|1||oz||Dry vermouth, Dolin (or Noilly Prat)|
|2||ds||Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters|
Stir with ice in a mixing glass and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
I first tried this cocktail at the Varnish in Los Angeles. Nice and clean with that spicy, herbal influence from the Benedictine.
There are two versions of the Poet's Dream floating around the other calls for equal parts gin, vermouth, and Bénédictine. This modification is from a 1934 English drink book, the kind that rounds up recipes from everybody else's books and prints them without credit.
- Fairbank Cocktail — Gin, Dry vermouth, Crème de Noyaux, Orange bitters
- Grey Lady — Gin, Dry vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange bitters, Crème de Violette, Lemon peel
- Girly-O Martini — Gin, Dry vermouth, Cherry Liqueur, Orange bitters, Lemon peel
- Jupiter Cocktail — Gin, Dry vermouth, Parfait Amour, Orange juice
- Fluent French — Gin, Dry vermouth, Lavender Liqueur, Celery bitters
- Merry Widow — Gin, Dry vermouth, Bénédictine, Bitters, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- Darkside — Gin, Chinato, Peychaud's Bitters
- Freeside — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Caramelized Ramp Bitters, Cucumber, Lemon peel, Dill
- Joy Division — Gin, Dry vermouth, Triple sec, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- The Eyrie — Gin, Dry vermouth, Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Herbal liqueur, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel