|2 1⁄2||oz||Jamaican rum (dark, or sub Martinique)|
|1⁄4||oz||Herbal liqueur, Pernod (or Herbsaint)|
|1||oz||Club soda (to top)|
Add everything over crushed ice in a shaker. Cut lime in half, juice it into the shaker, drop in shells. Shake and pour unstrained into a 12 ounce chimney glass. Top with club soda.
Ok, first: Vic calls this a punch. Second, I made this with an ounce of Plantation Jamaica 98 and 1.5 oz of St. James Hors d'Age - Vic probably had access to good rum. Third, I'm guessing this is a small lime. Fourth, it's sort of non-descript. Absinthe dominates.
There really was a Doctor Funk, who was famous in the South Pacific whose "fame has spread, not as a healer, but as a dram decocter...". Evidently the original was a "stiff drink of absinthe with lemonade or limeade". Frederic O'Brien, "White Shadows in the South Seas", 1920, pg. 171
From other users
- The comments in Notes pretty much nail it.
- One Night — Speyside Scotch, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Egg white, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Violet water
- East Coast Tommy Margarita — Tequila, Bitters, Lime juice, Agave syrup
- Easy Tiger — Tequila, Lime juice, Honey, Ginger
- You Only Live Twice — Rye, Curaçao, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Absinthe, Lemon juice, Orange peel
- Smoked Margarita — Reposado Tequila, Orange liqueur, Whiskey, Simple syrup, Lemon juice, Lime juice, Salt
- Lazy Bear — Jamaican rum, Rye, Bitters, Honey syrup, Lime juice
- Boston Apothecary — Rye, Kirschwasser, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon juice, Sugar
- Castle Habour Special — Rum, Light rum, Lime juice, Grenadine, Pineapple
- The S.O.S. — Light rum, Aperol, Lime juice, Maple syrup, Club soda
- The Culebra Cocktail — Light rum, Sweet vermouth, Pomegranate Liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Lime juice, Simple syrup