• Reply to: Blind Lemon Jefferson   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Delightful. I used Rye instead of bourbon because I worried about it being too sweet. It was perfect with rye.

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

As do I. I have a whole list of potential drink names that are just phrases I find annoying or overly common. Stay tuned for "Social Liberal Fiscal Conservative" and "Short On The Sides Long On Top."

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   3 weeks 4 hours ago

Great name, even though I love both.

• Reply to: Upper West Side   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

This seems like a very odd take on the El Diablo; the recipe is almost identical except for creme de Violette instead of creme de cassis. (The other big difference being that the El Diablo is amazing IMO, and this is, well... not.) Those two ingredients even look similar, both having a deep purple color. Is it possible that the creme de Violette was an error?

• Reply to: Negroni d'Or   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

<br />A lovely drink, but even more so than one of my favorite cocktails, the traditional Negroni. Why so? The use of Gran Classico instead of Campari. Gran Classico gives a bitterness that is a hallmark of the Negroni, only less so. This is the cocktail of choice, I believe, for those who would like a less bitter Negroni-syle cocktail. But don't sell short the Dolin Blanco, which has a sweetness to it, but less so than the sweet vermouth used in the traditional Negroni. Consequently, this drink deserves a good gin, one wiith a nice bouquet. Tanqueray Ten, Beefeater 24, and Citadelle come to mind. Without the Campari and sweet vermouth, the gin is able to peek its head out a little more and make its presence known. This is truly a Negroni of gold!

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

The way it's written now works very well. Essentially a Bourbon Southside with Ango :-)

• Reply to: Stovetop Challenge   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

I've tried three different Dubonnet Rouge and gin cocktails (including this one), and have been disappointed in each. I've used either Tanqueray Ten or Bombay Sapphire to no avail. Perhaps another brand of gin will produce a better result. I've come to the conclusion, however, that the combination of gin and Dubonnet Rouge just do not a notable cocktail maketh. A three rating was the best I could give any of the gin and Dubonnet cocktails I tried.

• Reply to: Stovetop Challenge   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

I have tried three variations of Dubonnet Rouge and gin (including this one), and I've been disappointed in each. I've used Tanqueray Ten and Bombay Sapphire. Perhaps another brand of gin will produce better results. I've gome to the conclusion, however, and the combination of gin and Dubonnet Rouge just do not a good cocktail maketh. A three rating is the best I can give any of the gin and Dubonnet cocktails I've tried.

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Fixed, thanks. For people who don't have the app, it would be nice if you'd quote the whole drink so I can transcribe it correctly. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Bartenders Choice App recipe has "small handful mint" in the list of ingredients. Also wrong name on one of the creators. It's Schell, not Schekk.

• Reply to: Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

The absinthe and sweet balance well.

• Reply to: Ex-Pat   by   4 weeks 23 hours ago

This site specifies a mint leaf garnish.

• Reply to: Espresso Martini   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Horatio: O day and night, but this espresso martini is wondrous strange!

Hamlet: And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in London bars, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Reply to: Espresso Martini   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Ugh.

• Reply to: Dandelion Cocktail   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Sorry... The orange flower water goes in it. The garnish is a flower. Thanks, Mike

• Reply to: Dandelion Cocktail   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Do you mean the orange flower water is a garnish or some other sort of flower? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Loose noose   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this: removed description to avoid copyright. Corrected sherry to fino sherry, 1/2 oz of allspice dram to 1/2 tsp, added orange peel garnish all as per cited link. Added creator information and date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Red Danube   by   1 month 19 hours ago

<br />This is my first cocktail using Zwack liqueur, and I must say it made a favorable first impression. Unlike an earlier comment, I could not discern a mint taste. The Campari, however, made its presence known, but only mildly so. As for this drink I personally rate it 4.5. An exceptionally good drink--either before or after dinner--but I favor before.

• Reply to: A Brighter Summer Day   by   1 month 1 day ago

Maybe I have old Becherovka, but I felt the cinnamon needed the extra kick which is why I went with Fee's. I agree about the apricot, but I'm trying to finish a bottle of peach liqueur someone gave me and this is the best use I've found for it. I'll experiment with bitters this weekend and report back.

• Reply to: Espresso Martini   by   1 month 1 day ago

Curated this: removed history to avoid copyright. As a note, we typically frown on X Martinis and they usually stay unpublished. But given the creator of the drink and the efforts underway at the time to simplify and innovate the lackluster cocktail scene, I feel it's an important part of pre-Renaissance cocktail history. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Sabotta Dusk   by   1 month 1 day ago

Very nice, very, smooth, and very delicious. The ingredients blend together so well that it's difficult to discern the rye whiskey or cognac. I suspect that drinkers who are not fond of rye whiskey will find this drink to their lliking. I rated this 4.5, and good to the last drop!

• Reply to: A Brighter Summer Day   by   1 month 1 day ago

Strong on the cinnamon from the Becherovka. Use bitters that are without cinnamon. Made with apricot because peach tends toward Jolly Rancher. Fits the name very well.

• Reply to: The Winthrop   by   1 month 3 days ago

Too sweet for my tastes, but the flavors are nice. Next time I'll probably omit the Aperol in favor of several dashes of bitters.

• Reply to: Fears and Failures   by   1 month 3 days ago

Very nice. I topped with Founders Curmudgeon ale, which gave this a bit of a molasses background that played well with the other ingredients.

• Reply to: All Jacked Up   by   1 month 4 days ago

Renamed from "Mayahuel's All Jacked Up" as per user Craig E, citing Mayahuel's on-line menu.