• Reply to: Navy Fizz   by   6 hours 42 min ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   1 day 38 min ago

More of a Jet Pilot than a Zombie - it's pretty much literally a Jet Pilot with the Herbstura separated and the absinthe/herbsaint being used as a wash, served up. Probably my favorite flavor combo, but I do prefer it over crushed ice. Still delicious.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   1 day 22 hours ago

Make mine Dolin--hands down.Or up, if you prefer. Actually, I'd probably use Dolin blanc. Well, I did. I ate (or drank) my own words. Not bad. A tad sweet, which is what I expected, given I used blanc vermouth, but otherwise a reasonable drink--one that I rated 3.5.

Next time, just to find out how dry vermouth stacks up against blanc vermouth, I'll try it dry and let you know which I like better. I just may be surprised!

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   3 days 6 hours ago

Dolin or Noilly Prat.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   3 days 19 hours ago

Do you have a preferred vermouth (or 2) for this one?

• Reply to: The Wry Monk   by   4 days 58 min ago

One of those great cocktails to sip while listening to great jazz (e.g., Paul Desmond or Miles Davis). Very smooth; not mellow, just smooth. I used Rittenhouse rye (as I couldn't scrape up enough for the Old Overholt), but it worked like a charm.

I hesitated to make this drink because both Green Chartreuse and Benedictine can be overpowering ingredients. The Rittenhouse rye, however, kept both of them in check. The icing on the cake, so to speak, was the lemon zest--which is a must for this drink. I went a step further, and rubbed the rim of the glass with the lemon rind. It added a subtle but tasty layer to the other ingredients. I rated "The Wry Monk" at 4.5 (well deserved, I might add!).

• Reply to: Kentucky Colonel   by   5 days 2 hours ago

"Colonel Kentucky" is hereby "Private Kentucky." For me, this drink is a drink in progress. Based on the comments, I used Maker's Mark and only 1/2 oz of Benedictine, and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters. I rated the drink at 2.5. The drink was flat in taste; everything could be tasted, but there was no pizzazz. Just blah!

Had I used 3/4 oz of Benedictine, the whiskey would have been overwhelmed, unless I used an overproofed whiskey. And I would definitely use 3, not 2, dashes of orange bitters. I will try my recommendations next time around, but my thinking on this recipe is that it deserves a 3.0 at best. But, the proof (as it were} is in the...!

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   5 days 3 hours ago

I squooshed half a Meyer lemon in there, too...

• Reply to: Now Voyager   by   6 days 1 hour ago

Meh...sorry to be a downer but this didn't work for me.  I used Depaz rhum agricole, Appleton 12, Bonal, and Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole and it just felt like a bad mix.  Maybe a different run would have helped - perhaps something stronger like Smith & Cross.  IN the end it just seemed like a good idea, with some ingredients I love that nonetheless came across as somehow being "off."  Certainly not undrinkable, but not something I'd make again, or recommend.

• Reply to: Yesterday, Today and Amaro   by   1 week 28 min ago

Excellent cocktail! One omission from the original recipe is a lemon peel, expressed and discarded.

• Reply to: Paloma (Improved)   by   1 week 4 days ago

The grapefruit syrup seems to overpower the drink with sweetness. I modified the recipe: zest of one grapefruit, juice of two grapefruits, divided, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp citric acid. Simmer zest, 1/2 of grapefruit juice, water, citric acid and sugar for 15 minutes. Let cool, add the remainder of the grapefruit juice. Chill.

I have seen this called Grapefruit Cordial.

Paloma:  2 oz. silver tequila, 2 oz grapefruit cordial (above) 1 oz. Cointreau. Shake with ice, pour into a coup, top with Proseco or Champagne, garnish with an orange twist.

• Reply to: All Jacked Up   by   1 week 4 days ago

An excellent drink "All Jacked Up" is; but sweet, I think not. One person suggested reducing the sweet vermouth. I used Dolin sweet vermouth, and it was just right. Some sweet vermouth are very sweet (e.g., Cinzano). This is a drink where the brand of sweet vermouth will make a distinct difference.

