Ye Olde Quencher
Native rum and plain shrub with seltz over ice, most refreshing in hot weather.
Pour ingredients over ice in highball, top with seltzer, stir lightly.
While putting up a batch of cherry shrub, I had some extra shrub base (1 cup demarara sugar, 1 cup rice vinegar, 1 cup cider vinegar) and I was thirsty. American pot still rum and shrub seem to have an affinity, and the effect is tart and utterly refreshing. This seems like a modern version of a Colonial thirst quencher, hence the sappy name. Try with fruit shrubs and different bitters.
Combined and gulped thirstily à la minute on a hot day in June, 2011.
|Created & posted by||Rob Marais on 06/18/2011|
- Gingerbread Man — Rum, Ginger liqueur, Bitters, Egg white, Molasses syrup, Cinnamon
- Daiquiri-73 — Rum, Bitters, Egg white, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Honey syrup, Lime
- But We Don't Want The Irish — Rum, Soda water, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- December Morn — Rum, Apple brandy, Egg white, Grenadine, Lemon juice, Cinnamon
- Barnes Stormer — Rum, Apple brandy, Bitters, Soda water, Ginger syrup, Lemon juice, Sorel liqueur
- Old Cuban — Rum, Champagne, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Mint
- 32 Down — Rum, Whiskey, Bitters, Ginger ale
- The Graduate — Sweet vermouth, Blended Scotch, Curaçao, Tonic water
- Frequent Flier — Rum, Allspice Dram, Cynar, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Orange bitters
- Old Fashioned (Late 20th Century) — Bourbon, Bitters, Soda water, Brandied cherry, Sugar, Orange bitters, Orange peel