• Reply to: Rum Row Old Fashioned   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Hmmm. 1 dash Ango Orange, but 1 drop Bittermen's Burlesque?

• Reply to: Yellow Bell   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Used Uncle Val's Peppered Gin and Chartreuse VEP -- why not?  This cocktail is the real deal!

• Reply to: Negroni d'Or   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

<br />A lovely drink, but even more than one of my favorite cocktails, the traditional Negroni. Why so? The use of Gran Classico instead of Campari. Gran Classico gives a bitterness that is a hallmark of the Negroni, only less so. This is the cocktail of choice, I believe, for those who would like a less bitter Negroni-syle cocktail. But don't sell short the Dolin Blanco, which has a sweetness to it, but less than the sweet vermouth used in the traditional Negroni.

Consequently, the Negroni d'Or deserves a good gin, one wiith a nice bouquet. Tanqueray Ten, Beefeater 24, and Citadelle come to mind. Without the Campari and sweet vermouth, the gin is able to peek its head out a little more and make its presence known. This is truly a Negroni of gold!

<br />
    It's dun run out. So what bitters can be used in place of Abbotts?

• Reply to: The Black Stallion Sets Sail   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

With subs of Vermouth del Professore and Smith & Cross, I really liked this one.

• Reply to: Disco Ball   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

<br />I was skeptical about this cocktail. After all, it was very heavy on the Chartreuse side. But the one rating of a 5 said I had to try it. I anticipated the smokiness from the Mezcal, but I was pleasently surprised by the combination of both green and yellow Chartreuses. The recipe did not call for a garnish of any sorts, but I added a lime twist, which made the cocktail more complex and more interesting.

The Disco is not Everyman's drink, but drinkers who enjoy a drink with a smoky flavor or Chartreuse will take to "The Disco Ball." However, I believe the drink will profit from a garnish of sorts, but I don't know--at this time--what the garnish should be. Bitters? Orange Twist? Lemon Twist? Grapefruit twist? Lime twist? Explore and let others know what you discover, please. Although I enjoyed this drink, the ingredients give a heavy taste, which is hard to overcome without a bitters or garnish of sorts. I rated this drink at 3.5. Imbibe, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this to conform with the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Negroni Sans   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Not bad;  I think less Sanbitter is better here.

The recipe as written needs almost 7 oz of liquid and then ice as well and would over-fill most rocks glasses.

An oz or two would probably be sufficient.

• Reply to: Baby, You’re Driving   by   4 weeks 7 hours ago

Curated to conform to source recipe, especially using Bison Grass vodka, which is very different from regular vodka.

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   4 weeks 12 hours ago

The Hennessy site specifies Nonino as the amaro:

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   4 weeks 20 hours ago

Works wonders with Rittenhouse, Linie, Professore Vermouth, Benedictine, Ango and Peach Bitters!

• Reply to: Stenton   by   1 month 19 hours ago

Excellent. I used lemon because orange scares me (uh, and I didn't have one on hand). I'd try the orange next time.

Update: Made again with orange juice and peel. Much better. I also sub'd a very strong and bitter version of Amer Boudreau for the CioCiaro. Excellent.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   1 month 2 days ago

Pretty good. For the unspecified bitters I used Angostura for one drink and Peychaud's for the other. Ango was better.

• Reply to: Mark Twain Cocktail   by   1 month 5 days ago

Prefer 2oz scotch and 1/2oz simple

• Reply to: Eva Peron   by   1 month 5 days ago

Never having tried it with Canton, I just made this with King's Ginger, 3/4 oz of lime, and soda instead of ginger beer.  I thought the flavor balance was good, not too sweet, but the ginger was more subtle than big-kick.

• Reply to: Landing Gear Fizz   by   1 month 5 days ago

Curated this: removed copyrighted text and rewrote it, added date, estimated the amount of soda at 3 ounces (this is a small 3.25 oz pre-chill drink). Added garnishes. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rusty Automaton   by   1 month 5 days ago

I love a good bourbon or rye drink, and this one is very drinkable. It's a good "after work but before dinner" drink. And it's one that is great in the evening after dinner. I'm not sure why the small amount of bourbon--maybe just to appease bourbon drinkers. Regardless, it's a great drink and one that deserves to become a favorite across the U.S.