Myself, I would not reduce the sweet vermouth with this drink, primarily because it would throw off the drink's balance. The drink would, I believe, have a smokier flavor, and the Fernet Branca would also, I believe, be more pronounced. As it is, everything is in its place. In short, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

• Reply to: Pencil Thin Mustache   by   1 week 5 days ago

Quick question - do the four mint leaves go into the shaker and an extra one is the garnish? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Civil Disobedience   by   1 week 6 days ago

There's nothing disobedient about this dirnk. In fact, it's very civil! So much so, I rated it 4.0.

But two cautions: 1) If you're not used to Green Chartreuse, use a "skinny" amount, as it has a strong, somewhat bitter taste; (2) Most importantly, choose your sweet vermouth carefully!. Not all sweet vermouths taste the same. For this drink, I used Dolin sweet vermouth, and it worked well. Cinzano, with its pronounced fruity flavor, might overwhelm even the Green Chartreuse. For this drink, Dolin or Vya, and perhaps Antica Formula are the sweet vermouths I would reach for first.

• Reply to: Davy Jones' Locker   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

This is a great daiquiri variation!

• Reply to: True Syrum   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

"True Serum" is a solid drink, but only after some modifications. Using the basic recipe, I reduced the Green Chartreuse to 1/2 oz because it can easily overpower other ingredients. I also reduced the lime juice to 1/2 oz for the same reason. I left the Cointreau at 3/4 oz.

The drink was not as balanced in taste as I wanted, so I floated some Green Chartreuse (about 1/4 oz) on top, and that was the magic fix.

Were I to make this drink again, I would be tempted to use 2 oz of rye, but then I like a strong drink--especially with a good rye. I would also use a "tad" less lime (I am not one to use as much lime or lemon juice as a recipe calls for. I usually reduce the amount by half, and add more if I think it needs it). This is a safety precaution that has saved me from otherwise pitching a drink. It's a good practice to get into.

With the modifications I made, I rated this drink at 4.0.

• Reply to: Coffee & Cigarettes   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Very good, but it came off as a whole lot of coffee and not much cigarette for me, even with Laphroaig. Using Talisker Storm as written + ¼ oz Ardbeg 10 solved it nicely! It's a solid base formula regardless, I'm looking forward to more experiments with the drink.

• Reply to: La Llorona   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Alchemy.

• Reply to: Williams Fizz   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

I'm shocked and disappointed I was the first one to rate this: it's friggin' delicious.

• Reply to: Herban Botanist   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Surprisingly smooth. Lacking St. George Botanivore gin, I resorted (lol) to St. George's Terroir gin, which is full-flavored, to put it mildly (but I love it!). Everything fell into place from there, including the very last of my Cocchi Americano--but it went to a good cause.

The outcome: I couldn't ask for a more tasteful, enjoyable before dinner (or afternoon) drink. This is one drink that I heartily recommend to gin (and even non-gin) lovers. I rated this libation 4.5.

• Reply to: Rattlesnake   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Note that Beretta seems to have just replaced the classic sweetener with maple syrup, absinthe with Peychaud's, and retained the name of a classic drink: the original may be found in the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book.

• Reply to: Pompadour   by   4 weeks 3 hours ago

I made this with Hardy Pineau and with Dusquene Rhum Agricole Blanc (100 proof). Will try it next with an aged Agricole but this balanced out perfectly for me.  Lean and even a little dry, I would say my result here with the Blanc is good enough that I would suggest others try it -- especially anyone who finds the original too sweet.

• Reply to: Improved Aviation   by   4 weeks 23 hours ago

Excellent variation! I made it with Vedrenne Violette Parfait Amour instead of Bitter Truth's creme de violette and it tasted much better and more balanced than traditional recipes. The color was nice sky blue too.

• Reply to: The Last Stand   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

This is also fantastic with yellow chartreuse, a'la reddit.

• Reply to: Fear & Whiskey   by   1 month 23 hours ago

There's nothing to fear with this drink. The "Fear & Whiskey" (if you use the right rye) is absolutely delightful. I used a rye light in taste, but with wonderful overtones--10 year Whistle Pig. I was afraid that using a rye like Rittenhouse (which I frequently use in drinks calling for rye) would overwhelm the Braulio. The Whistle Pig did not; both came through, loud and clear.

The "Fear & Whiskey" is a wonderful before-dinner drink; some might even say after-dinner also. Regardless, I rated this libation at 4.5.

But make sure you use Whistle Pig or Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (or any other rye that is light in its taste and overtones); doing otherwise MAY result is a less satisfying drink.