Doctor Funk (Trader Vic)
Jamaican rum, Club soda, Lime, Lemon juice, Herbal liqueur, Grenadine, Sugar
Add everything over crushed ice in a shaker. Cut lime in half, juice it into the shaker, drop in shells. Shake and pour unstrained into a 12 ounce chimney glass. Top with club soda.
Ok, first: Vic calls this a punch. Second, I made this with an ounce of Plantation Jamaica 98 and 1.5 oz of St. James Hors d'Age - Vic probably had access to good rum. Third, I'm guessing this is a small lime. Fourth, it's sort of non-descript. Absinthe dominates.
There really was a Doctor Funk, who was famous in the South Pacific whose "fame has spread, not as a healer, but as a dram decocter...". Evidently the original was a "stiff drink of absinthe with lemonade or limeade". Frederic O'Brien, "White Shadows in the South Seas", 1920, pg. 171
|Created by||"Trader" Vic Bergeron|
|Reference||Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide (1947), pg. 363|
|Posted by||Zachary Pearson on 02/23/2014|
From other users
The comments in Notes pretty much nail it.
- Rye Maple Fizz — Rye, Bitters, Lemon juice, Soda water, Egg white, Grade B maple syrup, Cinnamon
- (Twice) Improved Whiskey Sour — Rye, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Egg white, Honey syrup, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Lemon peel
- Rosarita — Tequila, Lemon juice, Herbal liqueur, Simple syrup, Rosemary
- Champs Elysées — Brandy, Bitters, Lemon juice, Herbal liqueur, Fine sugar
- Lazy Bear — Jamaican rum, Rye, Bitters, Honey syrup, Lime juice
- Clermeil — Añejo rum, Allspice Dram, Lime juice, Herbal liqueur, Maple syrup
- Captain's Blood — Jamaican rum, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Lime
- Solera Sour — Brandy, Bitters, Egg white, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Rattlesnake — Rye, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon juice, Lemon zest, Maple syrup, Egg white
- Lagniappe — Rye, Lemon juice, Blackberry syrup, Hot sauce