• Reply to: Maximalist Green Swizzle   by   1 day 17 hours ago

In this article he had 1 tsp of green creme de menthe also:

• Reply to: To Hell with Spain   by   2 days 21 hours ago

Not sure the absinthe adds a complementary flavor. I would try omitting it next time.

• Reply to: Winter's Blush   by   3 days 17 hours ago

It's a bit odd at first but it grows on you. At first I thought that the Chartreuse came on a bit strong but by sip two or three my objections subsided. It's a good, old-school tasting cocktail and I'll be putting it into rotation. Also, nice presentation. Edit: I read bsp as Tbsp so my version had 1/2 oz of simple syrup. I liked it though.

• Reply to: Martinez   by   5 days 18 hours ago

Death & Co Martinez is

2 oz Old Tom (1 1/2 Hayman;s, 1/2 Ransom)

1 oz Sweet Vermouth (House, split Punt e Mes and Dolin Rouge)

1/2 teaspoon Luxardo Maraschino

1/2 teaspoon Kirsch (Massenez Kirsch Vieux Cherry Brandy)

1 dash house orange bitters

lemon twist.

• Reply to: Martini   by   5 days 18 hours ago

I like this variant from David Wondrich's Imbibe, called Formula #1 (Turf Club). It's a lot sweeter, but I tend to like things on the sweet side.

1.5 oz Old Tom Gin

1.5 oz Italian Vermouth

2-3 dash bitters (I used angostura, but calls for Peruvian)

• Reply to: Sunday In The Park   by   6 days 18 hours ago

Made this with what I had on hand (JB bourbon and no thyme).  Nice cocktail, but I can see how the thyme would really make it complete.  I may revise my rating up after I try it with some thyme.

• Reply to: Winter Waltz   by   1 week 5 days ago

Tasty

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   2 weeks 2 hours ago

Curated this - it now agrees with the Del Maguey site and Fred Yarm (at the link) - previously, it was 2:1/2:1/2:1

• Reply to: South End Sling   by   2 weeks 22 hours ago

The Del Maguey website has this as an ounce each of Vida, fernet, heering, and lime, topped with ginger beer.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   3 weeks 8 hours ago

An excellent drink!  I've been making this with Rye instead of bourbon - Jim Beam's of late.  I also tried a variation using Jim Beam, Amaro Nonino, and (instead of Aperol) an aperitivo I found in Paris when I was (unsuccessfully) looking for a bottle of Select- Poli's "Airone Rosso."  It worked very well. (The Italian shopkeeper in Paris told me that Airone Rosso is very similar to Select.) I also sometimes add 1/8 to 1/4 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur. And I sometimes substitute Ramazotti for the Nonino. There you have it.

• Reply to: Nation Of Two   by   3 weeks 16 hours ago

There is a lot going on, the pepper is nice as complexity. Used buffalo trace bourbon which is already a little peppery, so that add to it.

• Reply to: Apricot and Averna Bourbon Sour   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Sort of an Averna Jimjam with a bourbon backbone.

• Reply to: Campfire Sling   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Curated to correct syrup from 1oz to 1/4oz as per source recipe. No need for diabetes.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

This is the least good cocktail using elderflower I've had.  I love this stuff but this is a miss:  too much elderflower or maybe the interaction with orange is wrong.  The original Corpse Reviver #2 is better.

• Reply to: Water Lily   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Despite a pleasing appearance and high expectations, I must conclude this to be one of the least flavorful, albeit balanced, cocktails I've ever had.

• Reply to: Leap Year   by   4 weeks 14 hours ago

Subbed out Carpano formula antica for the vermouth.  Very subtle beginning, needs some time in the glass before the GM shows up.  Might try it with something other than Botanist next time.

• Reply to: Eclipse   by   4 weeks 20 hours ago

Probably meant to be shaken, no?

• Reply to: November Witch   by   1 month 1 hour ago

See sidebar for Bartender's Bain-Marie.

• Reply to: Meatpacker   by   1 month 2 days ago

Just tried this. Was tasty but reminded me vaguely of a tootsie roll!

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   1 month 3 days ago

Made with 1 1/2 oz Campari, 3/4 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz lime, 1/2 oz cranberry (2 tsp unsweetened cranberry juice and 1 tsp simple syrup) and the pinch of salt. Very good.

• Reply to: Infinite Jest   by   1 month 3 days ago

I don't know how, but this is the most painfully sour cocktail I've ever had. My jaw cramped up.

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   1 month 4 days ago

Very nice as written. I cross this with the Kingston negroni by substituting Smith & Cross for the bourbon. Call it a Chimpgroni. Even better in my opinion.

• Reply to: Gypsy Eyes   by   1 month 6 days ago

This is a really good drink.  Balance is right; it's one garnish or substitution or bitters away from being a classic.

• Reply to: Edgewood   by   1 month 6 days ago

Good balance; of the 3 ingredients you'd expect to be able to taste, you can taste them all equally.  But could use another layer of flavor: herbal or fizzy, maybe?

• Reply to: Bourbon   by   1 month 1 week ago