• Frontier Psychiatrist   12 hours 20 min ago

Perhaps this should be served in a coconut, no?

• Bitter Elder   1 day 6 hours ago

Oh, fellas and ladies...this is one hellllllllllluvvva drink! Did it with Bombay, half Aperol half Campari. Awesome color, fantastic flava!

We have a restaurant here in Chicago called Parsons, they specialize in fried chicken and fish, and feature a totally fantastic Frozen Negroni. I'ma ask them if they'd consider putting a batch of these through their frosty machine! It'd be perfect.

• Frontier Psychiatrist   1 day 11 hours ago

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!

• Frontier Psychiatrist   1 day 12 hours ago

This boy needs therapy.

• Tombstone   5 days 8 hours ago

Another good one, Rafa. Ilegal is about the best mezcal I can get here. It's not bad by any means, but I bet the drink is spectacular with a really good one.

• Paper Mill   6 days 7 hours ago

Moderated this slightly - specified Cynar as the Amaro, specified brand of lemon bitters.

Zachary

• Tombstone   1 week 3 hours ago

Nice! This has all my favorite things. I didn't have a Laphroaig like Scotch. Used Aberlour A'Bunadh which is all carmel, no smoke, but that tasted really good too.

• Campari Swizzle   1 week 1 day ago

I sub'd Punt e Mes 3:1 with (rather oxidized) red wine for the chinato to good effect. Sensational cocktail.

• Trick Dog's Scorpio   1 week 1 day ago

Updated with proper recipe.

• Shattered Glasser   1 week 3 days ago

Name updated from "Airbag" to how it appears in the Death & Co book, a nod to Avery Glasser, who inspired the drink.

• Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   1 week 5 days ago

What if you're in the southern hemisphere?

• Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   1 week 6 days ago

PDT Cocktail uses the same recipe (mostly) except for upping the Cherry Heering to 1/2 oz (1 Tbl or 3 tsp).

I also like adding a dash of bitters, in particular The Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas bitters.

• Paloma   2 weeks 9 hours ago

We go both ways on this one, depending on what we have on hand

2 oz Blanco tequila
    2 oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice
    ½ oz Agave Nectar
    1½ oz Club soda

OR

2 oz Blanco tequila
    3½ oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice

• Stinger   2 weeks 10 hours ago

I usually use a 3-to-1 ratio of cognac to Crème de Menthe, such as 2 1/4 oz Cognac to 3/4 oz of Crème de Menthe.

• I Am... I Said   2 weeks 3 days ago

I feel like this would be quite refreshing on a hot August night.

• Maple Old Fashioned   2 weeks 3 days ago

I make a variation of this with Cornelius Applejack, which is aged in ex-bourbon barrels lending it more of a whiskey profile than a brandy one. Works really well with the maple syrup.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   2 weeks 4 days ago

That's very close to the recipe I use:

1 oz Jamaican dark rum (Apple Estate V/X or Reserve or 12 yr OR Smith & Cross)
    1 oz Rhum agricole (at least somewhat aged)
    1 oz Lime juice
    1⁄2 oz Curacao (Creole Shrubb OR Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao)
    1⁄2 oz Orgeat
    1 tsp Simple syrup (made from turbinado or other raw/unrefined sugar, if possible)
    1 spg Mint (as garnish)

Optional: 1⁄2 oz float of high-proof dark rum

A touch more lime juice, more orgeat, and less sugar syrup than the posted recipe, with an optional high-proof float.

• Attorney Privilege   2 weeks 4 days ago

Used Hella bitters instead of Angostura. If it works for an Old Fashioned...?

• Penicillin   2 weeks 5 days ago

The source you can use is Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app. I know that the recipe in the app calls for shaking all ingredients, including the Islay scotch, but I've had this drink at Milk&Honey and they definitely use it as a float. It's also garnished with a candied or fresh piece of ginger. Thanks!

• Penicillin   2 weeks 5 days ago

Fransos,

Do you have a source for that? If so, I can rewrite the drink, but considering it's a major shift, I'd like to be able to link to something.

Zachary

• Penicillin   2 weeks 5 days ago

It must be said that the sweetener spec in the original is a bit different, and this is crucial for making this drink as it was intended to be. It's supposed to be a sweetened ginger juice and honey syrup(3:1 honey to water) combined in equal parts(3/8 oz of each) to make a 3/4 oz of sweet. The sweetened ginger juice is 4 parts fresh ginger juice to 3 parts granulated white sugar, stirred to make a syrup. The Islay scotch shall be used as a float on top to give a smoky nose and should not be shaken with the rest of the ingredients. The idea is to give the impression of a smoky drink, but when you sip it it's actually more mellow.

• Oaxaca Old Fashioned   2 weeks 6 days ago

So they list it without mole bitters? I don't have the book...

• Gypsy Cocktail   3 weeks 9 hours ago

Made this and thought it was disgusting--too sweet and no complexity. Added maybe a little less than an ounce of bourbon to one and rye to the other and it was actually pretty good.

• Bitter Mai Tai   3 weeks 13 hours ago

A party hit! Just the right amount of bitter from the campari. I subbed out the curaçao with grand marnier.

• Rusty Nail   3 weeks 19 hours ago

I reduced the scotch from 2-1/2 to 2 oz to make a more reasonably-sized drink. Robert Hess calls for 1-1/2, but I think that works for a bar where the amount of spirit is controlled. 2-1/2 oz into the mixing glass should be sufficient. I do like the idea of a lemon twist to accent the honey in the Drambuie and a dash of Angostura for complexity.