Ides of March
An aperitivo for wintertime sipping, when blood oranges are in season
Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish
To make blood orange syrup: Mix 2 cups blood orange juice, 6 tablespoons sugar, and 1 tablespoon grated blood orange peel. Stir all ingredients in heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until syrup is reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate. Use within a few days of making.
This drink was inspired by the Caesar (bourbon and Campari). An earlier version included blood orange juice and grenadine, but the substitution of blood orange syrup provides the necessary sweetness and eliminates the need for grenadine.
|Created & posted by||Michael Bounds on 02/17/2014|
From other users
My second use of Aperol, better than first use. Might due w/more lemon juice.
- Paper Trail — Bourbon, Aperol, Gentian liqueur, Grapefruit peel
- Sunday Morning — Rye, Campari, Grapefruit bitters, Tea, Grapefruit juice, Green tea, Vanilla syrup, Grapefruit peel
- Corpse Defiler #2 — Scotch, Amaro, Aromatized wine, Lemon juice, Herbal liqueur
- Enrico Palazzo — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Aperol, Suze, Grapefruit peel
- Paper Chase — Rye, Aperol, Bonal Gentiane Quina
- Satan's Circus — Rye, Campari, Cherry Liqueur, Lemon juice
- Rhubarb and Rye — Rye, Aperol, Rhubarb bitters, Lemon zest, Lemon juice
- Philabuster — Rye, Aperol, Cynar, Fernet Branca, Grapefruit bitters, Aromatized wine, Grapefruit peel
- The Great Silence — Rye, Aperol, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Lime juice
- Southbound — Tequila, Aperol, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit juice, Agave syrup, Rosemary