Native rum and plain shrub with seltz over ice, most refreshing in hot weather.
|2||oz||Rum, Ragged Mountain (Any pot still rum is fine, American even better.)|
|1||oz||Plain shrub (Homemade, any fruit shrub good too.)|
|2||ds||Bitters, Bittermens Burlesque (Any fruit or spice based bitters would do.)|
Pour ingredients over ice in highball, top with seltzer, stir lightly.
While putting up a batch of cherry shrub, I had some extra shrub base (1 cup demarara sugar, 1 cup rice vinegar, 1 cup cider vinegar) and I was thirsty. American pot still rum and shrub seem to have an affinity, and the effect is tart and utterly refreshing. This seems like a modern version of a Colonial thirst quencher, hence the sappy name. Try with fruit shrubs and different bitters.
Combined and gulped thirstily à la minute on a hot day in June, 2011.
- Billy Dawson's Punch c.1863 — Dominican Rum, Cognac, Stout, Batavia Arrack, Water, Demerara sugar, Lemon juice, Lemon, Nutmeg
- Fresca — Tequila, Herbal liqueur, Watermelon, Lime juice
- Rum Row Old Fashioned — Demerara Rum, Blended rum, Bitters, Sugar, Water, Orange peel
- Immigrant Punk — Tequila, Sweet vermouth, Grapefruit juice, Agave syrup
- Her Majesty's Pearl — Rhum Agricole, Elderflower liqueur, Cognac, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Rose water
- Verde Temprano — Reposado Tequila, Dry vermouth, Orange liqueur, Celery bitters, Kiwi shrub
- Gruff and Rumble — Rum, Orange liqueur, Branca Menta, Bitters, Lime juice
- Navy Grog — Demerara Rum, Dark rum, Light rum, Soda water, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Honey
- Swamp Zombie — Cachaça, Light rum, Melon liqueur, Falernum, Pastis, Bitters, Lime juice, Grapefruit juice, Simple syrup, Mint
- Dolores no.3 — Cachaça, Islay Scotch, Aromatized wine, Crème de Figue, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon peel, Absinthe