• Reply to: Jamaican Art   by   22 hours 43 min ago

No guiding comments, no ratings, and no true gold rum. The odds were against me, but I decided to give "Jamacian Art" a try, mostly because the recipe is simple and straightforward. Besides, I have so many rums, I was able to come up with a rum that approximated a gold rum, while in truth it was a shade or so darker--I chose Mount Gay Eclipse, a Barbados rum that is quite smooth and full tasting. The rum notes come through, but the cynar keeps the rum from overwhelming everything, and the Cardaman bitters adds a complementary taste, giving the cocktail a fuller, rounder taste.

When all is said and done, I rate this cocktail between 3.5 and 4.0. I will be buying a bottle of Bacardi Gold to try the "Jamacian Art" with a true gold rum. I may find the taste to be different; who knows? A sidenote: I used a small swatch of orange, expressed its oil, and then dropped the orange peel into the drink. A nice garnish. I would not use a large swatch, resulting in a large amount of expressed oil. I think doing so would unbalance the various flavors inherent in this otherwise tasty drink.

• Reply to: Roysty Nail   by   1 day 20 hours ago

I just had to try the "Roysty Nail:" A Rob Roy is one of my favorite before dinner drinks, and a Rusty Nail is one of my favorite evening cocktails. I must say that I was somewhat surprised how easily the drink went down--very smooth, no burn. On the downside, there was no outstanding notes or flavors, save from the Drambuie. For the blended Scotch I used Famous Grouse and for the Sweet Vermouth I used Antica Formula. I thought for sure the resulting drink would have more distictive notes given the sweet vermouth and Scotch, but I think the Drambuie overwhelms the other ingredients. As is, I rate the "Roysty Nail" between 3.0-3.5.

I'm going to make this cocktail again, but using different ingredients: (1) I may use a single malt Scotch so that it is more pronounced, (2) one person wondered if Punt e Mes might work for the sweet vermouth, so I will try it, and (3) I read on the Internet that Cocchi Americano can be used in place of a sweet vermouth. Finally, there is always Cinzano Rosso, which has a pronounced fruity flavor, which may overcome the blandness of the drink.

With some experimentation, I may get this drink into the 4.0 range, but for now, the Roysty Nail is a pleasant but somewhat bland drink, that has the potential to be a much better and more satisfying cocktail than it currently is.

• Reply to: Root of All Evil   by   1 week 2 days ago

An interesting, complex drink with a lot going on taste-wise. I carefully reviewed the comments made about the drink before I made it. Based on my experiences with each of the ingredients, I understood why the comments were made and agreed with them. I wondered only about Fernet Branca; in some drinks it can overpower the other ingredients and a smaller amount needs to be used, but with other cocktails the Fernet Branca seems right at home, and no change in its amount needs to be made. In this case I started off with Elijah Craig bourbon (97 proof) My other choices were Jim Beam Black label (87 proof) and Woodford Reserve (90 proof) I would not want to go over 95 proof, as I think something like Booker's at 127 proof would simply overwhelm the other ingredients--and maybe the drinker! Then, as was suggested by several, I used 1/2 oz Grand Marnier, 1/4 oz Fernet Branca, 1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur, 2 ds Regans' orangs bitters, and a good-sized orangs swath to exprss the oils.

My results:  The final cocktail, with its adjustments, was very tasty and balanced. There were two changes that I made--which were for the better. First, I added just a few additional drops of Maraschino Liqueur, so that the total amount (from the first and second amounts) equaled a "fat" 1/4 oz. The need for the second change surprised me: I had to add a few more drops of Fernet Branca, which smoothed out both the Grand Marnier and the Maraschino Liqueur, and provided a better balance of overall tastes among the ingredients.In short, between what I originally added of Fernet Branca and what I added later, was the equivalent of a "fat" 1/4 oz.

My only other caveat is that Grand Marnier and Cointreau are not the same, and the equivalent amount may result in a different taste. This is because Grand Marnier has a Cognac base, whereas Cointreau does not.

In summary:  Based on the comments made by others and my experience with the recipe for the "Root of All Evil," I suggest the following for its recipe:

2 oz of a high-proof (about 90 proof) Bourbon, 1/2 oz Grand Marnier (if using Cointreau, adjust to taste), a "fat" 1/4 oz Fernet Branca (adjust to taste), a "fat" 1/4 oz Maraschino liqueuer (adjust to taste), 2 ds Regans' orange bitters, and a wide orange swatch (express the oil and drop in cocktail) I rate this cocktail between 4.0 and 4.5.

• Reply to: Cassis de Dijon   by   1 week 2 days ago

Wow, this is darn good. I kinda wish it was a little more mustardy, even.

