The wierd terpene marriage of grapefruit and Douglas fir eau de vie.
|1 1⁄2||oz||Gin, Beefeater|
|1⁄2||oz||Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Clear Creek|
|1||bsp||Orange liqueur, Cointreau|
Build over ice in lowball, pour into mixing glass and back to combine. Serve on rocks.
Any balanced London dry will work. Fresh juice is especially important in this drink.
On 12/29/10, having received a bottle of Douglas fir eau de vie for Christmas, I had no idea how to mix with it. Then I remembered that Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking described the terpenes in grapefruit being similar to those of evergreens.
- The Hemingway — Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Lime
- Antibes — Gin, Bénédictine, Grapefruit juice, Orange
- Grapefruit Flower — Gin, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Grapefruit peel
- Pretty Bird — Gin, Orange liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Grenadine, Cinnamon syrup
- Maiden's Prayer — Gin, Triple sec, Orange juice, Lemon juice
- Salty Dog — Gin, Grapefruit juice, Lime
- Dusty Tail — Gin, Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Bitters, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Cotton Club — Gin, Elderflower liqueur, Sorel liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Lemon juice
- Vespa Jockey — Gin, Tuaca, Campari, Lemon peel