<br />
    <p>
    This "Raging Bull" does not rage; it goes down oh so smoothly. By itself, Aquavit does not have a pleasant taste, but I knew from experience, tastes can be decieving. I used three top shelf ingredients (plus a surprise ingredient) to make this drink. Cabo Wabo anejo tequila, Linie Aquavit, and Averna, plus the orange zest made up the libation. It was great, with no one ingredient overwhelming the others. It went down very easily and smoothly.

But, on a hunch I added one other ingredient (my surprise ingredient). I added a dash of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole, which added subtle smoothness and depth. There was no chocolate overtone, but an additional dash would probably give it. With or without the bitters, I found this to be a great drink, and one I rated 4.5. Drink up, but drive responsibly. </p>

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   1 day 7 hours ago

Curated applejack to Laird's 7.5 yo apple brandy as per source reference.

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   1 day 18 hours ago

Quite thin and 'hot'. One bsp of simple syrup helps a lot.

• Reply to: Joy Division   by   2 days 3 hours ago

Accidentally made it without adding the vermouth. Made it again with the vermouth, and actually prefer it without. Bright, tight, herbaceous. Split the gin between Beefeater and Botanist.

• Reply to: Roycroft Cocktail   by   2 days 21 hours ago

Good, but the Chartreuse is a little overwhelming.

Upping the rye to 45ml and cutting the Chartreuse in half was a nice improvement.

• Reply to: Yankee Skipper   by   3 days 23 min ago

Lately, I've seen a number of libations posted by Craig E, many which intrigued me. Yankee Skipper was one; so using top shelf ingredients, I put it together. I used Bulleit rye, Vya sweet vermouth, Smith & Cross rum, and Picon Amer. What I expected and what I tasted were two different animals.

What I expected was a somewhat smooth tasting cocktail with a predominant rum taste; what I tasted was a clash of rye and rum, with no taste of the Picon Amer. Specifying the rye and sweet vermouth may help; different brands of rye and sweet vermouth have their own characteristic tastes, and may or may not blend well with Smith and Cross rum.

That leads to my next suggestion: use a smoother rum, such as a Barbados or Haiti rum. I did use an orange twist, which helped reduce the sharp, unpleasant taste of the original recipe. Perhaps I missed the boat on this one; only others can say yea or nay. As is, I rate it as 2.5, and look at the Yankee Skipper as a work in progress.

• Reply to: Purgatory   by   4 days 2 hours ago

Like the 1st commentor, I, too, prefer a 3 oz cocktail rather than a 4 oz one. However, I made "Purgatory" using the given recipe because my mind said "yes, this will be a great drink." And it is, although the combination of Benedictine and Green Chartruse overshadow the Rittenhouse Rye--which should be no surprise. If I were to reduce the size of this drink, I would start by reducing each ingredient by 1/4 oz, and adjusting according to taste. But do keep the lemon twist! The challenge when reducing the size of this drink is to keep a balance of the ingredients' taste, but also, if possible, to bring out the rye, so that it is more prominent.

• Reply to: White Lion   by   4 days 21 hours ago

I curated this - a little googling pegged it as an Embury drink so I removed the bitters and changed lemon (from the OP submission) to lime and jiggled the ratio a bit to conform to the book. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Royal Bermuda Yacht Club   by   5 days 6 hours ago

Alternate Recipe via PUNCH:

• 1 1/2 ounces rum (preferably El Dorado 5 Year)
    • 1/2 ounce falernum
    • 1/4 ounce orange curacao (preferably Pierre Ferrand)
    • 3/4 ounce lime juice
  • Reply to: Domaine de Canton   by   1 week 1 day ago

Here's another one: The Witch's Word. Saw it on http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. It combines Domaine de Canton with Strega.... delicious !!!

• Reply to: Carolina Sundress   by   1 week 1 day ago

Subbed Atsby Armadillo Cake vermouth for the Vya. Outstanding!

• Reply to: The Business   by   1 week 3 days ago

Curated this - added creator, updated the source cite (the previous was a bad link). Corrected honey syrup recipe, corrected amount of honey syrup. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Grand Autumn   by   1 week 3 days ago

Really nice drink for a beautiful spring day in San Francisco. And I don't even like ginger beer all that much...thanks for sharing....

• Reply to: The Business   by   1 week 3 days ago

Regarding Cocktails (p. 85) credits Sasha Petraske for this drink (with 3/4oz honey syrup).

• Reply to: Sangre y Arena   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Almost feel like giving it 2.5, if it was possible.  There's definitely the possibility for an excellent cocktail here - the mezcal and cherry heering are an odd pair but they kind've work.  Heering tends to be so sweet and overpowering, especially with blended scotch in the original Blood and Sand, but mezcal has the strength of flavor to really stand up to it better.  And yet...something's not quite reight here.  It's still a little too sweet.  Not sure what the answer is, but it just seems like it could be tweaked and optimized.  As it stands, it's still a perfectly tasty and interesting drink, and well worth making if you have the ingredients.

• Reply to: Cucumber Calypso   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

This is a great cocktail, but I recommend it on the rocks. It's easier to enjoy for newcomers to Campari, and anyway the change in taste as it dilutes is really interesting and enjoyable.

• Reply to: A Royal Union   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Quite tasty, but I'd cut the bitters to one dash, otherwise it overwhelms the other ingredients.

• Reply to: Old Spanish   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

I love sherry based cocktails and this is a winner.  I tried it with both regular cynar and cynar 70 and prefer the former, but the latter is an option for those who prefer drier cocktails or with a sweeter sherry.  I used lustau sherry and clear creek cassis.

• Reply to: Varnish   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Can confirm: It's nice with Islay whisky, as Dan suggested. I've tried it with both Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

• Reply to: The Little Sparrow   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Really tasty

• Reply to: A Farewell to Hemingway   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

I had a bottle of kirsch of finish and  this was a good choice to experiment with.  I used maurin quina and ginger ale in place of the syrup/soda.  Very refreshing and drinkable but still interesting with the cherry brandy.

• Reply to: Strega   by   3 weeks 4 days ago

I also ran into this delicious Strega cocktail - The Witch's Word: http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. I think Strega and Domaine de Canton go great together!

• Reply to: Elysium Fizz   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

The problem with grapefruit juice is that it isn't bitter enough. I subbed for 1/2 ounce of ea. grapefruit and lime juice.

• Reply to: Amaro Amore   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Not a big fan (little too sweet) not bad though.