Addendum: It's several months later, and I decided to try the "Rusty Automaton" again--only now with a little more Bourbon. This time I added 1/4 oz of Jim Beam black label. If my memory is correct, the drink is a tad better with a tad more Bourbon. As much as I enjoy Bourbon, I believe more than !/4 oz Bourbon is asking for trouble. Right now, both the Rye and the Bourbon come through; but with a greater amount of Bourbon, the rye's taste would be compromised. Originally I rated this cocktail at 4.0, but with the small increase in Bourbon (from 1/6 oz to 1/4 oz), I now rate the "Rusty Automaton" at 4.5. Enjoy this and other cocktails, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   1 month 6 days ago

Excellent. A very nice Negroni, indeed!

• Reply to: Polka Dot Negroni   by   1 month 6 days ago

<br />Despite the forward-Juniper gin (I used Tanqueray's Bloomsbury Gin), and despite that I'm writing this review in mid-September, I found the Polka Dot Negroni to be a light, slightly sweet drink, one that I would be sipping on during a sunny, warm summer day--but under a big umbrella because of my fair complexion. If you're thinking, "This bloke's trying to tell me he likes the bloody drink!" you're absolutely wrong. I don't like this drink--I love the blinkin' thing!

The Polka Dot Negroni is a great summer drink, even during these last few days of summer. I think most casual drinkers will enjoy this concoction. Hell, I'll probably be drinking this wonderful drink on the first day of winter. The gin, the bianco Vermouth, and Salers go together like a hand in a glove. The lemon twist is a good garnish; I even dropped the peel into the drink for added color. However I didn't care for the Luxardo Maraschino cherry as a garnish; I spooned mine out as soon as I tasted the residual juice surrounding the cherry--the juice's taste just didn't fit in with the other tastes inherent in the drink.

Take the time to try the Polka Dot Negroni--you'll like it! Dollars to donuts! Enjoy the drink, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   1 month 6 days ago

I'm surprised there have not been any comments about the "Autumn Negroni," given a 5 rating by four raters. That says something about the drink--namely that those who enjoy a Negroni style cocktail will surly enjoy this drink. The gin, along with the Campari, and the Fernet-Branca control where this drink is going. I, personally, enjoy Negroni-style drinks, and this drink is no exception. I rated it a 4, but with a little arm twisting, I'd jack it up to 4.5. Personally, I love this drink.

Adventuresome drinkers will, I believe, also find this an enjoyable cocktail, as long as they understand the effects of Campari and Fernet-Branca on a cocktail. Put your toes into the water, and give it a try! You have, I believe, more to gain than to lose. Enjoy but drink responsibly!

• Reply to: Nacho Sour   by   1 month 1 week ago

• Reply to: the Minton   by   1 month 1 week ago

A very, very pleasant drink with, as expected, fruity overtones. On this, my first try with "The Minton," I made some small changes. Of course, I don't know if the changes made the drink betterr or worse--or no difference at all. However, the changes resulted in my rating the cocktail at 5. The changes were small: (1) To tone down the anticipated sweetness, I used 1/4 oz Aperol and 1/4 oz Campari. Thus the sweetness of the Aperol was there, but just a tad of bitterness floated to the top due to the Campari. (2) with the three dashes of orange bitters, I used four drops for each dash, not the traditional three drops. Each dash had two drops of Regans' orange bitters and two drops of Angustora orange bitters. I have seen a number of cocktail recipes that combined these two brands into what was called "house bitters." The change in taste is subtle but noticable by combining them.

I would like to get some feedback on changes I made--for better or worse. I would like to hear how others made changes and what the results were. Meanwhile, drink up, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Champagne Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Best with a rich simple syrup for texture and consistency (1/4 oz or under works well) and a nice dry somewhat neutral Cremant or Cava. Improved by a spritz of something aromatic--we use Chartreuse. The lemon zest is best expressed over the rim and rubbed around the stem and discarded--you don't want fruit banging on your teeth when you're drinking from a flute.

• Reply to: Seventh Heaven   by   1 month 1 week ago

Prefer the Colonial cocktail, which has the same ingredients, but is heavier on the grapefruit juice and lighter on the maraschino.

• Reply to: The Viering Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Feels like it needs a lemon twist, so I added a lemon twist.