• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   1 month 6 days ago

It's that time again - we now have 36 variations of the Old Fashioned, and I'm going to thin them out (by hiding them) based on how many people have the drink in their cocktail book - I feel it's better than either deleting them or merging them into this drink and making a note. Just as a heads up, I'm also going to do this to the Negroni and the Martini - any new variations of these three drinks will need to come from a great bar or be so compelling it deserves to be seen by everyone.  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Unstrung Harp   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this: moved the ginger syrup instructions to the notes section - it breaks the line badly otherwise. As an aside, this seems like an unpalatable amount of lime here - even if you get an ounce of juice out of a lime, it's almost as much as the alcohol and sweetener combined.

• Reply to: Private Club Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

There are some good flavors in it but it needs work. The lemon juice is over powering with both flavor and acidity. I can't give you a better substitution but maybe I'll work on it.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   1 month 1 week ago

Yeah I wrote it how it was in the book. Although actually it was donkey milk in the book. He does specifically call for raw milk as a substitute but i don't intend to use that. I think it's more about historical accuracy. Creme de cacao makes sense, but I'm curious about the Mexican hot chocolate thing so I'm going with that.

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   1 month 1 week ago

I used Sipsmith Sloe Gin and cut back the apricot liquer to 1/2 ounce.  Loved it, my friend was "not as enamored with it" but i thought it was tart, sweet and delightful!

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   1 month 1 week ago

I think I'd take his advice on the creme de cacao (an addition of 6 oz), but I don't know that the raw milk is necessary (or safe) in this application.

• Reply to: Kentucky Monastery   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated to correct 1 oz -> 1 dash bitters.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   1 month 1 week ago

I got it from Imbibe (2nd edition), not that article, maybe I forgot to put that. Only difference I can see is the book calls for one less cup of milk (3 cups instead of 4). Oh it also didn't specify the servings. That's very useful, I'm making it for New Years Day... Thanks.

• Reply to: Primer   by   1 month 1 week ago

Good cocktail. Complex, perhaps a bit too much. There is a lot going on at once in the drink.

• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   1 month 1 week ago

I tweaked this by using a little less than 1/4 oz of green chartreuse in place of the yellow chartreuse and enjoyed the heck out of this drink. It's definitely for those who love bitter drinks with a whisper of smoke and herbs.

• Reply to: Kirsch Cosmo   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated this per a curation request: Fixed the link (which was broken).

• Reply to: Black Flip   by   1 month 1 week ago

Tried this with 1/2 ounce of Wondermint substituted for 1/2 ounce of the rum.  Very tasty!

• Reply to: 1794   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Highly recommend the 1796 with Santa Teresa rum mentioned in the comments at the link.

• Reply to: Texian Egg Nogg   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I curated this slightly to bring it into line with the cited link (which is Wondrich's Esquire article).

• Reply to: Ginger Grant   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - added new ingredient Vanilla liqueur, Giffard.

• Reply to: Gypsy   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Due to a curation request, I merged two cocktails called "Gypsy" - the one with a better source citation is the one I kept.

• Reply to: Anastasia   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Cut all volumes in half, used unflavored vodka and added 1/4 oz ginger liqueur for 3 oz pre-shake volume.

• Reply to: Midnight Stinger   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Thought the Fernet might be overpowering, but it's not. A tad sweet for my taste; will reduce syrup to 1/2 next time.

• Reply to: Big Ship   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Tasty, and despite appearing to be a winter-spiced drink, it would work wonderfully as a light summertime sour.  I subbed in my regular homemade orgeat because I'm sure it doesn't make much of a difference at 1/4 oz.  I also served it up in a chilled coupe because it really seemed like more appropriate glassware.  It's already well-diluted and is a somewhat small drink, so pouring it over ice seems like a recipe for quick over-dilution.

• Reply to: Curbside Cider   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Not bad, but the Fernet is pretty strong.  There are better cider recipes out there.

• Reply to: New Amsterdam Winter Fix   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

The linked recipe adds superfine sugar or simple syrup to the muddle. I made it without and thought it very nice and balanced without the additional sweetener.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I curated this per the link, which has Sam Ross making the drink and explaining the ingredients. There are a lot recipes floating around the internet for this, most of which simplify the ginger part of the sweetener, or sub different Scotches, but I figure that if we have a video of the creator of the drink, that should be the canonical recipe.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I second the comments stated by, "Fransos".

3/8 oz. Honey Syrup

3/8 oz Sweetened Ginger Juice

(not 3/4 oz Ginger-Honey Syrup)

Created, 2005

(As per Sam's, "Bartender's Choice" App.)

*this needs curation*

• Reply to: Arrack Swizzle (Cienfuegos)   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

There was a curation request to change the volume of rum and sweet vermouth to 3/4 oz from 1/2 oz. Done. If there's a link to cite, please include it.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Clever clever clever. The Chartreuse fits in perfectly.