• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   5 weeks 3 days ago

I decided to try this since I've been staring at my bottle of sloe gin (bitter truth) for 3 years and I'd like to make space for something else. And, I love my Lemon Hart 80 (which sadly is now unavailable) and wanted to see if my unopened 151 hit the same delicious flavor notes. I knew this was going to be boozy, but on top of that it's quite sour with nothing to round it out. Maybe this was developed with sweeter sloe gins. I added maybe 1/2 oz each orgeat and sweet vermouth and a big mint sprig, which helped a lot, but I'm still in the market for an awesome sloe gin recipe. And open to suggestions on which El Dorado is closest to my Lemon Hart 80.

• The Adams   5 weeks 3 days ago

"whole Black Mission figs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and our blend of herbs and spices"

I had a taste probably six years ago and it didn't do much for me, though I don't recall the flavor. It's from MA, and I don't know how widely available it is.

• The Adams   5 weeks 3 days ago

Interesting. - I had no idea. What is it infused with? I've never seen it in the stores here in TN.

• Attention   5 weeks 3 days ago

Incidentally, A Mouth of Grandma is my hardcore band's name.

• The Adams   5 weeks 3 days ago

Just an FYI here, Diabolique is an infused bourbon, so it's not replaceable. That said, if the drink works with regular bourbon, it works - though I would call this an altered recipe.

• Torino Julep   5 weeks 5 days ago

I would start with a teaspoon for mouthfeel and balance and add more to taste, though I agree that 1/2 oz is overkill.

• Torino Julep   5 weeks 5 days ago

FrogPrincess on eGullet reports that even 1/4oz of syrup is plenty and perhaps none even better.

• Big Easy Sour   6 weeks 1 day ago

When trying a new drink that calls for a full ounce of Peychaud's, I fully approve of you using someone else's. ;)

But lordy, yes... The color! If I hadn't lost interest in True Blood years ago, I might've called it the Bon Temps Sour.

• Big Easy Sour   6 weeks 2 days ago

I made it at my bar and the color got lots of stares from my guests.

• Big Easy Sour   6 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks, glad you like! The cinnamon syrup was the one part I wasn't so sure about at first; I almost kept the Trinidad's orgeat... I sipped mine pretty quickly, so I don't think it had time to warm much (heh, oops). I'll look for that extra lemoniness next time.

• Big Easy Sour   6 weeks 2 days ago

Delicious. Cinnamon was an inspired choice. Interestingly, as it warmed it got quite lemony, despite the large amounts of other strong ingredients. Lovely color too.

• Noce Americana   6 weeks 5 days ago

Would consider an absinthe rinse next time.

• Avioncito   6 weeks 5 days ago

I liked it - used Milagro Reposado and Averna instead of the Zucca - but didn't taste the tequila as much. Maybe the MIlagro isn't as assertive as the Espolon (I'm not a tequila guy, so not sure)?

• Attention   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.

• Attention   6 weeks 6 days ago

Recipe says 1940s origin, but this cocktail appeared in a 1916 guide (Recipes for Mixed Drinks by Hugo R. Ensslin), according to classicmixology.com.

• Wray of Light   6 weeks 6 days ago

Than drinking it straight from the bottle, probably. Which I guess is what the Bum did in the days before he invented his Hart of Darkness.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   6 weeks 6 days ago

I updated the instructions to specify that you shake with ice, baby, though unfortunately I think KC frowns on mixin' cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar.

• Wray of Light   6 weeks 6 days ago

safer?

• The Brave   6 weeks 6 days ago

I wonder if they did that because it's hard to get sotol in many places, similar to why the NYT published the Oaxaca Old Fashioned with Ango instead of mole bitters.

• Summer Babe (Winter Version)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Serve with fingers, or another meal.

• The Brave   6 weeks 6 days ago

Ha. I'll have to try it with the Sotol then. I keep hearing great things about this drink from Texan friends.

• The Brave   7 weeks 4 min ago

Rafa,

Yeah, but Punch is wrong ;) The Sotol makes the drink.

Zachary

• The Brave   7 weeks 49 min ago

PUNCH published a slightly different recipe substituting blanco tequila for the sotol: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-brave/

• Hemingway Stripper Pole   7 weeks 1 day ago

Looks great. Might try this one out on a guest. I'll have to change the name lest they also get the image of Papa Hemingway riding a pole in their heads.

• Avioncito   7 weeks 4 days ago

Finallt got around to trying this. Really good. I'm not a huge tequila fan but this one is a keeper. I did end up bumping the tequila to 1.5 oz to cut the sweetness from the amari