• Reply to: The Right Way   by   1 week 3 days ago

This was actually my first cocktail using my first bottle of Cherry Heering. Delicious Vieux Carré variation. Will make again.

• Reply to: The Departed   by   1 week 3 days ago

Substituted wildly: Contralto Bitter, Pyrat XO, Foro amaro, Vida, Peychaud's and a dash of Regans' Orange. Interesting patten. Needs more experimentation.

Round two, as written, but with El Dorado 15. Very nice, but dramatically improved with 1/2 oz dry vermouth. I used Dolin.

• Reply to: Bitter Sunday Afternoon   by   1 week 4 days ago

This drink surprises me; I mean with several questions about--are these really the right amounts? There's enough liquid in this drink to quench a thirsty horse! The the answer comes back--kind of--yes, they've been curated; it's just a big drink, so pour it into a double or triple Old Fashioned cold glass!

Despite the affirmative answer as to the proportions, apparently nobody has tried to make this mountainous drink. So... The first thing I did was to look at the ingredients, as well as the amount of each ingredient, in an effort to decide when would this drink be imbibed. I decided probably late afternoon (especially in warm weather, like from late spring to early fall), and/or before dinner. With that in mind, I changed the cocktail to the following:
    1 1/2 oz gin (use either The Botanist or Tanqueray's Bloomsbury)
    2 oz Cocchi Americano
    1 oz Gran Classico
    1 oz Salers
    Lemon oil espressed atop the drink's surface, and drop the peel in.

Reducing each liquid ingredient by half will result in a 2 3/4 oz cocktail, which is consistent with what most people drink these days.

After doing a lot of sipping and some cogitating on the resultat drink, I broke down and rated it 4.0. One more sip (which wasn't there), and I would have rated it 4.5 Regardless it was a semi-sweet drink (a la Cocchi Americano) with a slight bitter taste from the Gran Classico and the Salers. It all came together to make a very delicious, satisfying drink (even though it was 9:30 PM.)

The resulting cocktail is exactly as I envisioned it: one (maybe two) to be consumed on a lazy, hazy, crazy day of summer or as a before dinner drink. There's a lot of aperitif in the "Bitter Sunday Afternoon." The next time I make this cocktail, I will make the cocktail as follows (and call it "Better Sunday Afternoon" for obvious reasons)
    1 1/2 oz gin (The Botanist or Tanqueray's Bloomsbury) (add up to 1/2 oz per your taste) (Some may want only 1 oz)
    1 1/2 oz Cocchi Americao (1 oz may suffice for many)
    1/2 oz Salers (not Suze) (increase to 1 oz, per your taste)
    1 oz Gran Classico
    Lemon zest espressed on the cocktails surface after the
    cocktail has been stirred and strained into an Old Fashioned glass

Reducing each liquid ingredient by half will result in a 2 1/2 oz cocktail. It will be larger if any ingredient (e.g., gin) is increased.

I would like to hear from others, as they experiment with this cocktail. For example, maybe using I oz for each ingredient will make for a good cocktail; or maybe Salers isn't necessary, etc.
    Please experiment and write back as to your results and how you rate them. This cocktail can be made in many different ways, and most taste great!

<br />
    Somehow, the name "Tooth & Nail" doesn't quite describe this drink, because it's overall taste is somewhat soft & sweet. Maybe that should be its name. I didn't have Macallan 12, but I did have Glenlivet 12, also a Speyside scotch. I also had Amer Picon (I purchased it by mail from England for a dear penny). But I would not rate this drink at 5.0, as one person did. After a lot thought and many sips, I rated the "Tooth & Tail" somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5.

Why? First, the whisky was overwhelmed by the Drambuie and (believe it or not) the Peach bitters. The Cynar probably had some, but not much, responsibility. The drink definitely has a sweetness to it, but it's not cloy. The Amer Picon and the peach bitters, and to some extent the Drambuie, were the bad boys here. Only a slight bitterness, from the Cynar no doubt.

My overall thoughts about the "Tooth & Tail?" It's a middling Scotch cocktail that needs some changes to bring out its better qualities. My first suggestion is to use only one dash of peach bitters. I would reduce the Dambuie slightly, and the Cynar, too. The Amer Picon --maybe make it two barspoons. And I would definitly up the Scotch to 2 1/2 oz. Now that I've suggested some significant changes, I will make them and see if there is any improvement in the "Tooth & Tail" cocktail. If not, then I leave it to others to improve this cocktail--if it can be improved. </p>

• Reply to: Monte Carlo   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

One of my favorites.  Note that this cocktail seems to have originated in David Embury’s The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks (1948), though he calls for a bit less rye and for Ango instead of Peychaud's. The "created by" on this page refers to the columnist for this particular incarnation.

