• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Are the amounts correct? 5.5 oz seems like an awfully large drink (even at low abv). Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Sencha Flip   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

I think it's better to infuse the tea in the gin, as adding all that water to egg white gives you a watery drink. Oh, I also sell sencha: http://www.kentwang.com/sencha-tea.html

• Reply to: Tommy Gun   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

Curated  this. Removed picture and note and rewrote instructions to avoid copyright issues. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: White Tai   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Wonderful nose, really highlighted the rum and lime elements, just a hint of sweet.  I always use a lighter touch with the orgeat.  Might sub out one of the rums for Arrack Batavia cause I happen to have it.  5 star.

• Reply to: Lonesome Dove   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Like the name and the concept of this drink.  I made a "version" of it with muddled dark brown sugar, plum bitters, and blackberries.  And just shook the lemon, bourbon, and honey syrup (no allspice dram on hand).  I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.  I really like drinks that turn out deep purple in color like this one did.

• Reply to: Volstead (revised)   by   3 weeks 7 hours ago

Mmm, nice. A smidge more Punsch on my end and I'm happy.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Agreed, I'd like to retry it with two ounces rum to a half ounce each Mandarine and Campari, with maybe a dash of bitters. Seems like a waste of a premium rum to background it.

• Reply to: Vice President   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Made it with Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos.
    It looks like Mandarine Napoleon and Campari are at the spotlight, and not the rum. Anyway, interesting combination of gentian and tangerine with rum background. Sweet but not cloying.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply to: Flaming Homer   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Curated for correct brand of Maurin Quina.

• Reply to: Moonage Daydream   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

A variation from emulch:
    Hanky Zacapa
    2 oz Guatemalan rum, Zacapa
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Dolin
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Punt e Mes
    1 bsp Fernet Branca (heavy)
    1 ds Bitters, Angostura

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Plenty of stronger drinks in this database.

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

a) Definitely for AFTER breakfast. b) See reference.

Honestly though, it's not as strong (tasting) as it looks.

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Congratulations, Scott, on Gaz's 101 Best New Cocktails 2014. I just got the newsletter from Gaz, read the recipe, and thought, "Hey, that sounds familiar...."

• Reply to: Black Negroni   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

I've got nice result with equal parts of 120 proof gin, Campari and Averna (with Bitter Truth Orange and Aromatic bitters). It seems not as sweet as with standard proof gin and Angostura/Regan's. Maybe it helps...

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

a) 1 1/2 oz of W&N? That's a lot of booze in one drink. b) Petrol?!?

• Reply to: Earthbound Cocktail   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

Could we call a "splash" a barspoon? Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, Dan! Do let us know what you think about it on the rocks.  We tend to favor drinks like this straight up, but it's definitely a slow sipper that way, so a gradual dilution might be interesting as well.  Couldn't find anything on Laurie King's twitter...can you point us to what you saw?

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I wish more people agreed with you.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I'm glad you are so obedient, DrunkLab! Oh well.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I'm sure Ms. King will be pleased. She inquired on twitter. This recipe tipped me over the edge to buy another bottle of yellow. I have Sterga and Galliano, but I wanted to try it as written.Green might walk over the more subtle aspects of the Sibilia, but I'm game to try it. Really great cocktail. This might be best on the rocks, though. It's a thoughtful drink, and as you linger, the additional dilution will let it evolve a bit. I don't think there's much risk of becoming watery.

• Reply to: Dubois Margarita   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Really nice. Had a delicious peppery flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I tried a variation based on Dan's suggestion: 1 oz Campari to a half ounce each Creole Shrubb and unsweetened cranberry juice, pinch of salt. Nicely tart and bitter, but I missed the lime flavor.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

I used to do a drink with unsweetened cranberry juice, lime peel-heavy falernum, and white rum. Unsweetened cranberry juice isn't as acidic as citrus (or the bottled stuff isn't anyway) but it's still a fun and underexplored mixer. Good call.

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

This is crying out for a variation with unsweetened cranberry juice and no lime. :)

• Reply to: Puerto Rican Rum   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Just a quick note—Captain Morgan is no longer produced in Puerto Rico. It is now made in the US Virgin Islands.

While it's true that rums made in Puerto Rico are lighter in body and character than rums from, say, Jamaica, it's misleading to say they're scarcely differentiated from vodka. Bottlings like Palo Viejo and Caliche, containing a high proportion of heavy rums in their blends, have a full, molasses-y flavor that compares favorably, in my view, to Havana Club Añejo 3 year. The Barrilito expressions are robust and rummy. Even Don Q Cristal, the most popular rum among Puerto Ricans, has vanilla and spice notes from barrel aging, and makes a flavorful Daiquiri.

All Puerto Rican rums are aged for a legal minimum of one year in oak in bonded warehouses. Most bottlings are a blend of light-bodied and heavy-bodied (long ferment, lower distilling proof) rums. I've tasted the heavy rums on their own and found them surprisingly English/Jamaican in style (albeit less funky than, say, Wray & Nephew White Overproof). Granted, the character of most blends is still light (the heavy rum being equivalent to a touch of Islay in a blended Scotch). Distilleries sometimes bottle their aguardientes (low wines), which are intensely flavored, like eaux de vie of molasses.