• Reply to: Roman à Clef   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

I don't understand the note, that it works with "dry vermouth in place of the Cocchi," since Cocchi is not a listed ingredient.  Do you mean substituting the Cocchi for Campari, and then substituting dry vermouth for it?

• Reply to: Tango 'til They're Sore   by   4 weeks 5 hours ago

Made this tonight with Bulleit Rye, delicious. Just bought my first bottle of Luxardo yesterday (I know, I know) and this has me off to a great start.

• Reply to: Infidel   by   1 month 11 hours ago

Excellent mint-lime combo.  Good refreshing drink.

• Reply to: Heisenberg's Blue Sky   by   1 month 1 day ago

• Reply to: Heisenberg's Blue Sky   by   1 month 1 day ago

The novelty is the main draw, here.  Lots of drinks like this, but why not make it blue, eh?  It actually came out too limey for me and the elderflower was covered up.  Could use some tweaking or a really flavorful gin to shine through.

• Reply to: Papa Doble   by   1 month 2 days ago

Technically this is a Floridita Daiquiri #3.  Hemmingway took his with no simple syrup and double the rum, hence the name Papa Doble.

• Reply to: Culross Cocktail (Teardrop Lounge)   by   1 month 2 days ago

Mis-rememberd recipe and used Kina L'Avion instead of Cocchi. Turned out great.

• Reply to: Annie Chambers   by   1 month 3 days ago

I made this with Plymouth gin, Pür Likör Blood orange, and Employees Only Grenadine. It was very good. All the various herbal notes played well together. I also tried it with New Deal Aviation gin. The Plymouth was the best, though.

• Reply to: Brooklyn (Comstock Version)   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated  this slightly. Changed "Sherry" (which is a broad category of many styles) to "Palo Cortado Sherry" as per the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Millionaire #4   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I think you will find that the juice of 1 Key lime - usually 1/4 but less than 1/2 ounce - is just right for this nice drink.

• Reply to: Ramos Gin Fizz   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

A hand-held blender (Braun) works well for the dry shake. 1/2 oz orgeat and 1/2 oz simple syrup adds a little flavor.

• Reply to: Clover Club   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

A nice Clover Club can be made by muddling 5 or 6 fresh raspberries in 1/2 oz (homemade) grenadine (J. Morgenthaler's recipe with a little extra orange flower water). I use half and half Dolin Blanc and Dry. Strain well and garnish with 4 raspberries on a bamboo pick. I've made them with Hayman's Old Tom, Boodles, and Plymouth Navy Strength gin - all are very good!

• Reply to: Belgian 75   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Is there beer in this drink? If so, what kind and how much? Is there a Chinato you like? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Flannel Shirt   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Please correct the Allspice Dram amount according to reference link: should be a half of teaspoon, and not ½ oz.

Anyway, nice drink. Tart apple, tart whisky, spicy background.

• Reply to: Roman Holiday   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Delicious and refreshing on a warm summer evening--nicely sweet with a touch of complex bitterness.

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

A true classic.  I keep working with what I have to hit all the right notes.  Tonight's was particularly good...

• 1 oz. Appleton V/X
    • 1/2 oz. Barbancourt 8 yr
    • 1/2 oz. Neissen Agricole Blanc
    • 1/2 oz. Orange Curacao (Marie Brizzard)
    • (heavy) 3/4 oz. lime juice
    • (light) 1/2 oz. Orgeat (B.G. Reynolds)
    • 1/4 oz float - Lemon Hart 151

I can't find any aged agricoles near me so I compensate by going half & half with the Barbancourt which is made the same way and the Neissen which is a true agricole, but unaged.

The other key thing is that Mai Tai's have to be enjoyed outdoors.

edit: ( a few days later)

For fun I made one the other night subbing Amaro Ciociaro for the Orange Curacao and I used an oz each of the V/X and the Barbancourt, figuring with the amaro I didn't need any more herbal notes from the agricole.  I had almost an oz. of lime juice and added a heavy 1/2 oz of orgeat.  No Lemon Hart float.  It was pretty tasty but it left an aftertaste that was not entirely pleasant.

Perhaps, unlike the Negroni, the Mai Tai is a classic that does not allow for wild variations.

• Reply to: Bennett Cocktail   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Monkey 47 and jasmine simple syrup worked very well.

• Reply to: Zaya Shipwreck   by   2 months 11 hours ago

refreshing and savory.  Highlights the vanilla notes in both of the liquors - happily I have both brands on hand.  cut the simple to 1/2 oz, slight over pour of fresh lime juice.  time to make another.  sip this slowly folks!

• Reply to: La Paloma (Mezcal)   by   2 months 1 day ago

User esme 'n' franklin suggests Mezcal with San Pellegrino Pompelmo as a variation called Pigeon.

• Reply to: Blue Sky Summer   by   2 months 2 days ago

One can swap out the blueberries for strawberries too.

• Reply to: Hearts of Oak   by   2 months 3 days ago

Made with Buffalo Trace / Redbreast 12 / Laphroaig 10 / BT Jerry Thomas bitters. Smooth and full of bourbon barrel flavors. For me, it's better served straight up.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

• Reply to: Negroni Sour   by   2 months 4 days ago

Definitely more of a Negroni Fizz, yeah.

• Reply to: Negroni Sour   by   2 months 6 days ago

Maybe just semantics but with the soda it seems more of a Negroni Collins.

Looking forward to trying one!

• Reply to: Blackberry Whiskey Smash   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated this: Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Added year citation. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Garden Collins   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated this slightly: moved the syrup recipe to the notes section. Is this your drink. or someone else's? Is the rosemary syrup cold process or cooked? Thanks,  Zachary