• Reply to: Bread & Wine   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Lacking the proper scotch ... but still I expected more of a sherry cocktail competition winner.

• Reply to: Sunset Flip   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Glad you liked it!

• Reply to: 5th Amendment   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Promising. I'll try again but with .25oz (or less) falernum.

• Reply to: Sunset Flip   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

I subbed Glenfiddich as I didn't have Speyside, and this tastes amazing. Thanks!

• Reply to: Midnight Ride   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

A bit too sweet for me. If I make it again I might sub Campari for the Aperol or Punt e Mes for the Antica.

• Reply to: Flannel & Rye   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this slightly: Changed 1/4 oz allspice dram to 1 rinse of allspice dram to conform with the instructions. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 5th Amendment   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Used one dash orange and one dash peach bitters, for lack of the proper bitters.

• Reply to: Bitter Medicine   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

This is quite fun, but you have to like Fernet. It would be interesting to try it with Unicum, which I find similar.
    Edited, two days later, to add: yep, very good with Unicum!

• Reply to: Apple cider   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

This may not be feasible, but it would be nice if there was a way to distinguish between the two types of apple cider in the recipes. In many, its hard to decipher wether the creator intended to use "sweet cider" or "hard cider".

• Reply to: Pen Pal   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

<br />A combined rating of 4.5 by three people, but no comments. I wondered why, and that made me decide to try "New Pal." I must admit that I was somewhat hesitant because I'm not a big fan of dry vermouth. But, what the hell, I'm using Dolin dry vermouth and Wild Turkey rye (both topshelf), along with my ol' standby, Aperol.

Putting the drink together was easy and quick and when I took that first sip, I was pleasantly surprised at how balanced the drink tasted--how pleasantly the Aperol held the dry vermouth in check, and how adeptly the dry vermouth still allowed just the right amount of Aperol's sweetness to come through. And, yes, there was the rye in the background, but not too far back. A very pleasant drink that I would drink again. I rated this drink at a 4.0. But I'm still wondering--why the high ratings but no comments.

• Reply to: Hugo Montenegro   by   3 weeks 2 hours ago

Have you ever had one of those nights where you wanted a real satisfying cocktail, but you just couldn't think of it or find it in your Kindred Cocktails cocktail book? NOTHING really appealed to you? Well, of course you have. We all have! That's why Kindred Cocktails is so important to you and to me. And guess what? I happened upon, in Kindred Cocktails, the drink that just may do on one of those "nothing will do" nights. It's the "Hugo Montenegro."

I was having one of those "nothing will do" nights, when I stumbled upon the "Hugo Montenegro." I usually have just one drink a night, but things changed upon my first sip of the "Hugo Montenegro." About 90 minutes later I had my second one, which went down oh so quickly, and with great satisfaction.

It's a simple drink to make. Like most drinks in the Negroni family, there is an equal amount of each ingredient. I know how each ingredient in the "Hugo Montenegro" tastes on its own; but this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So, rather than try to describe how this superb drink tastes, I will simply urge you to try it. Yes, its taste is complex; somewhat bitter, and somewhat sweet. And no particular taste overwhelms another (unless you use a Silver Tequila, which is bitter): I suggest a Reposado or Añejo style tequila to minimize that problem.

I hope I've twieaked your interest in this lovely, thirst-quenching drink. Whether you like it or not, make a comment. And if there's a drink you find more thirst-quenching and satisfying, name it and give the recipe if it's not listed in Kindred Cocktails. Sharing is one of the great things I like about Kindred Cocktails. Without it, Kindred Cocktails would be just another mixology website.</p>

• Reply to: Centaur   by   3 weeks 16 hours ago

Great cocktail

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Reminds me of the Monte Carlo. Nice!

• Reply to: Negroni (Katie Loeb)   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

<br /> Still a Negroni with the predictable Campari bitterness. Nevertheless, the Katie Loeb Negroni is a refreshing variation of the traditional Negroni, made possible by the switch to Plymouth gin. One wouldn't think that switching from the standard Gin, such as Tangqueray, to Plymouth Gin would make much difference. But it does because Plymouth Gin is not as dry as your standard gin and it has a somewhat more "earthy" feel. Moreover, Plymouth Gin has a noticably softer juniper flavour. If you haven't tried the Katie Loeb Negroni, thinking it's just more of the same, I say try it; you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Reply to: Slope   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this - because there was some confusion as to the proportions of this drink, I asked Julie Reiner and she sent me a picture of the recipe (which must be from The Craft Cocktail Party). Updated this to the specified brands - she's specific about them, changed 1 dash of Angostura to 2. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 100-Year-Old Cigar   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

A nice balance of complex flavors, eminently drinkable.