• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   1 day 22 hours ago

Curated this. Edited recipe to reflect cited link. Thanks for the catch. Zachary

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   1 day 23 hours ago

This recipe doesn't match the reference - should be 1/2 oz lime juice, 1/3 oz St Germain, 1/3 oz simple.

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   3 days 3 hours ago

Good balance.  The homemade coffee liqueur I'm using is quite flavorful, and it tends to overwhelm.  I'd use 1/2 ounce of it at most next time I make the drink.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   4 days 2 hours ago

Rather nice, if a touch sweet. I think I might try rye (aromatically drier than bourbon), reducing the 1/2 oz parts to maybe 1/3 oz, an adding 1/3 oz dry vermouth or sherry.

• Reply to: Kansai Kick   by   4 days 3 hours ago

Curated this. Removed redundant notes. Moved date in the attribution to the correct box. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Zephyr   by   4 days 19 hours ago

Cutting the gin to 1.5 oz. and adding 1/2 oz of lime juice balances this drink out and makes it more palatable.

• Reply to: Another Fine Mes   by   4 days 22 hours ago

This is really quite good. I made a second with a little Cynar in with the vermouth to try and amp up the vegetal side, so if you'd be interested in that, it wotks.

• Reply to: Grounds for Separation   by   5 days 1 hour ago

Very tasty

• Reply to: B Squared   by   5 days 23 hours ago

What Amaro do you recommend? I would think something not too bitter? Nonino?

• Reply to: Jägerita   by   1 week 3 hours ago

Hard to believe this could need the simple. It doesn't actually sound bad. Just because Jägermeister is a frat-house staple, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a long history as bitters.

• Reply to: Trans-Europe Express   by   1 week 2 days ago

Very sweet as written. I added another part of dry vermouth, but even then it was too sweet. I would like to try this again as perhaps 2 oz spirit and a total of 1 oz sweet.

• Reply to: Leather and Lace   by   1 week 3 days ago

Curated from 5 to 0.5 oz syrup, which I assume was the intended amount.

• Reply to: La Viña   by   1 week 4 days ago

My variation:

1 1/2 oz Rye
    3/4 oz Amaro Nonino
    1/2 oz Amontillado (dry)
    1/2 oz PX
    1 dash Regans'

Very nice indeed.

• Reply to: Grounds For Divorce   by   1 week 5 days ago

Related to the song by Elbow? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxczVhG0os8

• Reply to: San la Muerte   by   1 week 5 days ago

I didn't think too much of it, I didn't find the chipotle particularly pleasing with the sweetness of the Licor 43—2 stars. I like the Margarilla much better, a very similar drink but with much less Licor 43 that let's the tequila make itself felt.

• Reply to: Havana Crusta   by   1 week 5 days ago

Pretty nice together, didn't blow me away, but a solid 3 star drink. I may have liked it a bit tarter, but I'd fade that way usually anyway.

• Reply to: The Adams   by   1 week 6 days ago

Diabolique was used because we have a cordials license at Estragon and that was the only bourbon we could serve. Try it with rye as well if you want it a little more spice-forward.

• Reply to: Amari & friends   by   2 weeks 4 hours ago

Tossolini Amaro, much more bitter orange and less herbal, easy mixing, imported by Niche Import Co.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

If you can find it, try Unicum Plum. Delicious.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

I brought it back from New York (Astor W&S). I bought it exclusively to make The Fall of Man, which was very good but not as good as some other Beta cocktails that required rare ingredients (like the Warning Label - Lemon Hart 151 is the best).

Unicum is so much better than Zwack. It's closer to Fernet, which actually might be an ok substitution in this drink.

• Reply to: The Heart That You Own   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Fess up. You found Zwack Unicum amaro and not just Zwack Next liqueur? Where?

• Reply to: New Hat Batched   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Needs instructions. I also think this would be better written as a one-drink non-batched recipe, with instructions for batching.

• Reply to: The Chanticleer Cocktail   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Quite good, and heightened finely by a couple drops of oleo saccharum (should you have it on hand).

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

I 2nd the comparison to ruby grapefruit. I'm fine with bitter, but this is a funny combo of bitter and acidic. Made with mediocre gin, so maybe botanicals save it. For the record I'm not a grapefruit fan, so maybe it's me, too.

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Curated to conform to style guidelines. I agree, as written, it will not fit in a proper-sized cocktail glass. Would need a 10 oz glass or so. Serve with two staws?? ;)