Blood and Sand
Scotch, Cherry Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Orange juice, Orange bitters, Orange peel
Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail. Optional bitters and expressed orange twist garnish.
Traditional ratio is 1:1:1:1, but many find it too sweet. Consider splitting scotch 3/4 oz mild plus 1/4 oz Islay (Lagavulin), and use Carpano Antica.
Named for the 1922 Rudolph Valentino movie.
|Created by||Unknown, Savoy Cocktail Book|
|Posted by||Dan on 06/06/2010|
|Quickstart Cocktails||Vintage Cocktails|
From other users
Forewent the bitters and used equal proportions, which worked well for me. Used Carpano Antica and the vanilla flavors were very welcome.
Try subbing Balcones Brimstone for the scotch - seriously delicious.
THE hardest drink to balance. You know it's ready when you taste it.
- Blood & Famine — Sweet vermouth, Cherry Liqueur, Irish whiskey, Orange juice
- Bleeding Castro — Añejo rum, Cherry Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Grapefruit juice, Orange juice
- Airliner — Cognac, Bitters, Sorel liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Grapefruit peel
- Saints and Sinners — Demerara Rum, Cognac, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit juice, Don's Mix
- Mid-Atlantic — Bourbon, Orange liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Orange bitters
- Sun and Sand — Sweet vermouth, Apricot liqueur, Bourbon, Orange juice
- Edith Bunker — Rye, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Orange juice, Aromatized wine
- Frozen Margarita — Tequila, Triple sec, Ice, Lime juice, Lime
- Wonky Sand — Rye, Bourbon, Cherry Liqueur, Islay Scotch, Orange juice, Aromatized wine, Orange peel
- Sage Crew — Cognac, Dry vermouth, Orange juice, Sage syrup, Orange bitters