• Nui Nui   1 day 17 hours ago

Fixed, thanks for the catch.

Zachary

• Nui Nui   1 day 22 hours ago

This is a Don the Beachcomber original from ca. 1937, not a Jeff Berry drink as listed here. We do have Berry to thank for decoding the recipe, however.

• Infante   2 days 1 hour ago

Thanks for the update! Also for the great link.

• Infante   2 days 9 hours ago

Great drink! According to this reference, it should also have 3 drops of orange flower water: http://www.kingcocktail.com/sample-new.pdf

• Turf Cocktail (Harry Johnson)   3 days 21 hours ago

In a few days, I'm going to consolidate the other Turf Cocktail into this one - effectively making this the canon version of the drink. Let me know if you want to save the other one - this is correct as per the Harry Johnson and Savoy books.

Zachary

• Maximilian Affair   5 days 10 hours ago

Didn't have punt e mes, so substituted Cocchi Americano on a whim, delicious, a bit sweet, tart, and smoky, can't wait to make this again.

• Luxardo Sour   1 week 1 day ago

Best use for amaretto I've found, and I have a huge bottle (luxardo). I would much prefer a Trinidad sour however. The angostura makes the drink and does a reasonable job of tempering the amaretto, but it's still quite sweet/almond extract tasting. In the future I'd just not buy amaretto...

• Jekyll Island Iced Tea   1 week 2 days ago

Monin blackberry syrup, or Creme de Mure or Creme de Cassis work instead of the shrub.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   1 week 2 days ago

Thank you!

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   1 week 3 days ago

ED8 is probably closest.

• The Adams   1 week 3 days ago

Ok, thanks. I changed this entry to "altered", per your suggestion. I thought it was a pretty decent drink even with non-infused bourbon.

• The Carbonated Piston Slinger   1 week 3 days ago

I decided to try this since I've been staring at my bottle of sloe gin (bitter truth) for 3 years and I'd like to make space for something else. And, I love my Lemon Hart 80 (which sadly is now unavailable) and wanted to see if my unopened 151 hit the same delicious flavor notes. I knew this was going to be boozy, but on top of that it's quite sour with nothing to round it out. Maybe this was developed with sweeter sloe gins. I added maybe 1/2 oz each orgeat and sweet vermouth and a big mint sprig, which helped a lot, but I'm still in the market for an awesome sloe gin recipe. And open to suggestions on which El Dorado is closest to my Lemon Hart 80.

• The Adams   1 week 3 days ago

"whole Black Mission figs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and our blend of herbs and spices"

I had a taste probably six years ago and it didn't do much for me, though I don't recall the flavor. It's from MA, and I don't know how widely available it is.

• The Adams   1 week 3 days ago

Interesting. - I had no idea. What is it infused with? I've never seen it in the stores here in TN.

• Attention   1 week 3 days ago

Incidentally, A Mouth of Grandma is my hardcore band's name.

• The Adams   1 week 3 days ago

Just an FYI here, Diabolique is an infused bourbon, so it's not replaceable. That said, if the drink works with regular bourbon, it works - though I would call this an altered recipe.

• Torino Julep   1 week 5 days ago

I would start with a teaspoon for mouthfeel and balance and add more to taste, though I agree that 1/2 oz is overkill.

• Torino Julep   1 week 5 days ago

FrogPrincess on eGullet reports that even 1/4oz of syrup is plenty and perhaps none even better.

• Big Easy Sour   2 weeks 1 day ago

When trying a new drink that calls for a full ounce of Peychaud's, I fully approve of you using someone else's. ;)

But lordy, yes... The color! If I hadn't lost interest in True Blood years ago, I might've called it the Bon Temps Sour.

• Big Easy Sour   2 weeks 2 days ago

I made it at my bar and the color got lots of stares from my guests.

• Big Easy Sour   2 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks, glad you like! The cinnamon syrup was the one part I wasn't so sure about at first; I almost kept the Trinidad's orgeat... I sipped mine pretty quickly, so I don't think it had time to warm much (heh, oops). I'll look for that extra lemoniness next time.

• Big Easy Sour   2 weeks 2 days ago

Delicious. Cinnamon was an inspired choice. Interestingly, as it warmed it got quite lemony, despite the large amounts of other strong ingredients. Lovely color too.

• Noce Americana   2 weeks 5 days ago

Would consider an absinthe rinse next time.

• Avioncito   2 weeks 5 days ago

I liked it - used Milagro Reposado and Averna instead of the Zucca - but didn't taste the tequila as much. Maybe the MIlagro isn't as assertive as the Espolon (I'm not a tequila guy, so not sure)?

• Attention   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, I updated the origin reference and noted the original recipe, with sounds dreadful to me. 25% violette will be a mouth of grandma.