Affair   9 weeks 2 days ago

Didn't have punt e mes, so substituted Cocchi Americano on a whim, delicious, a bit sweet, tart, and smoky, can't wait to make this again.

• Luxardo Sour   9 weeks 5 days ago

Best use for amaretto I've found, and I have a huge bottle (luxardo). I would much prefer a Trinidad sour however. The angostura makes the drink and does a reasonable job of tempering the amaretto, but it's still quite sweet/almond extract tasting. In the future I'd just not buy amaretto...

• Jekyll Island Iced Tea   9 weeks 6 days ago

Monin blackberry syrup, or Creme de Mure or Creme de Cassis work instead of the shrub.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   9 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you!

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   10 weeks 9 hours ago

ED8 is probably closest.

• The Adams   10 weeks 14 hours ago

Ok, thanks. I changed this entry to "altered", per your suggestion. I thought it was a pretty decent drink even with non-infused bourbon.